Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins tell Gruden told he'll be back in 2015

BuhBuhBiggie

If you're a FO/Coach in the NFL, you've got to be able to get a reporter to go away.

Though, maybe she wiggled her hips and loosened the lips. I can think of a few posters on here who would go weak in the knees if she wiggled her hips.  (I'm not one of them.)

She's not a bad looking woman, but how weak of a human being/man are you that when a good looking woman asks you for info you just give it? I'd hate to be the person married to whoever is sinking the ship with their loose lips. No will power.

LOL Bringing Zorn back would be icing on the cake

I don't see Allen giving up making the final call on players but if I were him and I wanted to protect myself (and more importantly the team) I would make sure I had one of the deepest benches of personnel folks and scouts who are great talent evaluators.

It would never happen, I'm sure Zorn would never come back, and I'm sure that Dan would never hire Zorn again.

But Zorn was a heck of a good WCO QB coach.  

If I was Allen, that's a responsibility I'd happily delegate.  It's not taking a demotion for him.  He's still the President.  Ultimately, no matter what, it's his responsibility.  If he hired a GM, and the GM screwed up, it's on Bruce anyway, because he hired the GM.  

If you're the President, everything that happens in the organization rolls up to you, because you put it together.

That said, if I was him, I'd hire the best personnel guy I could find.  Doesn't matter who has final say, whether it's Bruce or the new guy.  If Bruce is stupid enough to overrule the new guy, who's a born and bread talent/roster guy, he's stupid as dirt.

I would like to see an empowered McVay as more of a true OC with a totally different QB coach.  Then Jay can concentrate on being the head coach.  I think most of these coaches that keep play calling duty think if they give it up they'll have nothing to do. 

It's far better to have the head coach managing the game real time then buried in a play sheet, it gives him the opportunity to take a step back and say does this make sense, what are we doing right and wrong and how can I exploit or correct this quickly.

I wouldn't mind an empowered McVay with play calling authority.  Partially because I have no idea how good a play caller he might be, because he's never done it.  

But I'd be ok with Gruden as HC and guider of the offense, McVay as the OC, and a new QB coach.

I don't think you want to give up on good, young coaches.  McVay seems like a good, young coach.  You want to keep him, and find a place for him where he can grow and flourish.

But they need a QB coach, OC/Playcaller, and HC. 

We're a little over 49 hours removed from the guy completely quitting on every last one of us and giving up on a game still there to be won. All after he's done the absolute unthinkable and taking last years historical ****storm of a mess and made it even worse!

Yet many are happy as we can't apparently be seen to be a one and done organisation.

Many of y'all are that down trodden through two decades plus of this **** that you're now happily accepting of complete and utter failure.

I honestly can't believe what I read on here at times.

Hail.

I am in the minority, but I didn't mind him quitting. It seemed like a pretty calculated move to me, here's why:

1. Robert was getting KILLED.  Compton at LT, Chester at C, and Polumbus at RT, combined with Luavao still at RG, and (I think) Long at RG was not going to allow anything to be successful.  That combination of players might be the worst OL in the history of the league.  

2. Robert didn't look quite right.  He was sortof gimping around out there.

3. The only way to get back into the game was to drive the ball down the field.  You need at least 2.7-3 seconds before pressure arrives to do that.  They were getting pressure between 1.7 and 2.3 seconds.  

4. If anything, Robert tends to hold the ball a little too long, so by asking him to sit back there behind the OL and drive the ball down field, you're basically asking him to continue to get clobbered.

5. He probably needs Robert healthy for next week.  Colt's neck might have him end up on IR.  If Robert gets hurt, you've got only 1 healthy QB for 2 games. 

I actually thought it was the harder decision to make, to basically wave the white flag, lick your wounds and get out of there.  

If you think back a few years, Zorn did exactly the opposite thing against the Steelers in a game that was essentially over.  He kept JC in there, and tried to get a score late.  And the Steelers players even went up to Zorn and told him he was just going to get his QB killed.

I think there's a point where you know that the situation you're in is not something that you can overcome, and prudence demands that you find the best way out.

The scenario would have been entirely different if the OL was at least intact. The might be bad, but if the starting OL was in, that's a big difference.  And the offense had shown any ability to throw the ball down the field at any point this year in known passing situations.  

Neither of those things were true.  I'm not going to blast Gruden for waving the white flag there.  It was the right thing to do and probably the harder decision to make.

It also probably saved Griffin from a serious injury in (essentially) garbage time.  

