Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is a darkness hanging over the Redskins

Jimmmbobb

I had a baby boy 15 months ago, and a little girl is due any day now.... I've finally fallen into that "i dont give a ****" any more mode. Been a diehard fan since the late 70s, there are more important things in my life now and they couldn't have come at a better time, when this team reaches the lowest of the lows, even worse than the mid to late 90s teams to the early 2000 teams which were the worst ever, I have something to look forward to besides football and couldnt be happier.

Don't curse them by making them Redskins fans.

I thought the same thing this evening.  I don't care for how he acted at the end (being Adam Schefter's source and all), but this place is clearly dysfunctional.

Once we fire Gruden, who in their right mind would want to coach here?

A few other things to contemplate:

1. Allen was put in a position he has not earned through experience or qualifications.

2. Gruden was a crony hire, along with the re-assembly of the crony TB crew, and the keeping of Haztard and Morris

3. Everyone liked to talk about Dalton and his "limitations" as a passer, but he seems to be doing quite allright without Gruden there.

Maybe Gruden was the "problem" with Dalton and not the solution?

As for Shanny, he had his shortcomings (coaching staff, etc)

but did he really hire haztard or was he forced on him because he was Allen's buddy?

Was Shanny doing everything he could to leave because he couldn't stand the FO structure and was being told to shutup and color while some FO decisions were being made whether he liked them or not?

Until the atmosphere changes at Redskins Park and they get a smash mouth Leadership team, the Skins won't be competitive. These guys don't have an identity....I always thought Gibbs was a pious man whose players would kick your teeth in. I thought George Allen was sneaky smart...a real strategy guy...who would do anything to win...Snyder impresses me as a guy who just wants to look good...let me know when Snyder decides to get down and dirty...

I think the arguments about offensive linemen, defensive coordinators, or even quarterbacks is missing the point. The problems with this team are not football related. The football problems are a direct result of the dysfunction on the non-football side and that starts (and frankly ends) with Snyder. As someone said, we are the new Bengals. The Bengals have somehow gotten somewhat good in year 26 of Mike Brown's never-ending rebuilding plan. And Snyder may have a few successful years in 2024 or 2030 or something. But water always rises to its own level and so does dysfunction. You can only get so good with someone like Snyder is charge.

I honestly think there is no solution to this problem short of a sale, which is never going to happen.

I think the arguments about offensive linemen, defensive coordinators, or even quarterbacks is missing the point. The problems with this team are not football related. The football problems are a direct result of the dysfunction on the non-football side and that starts (and frankly ends) with Snyder. As someone said, we are the new Bengals. The Bengals have somehow gotten somewhat good in year 26 of Mike Brown's never-ending rebuilding plan. And Snyder may have a few successful years in 2024 or 2030 or something. But water always rises to its own level and so does dysfunction. You can only get so good with someone like Snyder is charge.

I honestly think there is no solution to this problem short of a sale, which is never going to happen.

Nonsense.  The problem is simple.  Stop hiring friends or figureheads at the GM position.  Hire a real GM.  People are right, Snyder isn't a businessman.  He doesn't hire smart people.  Fortunately his ticket sales take a hit year after year.  He is learning in his pocket.

I agree a sale is unlikely, but look at the Magoof brothers who owned my beloved Sacramento Kings and ran them into the ground.

The one team that had a real chance to win our first and only championship got jobbed by the refs and the nba.. after that it was a freefall. Poor management along with poor business choices = stupid jerry jonesesque/snyderesque owners who were trading draft picks for CASH.... Who the **** does that???

Snyder has a history of failed business ventures, and it looks like the Redskins are another one to add to that list.. maybe in 20 years he will be broke and forced to sell like the Magoofs. One can hope anyway :( :( :(

Nonsense.  The problem is simple.  Stop hiring friends or figureheads at the GM position.  Hire a real GM.  People are right, Snyder isn't a businessman.  He doesn't hire smart people. 

Well he sure doesn't when it comes to football. What I don't understand is, he says he's a Redskins fan, loves the team and wants to win... and yet he CONTINUES to go down the same road all these years by not hiring a real GM. It's like "I'd rather the Redskins continue to be losers than hire a GM." OK, 2 things that will NEVER change... the name and his stubbornness in hiring a GM.

I just don't get it.

For me, besides the obvious implosion that has become expected, the fact the Kyle has gone to Cleveland and is doing well has me floored. I know all the obvious reasons but the fact that people go elsewhere and succeed but don't succeed here hurts the most for me. I wish this organization could get this figured out so we as fans could look forward to watching our Redskins play again. Like I said the Kyle thing makes me feel like I've been punched in the gut.

