Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is a darkness hanging over the Redskins

Jimmmbobb

We weren't even that good then, it took a miracle finish to get to and lose in the playoffs.

At least it was exciting to watch the games and it provided entertainment.

Watching last year and so far this year is like it raining the whole week you are on a vacation at the beach.

I know everyone deals with adversity in a different way and I will never tell anyone how to react to this team, but I can't laugh. I have to turn the game off as I get too mad. It's an embarrassment to me just to try and laugh it off. It's not a laughing matter to me. Just the way I'm wired and again if you can laugh it off, great. I'd never disparage anyone for their way if dealing with it.

The thing is... I'm a hyper-competitive guy and I usually don't handle losing well, but I just don't have the energy to get extremely angry week after week about something that I have absolutely no control over.  It still hurts, but I realize now that getting angry at this team does absolutely nothing for me, and all I can do is give a helpless laugh.

I may be in the huge majority here but I do not see Daniel Snyder as the problem... at all.  He seems to stay out of the football stuff... has a person who has built a Super Bowl Champion running things ... even defends the name and the pride of the franchises history. 

Here are our problems:

1.  Yes, the draft picks we gave up for RG3 were a lot, but he proved his worth in his rookie season... no one was saying we got screwed when Alfred Morris ran in the game clinching TD against Dallas in the 4th quarter of the season finale while we were off to the playoffs.

2.  The knee:  It was weakened against Baltimore and a non-contact plant tore it against Seattle.  When you give up those picks and your player tears his knee... its game over.

3.  He came back too soon... last year was horrible.  Nuff said.

4.  He was rolling out to his right against the Jags... no contact... he dislocates his ankle.  Just bad luck.  You could tell at the beginning of that game though they ran the read option with the intent of getting back to what he does well.

5.  The salary cap penalty.  This actually helped us and hurt us.  It allowed us to clear away a lot of dead cap space... we even won our division on the heels of the penalty.  But at the same time it prevented us from potentially locking up a game changing cornerback, something we are in desperate need of.

Yes, we are going to get a top 5 pick... it's time we address this defense... Kerrigan is the only one I want... yeah, mayhbe a bit of exaggeration but you guys get my point.

HTTR

It's really hard.

Teams understand the draft better than they did then. Plus, there was no salary cap back then. The Cowboys could have 50 #1 picks and say them all long-term and it didn't matter. There was never a question of who do you keep: Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Maryland, Haley, Woodson, Newton, Sepnowski, etc......you just kept them all.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree.  

Teams might understand the draft better, I'll concede that point but it's not like trades don't get made every year for draft picks.  No salary cap back then didn't totally matter.  As JJ said, the team was the youngest and cheapest when it won the Superbowl.  If there was a cap back then, presumably most of those players would have been on their rookie deals and well below under whatever cap there would have been.

Seattle still made a ton of transactions when Carroll took over, in an era where people supposedly understand the draft better and there's a salary cap:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1472131-how-pete-carroll-has-built-the-seattle-seahawks-into-an-nfl-powerhouse

It's incredibly easy, I think.  All Snyder would have to do is for once take a hands off approach and bring in a regime that'd do something like this.  I'd be thrilled if he canned Allen tomorrow and hired someone that would come in and clean house, trade away our overpriced, underperforming veterans for 3rd-5th round picks and truly construct a team the proper way.  Player evaluations and scouting is the hardest part but with Snyder's unlimited funds he can afford to hire the best and brightest minds.  

Trade away the fat, get young, deep, lean and mean.  It's not hard at all no matter how the NFL is constructed.  

Long time lurker on the boards...never post much...but I have been a skins fan since I have been born...and I can count the number of times on my hand we had a season worth remembering, and not many fingers are used up...I have gone to training camps, had season tickets, wore my colors proudly, defend this franchise against all the haters

At this point I am utterly and mentally drained with this franchise. I have seen time and time again teams come from being absolute S*** to turn it around and make the playoffs the following year, I have seen teams go on epic runs and win titles (Giants). 

The only thing I have ever seen this team do is nothing but the same, just with different faces and regimes...I will never stop being a skins fan...but at this point, I expect the skins to lose time and time again, and that's not what being a fan is about. I literally am at my wits end with this team and feel hopeless that nothing will change anytime soon. I really thought 2012 was the beginning of something beautiful, and for the first time in my life would see this franchise start to be consistent winners.

Can someone enlighten me on what it felt like to be a fan and know that your team would constituently put a respectable, formidable, and championship caliber team on the field each and every year like this franchise had in the 80's early 90's??