If you honestly think that this team as it's currently built can be competitive in the NFL then you must be wearing the same prescription of glasses as Dan Snyder.  This team is "turrible" as Doc would say.  Brian Mitchell and Trevor Matich nailed it in the post game of CSN.  When the starters go down the back ups are woefully out-manned.  That's on Bruce Allen the GM and President.  Not Gruden.

The fact that Jay probably saved Robert's life by not setting him up to get killed contradicts the idea that he doesn't like Griffin.  Did you not see who was on the O-line?!?!  Compton went to Left Tackle, Chester (who can't block even without the ball in his hands) went to center, Polumbus at RT and I think the Rookie Spencer Long came in at RG.  Robert has an issue holding the ball as it is.  The play before that Robert was pretty slow getting up.  I thought he was hurt myself.  Robert would have been sacked in less than 3 seconds.  Guaranteed.  They had already ran a draw so what should they do?  Run two draws back to back?  Gruden explained all that but your blind hatred for him won't allow you to be objective.  Which puts you in the company of the owner whom we all agree is the source for all the ills in the organization. 

You know WHAT is on Gruden?

REGARDLESS of the personnel he's handed (and no question we have a piss poor roster from top to bottom. Many so called starters included that falls on Allen and co. Who incidentally will be retained if Gruden is. Brilliant contradictory logic right there on the above thomas); a HC's job is to coach up what he has and put them in winnable positions. NONE of which has happened at most any time this year, We should, at the very bare minimum, of been seeing progress within the group. Instead, most EVERY player has regressed under him. WE'VE regressed under him. When players are not improving and have, in many case, gone backwards, that's not a talent issue, That's a Coaching issue.

Sacks are up. Third down percentage is historically bad. RZ offense is pathetically non-existent. We have a lower PPG output. All through a Coach who's allegedly an offensive mind. All through a MUCH easier schedule than last year. And let's not even start on the defensive side of the ball. With a coordinator he took the job giving his blessing to work alongside and who he's continued to back.

VERY questionable playcalling/ clock management/ challenges and personnel decisions on a repeated basis ALL year long.

ALL the above falls on the Coach. NOBODY else.

He has absolutely ZERO control over his players. The on-field penalties have unbelievably increased. The locker room mouths continue to embarrass the Hell out of every last one of us. At the VERY least it should of been less bad than last year. If anything, in ALL aspects,the ill discipline has gotten WORSE.

His style of man-management, publically throwing his own players like Hatcher and most notably Griffin under the bus has just set the tone for the continued piss poor culture that prevails here. One he SHOULD of been clamping down on. This utter B/S about his 'honesty' being 'refreshing' is just that. All it's done is both added to the media madness and speculation and caused rifts woth his selective choosing of what players to pull down when all that SHOULD of been done privately.

THAT falls on the HC.

He's gone through not one, not two, but THREE different QB's his first year and failed miserably with them all. On what is supposedly his speciality. And man-managed the situation shockingly.

THAT falls on the HC.

And if you honestly think the last minute 35 disgrace in NJ was the HC protecting a QB he openly doesn't want, and NOT him COMPLETELY quitting on the game/ team/ and EVERY last one of us I honestly don't know WHAT would open your eyes.

Blame Snyder et all all you like. And much of that would be MORE than justified.

But please, can we stop with the B/S excuses for one of the poorest Coaching displays from a completely clueless guy with absolutely NO control or direction over his players I've ever had the misfortune to suffer through.

Hail.

She's not a bad looking woman, but how weak of a human being/man are you that when a good looking woman asks you for info you just give it? I'd hate to be the person married to whoever is sinking the ship with their loose lips. No will power.

I completely agree, except I don't find her in the least remotely attractive.  Eh, to each their own.

Regardless, even if it is a completely naked Scarlett Johansen AND Megan Fox bending over your desk and purring questions into your ear, the right answer is "No comment."  Though that would take a little more willpower, honestly. But it's still the right answer. 

I completely agree, except I don't find her in the least remotely attractive.  Eh, to each their own.

Regardless, even if it is a completely naked Scarlett Johansen AND Megan Fox bending over your desk and purring questions into your ear, the right answer is "No comment."  Though that would take a little more willpower, honestly. But it's still the right answer. 

A-freaking men.

On BOTH counts,.

I don't find her in the least bit attractive either,. She's just a plain, A N Other girl. Certainly not one I could remotely justify caving into and selling out for.

But as you say, regardless of what may or may not of been on offer, or just the simple allure of a stunningly hot woman (which she most certainly is NOT), you DON'T sell out your employers.

