Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the Skins will need next year

carex

I remember all summer thinking well at least we are not as screwed up as the Browns. Their owner fired the club prez and GM, fired the head coach and assistants, hired a head coach that nobody ever heard of because it seemed like nobody else wanted the job, lost their best player for the year to suspension and didn't draft anyone to replace him, drafted a QB that quickly became a mistake, signed some old free agents like Miles Austin, Donte Whitner and Karlos Dansby, over paid the oft injured Ben Tate and the list goes on and on.  

Well in his first season Mike Pettine has turned it around with Brian freakin Hoyer at QB a bunch of no name receivers and Kyle Shanahan as his OC. The could easily be 5-0 at this point. In the past they drafted well at OL, DL and have a lock down CB. The Redskins are battling Oakland and Jacksonville and maybe Tampa for the worst team in the NFL. 

Probably not the best thread for this post but I guess I'm just thinking it isn't that hard to turn it around quickly if you get the right people in place making good decisions and like so many people have already said as far as players go you have to start with the OL and DL and you can win games with the likes of Brian Hoyer, Travis Benjamin and Ben Tate.     

This is the result of a team thinking they're more talented than they really are.

Cleveland new the talent level was minimal. They're playing with a chip on their shoulder. Pettine obviously knew how to push the buttons of his players. Gruden is stuck with a lockerroom mentality of ego and arrogance. Ain't no first year head coach gonna come in and reshape that.

I remember all summer thinking well at least we are not as screwed up as the Browns. Their owner fired the club prez and GM, fired the head coach and assistants, hired a head coach that nobody ever heard of because it seemed like nobody else wanted the job, lost their best player for the year to suspension and didn't draft anyone to replace him, drafted a QB that quickly became a mistake, signed some old free agents like Miles Austin, Donte Whitner and Karlos Dansby, over paid the oft injured Ben Tate and the list goes on and on.  

Well in his first season Mike Pettine has turned it around with Brian freakin Hoyer at QB a bunch of no name receivers and Kyle Shanahan as his OC. The could easily be 5-0 at this point. In the past they drafted well at OL, DL and have a lock down CB. The Redskins are battling Oakland and Jacksonville and maybe Tampa for the worst team in the NFL. 

Probably not the best thread for this post but I guess I'm just thinking it isn't that hard to turn it around quickly if you get the right people in place making good decisions and like so many people have already said as far as players go you have to start with the OL and DL and you can win games with the likes of Brian Hoyer, Travis Benjamin and Ben Tate.     

Cleveland has actually had some of the best D talent in the league for a while. If anything they're underperforming this year. meanwhile, they had two of the best OL in the league and a stud TE. Hoyer has always showed potential to anyone who was paying attention. Adding another stud OL in the draft and Tate (only 3 mil) and getting Hoyer healthy has been enough.

No, no, no. Just stop right there. Just no.

You know what the worst part of this last offseason was? It's not the questionable draft picks. It's not that we seemed to be the only team in the NFL who thought Shaun Lauvao was a premier player. It's not signing like 15 free against to only produce a 1-5 team.

No, the worst part of this of season was how they actually did NOT gear anything for the long-term. They structured contracts for more room in 2014, and less in 2016 and beyond. So right when you should be trying to be a real contender, and when you are going to have your best players needing extensions, you have less cap room. All so you can hold on to Orakpo for one year at a massive cost while you've already decided that he's not part of the future. we were using the future to finance 2014 when we should have done the opposite.

Imagine if we had the same record, but a few of our holes had been filled really well and we had set ourselves up to have a max amount of cap space when we needed it? How much more hope would we have now?

DO NOT lower Williams cap figure for 2015. Raise it. Make your cap space for later.

The Skins current cap for 2016 according to that site is at 74 million, less than half of the projected cap for that year and at only 42 million for 2017

New GM, new scouting department, new defensive coordinator, and O-line and db's!!!

our team has few players that other teams haven't want or haven't started for other teams or have been a major reach where they were selected for the team.  That's the scouts' job, finding guys.  It's the GM to decide when and if to take them and the coaches to turn them into players.

Frankly sometimes I think our trainers and medical staff our the Skins biggest problems considering how often people end up off the field.

our team has few players that other teams haven't want or haven't started for other teams or have been a major reach where they were selected for the team.  That's the scouts' job, finding guys.  It's the GM to decide when and if to take them and the coaches to turn them into players.

Frankly sometimes I think our trainers and medical staff our the Skins biggest problems considering how often people end up off the field.

Thats one thing that many are not thinking about; the scouting dept.'s idea of what the team may be looking for and what the team actually needs are far apart from each other.  When they stop looking for ticket sellers and average/below height wannabes, the team might actually find a few gems out there, and they ARE out there, but the scouts aren't looking in the right places.

Other teams seem to find impact players and have a competent coaching staff who can get them going in the right direction, but not the Redskins; we seem to find the flashy players looking for a paycheck, players past their prime, players who had 1 good year, and the checkbook opens up.

What the team needs is something that cannot be bought; leadership, from the top down. Allen seems to remind me of Alec Baldwin, and right now i'd almost bet Baldwin could do a better job at GM or DC. And i'm not joking either.

