Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Ravens (Audio)

NoLeafClover

lol i dont drink kool aid bruh

You're missin out.  Ish is delicious 

If it makes anybody feel any better, colin kaepernick is looking absolutely TERRIBLE vs the Chargers and their message board is having a panic attack and bashing him. lol

Plus Sam Bradford just tore his ACL and he's out for the season.  So yea RGIII was terrible yesterday but it could always be worse. lol

Lets just be patient and hope RGIII & Jay Gruden were just trolling us yesterday.  :P

It doesn't make me feel any better.  It actually just confirms what I'm starting to believe and that is that there is no room in the nfl for quarterbacks that rely solely on physical abilties when the best qb's in the game , brady, brees, manning, etc are nowhere nearly as gifted as the kaps and the RG3's.  They rely on their mental abilities .

Some of the excuses im seeing for Robert remind me of the Jason Campbell years.... I really hope that in 2 years people aren't making JC excuses "if he just had a good line", " the receivers sucks", "the playcalling was awful"

If there was one common denominator I would point to, spanning the Redskins' years of drought (w. the 2012 exception), it'd be the idea that you don't actually need a good line.  I get the feeling Grudes is the one who will finally get this.

Sure glad everyone knows the REAL test of how good a QB is and can be is in the preseason.

So glad I know longer live in VA and have to listen to the over reactionary whinefest that will follow.

Never saw a team look good or bad in the preseason and determine how the season will go. If anything, the preseason presents the coaches an opportunity to test what players dont do well and see how they react. There were no quick passes and nothing really safe called all that frequently. In a real game you would have seen a lot of screens and quick passes instead of starting a game with deep outs (likely to see how well they're doing with big plays).

Just because its game 3 doesnt mean its not still preseason. Obviously you want the offense to do better, but when players still have the mindset that its just preseason, youre not guaranteed the best results. Not every player is fighting for a spot on the team

Sam Bradford tore his acl. I wonder what they'll offer for Kirk.

Probably not enough to make it worth our while. They're desperate, but IMO, not desperate enough to go much higher than the 4th Kirk was worth this offseason. They've got Shaun Hill, who at this stage of the game is probably a better option for them than Kirk. I suspect the Rams will use a pick on a guy in the next draft rather than try to trade for their next QB.

The real question is what will we accept.

Or, he's completely comfortable with what he's seen and is evaluating other things, and doesn't give a damn about how RGIII looks in the preseason.

kinda funny about the 'not giving a damn' about how griff's looked...  i'm sure he's concerned.  he doesn't want to look like bum coach.  with that said, and i'm just going to throw this out there... and i know it's been said here by others, but i truly believe that if gruden really had the keys to this franchise, he'd have a nice long convo with the powers that be and ask them if they want to win this season....  (which i believe we all here want).....   just think for a sec if cousins had all the 1st team practice reps in this style of offense...  perhaps, yes.. perhaps, we'd do better....  this year

This.

I don't think Gruden has done him any favors this preseason

Because he’s not a good pocket passer.  You have to tame him first before you can release him.  RG has a LONG learning curve ahead and i’m not too sure the fan base or the team is going to wait.  To me it tells me they trust Cousins and not RG. 

Dating back to RGIII's rookie season, i kinda realized that we've gotten used to 40-70 yards passing out of him in the 1st half of games. Made me kinda wonder, when the hell do you see guys like Brady or Brees, heck even Romo and Dalton put up those kinds of pathetic numbers? It's starting to dawn on me that RG3 may not be what we thought he was, and that's a tough pill to swallow.

Dating back to RGIII's rookie season, i kinda realized that we've gotten used to 40-70 yards passing out of him in the 1st half of games. Made me kinda wonder, when the hell do you see guys like Brady or Brees, heck even romoSUCKS and Dalton put up those kinds of pathetic numbers? It's starting to dawn on me that RG3 may not be what we thought he was, and that's a tough pill to swallow.

with all the long bombs to DJAX, Garcon and Roberts this season, I have a pretty good feeling his numbers will go higher. And i think we will start to see that in the regular season.

