Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins’ 3-4 defense, finally built to Jim Haslett’s liking, is capable of causing havoc

98ORAKPO98

The difference between a bad defense and a good defense is never one player or one coach.  The secondary is bad, really bad.  Every aspect of the defense suffers because of it.  Haslett is probably not a good coach, but there is no way of coaching yourself out of an entire unit being a liability.

By the end of the season, maybe Amerson and Breeland are good.  Right now, though, there is little reason for opposing teams not to take the 8 yards of uncontested real estate that the DBs are surrendering and no reason not to blow right by them if they move up.

Since Haslett has been here, he's been playing checkers; opposing DCs have been playing chess.

The difference between a bad defense and a good defense is never one player or one coach.  The secondary is bad, really bad.  Every aspect of the defense suffers because of it.  Haslett is probably not a good coach, but there is no way of coaching yourself out of an entire unit being a liability.

By the end of the season, maybe Amerson and Breeland are good.  Right now, though, there is little reason for opposing teams not to take the 8 yards of uncontested real estate that the DBs are surrendering and no reason not to blow right by them if they move up.

I understand and that’s true but we still have no sense of direction after 4/5 years. I personally don’t feel he play to his players ability. No way should Riley be on the field on 3rd down... Why was Orakpo coveringing a WR... I think he tries to get too "Cute" instead of sticking with an identity.

I understand and that’s true but we still have no sense of direction after 4/5 years. I personally don’t feel he play to his players ability. No way should Riley be on the field on 3rd down... Why was Orakpo coveringing a WR... I think he tries to get too "Cute" instead of sticking with an identity.

The bad part about that is... what if the coaching staff feels that having Riley in on 3rd down and Orakpo covering a WR is the best option we have after seeing the way our players practice?  Without knowing Gruden's comments on this is the question I want to know.  Is Gruden feeling we just need better players on defense, do they need more time to gel together, or what?  

The problem with the secondary is 1) inexperience, and 2) poor coaching.

People bagged on Josh Wilson for always having his back to the ball and not knowing where it was, and now we're seeing the same thing out of Amerson and Breeland.. That suggests poor coaching/scheme to me.

The bad part about that is... what if the coaching staff feels that having Riley in on 3rd down and Orakpo covering a WR is the best option we have after seeing the way our players practice?  Without knowing Gruden's comments on this is the question I want to know.  Is Gruden feeling we just need better players on defense, do they need more time to gel together, or what?  

I would think no matter what you'd put Keenan on the tight end instead of PR and there no answer to Rak covering a WR. Bring in another corner or something. Rak should only be rushing the QB and stopping running plays IMO. I have to put the blame on coaching for putting these player out of position and in a no win situation!

It's like they are making it complicated... Its football let these boys do what they are good at. I just dont know anymore!

Hail

Haslett's record speaks for itself AS THE REDSKINS D COORD.  You don't even have to complain about how sucky he was with other teams.  Anyone with a pulse knows he is terrible.

LOL at some people that thought he was being unleashed now that Shanny is gone.

The story of NFL coaching success is a story if talent on the field. Fans don't get that and never will

Then I guess it doesn't matter who the coach is right? All coaches created equal.

Coaching success would never have anything to do with putting a certain talent in a certain situation to succeed?

The Redskins Defense has enough talent to be a middle of the road defensive team or better, as do most NFL rosters. 85% of the teams have similar talent levels, it is what you do with that talent. 

I don't put it all on coaching but to act like coaching has nothing to do with it is insane. 

I am not even saying this as an indictment on Haslett or anyone else in particular, but yes, coaching matters. 

You hit the nail on the head here from a scheme perspective. I have no idea why Haslett plays so much base personnel in repsonse to 3 Wide.

Has anyone in the media asked about this? 

I cannot recall ever seeing so many LBs lined up on WRs.

The famous "Rambo" sucked play vs Houston, Rak was lined up on their slot WR. What QB is not eyeballing going deep there? Rambo was the fall guy, Haslett LB/SSs on WRs lives on, and the DB carousel begins. Yet we had a slot guy covered by our best pass rusher, who dropped coverage onto a strong safety in space.  It seems fans got lost picking apart the Rambo angle while in damage control, and the VERY questionable Haslett approach to pass coverage lived on for another week, unquestioned.

Hats off to others that saw Rak out wide there asking WTF, and looking a little past Rambo for the blame game.

If he covers Seattle's WR's with our LBs, I may be utilizing the full coverage insurance policy I took out on my dumbass smart TV.

Has anyone in the media asked about this? 

I cannot recall ever seeing so many LBs lined up on WRs.

The famous "Rambo" sucked play vs Houston, Rak was lined up on their slot WR. What QB is not eyeballing going deep there? Rambo was the fall guy, Haslett LB/SSs on WRs lives on, and the DB carousel begins. Yet we had a slot guy covered by our best pass rusher, who dropped coverage onto a strong safety in space.  It seems fans got lost picking apart the Rambo angle while in damage control, and the VERY questionable Haslett approach to pass coverage lived on for another week, unquestioned.

