Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins tell Gruden told he'll be back in 2015

BuhBuhBiggie

Its the move you have to make at the end of the day.  I will say Jay better have a near perfect offseason.  This means cutting the buddy ties with Haslett and have a long look in the mirror.  Team deficiencies aside Jay never got the most out of his players this year.  At times he has like the first half of the Giants game, but playing just 30 to 45 minutes of football seems all to common. 

I'm ok with Gruden being back next year if this is true. Jettisoning him and going through this whole thing again would be even worse, IMO. However, Haslett has GOT to go. Please, for the love of god. I would love to see Allen shown the door as well. The guy brings absolutely nothing to the table besides his name. Hopefully the "good ole boy" network that we have here can be undone, so we can get competent people.

I like this move. Not only does it send a good message to other future coaches but I think Jay can end up doing some good things here. I hope Haz is gone after this year, that will really bother me if they keep him, and hope they get a good GM and promote Bruce to do the things he does well. If we have a good draft and offseason, coaches and players, then we might have a chance to build something great here.

Didn't I read somewhere that Gruden and Griffin are actually neighbors?  That must be awkward these days.

------------

Edit: Yep.  

From July 29, 2014.  such an innocent time, long long ago:

The Grudens moved into their new home in June, after their youngest son, Jack, finished his sophomore year of high school in Ohio, where Gruden had spent the previous three seasons as the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive coordinator.

One night soon after their move-in, the Grudens needed to borrow some ice. So they called the neighbor across the street, a nice young man with a nice young wife. The Grudens were all out on the porch, immersed in a game of Scattergories, when Jack spotted someone creeping through the house. All of a sudden, the young neighbor, Robert Griffin III, came bursting out into the porch, holding a bag of ice, and laughing uncontrollably at the stunned looks at the Grudens’ faces.

“He goes, ‘Game night at the Grudens!’ ” Sherry Gruden says. “And he sat down and played with us for awhile.”

“No,” Jay Gruden corrects her. “He won the first game, then got up and left.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/07/29/jay-gruden-and-robert-griffin-iii-are-neighbors/

Just as likely this was leaked to Russini from Gruden's camp so they'd look even worse for firing him in three weeks.

It's always the "bad guys" that leak stuff.  You know, those rotten ****s that are ruining this franchise.  Mike Nolan, Shanny, Gruden, Lavar, Gregg Williams. 

I usually err on the side of stability but stability for the sake of stability, if you truly believe the coach is inept and/or in over is head is crazy, and just prolonging the inevitable feels like a crazy move.

I just hope this isn't an Allen-buddy-with-Gruden thing.

It's always the "bad guys" that leak stuff.  You know, those rotten ****s that are ruining this franchise.  Mike Nolan, Shanny, Gruden, Lavar, Gregg Williams. 

Agreed,

The thing that gets me all the time is even with below average talent we could field a competitive team.  All that would be required is coaches getting the most out of their players, and getting players to just play hard, consistent, and relatively error free football.  Instead we have this drama filled soap opera of a football team that enjoys being 3-10 with a fair number of people that seem to think their job is starting crap in the media..........I guess that's ego's for you.

Really great news.  I am excited.  Really.  This team and regime has just lost me at this point.  I've been a fan since 1971.  A constant, loyal fan through everything, good & bad.  I'm just tired of groundhog day. We are going to retain a coach who does not believe he needs to motivate players.  He has not proven to be a QB guru, or perhaps we are just terrible at the position. I guess we shall see.  No position has improved this year; QB, offense, defense, special teams, nothing.  I have just lost all enthusiasm and if Jay IS our coach, he needs to change, in many ways.  He has been very poor in every respect, but I hope for the best.  httr

im-excited-im-absolutely-thrilled-cant-y

Gruden sucks, but I'm okay with this. We need some stability, and I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

Now I hope this doesn't mean Griffin is done, as I think giving up on him so early in his career would be a big mistake.