Allen and Haslett were Shanny's choices.

You don't want to know the reason why Shanahan wanted out. It's a real kick in the gut.

I doand fully expect to find out in his tell all book after he is done with football for good.  My guess Shanny tries to get one last job and then after that  right after that he writes his books.

The darkness started in the summer of 1999 when one Daniel Snyder won the bidding and became the team owner.

If you think Kyle failed here because Kyle is an idiot, you deserve the punch.

I never once said nor implied in my post I thought Kyle was an idiot. Not sure how you got that out of my post and it still doesn't change the point I was trying to make. So I guess I dont "deserve the punch".

2012 was fun while it lasted. All it took for that temporary success was potentially ruining our future franchise QB. Now it's time to retake our rightful place as the bottom feeders of the NFC East. The Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles may have been worried for that short while, but like all of us, should have known the Washington Redskins would find a way to destroy themselves. Like the Wile E. Coyote of the NFL, we buy these shiny, expensive toys and they always crash and burn in comedic fashion. Someone has to hold down the fort as the perennial joke, loser team. Part of the fun of the NFL is watching the bad teams continue to be bad. Like the creamsicle Buccaneers of the late 70s we serve as the comic relief so other fans can point, chuckle and say "Isn't it humorous how bad they are? Aren't you glad that's not OUR team?" Every professional sports league in the country needs the loser teams. I've accepted it at this point. Success is not coming under Dan Snyder

2012 was fun while it lasted. All it took for that temporary success was potentially ruining our future franchise QB. Now it's time to retake our rightful place as the bottom feeders of the NFC East. The Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles may have been worried for that short while, but like all of us, should have known the Washington Redskins would find a way to destroy themselves. Like the Wile E. Coyote of the NFL, we buy these shiny, expensive toys and they always crash and burn in comedic fashion. Someone has to hold down the fort as the perennial joke, loser team. Part of the fun of the NFL is watching the bad teams continue to be bad. Like the creamsicle Buccaneers of the late 70s we serve as the comic relief so other fans can point, chuckle and say "Isn't it humorous how bad they are? Aren't you glad that's not OUR team?" Every professional sports league in the country needs the loser teams. I've accepted it at this point. Success is not coming under Dan Snyder

so we're going to need to wait 60-some more years until we will be good again???? :(

Ugh, I'm already tired of this team.  I'm already tired of Gruden.  I didn't hear any of his postgame stuff but I bet you can swap out the soundbytes and insert soundbytes from previous weeks and it'd be exactly the same.

I watched the Dolphins/Packers game earlier this afternoon with my dad.  Did anyone else catch that game?  Exciting as hell, back and forth right down to the final seconds where Rodgers threw a short TD pass with to get the lead, leaving 3 seconds on the clock, right after he faked a spike and threw for a big gain to set up the final play.  Dolphins played really well, too, I liked what I saw from Tannehill.

My dad and I both remarked that we couldn't imagine the Redskins doing anything like that.  The Redskins are so ****ing far removed from EITHER of those two teams on so many different levels, it's disgusting.  I think watching other football games like the one today just illuminate how far away this team is from any kind of consistent winning.  

Has anyone here seen that new 30 for 30 short?  It's on Grantland.  It's about Jimmy Johnson and the Herschel Walker trade:  http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-the-great-trade-robbery/

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone else, but I can't get mad watching this.  The blueprint to building a winner is so ****ing simple.  Jimmy Johnson traded his best player, cut the players he received in return and horded draft picks.  At one point in that documentary, he says that over a few year period they made 50 trades which was more than ALL OF THE OTHER NFL TEAMS COMBINED.  And by the time they won their first Superbowl, they were the YOUNGEST and CHEAPEST team in the league.  

Honestly, it's not hard.  Yup, I don't believe running an NFL team is hard at all.  I think Bruce Allen has the easiest ****ing job next to flipping burgers at McDonald's.  In fact, I hope he's reading this and invites me in because I can tell you that we'd have trouble fielding a team for the rest of the season. Everyone on this team, from Kerrigan on down to Tom Compton will be out of here and you'll see the guy making Papa John's pizzas in the club level going out for passes over the middle next Sunday.

It's a sheer numbers game.  Horde draft picks, get as much talent as you can and see who you hit on and who you miss on.  Maybe the hardest part is hiring a good coach and good scouts so you increase your chances of selecting good talent, but that's it.  And if I'm running the show I'm not always selecting the best athlete available or the best player available, I'm taking the guy that was a captain of his college team, high school team, whatever.  Leaders that have high football IQs and are motivated to play and to work hard.