Hats off to others that saw Rak out wide there asking WTF, and looking a little past Rambo for the blame game.

If he covers Seattle's WR's with our LBs, I may be utilizing the full coverage insurance policy I took out on my dumbass smart TV.

I noticed this too, and while Rambo took the fall for it, I thought it was the wrong move. They cut Rambo to make way for Merriweather, who promptly gives up 3 td's the next week.

The scheme is terrible, and I cannot for the life of me understand why its still here. Your best pass rusher should NEVER be covering wide receivers on 3rd downs, and your worst coverage LB should not be covering wr's and TE's on 3rd downs. but it happens routinely, and we get burned for it .

Add to that the fact that our blitzes are rarely ever disguised, that's why they're so inneffective. Teams know where the blitz is coming from, adjust for it, and burn us on the other side.

I absolutely HATE the fact that haztard is still employed, and people still defend him.. Yes talent has alot to do with it, but look at Dallasss, they have an even WORSE defense personnel-wise than we do and they're playing better. What's the difference? A better D coordinator vs the ****ing pair of clownshoes we have in Morris and Haztard.

I finally had the chance to watch the Sean Taylor story on NFL network and I must say.  I wish we had players who had that mentality / desire that he had on defense.  I wish we had one player who could just read offenses the way he could.  I sure do miss watching him play every Sunday.  No matter what you could always guarantee he would show up !!

Since Haslett has been here, he's been playing checkers; opposing DCs have been playing chess.

This right here! Do not think a good coach can't get the best out of his players and his unit in all. A good coach knows how to attack weaknesses from opposing teams even with an average player. A piss poor coach will make an average or even elite player look below average, and this is exactly what is going on with our Defense. It's not a coincidence that players leave this Defense and end up  in the Pro Bowl the following season! At the very least they have very good success. 

There are only 2 things that are going happen here with the Redskins, either Jim Haslett is thrown out or Jay Gruden will be the next victim of this losing franchise. We will never be a winning team with Jim Haslett coaching our Defense! Defense win Championships, Hasletts defense makes offenses look like Champions.

I would think no matter what you'd put Keenan on the tight end instead of PR and there no answer to Rak covering a WR. Bring in another corner or something. Rak should only be rushing the QB and stopping running plays IMO. I have to put the blame on coaching for putting these player out of position and in a no win situation!

It's like they are making it complicated... Its football let these boys do what they are good at. I just dont know anymore!

Hail

Sorry, but in a 3-4 system, your OLBs will be in coverage at times.  That's simple numbers.  Even Demarcus Ware was in coverage at times with the Cowboys.  It isn't ideal, but depending on the play that's on and how much help is out there, it can work.

The problem is, we have a secondary that it a combination of young and learning and over-the-hill, which comes from years of the team not dealing with the problem.

Sorry, but in a 3-4 system, your OLBs will be in coverage at times.  That's simple numbers.  Even Demarcus Ware was in coverage at times with the Cowboys.  It isn't ideal, but depending on the play that's on and how much help is out there, it can work.

The problem is, we have a secondary that it a combination of young and learning and over-the-hill, which comes from years of the team not dealing with the problem.

I hear you buddy! But Ware also gets sacks like crazy too. I just dont get why they use a olb to cover a WR. I could see a tight end maybe even a RB but a WR... Idk man!

I thought the word 'bigger' might sound wrong, but I was thinking more of the LB area; they don't seem to match up well against faster TE sets; scratch that, they just don't match up.

Robinson does.  If he stays healthy he could be a real diamond in the rough.  Special talent.

Riley should be delivering for UPS

I just hope beyond hope that next season Haslett(ing teams score), will be in the CFL or just retired. Our defense has been putrid since he's been here. I refuse to believe, when healthy, we don't have enough talent to be average. I'd love to just have a middling, mediocre defense right now.

I thought the word 'bigger' might sound wrong, but I was thinking more of the LB area; they don't seem to match up well against faster TE sets; scratch that, they just don't match up.

To be honest, most LBs don't match up well against faster TEs.  It is why such guys are problems for defenses, and why it is important for our offense to get Reed back.  The problem also is to be physical with them at the line, which we were not good at with the Giants.

I just hope beyond hope that next season Haslett(ing teams score), will be in the CFL or just retired. Our defense has been putrid since he's been here. I refuse to believe, when healthy, we don't have enough talent to be average. I'd love to just have a middling, mediocre defense right now.

i thought we should have upgraded from Haslett already.

BUT this defense is not healthy right now.

I'm certain it would look a lot better with DHall, Barry Cofield, a 100% Hatcher and a healthy Duke Ihenacho

Archived