Until the team gets leadership and FO personnel who can be innovative, nothing will change. If we played Jacksonville 5 times, would you honestly bet any money that the Redskins would win all of the games? Not me. Not in any way. But i'd bet the coaching staff would not look at it that way. They would approach every game the same way, and eventually Jax would exploit it.

I'm just so sick of Haslett; I just cannot stand that smug sorry ass **** wannabe coach. Thats a damned good place to start cleaning house, today.

The Skins current cap for 2016 according to that site is at 74 million, less than half of the projected cap for that year and at only 42 million for 2017

The cap figure is low only because there aren't a lot of starters signed through 2016, and almost nobody signed for 2017.  30M for 2014 seemed like a lot until we started re-signing starters.  $70M isn't a lot to replace/re-sign an entire OL (including LT), QB, RB. SS, FS, DE/OLBx2, plus add some depth.

The cap figure is low only because there aren't a lot of starters signed through 2016, and almost nobody signed for 2017.  30M for 2014 seemed like a lot until we started re-signing starters.  $70M isn't a lot to replace/re-sign an entire OL (including LT), QB, RB. SS, FS, DE/OLBx2, plus add some depth.

the only guys not signed for next year are Rak, Polumbus, Merriweather and Clark and Jenkins.  Three of those guys could be let go without an attempt to re-sign.  Hopefully by then we won't need to re-sign an entire line.  in 2017 Moses and Long, and hopefully a couple draft picks would still be on rookie contracts.  Same for secondary players

What the Redskins need to do next year:

- fire Haslett

- hire Wade Phillips or Rex Ryan

- bring in an offensive coordinator

- bring in a line coach who runs power 

- hunt down O linemen in FA

- hunt down quality backup and role players in FA

- draft O linemen 

- draft safeties

This is a start and maybe even consider bringing in a new GM. Let's Go Danny!!

Outside of Kerrigan and Hatcher, nobody on our D is indispensable. Likewise I would not mind upgrading everyone on our OL not named Trent.

What I dream of this offseason is what I hope for every year -hiring a QUALIFIED GM (not just someone with a family name) and having him hire the staff.

Delenda Haslett est.

An actual talent evaluator at GM.  Same story for the last 21 years.

The sad part about this thread is you could've just taken a thread from a year ago and used the same material.  In terms of what we need, not a whole lot has changed in the last 200 + months. 

Fixed it for you.

OL.  The obvious place of need.  Hopefully we will not have given up on Moses or Long already, though.  Interior linemen high in the first round are pretty rare.  I'd expect to go for an RT to compete with Moses in free agency, and interior line, especially a center in the second or third round.  Of course a little looking around now I see a Matthews may be in the 2015 draft so maybe the Skins could go center in the first round

Defense-

Front 7

I'm in favor of a return to the 4-3 which is why I'm bunching most people together since there'd be position changing.  Riley or Robinson could probably convert to OLB, and I think most of our backups could play multiple 4-3 LB positions.  We'd probably need to go for a starter at one OLB position.

Convert Kerrigan, Murphy(backup) and if we re-sign him Orakpo to end.  Hatcher and Baker can play the inside.  If we don't bring back Rak Hatcher could probably be a DE instead with Jarvis Jenkins at the other tackle.  We've got some fairly young cheap backups.  I'd look for low round picks and depth signings only for the Dline.

DB- of course the biggest need.  Safety is ideally where we spend out first round pick, but if not we can look at CB, since you always need more of those.  Perhaps a young CB could keep Breeland as our nickel guy and allow Hall to move to free safety if he recovers.  Of course we'll need to look at free agency as well.  Nate Allen of the Eagles is an FA.

OL obviously first priority. Really the only thing I would like to see added offensively.

Secondary Second priority. Then Defensive depth...Guys that can play special teams. That should be the absolute main focus of the draft.

The switch to 4-3 all depends on the D Coordinator we could get. I actually think we are in a good spot in that we really could play either going forward, personnel wise, without much of a drop off either way. I think fans get hung up too much on the 3-4 thing, we really run a hybrid. There are plenty of situations where we have 4 guys with their hands in the dirt. If we went to 4-3 I believe Murphy would be more than adequate as a replacement for Orakpo. Keenan is playing really well, and I really like the looks of Compton. Not a big fan of Riley so if we did make that switch I'd like to see a free agent upgrade at that position. 

What the Redskins need to do next year:

- fire Haslett

- hire Wade Phillips or Rex Ryan

- bring in an offensive coordinator

- bring in a line coach who runs power 

- hunt down O linemen in FA

- hunt down quality backup and role players in FA

- draft O linemen 

- draft safeties

This is a start and maybe even consider bringing in a new GM. Let's Go Danny!!

Agree for the most part.  Just don't necessarily agree with the O lineman.  If we draft a quality starter in the first round (preferably RT, but that's just me), then we don't necessarily need to hunt agressively for backups as I think Long, Leribs, and Moses could probably be decent backups.  Hell, Long and Leribs could/should probably start right now.

Archived