Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB: Diagnosing What Ails RG3

brandymac27

I am beginning to think "We" are going to run this QB out of here.  From game one, going to a Skins Fans club and listening the pathetic insults they lay on him is absolutely foolish (I haven't gone back this year).  "Kirk Cousins should be playing"  "RG3 is injury prone, not a pocket passer"  "his gone after the season" etc.. etc...

Now I will say he did not have a good game against the BUC's, but there are too many negatives outside of just our QB that always seems to be forgotten.  I also think he needs time to not only develop, but time to regain his confidence.  Time will tell. 

In addition, there are many holes that need to be filled and one of them is to bolster both our fronts (OL, DL) that's where its won (beating you up front). 

Im just tired of seeing something or hearing something everyday about RG3, and with that said Im beginning to think because of that we are beginning to push him out.

You damn right we're pushing him out. This is professional football. If you suck in the NFL, you get criticized, pushed out, etc. If he starts playing better which needs to happen ASAP, then the noise will decrease. Griffin is 0-8 in his last 8 starts in which he played the entire game. No more needs to be said.

Two points:

1) I don't understand how ppl come to the conclusion that fans can push a player out.

It's called fandom, it has an effect, can create impressions, opinions on guys that when result don't come can unfairly help things go past a tipping point and create an avalanche. I'm most worried about it b/c I see good in Robert and I'm loyal to a winner, especially with this franchise. I don't want to throw him out emotionally or in reality. His problems are mental right now, want to see more positive, constructive energy for the guy. If he plays himself out of a job so be it, being "done" with him after every mistake along the way is pointless to me. Symptom of a team and fanbase that is bent back onto itself...disfigured, insane.

Probably right about going to the next team. Could also end up as a backup on a better team and get a shot and run with it. Like I said, he has ability and has shown it, I believe he will show it again.

Those of you that cling on to the 2012 season as a reason not to end this RG3 project need to admit that the Shannahan's were as much responsible for RG3's rookie of the year award as RG himself.  They crafted a one read system that hid his faults and that the rest of the league wasn't prepared for.  2 years later, you can no longer run that system as the basis of an offense and RG is no longer close to that player physically. 

It was fun while it lasted but it's time to move on.  Hopefully before he gets another quality coach run out of town.

Fans and media won't be happy until he's run out of town

Happy? The only path to happy available to fans is for RG3 to turn it around and play great. No one is happy that Griffin is failing because of how hard it is to be in position to draft another top prospect at the position. Not to mention the growing pains involved.

I want nothing more than for Robert to suddenly get it and start playing like a probowl QB. I'm pretty sure most fans want the same.

Happy? The only path to happy available to fans is for RG3 to turn it around and play great. No one is happy that Griffin is failing because of how hard it is to be in position to draft another top prospect at the position. Not to mention the growing pains involved.

I want nothing more than for Robert to suddenly get it and start playing like a probowl QB. I'm pretty sure most fans want the same.

Exactly. 2012 was the greatest time in my Skins fandom and he was the biggest part of it.

I want nothing more than to have him get back there. 

Nothing more.

Not saying you Destino, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like many fans around here want him here anymore.

Has he played poorly lately, yes. The problem though, is his poor play is so much more magnified than other QBs because the rest of our team sucks right now. I posted numbers last week comparing RG3's last 5 games to those of Wilson. There wasn't a huge difference, besides the Seahawks are the better team. Wilson hasn't thrown for 200+yds in 4 straight games. We had people on here bashing RG3 in Week 1 when he completed 78% of his passes for 267yds.

Griffin isn't going to carry us like he did in 2012. That run masked alot of the holes we had on this team. Unfortunately since he isn't the 2012 version of himself, the other holes are very, very clear now. He has to be great week in and week out in order for this team to overcome those problems.

We saw what decent QB could do for this team with Colt/Kirk playing. The results weren't much better. This is a whole team problem, yet Griffin is the one catching all the flack about how poorly he's playing.

We saw what decent QB could do for this team with Colt/Kirk playing. The results weren't much better. This is a whole team problem, yet Griffin is the one catching all the flack about how poorly he's playing.

The reason RG3 is catching more attention is the problems the rest of the team are obvious.  Everyone knows our o-line sucks and needs to be revamped.  Everyone knows our safeties suck and need to be replaced.  RG3 isn't playing well but what do you do?  Do you keep playing him and hope he gets it?  Do you give a veteran a chance who has never played well before except for a couple of games with the Skins.  Do you have RG3 run more? ...  Lots more to talk about there versus the other obvious problems the team has.

Tangible, valid, fact based criticism. No personal attacks or insults.'

Yep, that is being a "hater" all right.

Posts like this are exactly what is wrong with ES and the whole RG3 debate. Say anything negative (no matter how valid) and you're labeled a hater.

And the thing is, the O-Line isn't helping at all. We know that. But when he gets a clean pocket like the screenshots above, he's got to take advantage...

It sucks man. I remember going to bat for the dude in 2012 (and even 2013) against everyone...but I just can't do it anymore

How many threads are on ES pertaining to RG3?  Hate, because how many times do I have to come to ES and see something esle about RG3?  How many articles are there pertaining to other specific areas of concern with images other than a QB?  Because RG3 has a bad game its the headlines all over everywhere, with nothing pertaining to the other areas of our football team.  

