Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little History - Frustrated, ticked off, well yes...............but

HapHaszard

I'll echo what a lot of you said about Marty. I was 9 when that season happened, and it is a bit fuzzy in my mind, but I do remember the 'Skins were a completely different team in the second half of the season than they were in the first, especially in that beat down they put on the Saints. We were coming off an extremely disappointing 2000 season where we came in expecting a Super Bowl contender and instead, it turned out to be the season that finally got Norv kicked out of town. The fact that we were able to stop the bleeding and put an 8-8 team together in 2001 is incredible, especially when you consider an 8-8 season the previous year was a tremendous disappointment. 

I really wish Synder kept Marty around for at least one more season. May he would have set a more solid foundation for the Gibbs II era instead of the **** show the Ole Ball Coach put together in D.C. 

lol and then snyder did his slight of hand again and gave us ol' ball coach... trung for davis.. didn't they let go of brad and brought in shane mathews and that other florida qb... the one who couldn't throw the ball past his own cleats...had as much velocity on the ball as a hot air baloon...geez.. cant remember his name...oh just hit me...Danny..Danny Awful....

However, I did name my dog after Patrick... Ramsey!! Ramsey-Rooo!!! He's still around n he loves him some Skins!! ain't that right good boy...

oh wait maybe brad was for george

How many teams went to a single Super Bowl after firing Schottenheimer?

Browns fans, LOL, Chiefs fans, LOL, Chargers Fans, LOL, yeah and us Redskins fans too, thx Snyder.

Cowher was a Schottenheimer dude and the Steelers stuck with him longer than anybody stuck with Marty and he got 1 SB then he quit but he may have won them 2-3 more. And I still say O'Donnel was paid off by somebody in that one SB lol.

Yeah I was pissed when i found out he was fired too.

Wow, I never thought about that. Still he is a HoF coach to me. He had the Gleam. The GLEAM!! Boy, his teams were great. With Kosar, Slaughter, mathews, and one of the best pick ups in franchise history (no offense Riggo) Byner. Wasn't he a joy to watch. He would be an awesome compliment to Alfred... so would kelvin bryant (Heels!)... anyhoo, I was more scared of those teams than denvers.

This is awesome to be able to talk to all of you fellow skins fans... I've been creepin/stalkin Extremeskins for a long time.. and to be able to communicate is cool as chit... however, I do have one complaint... more skinscast please! You can't tell me ya'll are soooo busy in your professional lives...except for Murph.. that ya'll can't do more then 1 show every three months... come'on you can't spare one hour in your week... I mean even counting your personal lives...no offense... you know ya'll can practically phone it in... Come on, ya'll are better Skins than that!

Hap, I know where your heart is and I understand where you are coming from. But, I'm really tired if living in the past. I mean, every time something happens with this team, we always want to compare things to the glory days as if lightning will strike twice. I'm tired of dusting off old memories and old trophies.

As much as our fanbase would like, the Hogs aren't showing up, this isn't a strike year and Saint Joe is out of time. I want this team to write their own championship history. I've just come to terms the last few years that I'll never see another SB victory. I'll have to wear out the three SB games on DVD until I die or they wear out.

Sorry, nothing will cheer me up with this team except victories and they seem few and far between.

Our secondary is still weak, Riley Jr. cannot cover, Orakpo is overhyped, everyone was getting on the Cousins bandwagon because of 2 good games, and Polumbus should not be a starting tackle in this league. Fix half of these issues and we could be a very good team. By the way I'm not saying Cousins isn't any good, I just think people were getting their hopes up too high on him. You could tell he was trying to force it on every pass in the 2nd half and that he felt it was all on him. I like Cousins, but make no mistake RG3 is our starting QB when he comes back.

Biggest difference now and then.......Bobby Beathard! I do like Jay though and really hope Dan is patient with him! Anyone have a phone number for bobby?

Exactly. People forget Beathard hit on one of the greatest drafts in history in 81, landing Mark May, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby (UDFA), Joe Washington (traded 2nd rd pick), Dexter Manley, Charles Mann....I think Clint Didier also went in that draft.

Beathard worked for 4 different teams, all of which went to the SB, and all but Samn Diego won multiple times.