I'm so tired of this franchise, year in, year out, acting like we're a player or two away from being a good team.  Again, credit to Jimmy Johnson who arrived in Dallas in '89 and realized how bad they were.  In that short documentary, he said they were 53 players away, which is exactly what we are right now.  

The answer is just so ****ing obvious it makes me sick.  Yes, I really think it's that simple, just give yourself as many chances as you can to find good, young, cheap talent that'll be under team control for years.  Rinse and repeat.  Don't believe me?  I think the Seahawks made an absurd amount of transactions in Pete Carroll's first couple of years, IIRC.

More than anything, I just hate myself for continuing to support this team and watching every weekend.  I don't know what that says about me, but I feel like it's time wasted.  Maybe I just don't know what else to do on Sunday afternoons in the fall but I feel like my life could be better if I just did something, ANYTHING else with those extra three hours on a weekly basis.  Hit the gym, do some extra work, take a nap....all would be more productive than watching this ****ing franchise fail miserably.  

We'll find a way to screw that up too.  Even if we had the foresight to draft Russell Wilson, he'd be no better than mediocre with us.  We'd find a way to screw with his head.

You're correct. It's the same thing with kickers here. Something about dawning the burgundy and gold, and players lose all confidence.

Ugh, I'm already tired of this team.  I'm already tired of Gruden.  I didn't hear any of his postgame stuff but I bet you can swap out the soundbytes and insert soundbytes from previous weeks and it'd be exactly the same.

I watched the Dolphins/Packers game earlier this afternoon with my dad.  Did anyone else catch that game?  Exciting as hell, back and forth right down to the final seconds where Rodgers threw a short TD pass with to get the lead, leaving 3 seconds on the clock, right after he faked a spike and threw for a big gain to set up the final play.  Dolphins played really well, too, I liked what I saw from Tannehill.

My dad and I both remarked that we couldn't imagine the Redskins doing anything like that.  The Redskins are so ****ing far removed from EITHER of those two teams on so many different levels, it's disgusting.  I think watching other football games like the one today just illuminate how far away this team is from any kind of consistent winning.  

Has anyone here seen that new 30 for 30 short?  It's on Grantland.  It's about Jimmy Johnson and the Herschel Walker trade:  http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-the-great-trade-robbery/

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone else, but I can't get mad watching this.  The blueprint to building a winner is so ****ing simple.  Jimmy Johnson traded his best player, cut the players he received in return and horded draft picks.  At one point in that documentary, he says that over a few year period they made 50 trades which was more than ALL OF THE OTHER NFL TEAMS COMBINED.  And by the time they won their first Superbowl, they were the YOUNGEST and CHEAPEST team in the league.  

Honestly, it's not hard.  Yup, I don't believe running an NFL team is hard at all.  I think Bruce Allen has the easiest ****ing job next to flipping burgers at McDonald's.  In fact, I hope he's reading this and invites me in because I can tell you that we'd have trouble fielding a team for the rest of the season. Everyone on this team, from Kerrigan on down to Tom Compton will be out of here and you'll see the guy making Papa John's pizzas in the club level going out for passes over the middle next Sunday.

It's a sheer numbers game.  Horde draft picks, get as much talent as you can and see who you hit on and who you miss on.  Maybe the hardest part is hiring a good coach and good scouts so you increase your chances of selecting good talent, but that's it.  And if I'm running the show I'm not always selecting the best athlete available or the best player available, I'm taking the guy that was a captain of his college team, high school team, whatever.  Leaders that have high football IQs and are motivated to play and to work hard.

I'm so tired of this franchise, year in, year out, acting like we're a player or two away from being a good team.  Again, credit to Jimmy Johnson who arrived in Dallas in '89 and realized how bad they were.  In that short documentary, he said they were 53 players away, which is exactly what we are right now.  

The answer is just so ****ing obvious it makes me sick.  Yes, I really think it's that simple, just give yourself as many chances as you can to find good, young, cheap talent that'll be under team control for years.  Rinse and repeat.  Don't believe me?  I think the Seahawks made an absurd amount of transactions in Pete Carroll's first couple of years, IIRC.

More than anything, I just hate myself for continuing to support this team and watching every weekend.  I don't know what that says about me, but I feel like it's time wasted.  Maybe I just don't know what else to do on Sunday afternoons in the fall but I feel like my life could be better if I just did something, ANYTHING else with those extra three hours on a weekly basis.  Hit the gym, do some extra work, take a nap....all would be more productive than watching this ****ing franchise fail miserably.  

You're spot on. I'm done spending my hard earned money on this franchise until something changes. At this point do we hope the team loses out? I wouldn't mind at all.

Archived