Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP The Insider: Is Bruce Allen to blame for the Redskins' current mess?

GibbsFactor

huh. thought bruce had the gm powers the whole time. if thats the case that he got gm powers this year, he can have until next year i guess and then i might want to fire him for a better GM.

I know people challenge me on the timeline, but Allen was hired essentially by Shanahan. (Allen came first but Dan had been courting Shanahan for a year and knew exactly what he wanted besides money, power, and nepotism).

Snyder had his little fingers into everything when Gibbs was here.

With Gibbs' permission and encouragement.

Gibbs' permission because it was his boss... not because he had any business being involved in the football operations of an NFL organization.

I'd argue that. Gibbs was like a kid in a candy store. Remember, his first go around didn't really see free agency in even close to the same vein as it is today. Gibbs wanted to get guys in who were good players quickly, and I'd guess he had no problem with the way Vinny/Dan did it. 

And despite the fact that they blew it on signings for the most part, he still managed to coach the 'Skins to respectability in 2 of 4 seasons. Pretty remarkable.

The only reason Gibbs let Danny play football guy is because that was his boss. The man has absolutely no business running a football team... any level.

Did you not read the post above? I countered that claim. You came back with sarcasm and then the same claim, as if I was contending that Danny or Vinny were good GMs... I'm very confused by your replies, to be honest.

After reading the article today by Sarah Larimer, I am more convinced than ever this is ALL Bruce Allens fault. I mean, he is the one who was fighting to get those ugly ass Gold Pants back and ever since, this team has sucked. If I were able to make a decision, I would go back to the ONLY uniforms this team has won championships in and guess what, they didn't have UGLY ASS GOLD PANTS!

For this reason only, I say fire Bruce Allen!!!!

After reading the article today by Sarah Larimer, I am more convinced than ever this is ALL Bruce Allens fault. I mean, he is the one who was fighting to get those ugly ass Gold Pants back and ever since, this team has sucked. If I were able to make a decision, I would go back to the ONLY uniforms this team has won championships in and guess what, they didn't have UGLY ASS GOLD PANTS!

Glad i'm not the only one out there.

The only reason Gibbs let Danny play football guy is because that was his boss. The man has absolutely no business running a football team... any level.

Gibbs wasn't rehired to build anything.

Gibbs was rehired, at the age of 64 when he should of had his feet up playing with the grandkids, to both steady a LONG wayward ship and 'win now.'

We knew exactly what we were getting when Coach returned and he delivered on that more than any other HC since his first go-around.

Hail.

It all boils down to being Snyders fault at the end of the day. Like it or not. He really has to stop being caught up w/ historical names and past flames and just hires folks that are best for the job. He gets caught up by the flash and pizazz and it has interfered w/ football since he became owner.

Been saying this since the day they trotted them out. We will never be a serious team with yellow pants.

"Did you not read the post above? I countered that claim. You came back with sarcasm and then the same claim, as if I was contending that Danny or Vinny were good GMs... I'm very confused by your replies, to be honest."

Sorry... quote feature doesn't work on this computer.

Did you counter that claim or just disagree? His resume is blank. His history of ruining football teams is unparalleled. He has no business evaluating and analyzing prospective players for an NFL team.

Been saying this since the day they trotted them out. We will never be a serious team with yellow pants.

I think we should start a petition to go back to either the old uniforms of the 90s and 2000s or new uniforms.  Until this happens, I blame Bruce Allen!!!

"Did you not read the post above? I countered that claim. You came back with sarcasm and then the same claim, as if I was contending that Danny or Vinny were good GMs... I'm very confused by your replies, to be honest."

Sorry... quote feature doesn't work on this computer.

Did you counter that claim or just disagree? His resume is blank. His history of ruining football teams is unparalleled. He has no business evaluating and analyzing prospective players for an NFL team.

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about. I responded in countering that Gibbs was fine with the way it was run because it was all new to him and didn't think any differently.

You responded that Danny has no business running a team.

I have no idea why you felt it necessary to say that... As if anyone disagreed with you...

the team was just as terrible in the other unis too.

i hope you guys are trolling

We could have a naked day.

Players for the girls. Cheerleaders for the guys. Win Win.

I GUARANTEE NOBODY would be ****ing about the loss that week as NOBODY would remember we played an actual game.

I'm here to help. :D.

Hail.

It is hard to blame one person for this mess besides Dan Snyder. The only constant since he bought the team has been himself. We tried to blame Vinny, that didn't change anything, then, tried to blame Vinny (the 2nd time), that didn't change. There have been different personnel guys and all had the same results. I don't know who you blame now. I do think you give Bruce Allen another year before you judge him. Mike Shannahan was really to man in charge the last 4 years and we all know how bad at personnel decisions he has been historically.

We could have a naked day.

Players for the girls. Cheerleaders for the guys. Win Win.

I GUARANTEE NOBODY would be ****ing about the loss that week as NOBODY would remember we played an actual game.

I'm here to help. :D.

Hail.

HELL YEAH!!  Thanks for your help :)

For comparison's sake, here's Seattle's Scouting Department for 2014

Scott Fiierer - Director of College Scouting
Trent Kirchner - Director of Pro Personnel
Dan Morgan - Assistant Director of Pro Personnel
Kirk Parrish - College Scouting Coordinator
Josh Graff - National Football Scouting
Matt Berry - National Scout

Ed Dodds - National Scout
Jason Barnes - Area Scout
Todd Brunner - Area Scout
Aaron Hineline - Area Scout
Tyler Ramset - Area Scout
Jim Nagy - Area Scout
Nolan Teasley - Pro Scout

This is from their 2014 Media Guide

I don't necessarily disagree with you as far as Allen goes ... but if the next draft doesn't generate at least one rock-solid destined to be a career starter and frequent Pro Bowl invitee O-Lineman ... preferrably with a decent if not as excellent side kick who will also start year 1 on the O-Line ... then I'm going to expect to see Allen resign in disgust or be summarily fired for allowing "rebuilding" to ignore building a superior O-Line.

How about if one of the OL this year turns into that?

Sometimes I think people's expectations from the draft is out of whack.  Really, outside of 1st rounders and some 2nd rounders, you should expect some development time with these players.  While it is nice to find a guy straight out of college ready to start, most of the time there is an adjustment period, and usually the later in the draft you fall, the more issues that need to be worked out.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that OL under Shanahan was not a priority.  Bruce has made it more of a priority, but that doesn't always mean instant success.

"Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about. I responded in countering that Gibbs was fine with the way it was run because it was all new to him and didn't think any differently.

You responded that Danny has no business running a team.

I have no idea why you felt it necessary to say that... As if anyone disagreed with you..."

I guess we're both confused then. You are saying that Gibbs knew that Danny had no business building a team but was still fine with him being involved in the draft and free agency and it wasn't just because Snyder was his boss?

Archived