Its like Campbell all over again.

50% say its the qb, the other 50% make excuses.

I hate to say it but its the qb.

Hope he can so better in the season but right now cousins looks like an all star n griffin looks like a crappier mike vick

Really, you want to compare this to Campbell? Then Cousins is equal to Colt? So are you saying that Colt will be out of work in a few years.

With Campbell nobody was saying (or at least I wasn't) that he was an all pro QB, just that he was a good qb putting up ok numbers. People dismissed his stats saying that either they didn't count because he got them in garbage time or because we still lost the game (and the knock on him was that he couldn't win big games). So are you saying those are the same knocks on RG3? Or are you saying that people are going to defend RG3 like they defend Campbell?

Let me ask you (and all of the other RG3 haters) this, what happens if for some reason, be it a benching, an injury, a trade or whathavenot, that Cousins comes in and becomes the starting QB. What will you do then when his flaws are exposed? Will you be willing for a coach, be it Gruden or whoever replaces him, to work with him through those flaws to become a good QB, or will you immediately demand that the backup (whoeer it is) play because he's better at whatever aspect of the game that Cousins isn't good at.

Its not about defending RG3 right now. People are quick to point out that RG3 has limited experience as a pocket passer and limited experience in a pro-style offense. What does this mean? When RG3 was a rookie, everybody was willing to grow with RG3 and let him go through his bumps and bruises to grow into a quality NFL QB. Then he has a historic rookie year, and all of a sudden we're not willing to let him grow into an NFL QB any more. We want instant gratification.

And its not just about RG3, its about EVERY QB we've had since Rypien (and even him probably, but I can't remember). I remember the Heath/Gus debate and everybody calling for Gus (myself included). Then Gus comes in and all of a sudden we realize that he's more of a game manager than an elite QB so we want him replaced. Just insert the QB and its rinse, cycle, repeat.

No QB comes into the league ready to be an efficient NFL starter. RG3 showed that his legs can help create things for him and help ease his transition into the NFL. That's something we haven't had in a QB EVER. And while it helps Robert a lot, he still has to grow into an NFL QB that reads defenses and knows how to do checkdowns, knows when a guy is covered vs "covered", learn how his receivers run routes, etc. There's a lot that goes into it.

I posted earlier that Gruden probably wanted to analyze and get film on one specific or a few parts of playing QB. We all know that RG3 can checkdown and find guys in the flat. We all know that RG3 can run the play action. We all know that RG3 can run bootlegs. We all know that RG3 can run read option. So I think that Gruden was less concerned about RG3 establishing a tempo and building drives the ways he has historically. I think he wanted to see RG3 expand his skillset and try to become a complete QB. So he probably issued a challenge to RG3 that game and said "can you stay in the pocket, take the sack and NOT run when the play breaks down", "can you come off your first read when he gets jammed at the line", "can you do the hundreds of other things that it takes to be an effective QB".

And I think Gruden issued the same statements to Cousins, and to every player on the team. When's the last time you've seen Chester at center? I've seen no bio of this man that says he can play this position, but there he was mid game in that role.

But I understand this is EXTREME-Skins, so people are going to be quick to overreact, demand change, and then either when they receive it, demand it again, or if things work out act like they were always 100% behind Griff.

Let me ask you (and all of the other RG3 haters) this, what happens if for some reason, be it a benching, an injury, a trade or whathavenot, that Cousins comes in and becomes the starting QB. What will you do then when his flaws are exposed? Will you be willing for a coach, be it Gruden or whoever replaces him, to work with him through those flaws to become a good QB, or will you immediately demand that the backup (whoeer it is) play because he's better at whatever aspect of the game that Cousins isn't good at.

The disconnect with some people is that just because one may have a gripe about Griffin doesn't make them a 'hater'. In fact, that could be more easily flipped by saying the Griffin 'apologists' are quick to point out every other problem on the team and use that as a scapegoat.  He's not perfect by any respect, in fact, thus far he is looking bad, but myself, like most everyone else, hope this is just preseason rust.

