Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP The Insider: Is Bruce Allen to blame for the Redskins' current mess?

GibbsFactor

Sorry, but the common denominator is Snyder. The front office structure is Snyder's doing. The farce of an interview process that takes place for front office and coaching staff is Snyder's doing. The overall culture of players, coaches, and front office staff thinking they're better than they actually are is Snyder's doing. 

This is a marketing company that just happens to also play football. Why this concept is so hard to grasp for everyone is a mystery to me. Hopefully, the fanbase will stop being in denial and realize this. IT'S SNYDER.

It sounds like you expect owners to be perfect and maybe even GM worthy, placing a very high expectation on someone who is really just a financial backer. There is no sports owner school. 

You can beat the drums on Snyder, but he is not going anywhere.  Eventually your S N Y D E R keys will wear out and he will still be counting cash.

If you want significant change, the option to beat those drums for, is at GM. 

Few people place the entire blame on Shanahan. Snyder, while well intentioned, has made questionable decisions, as has Allen. Skins have lost capable coaches and talent evaluators, RGIII injury,etc....

On a happier note it's amazing how quickly NFL teams can reverse course. HTT?

It sounds like you expect owners to be perfect and maybe even GM worthy, placing a very high expectation on someone who is really just a financial backer. There is no sports owner school.

You can beat the drums on Snyder, but he is not going anywhere. Eventually your S N Y D E R keys will wear out and he will still be counting cash.

If you want significant change, the option to beat that drums for, is at GM.

Perfect? Hardly. Competent, yes indeed. If you like having your favorite team and organization on the same level as the Raiders, Browns, Bills, etc., then go right ahead.

The one thing you are correct about is he is not going anywhere. That's reason #1 as to why I am feeling so distraught over my favorite football team. I understand the state of denial some of you are in since reality as it is right now is so awful.

This is clearly Bruce Allen's mess. Patchwork offensive line and a defense lacking in talent results in a 1-5 record. Even if we end up with a top 10 pick in each round for next year's draft, I have zero faith this front office will pick the right players.

We're in trouble.

Its not time to fire Gruden.  That is the type of reactionary, terrible decision this team bounces between on a year to year, month to month, game to game basis.  

STOP LOOKING FOR A QUICK FIX!  For the love of god.  We are not one player away.  We are not two players away.  We are not five players away.  We are 20 players away.  At least.  We need to build a program that drafts well and DEVELOPS players taken in the draft - each and every round, including Round 7.  

When Griffin comes back, we are not going to light it up.  Sorry, we aren't going to start to win, and Griffin might not even help us in many games.  You know why... he's DEVELOPING.  Spend some time and put some effort into developing a guy who has the physical skills but not the refinement or experience.

But above all else, stop expecting that this team is one year away from a superbowl.  They are not.  They are many years.  They need to realize that.  We, as fans, need to realize that.  This team, this great franchise, became a laughingstock, a total joke in all of professional sports, because it has never tried to put in the work.  Finding talented, undervalued guys through hard work, then dedicating your coaching staff to polishing them, then giving them an opportunity to play.  That's what the successful teams do, year in and year out.  

So, if we fire Allen and Gruden and Haslett, expect another year just like this one guys.  Its the same path, a broken record.  Just dedicate your resources to growing a foundation and building a team the right away.  And stop thinking that you just need "one more thing" or "one new head coach" or the best of all the free agents (who are guys that their teams didn't want to pay).  We aren't there now, won't be there next year, and if we do this right we will NEVER think like that again.

I expect we'd have another losing season if we got rid of this staff, but I'd hope we'd have the foundation to actually succeed by having the right people in place.

Why do you think we don't have the right coaching staff in place now?  This was a highly regarded young offensive coordinator who has had success developing QB's and building solid offenses in the past.  

That's what I'm saying.  We need to let him grow and develop, not just the players.

Why do you think we don't have the right coaching staff in place now? This was a highly regarded young offensive coordinator who has had success developing QB's and building solid offenses in the past.

That's what I'm saying. We need to let him grow and develop, not just the players.

Had success developing one qb, not plural, who is having his best year by a wide margin now that his qb developing guru oc is on another team. The same qb guru who had leaked that cousins, not rg3 the face of the franchise, was his preferred qb all along, and yet we expect him to develop rg3.

If you accept that Allen is incompetent (I do), then it's no stretch to think his appointment of Gruden is further proof of his incompetence rather than an exception to his incompetence. Gruden hasn't changed the culture here, he's just another extension of the tb losers who have already been here for 5 years. I want a clean slate, sooner rather than later, so we don't spend more time wasting rg3's career.

Because Mike Shanahan had full control over the personnel decisions/GM duties when he was here.

Bruce was given GM powers this year.

huh. thought bruce had the gm powers the whole time. if thats the case that he got gm powers this year, he can have until next year i guess and then i might want to fire him for a better GM.

huh. thought bruce had the gm powers the whole time. if thats the case that he got gm powers this year, he can have until next year i guess and then i might want to fire him for a better GM.

No, Bruce is just a pawn in this failure of an organization.  It's the biggest cluster**** of any organization in any sport.  When Bruce was hired, darrelgreenie and company declared the Redskins on the right path.  Over 4 years later and we are saying we get to hit the reset button.  Silliest thing I have ever heard.

No, Bruce is just a pawn in this failure of an organization. It's the biggest cluster**** of any organization in any sport. When Bruce was hired, darrelgreenie and company declared the Redskins on the right path. Over 4 years later and we are saying we get to hit the reset button. Silliest thing I have ever heard.

In fairness, bozo the clown would have been more on the right path than Vinny.

I don't defend Vinny. You lose all credibility if you thing Bruce is a GM. They both are gladhander, puppets for Snyder.

I don't think so.

I think Gibbs, Shanahan and Allen have all been given authority to do what they want to.

I'm not saying that Allen is doing a great job of it. But I'm pretty convinced he's making the majority of the decisions.

Otherwise Haslett and the other defensive coaches would have been fired at the end of the season.

Gruden is an Allen guy.

He might not have been the right pick. And he's not a talent guy. He's a cap guy and a contracts guy.

But he's in charge. What he should do is hire a true GM and just become the president. Kinda like what Parcels did in Miami.

But he's in charge. What he should do is hire a true GM and just become the president. Kinda like what Parcels did in Miami.

Well we can agree on that 100%.  I don't want him fired as much as I don't want him as GM.  He can be team president and do all the things a team president does.  He can also handle the cap.

Archived