Hail.

Glad its not a one and done... also-Can we get one coordinator O or D or both in the booth?  you have to be able to see the field better, coverage or weaknesses easier from the booth to make some better calls.  Other teams may have a good system but we dont, change it up.

Snyderallen should not make any decision on Gruden. That decision should be made by whatever guy is made GM. Same goes with the rest of the FO. Allen can be appointed to VP of some b.s. position where he can do press conferences, organize charity events, and reach out to alumni. If the new GM decides to can Gruden and the entirw FO, fine by me. If he decides to retain everyone not named Haslett for another year, ok by me too. Being fired by a legit GM will npt produce the same toxic paranoia of working here as Snyder doing his best Al Davis impersonation and booting him to the curb personally.

Oh, and if Megan Fox is bending over my desk nekkid, I will tell her ANYTHING she wants to hear

And if you honestly think the last minute 35 disgrace in NJ was the HC protecting a QB he openly doesn't want, and NOT him COMPLETELY quitting on the game/ team/ and EVERY last one of us I honestly don't know WHAT would open your eyes.

I agree with everything in your post but this.  I actually think it was the right call.  I put the reasons in another thread, so I won't derail this one, but I actually think it might have been a criminal offense, punishable by jail time, as at least misdemeanor assault, to allow Griffin to play behind a line of Compton, Luavoa, Chester (at C), Long (I think) and Polumbus.

Compton is an upgrade at RT, but not so much at LT.  Chester is an awful guard, and amazingly worse at C.  Long (I think) is a rookie, playing next to a horrific C, and Polumbus is a catastrophe in pass protection, which we've seen for 3 years.  

AND behind that line, you try to drive the ball down the field in chunks.  Which takes a couple seconds to develop.  

Also note that whatever Gruden might think of Griffin, if Griffin gets hurt, and Colt just left his SECOND game with a neck injury, he might only have one healthy QB going into the last 2 games.  

I think, in this instance, discretion was the better part of valor. Nothing good was going to come of going for it down 2 scores with that OL, and a QB that tends to hang onto the ball too long.  

Shrug, we might have to agree to disagree.  I think there are 1000 things you can lay at Gruden's feet.  This one, I personally think, is a stretch. 

Oh, and if Megan Fox is bending over my desk nekkid, I will tell her ANYTHING she wants to hear

I'd be able to pass up Megan Fox.  Scarlett J. on the other hand... for me, that would take A LOT of willpower not to tell her anything she wanted to know.  I'd like to think I have the willpower to stay silent, but not sure if I do. :P

And let us all agree that NBC Diana aint no Megan Fox OR Scarlett J.  And I'm going to say she's professional enough that she's not bending nekkid over anybody's desk either.  I honestly don't mind her as a reporter, and I know she works hard.  

Jim Hasslet will be the fall guy at end of the season. .I would love to see Allen hit the door also but dont know if it will happen. . Hopefully Gruden can improve next season.

See, if Allen is removed, then I don't think you can do things the right way AND guarantee that Gruden will be back. Whenever we re-do the FO, the GM has to have the authority to change whatever he wants. He can't be told that so-and-so is the coach and so-and-so should be the QB, etc. 

I think the media overblows everything and I think some shady things are going on out there and reporters are either being fed BS or .. who knows. Just get rid of Haslett ... and let's roll with RG3 one more year with Gruden. Maybe Gruden can work some magic with a full off-season and RG3 is humbled. Build the OL, have some offensive consistency ... and see what 2015 brings. If nothing good from QB, then address QB in 2016. 

Is Gruden a good magician or a good coach/QB guru? Hopefully the ladder...

This year Gruden is bringing the boy wonder back down to earth.

Next year he will mold him back into being Superman. New OL pending of course.

Year after next Gruden will part the Red Sea, cure Cancer and walk on water.

I think Robert will be back with Gruden mostly because nobody will give us a decent pick for him based on his play and the fact he will be in the last year of his contract.

I think it will be an open competition next year and Cousins will mop the floor with him and start the regular season.  Whether Cousins can stop being a turnover machine is another story, if he turns the ball over like he did this year he may not get another opportunity with any team.

The same Kirk who has been inactive the last 6 weeks in spite of being 100% healthy? #wishfulthinking

See, if Allen is removed, then I don't think you can do things the right way AND guarantee that Gruden will be back. Whenever we re-do the FO, the GM has to have the authority to change whatever he wants. He can't be told that so-and-so is the coach and so-and-so should be the QB, etc. 

That's what everyone 'celebrating' is so glaringly missing.