I've been saying all along the best case scenario is that both are here next year. We're halfway there!

This...I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, presenting yourself as a coaching carousel is not a good thing, it makes the established talent stay far away unless they're looking to cash in and hit the beach in 2 years.  In that regard, letting Gruden have another year to make this his team helps.

On the other hand, I don't know if Gruden will improve anything.  He doesn't seem to have an idea of how to make the offense work with the pieces he has, it looks like he'll need to replace most of the pieces and head towards a Cinci-esque offense to find success, most importantly by finding an Andy Dalton 2.0.

And that's where the biggest problem lies.  I don't think Andy Dalton 2.0 exists anywhere for us to get until at least 2016 (not in the NFL, and not in the draft), which means this 2nd year could ultimately be nothing but a lame duck year.

Mix that with a GM who isn't a player guy and the result is he's probably leaning on Gruden and his coaches to help him make picks (along with the scouts, who are of...questionable ability).  The same coaches who are likely to be fired with another bad year.  So of Gruden has another bad year and get fired, not only will we not have found anything close to a coaching solution, we probably won't have built the roster much, and what we have built will be around Jay's systems, which might not be the next guy's systems.

And if Haslett is still here...

.......I mean, I got nuthin'.

There is nothing I can say about Haslett being here next year that doesn't make me just want to give up living.  It's like, would that even be real life?  Would I even be able to feel?

There are leaks every year meant to make people look bad.  There is one common denominator.  Can you pinpoint the common denominator?

Not disagreeing with you at all.

But Lavar doesn't belong on any list that has guys with any kind of actual argument in their favor.

Not disagreeing with you at all.

But Lavar doesn't belong on any list that has guys with any kind of actual argument in their favor.

Well Lavar was on there because of his contract dispute because of a supposed bonus that disappeared in the transactions.  Having been through multiple legal transactions where a number of agreements get modified back and forth with the idea that nothing fishy has been done, I understand how it might happen.

Either every person we deal with that has a gripe is a lying cheating no good ****er, OR, as a franchise we are rotten to the core.

As I have said in other posts, one day I will post a thread laying out every year Snyder has owned the team and showing how a person or persons name/reputation was attempted to be slandered.  It's embarrassing.  Gruden is the latest.  Not that I am saying he is a good coach, but man that bus is out to run him over.

Meanwhile Bruce Allen and his harvest fest and Dan are just innocent by god.

Did I mention Arch Deluxe?

Norv Turner?

Charley Casserly?

Who was the linebacker that was a folding lawn chair?

Haynesworth?

I mean we sign them up with stupid deals, then we blame them for the stupid deals we make.

It's funny.

There are leaks every year meant to make people look bad.  There is one common denominator.  Can you pinpoint the common denominator?

Damn.  This is so true.  We have been a dysfunctional mess for so long.  Dan, and I blindly supported him for years, has ultimately created this mess.  God help us all if he is supposed to be Moses leading us out to salvation.  It's like following Fred Phelps.  Ok, Fred was (is?) worse, but still.... 

I just get the feeling that keeping Gruden is just wasting more time with Allen and Haslett here, both are wastes and we will likely never find out if Gruden is any good anyway with this setup so BLOW IT THE **** UP!!!

If I had to bet though, based on Gruden's schemes his offense would be good with Peyton Manning running it so yeah lets go find the next Manning. While a coach like Shanahan can get away with somebody like Plummer or currently a guy like Sanchez or Cutler. If Gruden was smart he'd be all in for fixing Cousins but apparently that's not happening so really Gruden is a waste here.

Who cares??? Who is the fricken GM gonna be??? Until that happens this is all for naught. You ain't pulling the wool over my eyes again Danny. No GM means the same insanity again next year. I wonder what GM in his right mid would bring back a head coach and a quarterback who got along as wonderfully as Jay and Robert did this year. The wheels on the little burgundy and gold bus just keep going round and round. Absolutely pathetic

Archived