Its not about defending RG3 right now. People are quick to point out that RG3 has limited experience as a pocket passer and limited experience in a pro-style offense. What does this mean? When RG3 was a rookie, everybody was willing to grow with RG3 and let him go through his bumps and bruises to grow into a quality NFL QB. Then he has a historic rookie year, and all of a sudden we're not willing to let him grow into an NFL QB any more. We want instant gratification.

Actually, we are allowing him his bumps and bruises, but his mouth is doing better than his skill thus far, so naturally people are gonna have reason to question.  And, IMO, if Morris wasn't in the backfield during Griffins rookie season, i'm not so certain he gets ROY.

And its not just about RG3, its about EVERY QB we've had since Rypien (and even him probably, but I can't remember). I remember the Heath/Gus debate and everybody calling for Gus (myself included). Then Gus comes in and all of a sudden we realize that he's more of a game manager than an elite QB so we want him replaced. Just insert the QB and its rinse, cycle, repeat.

Ryp was heckled by Redskin fans, by throwing pics or missing WRs, and he turned it around, even if for 1 great superb fantastic year. He may have been a flash in the pan by some's opinion, but that was one helluva bright flash.

No QB comes into the league ready to be an efficient NFL starter. RG3 showed that his legs can help create things for him and help ease his transition into the NFL. That's something we haven't had in a QB EVER. And while it helps Robert a lot, he still has to grow into an NFL QB that reads defenses and knows how to do checkdowns, knows when a guy is covered vs "covered", learn how his receivers run routes, etc. There's a lot that goes into it.

Well, it is year 3, he's not exactly a rookie, but I get your message.

I posted earlier that Gruden probably wanted to analyze and get film on one specific or a few parts of playing QB. We all know that RG3 can checkdown and find guys in the flat. We all know that RG3 can run the play action. We all know that RG3 can run bootlegs. We all know that RG3 can run read option. So I think that Gruden was less concerned about RG3 establishing a tempo and building drives the ways he has historically. I think he wanted to see RG3 expand his skillset and try to become a complete QB. So he probably issued a challenge to RG3 that game and said "can you stay in the pocket, take the sack and NOT run when the play breaks down", "can you come off your first read when he gets jammed at the line", "can you do the hundreds of other things that it takes to be an effective QB".

This could be a smokescreen. Its possible that Gruden is having Griffin work on unusual reads or something else, and come week 1 the RO will be alive and hopefully this will blow over. But if it doesn't work, if Houston lays out the blueprint to stopping the RO, trouble is ahead. Big time.

Patience overall has whittled down from a 50 ft pine tree to a toothpick. Yea, fans are nervous, high strung, excited, sensitive, but thats why we're fans and not coaches or players. I just don't want to go through another season that if Griffin struggles, the excuses of poor o-line, receivers not running right routes, poor coaching, etc; we've been through this with many QBs over the last 20 years. We want consistency, and winning, and skimpier outfits on cheerleaders. Nothing wrong with that.

kinda funny about the 'not giving a damn' about how griff's looked...  i'm sure he's concerned.  he doesn't want to look like bum coach.  with that said, and i'm just going to throw this out there... and i know it's been said here by others, but i truly believe that if gruden really had the keys to this franchise, he'd have a nice long convo with the powers that be and ask them if they want to win this season....  (which i believe we all here want).....   just think for a sec if cousins had all the 1st team practice reps in this style of offense...  perhaps, yes.. perhaps, we'd do better....  this year

Well, I think Cousins could be Andy Dalton.  

Which is good, but probably won't win you a SB.  (At least so far, that's been the pattern. Though, he's still young and developing.)

And Griffin can be Steve Young.  Who can win a SB and be an all-time talent.

That's the ceiling difference between the two.  

I guess what I was referencing is that Griffin isn't really high on Gruden's list of things to evaluate in the pre-season.  He's more interested in other things, and therefore didn't put Griffin in a really good spot to get comfortable.

Or, the opposite could be true: He could be staring at the ceiling awake wondering what the hell he's gotten himself into.

No way to know, I was just throwing out another possible view-point. 

Archived