Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest athlete fall from grace?

Spaceman Spiff

His level of grace lasted..... what? 8 hours or something?

I don't put Lance in the same category as Johnson, mainly because it's cycling and everyone cheats because if you don't cheat, you will actually die and the sport is stupid.

But Johnson was only famous for about a day because he was juiced to the gills and the minute he was caught, he became a mediocre runner again.

I just thought he was an interesting mention.  Perhaps the greatest "spike" in relevance following by the bottom falling out. Relatively irrelevant to "fastest human being to ever walk the face of the earth "to disgraced drug using villian in about 48 hours.

OJ

Rose

Paterno

Armstriomg

Nobody else is close.

Word on tiger: his indiscretions in the end didn't cause a great fall from grace. It cost him his marriage. But he rebounded to play pretty well, kept his largest endorser, and started dating Lindey Vonn. His biggest problem is that he's no longer the best golfer around. Which has more to do with injuries than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Pete Rose bet on his own team to win, so that doesn't seem SO bad to me.

Sorry, I just can't have any sympathy for Pete Rose.

First off, the rule on betting on baseball is the one thing that is posted in every MLB locker room -- it's that central to the sport.  Second off, betting on your team to win is still a big deal.  Baseball is a long season and even the best teams typically lose more than 1/3 of their games.  If Rose was using pitchers who shouldn't have been available to pitch on those days, then he was putting players' careers at risk for his own personal interests.  

Finally, Rose didn't just bet on baseball.  He lied about it for years after it happened.  All he had to do for reinstatement was admit to what he'd done and he couldn't do that.  He reapplied for reinstatement multiple times knowing this and tried to garner sympathy and make MLB look like the bad guy.  

And when he did finally admit to it, it came as he was promoting his autobiography and going on a book tour. I've heard he's shown more remorse recently for his actions, but I'd be far more forgiving if he'd been open and honest and dealt with this ~25 years ago rather than draw it out in the most egotistical way possible.

I tend to agree with you on Shoeless Joe, although I'm not as familiar with the details.

What did Timmy Smith do?

Did he even make the '88 Redskins roster?  The last I read he was driving a bus in Denver of all places.

CORRECTION:  He's not a bus driver, but a bus dispatcher.  And it is at the Denver airport (as of 2009)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-21/super-bowl-heroes-where-are-they-now-ickey-woods-butch-johnson-chuck-foreman/slide/7

Did he even make the '88 Redskins roster?  The last I read he was driving a bus in Denver of all places.

CORRECTION:  He's not a bus driver, but a bus dispatcher.  And it is at the Denver airport (as of 2009)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-21/super-bowl-heroes-where-are-they-now-ickey-woods-butch-johnson-chuck-foreman/slide/7

Ah, I get it. Well at least his fall from grace was only about football. I was thinking he committed a crime or did something embarrassing off the field.

Ah, I get it. Well at least his fall from grace was only about football. I was thinking he committed a crime or did something embarrassing off the field.

I think he did.  He spent some time in jail ~10 years ago for something drug-related.  

I don't know if he'd fall under the 'fall from grace' category though.  He had one incredible game in his career.  It just happened to be a Super Bowl.  The story I've read is that Gibbs knew all week that Rodgers wouldn't be able to play.  He told the veterans that Smith would be getting the carries but never told him because Gibbs didn't think Timmy Smith could handle the buildup to the game mentally. So it turns out Gibbs had Smith pegged exactly right.

• 3 months later...

Archived