Spurrier wanted Beathard brought here, but after making him a lowball offer which Beathard accepted, Snyder refused Beathard's request for incentives for things like playoff appearances and subsequently refused to call Beathard back-choosing instead to bring back Vinny Bugeyes.

For the record, the offer to Bobby was 500k at the same time we were paying Spurrier $5m.

Spurrier wanted Beathard brought here, but after making him a lowball offer which Beathard accepted, Snyder refused Beathard's request for incentives for things like playoff appearances and subsequently refused to call Beathard back-choosing instead to bring back Vinny Bugeyes.

For the record, the offer to Bobby was 500k at the same time we were paying Spurrier $5m.

Is that true? Wow, I never knew that. 

I don't see much in the way of talent outside the skill positions on offense. This talent went 3-13 last year and may have slightly underperformed. This is a 5 or 6 win team just based on talent.

Yep that's the cold hard truth. I tried to make myself believe that it was all Shanahan's fault last year and that with a new coach we would be better.  Nope

Biggest difference now and then.......Bobby Beathard! I do like Jay though and really hope Dan is patient with him! Anyone have a phone number for bobby?

I was listening to Mike and Mike the other day and they said Bobby Beathard is known as the guy who drafted Ryan Leaf.  Surprised that would over rule his greatness here in DC, but I guess that's my biased slant.

I'll echo what a lot of you said about Marty. I was 9 when that season happened,

I really wish Synder kept Marty around for at least one more season. May he would have set a more solid foundation for the Gibbs II era instead of the **** show the Ole Ball Coach put together in D.C.

Since you were only 9, I can't fault you for being confused. In the 4 years Gibbs was here, he won more playoff games (1) than Schotferbrains won the last 15 uears of his coaching career. Herr Marty insisted on retaining GM duties despite having a putrid draft 2nd only to 2008 as the worst Skins draft ever. In 2000 we went 8-8 because of a rash of injuries. In 2001 we had the easiest schedule in the NFL,almost no injuries, and we still finished 8-8. We got blown out by some of the worst teams in the NFL the first 4 games because Schothead refused to give Stephen Davis the ball or pass more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and his brother's defense was a joke. He gave monster contracts to bubble players like Donnell Bennett and Kevin Lockett because they were shameless yes men.

It is what it is. I really like Gruden, but he won't succeed here...nobody does. We change coaches, systems, QBs, schemes, players, everything. The results remain the same. At least with RG3 playing, there was a false sense of security with our backup QB ..but now we don't even have that. It appears, unfortunately, that we'll be searching for a franchise QB again real soon, leaving us unable to fill GLARING holes at other positions. 

This is what we are. The reasons for it are plenty, the way to correct it is unknown to everyone...we've tried everything. 

You know, I'm a little frustrated by the tone around here... We got throttled, and I get it. And to make it worse, it was a NFC East team. It was a rough game, and VERY painful to watch. There wasn't much that went right at all.

But it's one game at this point. Let's wait for the panic. We've shown in three games that we seem to have an improved team and situation. Houston was the most lopsided of those three games, but JJ Watt took over that game. I don't think we played all that poorly. We did get curb stomped on Thursday night, on a short week, and after a physical battle against Philly. We didn't even get to practice, really.

That's not an excuse. The Giants played on a short week too and got the job done. But Thursday night games have become a place for blowouts to occur anyways. The healthier team usually wins, and wins big. Most of the time, that winds up being the better team as well.

I'll show signs of panic and worry if we don't even show signs of life against Seattle. If we're in the game, I'll be excited about our direction. I don't necessarily see us winning, but I refuse to say we can't. The 'Skins have some talent and with some time off to recover they'll be in much better shape. 

The tone???...the reason we cant compete is lack of talent ..everyone knows..sugar coat it all you want to..until we finally get rid of hssslet and build a complete team the results are going to be the same...we've been in rebuilding mode a long time only problem is the franchise doesn't know how to build properly and the house crumbles down everytime.

The tone???...the reason we cant compete is lack of talent ..everyone knows..sugar coat it all you want to..until we finally get rid of hssslet and build a complete team the results are going to be the same...we've been in rebuilding mode a long time only problem is the franchise doesn't know how to build properly and the house crumbles down everytime.