Im just tired of the News always having to deal with the QB. 

You damn right we're pushing him out. This is professional football. If you suck in the NFL, you get criticized, pushed out, etc. If he starts playing better which needs to happen ASAP, then the noise will decrease. Griffin is 0-8 in his last 8 starts in which he played the entire game. No more needs to be said.

Dallas hasnt pushed out choker Romo yet

Dallas hasnt pushed out choker romoSUCKS yet

This is post is laughable...

No matter his postseason failures, #9 is a great QB and has proven it for nearly a decade.

This proves my earlier point that fan perception won't push a QB out. Only his play. Romo is a pro bowl caliber player every season. I'd love for RG3 to do that

2013 RG3 looked like a QB who still had potential to develop.  I don't understand the extent of the regression. At this point it doesn't look like he has a chance.  Can't believe Gruden starts him again vs San Fran.  he can't function as a pro QB.  He is gona get killed.  I think he gets benched next week to end the RG3 era.

RG needs time on the field learning these new passing concepts, his first year no matter how great it was, actually was a problem for his development. The Shanny's wanted to win so they used what he was good at (that's actually good management) Cooley mentioned on the radio yesterday that RG was told when the first read wasn't there he (RG III) was the check down, so he was supposed to run. This is what he was coached his first year. The second year he tries to learn to play the WCO while recovering from injury that is a tuff task for anyone. The third year another new offense and another injury, the guy has all the arm talent just needs time to get comfortable knowing what to do and when to do it all while dodging 2 or three defenders. 

With that said, he would have to be a fool to want to stay with the franchise with all the heat he takes for nothing, he is not a seasoned vet. he is in his early 20's and learning many aspects of his NFL life, team, Pro offense and media relations. The funny thing is McNabb tried to help him prepare for what was going to happen, the pressure and the Love - Hate relationship the fans will have. RG III was naive enough to think that these people would always like him, i think he is having a hard time understanding the Hate and dealing, now he is so worried about what people will say and how he will be critiqued that he just trying so hard not to make a mistake. The guy needs to leave and find a team where he can develop and just get back to football.

Side note how do they know what the progression is? On the third one someone ran the wrong route, 2 receivers shouldn't be in the same spot IMO

How many threads are on ES pertaining to RG3?  Hate, because how many times do I have to come to ES and see something esle about RG3?  How many articles are there pertaining to other specific areas of concern with images other than a QB?  Because RG3 has a bad game its the headlines all over everywhere, with nothing pertaining to the other areas of our football team.  

Im just tired of the News always having to deal with the QB. 

I don't care that people want to talk about RGIII, but every thread seems to devolve into a conversation of everything RGIII.  I'm fine talking about RGIII, but none of "his" threads are sticking to a singular topic.  Therefore any conversation about specific points gets lost in the general malaise. 

He'll be here the rest of the year. He'll compete in training camp, WIN THE ******* JOB because he's THE BEST ******* QB ON THE ROSTER. Then he'll QB a bottom of the barrel team with laughable expectations through another mediocre season, he'll be browbeaten EVERY STEP OF THE WAY and that will be it. Free agency and a spot on another team. He will succeed notoriously on the next team, the Skins will become the Piglets, wear pink not only in October but every game and that will be that. Oh, and they'll get protested by the free range pork people and vegetarian lobby. The story has been written.

I'm already bracing for Chip Kelly and the Eagles signing him as a unrestricted free agent in 2016, putting him in a solid, stable organization with a properly built team and coming back to steamroll the Skins with Cousins, Mccoy, or whatever flavor of the moment journeyman pocket passer the morons in the fanbase are in love with at the time.

Sorry, but I think most of this blame goes to Gruden. He seems to say "I" when they team wins and "we" or "they" when the team loses. Seriously, who takes their own QB's statements out of context and then turns it around to attack their own QB? Gruden seems more worried about trying to win his way, with his system than actually winning. Don't even get me started on the running pitch plays.

I want RG3 to leave, not because we lost to a bad team (now thats his fault? Its been happening for a long time), but so he can succeed somewhere else and leave this toxic town and venomous franchise with it's hateful fans. I've always wondered why players would leave this team and then go on to successful careers elsewhere, now I know why.

According to Steve Young he has talked to III's previous coaches and they said III doesn't want to put in the time. Sorry, but there is too much smoke coming from all directions for there not to be some truth to it.

I wouldn't have believed this until I read what Gruden said about him taking 3 steps when he is supposed to take 5 and looking to the wrong side of the field.  He talks about getting better but he seems to think it is about his athleticism and not running the plays as they are supposed to be run.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do.

According to Steve Young he has talked to III's previous coaches and they said III doesn't want to put in the time. Sorry, but there is too much smoke coming from all directions for there not to be some truth to it.

If that is indeed true, its hard to argue with. He spends so much energy on physical shape, he needs to devote that to mental shape.

I'm already bracing for Chip Kelly and the Eagles signing him as a unrestricted free agent in 2016, putting him in a solid, stable organization with a properly built team and coming back to steamroll the Skins with Cousins, Mccoy, or whatever flavor of the moment journeyman pocket passer the morons in the fanbase are in love with at the time.

Man, that would be so dark.

Archived