As much as I love football...I really am down in the dumps nowadays as fan of this franchise.

Kirk sucks at football

Orakpo also sucks at football

Kirk has been what everyone thought he would be. A fill in QB. He has talent but needs experience. Dropped passes are not his fault. Late INTs are , and that he has to work on. Orakpo is held on EVERY play. He is not one of the bigger problems. And if you discount the horrible officiating that seems to always determine the out come of many of our games, your just fooling yourself. This team is close to putting it all together if we could stay healthy. Unfortunately our bench is clearly not as deep as we thought.

For the first time ever I saw a Redskins player catching a big touchdown pass and my first thought was "****, this will take points away from my fantasy team" (I started AZ). Then my second thought was: "well, it's still early and Kirk Cousins hasn't thrown his interceptions yet..."

17 points from AZ. Glad I stuck to my plan of starting the defense that's playing the Redskins.

I'm sure i'll get crucified for saying this, but I honestly see nothing wrong with a name change.   I mean seriously, I get that the context the team and the organization is using it in isn't meant to be offensive, but you can't just IGNORE its history.  It really doesn't matter how many people are or aren't offended. Though it does piss me off that some politicians are demanding they change the name, but still think using a native american as a mascot, or changing the name to the "warriors" or something is ok. It's clearly about politics-and they don't even get what the controversy is even over.  So, I understand the resistance to a change.  Maybe a name change(to something that doesn't involve a native american-yet still preserves the franchise's history) isn't a bad thing?  It might be wishful thinking but hey...they need something to shock them into a culture change...and a name change is more likely than Dan selling it. 

But its OK to have a new prime time TV show call " Blackish ". Gee , I wonder what they're refering to.

I think it's a good way to put it. Not fun in the least. Just a complete waste of time

Good job Dan, you've completely driven the franchise into the ground. Taken you 15 years but you pulled it off. Congratulations

Much like when King Arthur broke excalibur when he first dueled Sir Lancelot Snyder has broke that which cannot be broken.

Its such a shame he has us by the balls. His operation makes tons of money and its because fans love this franchise no matter how poorly he treats us.  

My daydream goes like this: DC refuses to pay for a new stadium and he threatens to leave. DC calls his bluff and in a suborn fit of rage he moves this hot mess to LA, leaving the name and history with the city. We wait a couple years without football and then get an expansion team.  The new owner is classy and super smart.

Its SO bad that I'm willing to go w/out football in DC for a few years if that's what it takes.

Add: I feel as though I should perhaps spend time on a message board he doesn't own. Yet I love this place. Again, by the balls.

Honest question...is it paper bag time, & banner/sign/tifo? Not that it will do all that much...aside from make Dan, & the media more aware of our displeasure. I'm not usually for this sort of thing...i'd rather just boycott...but with what seems like just about unanimous disdain, it may actually be appropriate. At least volumes more appropriate than sulking, & ****ing on an interwebs message board.

Honest question...is it paper bag time, & banner/sign/tifo? Not that it will do all that much...aside from make Dan, & the media more aware of our displeasure. I'm not usually for this sort of thing...i'd rather just boycott...but with what seems like just about unanimous disdain, it may actually be appropriate. At least volumes more appropriate than sulking, & ****ing on an interwebs message board.

I don't think the bags or signs will do it this time.  We're 15 years into his ownership and I can't honestly say he's changed that much.   We need to seriously consider a total boycott on merchandise, stop going to the games, etc.  He's about the bottom line and when we start letting our wallets do the talking and the seats at Fed Ex start looking like last years's KC game week in & week out, maybe it'll get through his head that its time for some real change.

Its such a shame he has us by the balls. His operation makes tons of money and its because fans love this franchise no matter how poorly he treats us.  

My daydream goes like this: DC refuses to pay for a new stadium and he threatens to leave. DC calls his bluff and in a suborn fit of rage he moves this hot mess to LA, leaving the name and history with the city. We wait a couple years without football and then get an expansion team.  The new owner is classy and super smart.

Its SO bad that I'm willing to go w/out football in DC for a few years if that's what it takes.

Add: I feel as though I should perhaps spend time on a message board he doesn't own. Yet I love this place. Again, by the balls.

Let's say Snyder moves the team to LA, while changing the name and logo.  Then Washington gets an expansion team with the current name Redskins and logo, does the expansion team keep the old history?  Does the expansion team keep the three Lombardi trophies and NFL championships, or does all of that go to the LA team?

Archived