Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest athlete fall from grace?

Spaceman Spiff

While a long time ago, I'd have to guess the black sox scandal was one of the biggest. 

Here's why I didn't include the Black Sox.  Out of sight, out of mind.  People know them by the group name, but unless you've read/watched Eight Men Out, or are a big baseball history guy, how many of them can you name?

I'm a baseball guy, and I can only name two off the top of my head, Joe Jackson and Eddie Cicotte.  And I can only name Cicotte because he was at the top of his game when he was banned and was one of the first to have a ton of success using a knuckleball.  People still know who Pete Rose is, and many of them really care about his situation, which is why he gets a higher place on the list.

On the World scene Maradona maybe?

Ronaldo gets votes too on the global/soccer front. Leads Brazil to the World Cup, turns into fat ass and is caught with three transvestite prostitutes.

And to do it on a global stage, and quickly, the fall of Ben Johnson was spectacular. Win the Olympic 100m in a World Record, beat the Americans and Soviet Bloc  ... fastest man on Earth ... national and international hero. Then stripped of gold medal for steroids just two days later.

My personal though vote is Tiger.  Clean cut, smashing cultural barriers, world's wealthiest athlete ... to adulterous loser sex addict.

Ray Carruth wasn't a star though.

Hmm...1st round draft pick in his 3rd year in the NFL.

He paid to have a woman killed, tried to run by hiding in the trunk of a car, got caught & was sentenced to 18-24 years. 

Maybe not a star at the level of Pete Rose or OJ, but dude fell a lot further than anyone else on this list. 

You know, within five years, McGwire is going to be fully rehabilitated, I think.

He will never get into the Hall of Fame. I think most people simply don't care about him nearly as much as a guy like Bonds cause Bonds has the fake home run record now.

Ronaldo gets votes too on the global/soccer front. Leads Brazil to the World Cup, turns into fat ass and is caught with three transvestite prostitutes.

you're joking?

he is still very revered around hte globe. No one even cares about the transvestite stuff. He was paraded around the FIFA world cup and had that BBC special about him this past summer.

you're joking?

he is still very revered around hte globe. No one even cares about the transvestite stuff. He was paraded around the FIFA world cup and had that BBC special about him this past summer.

Certainly not a fall from grace like those who committed violent crimes, but he became a huge (literally) joke.

Forehead nailed it.  The thing that separates OJ, Armstrong, and Rose from the others is how deeply they were beloved before their fall.  What huge public figures they were. Hell, Armstrong the cancer survivor king of charity was probably up for sainthood.

Everyone hated Barry Bonds as a person, so he was never "in" grace.  Not everyone hated Clemons, but a lot of people did.  Plus by the time that stuff came out, everyone had started to understand that most everyone in baseball was using steroids, so it diluted the impact for individual players.

All of us were terrified of Mike Tyson all along, so finding out that he was actually crazy and criminal didn't surprise anyone.   Lawrence Taylor was out of the public spotlight when he fell apart, so it didn't have a huge impact.  Tiger Woods is still successful at his sport and just doesn't make the cut.  And no one cares enough about really good but second tier star athletes like Raffy Palmiero or Mike Vick or Rae Carruth or Gil Arenas or Darrell Strawberry or Latrell Sprewell for them to make the list.  

OJ, Armstrong and Rose.  

Can anyone name a player from the steroid era of baseball that has a slim of a chance of making it into the Baseball Hall of Fame without any scrutiny?

Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemons, etc, etc etc......

Anyone

Anyone

Not sure when exactly the steroid era is considered to have occurred as far as a timeline goes, but Mariano Rivera and Jeter come to mind. Chipper Jones?

Forehead nailed it.  The thing that separates OJ, Armstrong, and Rose from the others is how deeply they were beloved before their fall.  What huge public figures they were. Hell, Armstrong the cancer survivor king of charity was probably up for sainthood.

I dunno about Armstrong. Just about everyone who followed cycling knew he was cheating. And many who didn't still think he's OK because 'everyone else was doing it'.

As a furrnier I never really knew, or cared, about Rose or OJ. 

Can anyone name a player from the steroid era of baseball that has a slim of a chance of making it into the Baseball Hall of Fame without any scrutiny?

Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemons, etc, etc etc......

Anyone

Anyone

Frank Thomas is already in and Griffey is a shoe in.

Archived