Let's take this on face value and say it's true and Grudens been told already his job is safe.

Just WHAT exactly has changed there? It's the same dysfunctional B/S we so DESPERATLY need to get away from and can't as even moving/ firing Allen and hiring an independent GM would be pointless as you've completely undermined him from the get go by handing him his Coach.

Hail.

If I was Robert Griffin, I would quietly cash my checks next season, enjoy the freedom free agency provides at season's end and sign with a professional franchise as far away from DC as I could get. I can understand why this unofficial endorsement might very well be a reality but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I no longer have confidence in jay gruden, his offense, his play calling acumen or his coaching ability at this point. Could Gruden make me a believer by the end of next season if in fact he doesn't get fired at the end of this season? Maybe but I seriously doubt it... 

... firing Allen and hiring an independent GM would be pointless as you've completely undermined him from the get go by handing him his Coach.

Hail.

I would plan on hunkering down with Bruce for another year as GM, but having AJ Smith as Director of Personnel.

Sorry, I know that's not what you want, but that's the word from Cooley.  That's good enough for me, for now.

Take whatever joy from knowing Haz will ruin our day only two more times, and he could ruin the season for the Cowboys on his way out the door.  The one thing he has done well.

If I was Robert Griffin, I would quietly cash my checks next season, enjoy the freedom free agency provides at season's end and sign with a professional franchise as far away from DC as I could get. I can understand why this unofficial endorsement might very well be a reality but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I no longer have confidence in jay gruden, his offense or his coaching ability at this point. Could Gruden make me a believer by the end of next season if in fact he doesn't get fired at the end of this season? Maybe but I seriously doubt it... 

If I was Robert I would soak up all the criticism I could, and take the hard coaching to make me better.  Once I started playing better I would always be grateful for the Coach who showed me what I had to do to succeed.  

The person you described is not RG3 at his best.  There are plenty of players in the NFL's history that fought through the tough times and learned to play great.  

Breaking a man's ego isn't always pretty, but it is necessary to establish leadership over certain men sometimes.  Not all men, but this kid was out of control.  That twitter / facebook nonsense has ended and Jay Gruden is to thank.  Why can't everyone see this?  

Do we want RG3 mania, with the player controlling the message and team?

I just think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture without the emotions and hatred for the FO.  Pretend we're another team, maybe it will make more sense.

I am in the minority, but I didn't mind him quitting. It seemed like a pretty calculated move to me, here's why:

1. Robert was getting KILLED.  Compton at LT, Chester at C, and Polumbus at RT, combined with Luavao still at RG, and (I think) Long at RG was not going to allow anything to be successful.  That combination of players might be the worst OL in the history of the league.  

2. Robert didn't look quite right.  He was sortof gimping around out there.

3. The only way to get back into the game was to drive the ball down the field.  You need at least 2.7-3 seconds before pressure arrives to do that.  They were getting pressure between 1.7 and 2.3 seconds.  

4. If anything, Robert tends to hold the ball a little too long, so by asking him to sit back there behind the OL and drive the ball down field, you're basically asking him to continue to get clobbered.

5. He probably needs Robert healthy for next week.  Colt's neck might have him end up on IR.  If Robert gets hurt, you've got only 1 healthy QB for 2 games. 

I actually thought it was the harder decision to make, to basically wave the white flag, lick your wounds and get out of there.  

If you think back a few years, Zorn did exactly the opposite thing against the Steelers in a game that was essentially over.  He kept JC in there, and tried to get a score late.  And the Steelers players even went up to Zorn and told him he was just going to get his QB killed.

I think there's a point where you know that the situation you're in is not something that you can overcome, and prudence demands that you find the best way out.

The scenario would have been entirely different if the OL was at least intact. The might be bad, but if the starting OL was in, that's a big difference.  And the offense had shown any ability to throw the ball down the field at any point this year in known passing situations.  

Neither of those things were true.  I'm not going to blast Gruden for waving the white flag there.  It was the right thing to do and probably the harder decision to make.

It also probably saved Griffin from a serious injury in (essentially) garbage time.  

Guess I'm in the minority too then.

I didn't even bat an eye at the move.  I would have done the same thing in that situation.

There was no way the Skins were coming back anyway.  What would have been the point?

I'm fine with this as long as they fire Haslett. 

Offseason:

Fire Haslett

Acquire the best offensive linemen available in FA

Draft the best offensive linemen possible

Have an open QB competition between RG3 and Cousins

would be best case scenario to be honest. but, you know, its the redskins...

Archived