Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the Skins will need next year

carex

It might even be time to move on from Alf. I know that's sacrilegious but the guy is a system back. He has no home-run speed. He has no impact on the passing game. We need someone like Forte/Murray who can and will play 3 downs if necessary. We've been trying to target that change of pace back for some time now and we know you don't need to invest a high-round pick, but I'd like to see us continue to find a guy who may even take over for Alf at some point.

they're running the same scheme for the running game

That's a good question. If we get a to 5 pick, we need to trade down and stockpile picks and build a winner.

That's what I'm thinking. This Williams kid from USC could be tempting though. I'd say there's probably a good chance the only returning DL from this year are Hatcher, Baker and Kearse. Would not surprise me if we go DL in the 1st round. If we switch to a 4-3, though, that could chance since Hatcher/Baker/Kearse become DTs and Kerrigan/Murphy likely swing in to DE. Then OLB becomes a need.

Really though, I think an OT, S and CB are our targets. But like someone said elsewhere, if we're gonna spend pick #66 on an OT and give up on him in one year, that says more about our scouting than anything else. And do we even trust that same scouting department to draft a top 10 pick properly?

I say trade down, get a 2nd and 3rd if you're in the top 3 and can find a team needing a QB ... and take BPA from there, excluding QB and WR.

While you can say that their play is a result of attitude and confidence, you can also look at some stats and playcalling choices. The Browns had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league last year. They had 21.8 rushing attempts per game in 2013 (Skins had 28.3). Enter Kyle Shanahan and the rushing attempts per game go from 30th in the league to 2nd (30.0 attempts/game). Conversely, Washington went from 13th to 28th.

I would be curious to see what the breakdown of attempts is by down. I'm clearly not the first person to say that the Skins abandon the rush too early.

While you can say that their play is a result of attitude and confidence, you can also look at some stats and playcalling choices. The Browns had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league last year. They had 21.8 rushing attempts per game in 2013 (Skins had 28.3). Enter Kyle Shanahan and the rushing attempts per game go from 30th in the league to 2nd (30.0 attempts/game). Conversely, Washington went from 13th to 28th.

I would be curious to see what the breakdown of attempts is by down. I'm clearly not the first person to say that the Skins abandon the rush too early.

Often, when people look at rush attempts and victories, they look at the causation backwards. As with most cases, I would bet you can trace increased rushing attempts to the team not being way behind in games as much. Winning usually allows more rush attempts, not the other way around.

What we most need is someone who understands this team, understands what the weaknesses are and has the ability to evaluate, critique, and draft talent who can provide answers to those weaknesses.  Case in point.  There has been alot on talk radio this week about the Cowboys and the play of their offensive line.  Also alot of talk about them moving up to the first round all beit it later in the round and taking a center who has played every down.  Clearly everyone knew one of the biggest weaknesses of the Redskins in the offseason was the offensive line.  And yet despite the fact that we knew or should have known the line needed to be addressed, we draft a part time linebacker, Dallas drafts after us and gets a staring O lineman. We draft lineman later in the draft and what we have is exactly what we have had for the lineman we have drafted in the last few years.  Backups who cant crack the starting line up even though we have arguably one of the weakest lines in the league.  And there are many other examples of similar picks.  I find this very disturbing and until we can figure that out, there will be more disappointment and more losing.

Best. Player. Available

Always take a blue chip player if they are the clear cut best player available....ONLY exception on our team would be WR.

Anything else and you can find something in free agency.

1. OL(Bad and starters are not young)

2. DB(Bad and starters are young)

Archived