Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So do you start RGIII in week 13?

gatito

Cousins has played almost exactly 1/3rd of a season.  So if we triple his numbers we get the following for a full season:

378 completions in 612 attempts for 5130 yards.  30 touchdowns and 27 INTs over a full season.  320 yards per game and 8.4 yards per attempt.

If Cousins played for a real team, they would consider that a very promising season for a young QB, and go into the next year with him as the starter, and the goal of fixing his INT problem.  If they suceed, they'd have a franchise QB for the best part of a decade.  If they fail, he becomes a career backup and the team moves onto the next QB.

However, this clown show of a team will give RG3 another year.

PS: Our single-season passing yards record is 4109, by Jay Schroeder in 1986.  Only once has a Redskins QB thrown for 30+ TDs in a season.  I won't say who it was or how long ago, but here's a hint: that guy has spent the last 40 years doing radio.

Nice post. I think had Cousins played a full season he could have got to 30 td's and maybe around 20 or so picks. He would have easily surpassed the 4,100 that Schroeder had. That was Schroeder's first year and I think he had 22 or so picks. My issue with Cousins is when he throws his ints they seem to be at the worst possible moments. On top of that he seems to fold mentally. He doesn't have a short memory. I do think he can be a very good QB if they coach him up some and work on his mental game. No way would RG3 put these numbers up had he played a full season. He has a paltry 2 td passes in 4 starts. I would prefer that they go back to Cousins so the wr's can get involved back into the offense, live with the turnovers and see if he can improve.

You're delusional if you think all of the other 31 teams would have zero interest in Griffin.  It's simply mind-boggling that so many people (myself included) thought we could get a third rounder for Cousins (a guy who had only a handful of starts under his belt), but a former Heisman, and Rookie of the Year winner wouldn't fetch us ****?  Get real.....

I know this post was a while ago, but what about Vince Young? 2nd in Heisman voting and Rookie of the Year. He was straight up released and got a 1 year deal with the Eagles. He bounced around the league on one year deals for 4 years never really playing again.

Look, sometimes QB's don't work out in the NFL. It happens. It's not an insult to you if Griffin just isn't cut out for the NFL. He'll survive on the millions he's made on his endorsements and rookie deal. Don't feel bad for him.

Nice post. I think had Cousins played a full season he could have got to 30 td's and maybe around 20 or so picks. ...  My issue with Cousins is when he throws his ints they seem to be at the worst possible moments. On top of that he seems to fold mentally. He doesn't have a short memory. I do think he can be a very good QB if they coach him up some and work on his mental game. 

I think that "20" is a little too optimist, considering he was on pace for 27.

I agree that his INTs have been horrific and seem to leave him shellshocked.  However, it is a problem that is fixable for some QBs, and the chances of fixing it with him are far greater than fixing the literally everything about RG3 that makes him not a real NFL QB.

I would start McCoy the rest of this season, since he's earned it.  Open competition in 2015 training camp, with tiebreakers to Cousins since he has the best upside.

25 seconds is the amount of time it takes Winston to forget anything that's ever happened to him in his entire life.

We can't draft him. He could be a great player but it won't happen here. If we make a move that carries any potential for massive and embarrassing failures, that's exactly what we get.

I'm not saying I think it'll happen and yeah completely agree its a bit of a boom or bust move. 

Just think Winston is by far and away the most talented QB in this draft class. Only thing stopping Winston being a great NFL QB is Jameis Winston though. 

We're far more likely to end up with Connor Cook as mentioned previously on here. Not against that move either. Just obviously think theres a lot less upside.

I swear, people keep bringing up 2012 like he had an MVP season and won the Super Bowl for us that year.

The funny part to me is that if you would have asked about RG3 in the first 9 weeks of the season, there wouldn't have been all this commotion about his stats. We were terrible to start the season. It's just because of a miraculous 7 game run to end the season that the hype train got started.

The best part of this for me is that I'm fine with Griffin starting the rest of the year. 2 weeks ago I figured there was a good chance (50%+) he'd go out there and all my clamoring for Cousins would prove to be foolish. But every week he continues to start he looks even worse, further cementing what I've been saying since 2013. It's great vindication. Better, I don't have to worry anymore about him going out there and having a great game to redeem himself (in the prediction thread I figured the game would be close enough to give everyone hope again, but Griffin said f- that).

Before anyone gets all upset about that last paragraph, please don't. I'm not a Redskins hater, just a Griffin hater. The worse he plays, the better our draft pick, and we get to move on from him in 2015. Griffin playing horrendously is the best thing for this team right now. As much as I'd like Cousins out there getting better, that doesn't do any good because he'll steal some wins that Griffin wouldn't.

Obviously there are times Robert needs to stand in the pocket and make a throw on 3rd and 8....I'm not saying he's without blame....how about the coach help Morgan Moses and maybe give Robert a better chance?

How about Gruden call more then two screens and two bootlegs the entire game? how about Gruden let Robert throw on first down more? He was 5 for 6 on first down against the Niners.....last two drives excluded.

I keep seeing this help Morgan Moses...are you pinning the offensive woes on Moses?

And why exclude the last two drives.

And since when do we want Griffin throwing on first more? Everyone's complaining about not running enough and now you want to throw on first?

You keep picking out things that Gruden doesn't do...how bout what he does do? How many PA passes, what griffins best at...? 9?...

Winston from what I've heard would be considered a can't miss prospect if not for his off the field stuff. He's running a pro style offense reading defenses from under center and throwing it in small windows. Not to mention the guy is about as clutch as can be. He's an absolute killer when his team is down in the second half.

