Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins’ 3-4 defense, finally built to Jim Haslett’s liking, is capable of causing havoc

98ORAKPO98

I don't blame Haslett anymore. I blame Bruce Allen for not getting rid of him. Haslett's career speaks for itself, he was out of the NFL for a reason. He was awful in the 4 years with us and yet Allen retains him for whatever reason. I guess Shanahan is still calling the plays on defense.

It's always funny when Redskins fans are right more often than the Redskins Front Office but it really does seem to be true that 1/2 of us could really do that job at least as well lol.

2015 Defensive Coordinator, Washington Redskins:

Candidates:

- Pepper Johnson - DLine - Bills

- Mike Vrabel - LB - Texans

- Kirby Smart - DC - Alabama

- Dick Bumpas - DC - TCU

- Lou Spanos - LB - Titans 

- Mark Duffner - LB - Dolphins

- Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

I honestly think both Pepper Johnson and Mike Vrabel are up-and-comers in the defensive coaches fraternity. They both come from some of the best defensive coaching trees possible, (Parcells and Belichick), not only as players but as assistant coaches as well. Both have tons of experience playing in and coaching 3-4 and the modern interpretation of the 3-4 Nickel, 2-4-5. Likewise, both Johnson / Vrabel need a chance to cut their teeth as DCs. They both are young, vibrant.

Obviously Vrabel is much younger. Vrabel also is now working with Crennel in Houston, there's some more tree roots being established. However, I wouldn't discount P.J. just because he was such a longtime assistant under Belichick. That time must have been well served absorbing a lot of experience, before going out on his own with the Bills, this last season. Back in the day, as players, both Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks were handfuls against us. 

I guess it would come down to how each one carries himself in an interview, as well as, the outline of the defensive scheme / philosophy -- whoever came off as more coherent / visionary. 

It could be our chance, finally, to land a hot young coordinator coach. 

As for Smart, I mean, Bama runs A LOT of Base defense, and a lot of Cover 2. I just ... he's not going to have the talent advantage and the depth he's been used to at Alabama if he comes to the NFL. That's one hesitation. 

Obviously Saban worked under Belichick while in Cleveland, as his DC. Saban is considered a mastermind on the defensive side. Those twice removed connections back to the Belichick / Parcells coaching tree, hopefully some of that knowledge rubs-off on Smart. 

But who knows. 

The rest of the names: You already know Lou, he's an old hand, would be nice.

Bumpas is kind-of a legend and has turned out stellar defenses at TCU, not to mention when he had NFL calibre talent, he maximized upon it. 

Duffner is a local, NOVA, and from what I've gathered is kind-of underrated. He could easily be a DC in the NFL, has been a DC in the NFL, has been a Head Coach in college, and is never without a job because of his expansive experience in coaching. 

Wilcox is a new hot name college DC. I don't know much about him other than he's got a 3-4 defense background and has been successful in his most recent stops, recent history. 

That's my list. 

So, is there any plausable reason why we don't pull the trigger on Haslett this morning? The D is already into the depth chart, with little hope of this season turning into anything meaningful.. Why let them learn bad habits from Haslett? Cut bait now and get a jump on next season.. Though picking up anyone significant at this point in the season, to replace him, is a pipe dream..

I'd rather bring back Fletcher and let him have them, w/o any coaching experience, than keep on looking at Hasbeen on the sideline week after week..

Outside of the first 2 games this season, it is a duplicate of last year.

Absolutely horrible, defense is not even functioning, giving up huge amounts of points.

Something like 82 points? In 5 days?

There is no logical reason why Haslett still has a job. Can't blame anyone  else now, no more scapegoats, no more excuses.  The Jaguars game was an anomaly; the last 2 games are more in Haslett's style. I watched the secondary continuously be spun around like contestants on dancing with the stars, once again no pressure on the QB, and true to form, after the first half, the Giants knew what Haslett was going to do adjustment-wise and made their own adjustments, so Haslett ended up being behind the 8 ball the entire game.

Always out-coached, and wasn't even in the league a few years ago; he was coaching some arena league type of team; that in itself should be telling of his incompetence, even in a league where DCs are always being looked for, no one wanted him.

Allen should do this team a favor and just fire him, and Raheem morris as well; neither will be signed by anyone. Go ahead and begin the switch back to the 4-3 regardless of what Gruden wants; it hasn't and prob never will work here, and it can't hurt. While they're at it, go back to the 80's type of jerseys and burn those mustard pants. Even go back to whit/white jerseys.

Allen had better start making some noise, or soon he will find himself looking at the back of Haslett's head, who is behind the 8 ball.

Why is anyone surprised? You keep the same coach and most of the same players from a defense that has been terrible for years and you expected them to suddenly be good? It's funny that some people actually thought after the Jags game that this was a good defense and those of us that said, it's just the Jags, were told to just enjoy a dominant win. Even after the Eagles game, people defended giving up 30 points.

It's not just Haslett that needs to go, but also a good portion of the players shouldn't be starters. Basically there is one semi-good play maker on the defense in Kerrigan (two when Hall is healthy), but otherwise no one steps up and makes a game changing play...ever.

Archived