WELL SAID!

When we have a starter go down its a nightmare for us, unlike most teams their backup is somehwat quality where the redskins back up is god awful. Every week we see underdog teams come out fired up and just simply shock the better team and win.. I dont see that with this group at all. Look at how Tampa went in to Pittsburgh yesterday and won the game in clutch time. Or look at the sunday night game when a team with a "horrible defense" took it to a Saints team that was the favorite and by all means should have blown them out.

There is no fire in this current group of Redskins, and the script is out there for the other NFL teams when they play the Redskins to win... Just go out and punch them once and the redskins will fall apart.

"Gibbs started 0-5 then started a dynasty." People say the same thing with every coach.

Gruden seems competent to me, the blowout against NYG was skewed due to the Kirk meltdown. Through the balance of 4 games they've moved the ball really well but have not executed consistently enough to deserve being anything better than 1-3. He inherited a 4-12 team so I guess he deserves a season to be judged. The fact he had people around here believing they still had a shot of competing with Rob knocked out is testament to the guy.

I still feel that the offense, when healthy, should be in the top third of the league without really trying. The defense is a joke and Haslett & Co. are a lame duck. Special teams has legitimately lost them two games.

This team really needs more talent to be relevant. It's been a problem for decades. This team doesn't have "the best" of anything.

I think thats a very good, very fair point.  If you expect a new coach to come in and blow it up his first few games, get real, or get Zorn.  In reality, there HAVE to be growing pains.  Same thing for new QBs.  Peyton Manning didnt exactly avoid interceptions his first year, and Cousins has had less than 8 starts under his belt.  Its not whether you have a bad game but do you keep having them.

That said, Peyton Manning by the end of his first season figured it out.  So did Joe Gibbs, as they went 8-3 after that.  Successful coaches in the NFL are successful by the end of their second year, with almost no exceptions.  So give Gruden 2 years, expect pain in the meantime.

One person that's being left out of this discussion, and really had an impact on the team's success.

Jack Kent Cooke.

He was an owner that didn't meddle in Gibbs or Bobby's work, he let them do their job; BUT, he'd damn sure let em know if they were messing up.

For those who weren't around for the good ol' days, Mr.Cooke was the type of man that wouldn't take crap from anyone. If Mara even THOUGHT about pulling any of the crap he did, Cooke would call him on the phone, tell him ' hang up the phone, drop your pants, grab a broom handle, and shove it deep'.

And Mara would.

Teams simply don't win a lot of games with a backup QB unless the rest of the team is a championship level team (Ravens; Dilfer & Banks).

Cousins will be up and down, inconsistent, so that is what we should expect as a fan base.

Agreed.  Cousins for an extended period coupled with a Rookie Head Coach spells growing pains.  Let's accept these circumstances for what they are.  From what I have seen, too many posters impulsively go to the '20 years of losing, etc' talk too quick.

I can see potential it just needs to be developed.  I'm going to bite my tongue and just sit back and watch for a while, It may work out.

I agree with HapHaszard.  I know this is a message board & we need stuff to talk about, but my vote is for the wait-n-see approach.  That's entirely reasonable.

Seahawks - loss
Cardinals - loss
Titans - win?
Cowboys - must win
Vikings  - win ?
Tampa - win ?
SF - loss
Indi - must win
St. Louis - win?
so before the home stretch we could be - 7 - 6...and right in the thick of things... its possible...
HTTR

I personally think there's something to this; could it be the team is just starting slow?  Also consider that upon close inspection of the Schedule, we are currently in the toughest 4 game stretch of our season.  If this team does improve going forward, then there is a chance to make some noise on the back end.

Let's just wait awhile and see.

You know Hap, I thought about Gibbs and his start a lot and Coach Gruden and the one thing the man did was adapt, in a big way, maybe not even so much adapt,but flat out change.  Go with what you got. 

Right now we have a world class RB and a back up QB ... seems pretty obvious on how we should proceed. I just hope Jay is not afraid to at worst adapt and maybe even change. 

Archived