No chance he's available when we draft unless investigators find that the rape allegations are legit. If they are he shouldn't be in the NFL at all.

Winston from what I've heard would be considered a can't miss prospect if not for his off the field stuff. He's running a pro style offense reading defenses from under center and throwing it in small windows. Not to mention the guy is about as clutch as can be. He's an absolute killer when his team is down in the second half.

No chance he's available when we draft unless investigators find that the rape allegations are legit. If they are he shouldn't be in the NFL at all.

Oh, there's definitely a chance he's available when we draft. We might not win a game, some of the other terrible teams have decent young QBs, and Winston has all the off the field issues.

Draft Winston, seriously?  We don't need another media ****storm.  And we all know how seemingly perfect QB's in college translate into Redskin QB's.  Keep Colt, Kirk, and find another QB via trade or FA.

I've never seen the dude play, don't really watch college, but I think we should just wait on QB's and see how these 3 turn out. We haven't been successful drafting QB's so why would this next one work out?

We've used 2x as many #1s on QB's as any other team in the league in the past 2 decades and have nothing to show for any of them so far.

Shuler

Johnson

Ramsey

Campbell

RG3 (I think the 3 is for how many #1s he was supposed to be worth)

Oh and Snyder almost traded 3 #1s to Denver for Cutler too. That would've turned out great, right? Cutler wouldn't even be in the league anymore. Look how many coaches he's cost jobs in Chicago.

One of the reasons everyone was so high on him coming into the draft has nothing to do with physical talent. Guys like Mike Mayock raved about his mental makeup and its time like these that will test that makeup.  He needs time.   His career started out like it was shot out of cannon, then he was injured and his development stalled entirely.   This is adversity and he has the makeup to overcome it.  If the team gives him time, and he proves able to get past this rough patch, I think he will be great.  He's not the only young quarterback struggling in the league, but he's the only one you hear all the drama surrounding right now.  IF everyone can be patient it doesn't have to be over yet.  he isn't a robot, he's a person that can improve and change and overcome.  

Huh? Finger pointing? Dude YOU asked ME and I responded.

I don't believe the things YOU believe. I don't believe Griffin need tutoring nor do I believe he's a fundamentally flawed QB in need of fixing. So of course your idea seems crazy to me. Your idea tries to fix things that aren't broken.

And lets be clear about the whole ALL parties bit. Gruden is the one doing all the talking. Lets not be false and make it seem as if Griffin and Jay are go tit for tat. Griffin screwed up once but it wasn't intentional, he didn't intend to call out his teammates. Gruden's comments were with intent and have been numerous.

Griffin's only strength is RO? ...Sure..Great!

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you or me finger-pointing, it was directed at the players/coaches, whether directly or indirectly.

So you are saying that Griffin doesn't have bad habits, which are flaws in his ability to make plays? ok, its your opinion.  When he plays, he will commit the same errors as before because his habits under pressure, its a natural reaction, which I was referring to him getting QB coaching help.

Gruden's comments, whether you, I, or anyone else likes them, is his to deal with; he has seen much more than any of us being the coach, and if he feels it needed to be said to get players attention then its his doing, and none of us have more experience in coaching than he does.

The RO was his bread and butter because no one knew how to defend it; He made some plays not in RO it was the RO which opened up things on the field.

I still say that he needs QB coaching, which is what a lot of other former coaches and players are saying now; for HIS health he should step away from behind center now is the only difference.

What's funny, no one brings up his performance against Dallas to win the NFC East in 2012: 50% passing and 100 yards.

Which is why I felt it should have been a co-MVP between Griffin and Morris.

Quoting this because there has been no answer to it yet, and I'm interested in it as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/mike-shanahan-tried-to-stick-with-robert-griffin-iii-and-might-have-lost-him-instead/2013/12/02/656d75bc-5ba6-11e3-a66d-156b463c78aa_story.html

That led to an offseason of ominous tweets, texts to ESPN anchors and quotes the next few months from Griffin and his father. Remember “a running quarterback is a losing quarterback”?

Say this to a fan of any of the other 31 NFL teams.  Say this to someone who is not emotionally invested in the Redskins.  He will laugh in your face and tell you how clueless our fanbase and owner is.

Serious question: Are you Dan Snyder?  He is 50 years old, your nickname says you're 50.  Your QB evaluation seems very similar to his, and so is your desire to make unequal trades of draft picks to pick up the player you want.

Hi. I have been a Redskins fan for over 50 yrs and I wish I were 50 yrs old. I go back to Eddie L. I was born in 49. As far as starting RG3 in every game I feel you have to because of the PRICE YOU PAID FOR HIM. He is by far the best QB we have but that is not saying much at the moment. Do you honestly think McCoy or Kirk could have done what RG3 did 2 yrs ago? Did McCoy or Cousins win ROTY or the Heisman? I said many times that I was against the RG3 deal but now that he is here you have to use him. You would be foolish to cut him loose before seeing what his potential can be on a good team. Our line stinks period. If we improve our line I think you will see a improvement in Robert. He has not fully recovered from his injuries and he is learning a new offence for the second time in 3 yrs. We are not winning the super bowl this year so let Robert play and learn. Cheers

Lord...I really didn't they would do it.

Mannnn 

Schefter on ESPN -- "I think that's way premature" on the team readying to give up on RGIII. Schefter calls it a "time out" #Redskins

Everything that Gruden has done the last couple of weeks pointed to it. That's why I kept saying just bench him already, there was no need for RG to take shots when the coach does not want you has the QB. Now's the time for RG to be selfish and put his health over the team and trying to prove people wrong.

Archived