Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Team-by-Team High Round (1/2) Selections on the Fronts - Note: We're Not Good.

KDawg

Washington Redskins

Trent Williams, Round 1, Pick 4 (2010)

Also added: Rocky McIntosh, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Jarvis Jenkins, Trent Murphy.  The least resources drafted in the fronts. Also, no interior LBs in the early rounds and only ONE interior DL. 

Just painful.

Man, I had just started getting my afternoon buzz on and then I read this thread.  So depressing.  Thanks for the effort and buzzkill KDawg. :)

The mindset of our FO that we could draft OL later in the draft and get away with it has been shown to be seriously flawed.  And to top it off, when we have drafted OL in the middle rounds they have turned out to be crap.

Pouring this one out for Joe Bugel.  Man, do I miss that guy.

LT:  Joe Jacoby - UDFA - 4 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro, NFL All-Decade Team 80's, 70 Greatest Redskins

LG:  Russ Grimm - Redskins 3rd Round Pick, 4 time Pro Bowl, 4 Time All Pro, NFL All-Decade Team 80's, 70 Greatest Redskins

C:  Jeff Bostic - UDFA - 1 time Pro Bowl, 1 Time All Pro, 70 Greatest Redskins

RG:  Mark May - Redskins 1st Round Pick, 1 time Pro Bowl, 70 Greatest Redskins

RT:  George Stark - Redskins 11th Round Pick

TE:  Don Warren - Redskins 4th Round Pick, 70 Greatest Redskins

Key Thing ... Started their Careers with the Redskins ... Bostic bounced but didn't stick until he made the Skins.  i.e., they hadn't shown that they couldn't cut it as a starting NFL lineman before the Skins put them in the starting lineup.

Very hard to find a high quality o-lineman on the FA list ... most are on the back-side of the hill and slipping fast or they wouldn't be available.  Teams don't let good linemen go.

On the same note, what is up with our OL coach?  He's surely not getting it done.  Developing the guys we do have up front has been non-existent.  

I wonder how much of that is on our coaches and how much of that is based on talent alone?  I know you can't turn a guy who doesn't have what it takes to play in the league into a pro bowl OL, but other than Trent we haven't been able to develop one guy on the OL who can replace the garbage up there.  Mind blowing stuff.

places I've found listed him as 3-4

I've seen that also ... but I've also seen a site that had him as a 6th round prospect.  There was a lot of chatter at the time that it was a reach to take him in the 3rd.

On the same note, what is up with our OL coach?  He's surely not getting it done.  Developing the guys we do have up front has been non-existent.  

I wonder how much of that is on our coaches and how much of that is based on talent alone?  I know you can't turn a guy who doesn't have what it takes to play in the league into a pro bowl OL, but other than Trent we haven't been able to develop one guy on the OL who can replace the garbage up there.  Mind blowing stuff.

Trent was hardly "developed" ... I'm sure he's been getting refinements from someone since he was picked ... but he was penciled in as the starter the moment his name was announced as the Skins pick.

Trent was hardly "developed" ... I'm sure he's been getting refinements from someone since he was picked ... but he was penciled in as the starter the moment his name was announced as the Skins pick.

That's kind of my point.  Other than drafting somebody who is penciled in as a starter year one, we haven't developed one single guy who is good enough to play as a starter.

And if you don't think Trent has developed, then we'll agree to disagree.  

That's kind of my point.  Other than drafting somebody who is penciled in as a starter year one, we haven't developed one single guy who is good enough to play as a starter.

And if you don't think Trent has developed, then we'll agree to disagree.  

we can probably agree to agree.  As the 4th overall pick he was the starter.  He's getting better ... but even if he hadn't he'd still be our best o-lineman

Great research, KD. It's disheartening in the extreme, but the data certainly confirms the perception that this organization has undervalued the lines for years. We currently face a three pronged problem.

1.) The F.O. bucks conventional wisdom and disregards the lines, refusing the invest top round picks on the OL.

2.) Due to having a substandard scouting department, when we do spend a mid-late round pick on the OL, they don't pick the right personnel.

3.) The current coaching staff(s) have no track record of developing drafted OL talent.

That's a tough trifecta to overcome. My solution is draft the top available OL/DL with our top picks if they are BPA, that way we don't have to prove we can hit on late picks or trade backs (we can't) or that we can develop and coach up projects (we also can't).

We really do have to address the line and it is criminal that we have not in the past but it is not just a case of using the draft or FA to address the line - But it is a case of getting the right people in.

Would it make anyone feel any better had we picked Mosses in the 2nd and Murphy in the third ?

I actually believe the guy who would have been our best bet at RT is currently playing for the bills and was taken in the 7th round and the Bills also hit gold with Peters (then traded him away) who was undrafted. Meanwhile the 4th overall pick and highest rated OL to come out this season still is waiting his chance to start on a 1-4 team ...

Still you cannot fix the lines if you are not committed to it and resources need to be spent .

GREAT Thread.  I have wanted to do this same thread.  As I have stated multiple times, we will never win as long as the majority of our starters came here via free agency.  Until we draft out own, starting on the offensive and defensive lines, we will never be a contender.

I'm going to drown myself in a bottle of scotch after reading this.

I'm hoping and praying we address both lines with our 1st and 2nd picks this year, and to have Long/Moses both develop into starters for next season. Since this is the Redskins we're talking about, neither of those things will happen. But I can dream right?

Just about the only positive thing I can take away now is, we're mostly pretty good with the skill positions.  So no reason to dump high picks there.

We'll have a first round pick in the 2015 draft, we need some big guys.  First round for sure, but if there's a quality lineman available in the 2nd round, maybe one who's fallen farther than expected, we should grab him too.

It wouldn't make our o-line perfect, but an addition of two solid starters would make a big difference.

AlMo and Griffin would appreciate it.

Thanks for putting all that info together KDawg...

Just pitiful compared to the rest of the league. As others have stated, the best way to build your offensive and defensive lines are from within via draft picks.

A majority of those drafts were overseen by Cerrato. As we all know, his draft strategy involved picking the best player available vs team need. Apparently it was very difficult to be a "best player" at an offensive line position.

Allen. I don't know what to make of him at this point considering many of his drafts have been hamstrung by the Griffin trade which I would assum was mostly Shanahan's decision. I guess we will see how well he handles the offensive line through the upcoming draft.

Assuming we have a top 5 pick, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down for a late 1st and a 2nd (plus anything else anyone might be willing timo give up) and grabbing a RT and a few G's in the first two rounds. Add some other offensive linemen in after that for good measure. I'm no draft genius but that has to be our main focus for the next two to three drafts.

Linemen don't sell tickets.

Yes they do. That's the misconception that infects our owner and the talent evaluators he hires. Great linemen make stars out of other players. Great offensive lines make stars out of Mark Rypien. Great D-linemen make Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson look like Neon Deon.

Yes they do. That's the misconception that infects our owner and the talent evaluators he hires. Great linemen make stars out of other players. Great offensive lines make stars out of Mark Rypien. Great D-linemen make Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson look like Neon Deon.

You preaching to the choir.

I used to roll my eyes at the Snyder hate. I can't deny reality anymore

I actually loved the Kelly pick at the time FWIW.

Of course I wasn't privy to the medical reports the boneheaded bungling twosome were. But having watched Malcom tear it up week on week prior to the injury with what was top bracket receiving talent for the Sooners it seemed a calculated gamble to me. Kelly was a tragic waste of limitless natural talent.

It was the Thomas and Davis picks prior to that one I hated.

Hail.

Kelly had stick'em type hands - his knees were shot though obviously.

Archived