Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Ravens (Audio)

NoLeafClover

And to take it a step further if RGIII can't get his "stuff" together I wish we never signed Jackson. How long to you think he will wait until he starts ****ing about not having a QB capable enough to distribute the ball. You want to talk about a mess, there you have it.

You sound pretty negative here. DeSean wasn't playing, Roberts got only one reception during the game such as Reed, and ultimately the Ravens played without their 3 top DBs. Robert outing was bad I confess but it's only preseason and I take it for what it's worth. Last year we had a great preseason and managed to finish with a 3-13 record.

You sound pretty negative here. DeSean wasn't playing, Roberts got only one reception during the game such as Reed, and ultimately the Ravens played without their 3 top DBs. Robert outing was bad I confess but it's only preseason and I take it for what it's worth. Last year we had a great preseason and managed to finish with a 3-13 record.

DeSean was playing. If RGIII hit him in stride on that long out of bounds pass, it could have been a TD.

Theres some "issues" in this whole quarterback situation that bother me. First of all, I'm a bit concerned that because Robert was the #2 overall pick that he gets a free pass. I think you need to ask yourself that if his name wasnt RGIII would he still be the starting QB. At this point, he looks beyond horrible out there. Next, we all blame how bad he looked last year on the knee. I truly believe that his knee wasnt 100% but again, do we want to say that his problems were 100% because of the knee or was it, like this year, where he's trying to be converted to a pocket passer and quite frankly, isnt very good at it. I think we should all be more than a little concerned. I just dont believe he is the answer as much as it pains me to say that.  As for Kirk Cousins, heres the other thing that bothers me. Everyone picks this guy apart like he needs to be God. Athletically, he may not be the Ferrari, but he's not the VW either. It's already been proven that you dont need to be a "franchise" QB to lead a team.  See Mark Rypien, see Joe Theismann. Both were good, smart QB's but certainly not "Franchise" QB's. Theres a phrase that comes to mind about this whole situation. "Just Win baby".  From what I personally see, Kirk Cousins gives us the best chance to do that. As Joe Theismann said last night, the eyes dont lie.

Will give my PASS/FAIL grades based on what I wanted to see from the Pregame thread....

1. Wipe out the Penalties - No false starts on Griff or anyone else.  No PI/Holding calls on the D.  I think we'll be better with this simply cause Mcaulay won't be calling this game..  and absolutely no boneheaded unsportsmanlike penalties by 'the bench'.  Be disciplined.

PASS - based on the reduction from preseason game 2 and possibly not having Mcaulay as the ref.

2. +Ratio on turnovers.  hold on to the damn ball when on O and force some on D.  an interception or 2 will work as well.

FAIL - Another pick from Griff for a -1 ratio

3. Quick passing game - which will make the O-line look better than it has so far.  of course this requires for Griff to get through his reads quickly as well.  the proper pre-snap reads will be important for this to happen too.  good/timely audibles will also help.

FAIL for Griff & PASS for Cousins.  'Nuff said.  Too many discussions elsewhere to go any further.

4. Griff being smarter with his slides - that or throwing the ball away which he said he'd do in the preseason if nothing was there.  And by all means, if he does scamper, avoid Ngata at all costs...

PASS as far as slides go since he didn't do any & FAIL for throwing the ball away.  Scrambling/Extending the play and taking a loss when a simple flip of the wrist out of bounds [near the 1st down marker, obviously] would have been better to see..

5. O-line nastiness running the ball - if we get into a 1st and goal and we do try to run it, let's get'r done.  missed blocking assignments didn't help in this regards last week.

INCOMPLETE - Still having problems on short yardage gains (4th and 1), but with that said, we opened up some pretty good holes for Morris (4.8 yd avg)

6. Good pressure from the front 7 - Hatcher looking good.  Let's get some strips and/or sacks and make Flacco nervous.

MAJOR PASS - Loved the pressure last night.  Even better than the 2nd preseason game.

7. Better punting and ST coverage - our weak point last year.  No long returns by them and good returns by us.

FAIL for punting and PASS for ST coverage, although we did give up one long kick return.  I smiled seeing Forbath make the tackle ala Hocker the 2 prior weeks.  As for punting, I believe we're going to need to bring in some more competition during the regular season.

this isn't too much to ask for, is it?  lol....    and as always, please no injuries...  on either team.

Overall, for me, it was a mixed bag.  Concern about the starting O and Delight on the starting D and ST's.....  I'm still hoping for the best but planning for the worst after our dress rehearsal..

I hate when people say dumb **** like that. How long does it take to send a tweet? 15 seconds? So he takes maybe 10 minutes out of his day on social media. Does BMitch go home and practice his radio skills and game analysis? From the sounds of things, I'd say no. Maybe BMitch needs to stop golfing and spend more time working on his radio skills.

It's not about how long it takes to send a tweet. It doesn't take that long to post on Facebook, either, but it's about the collective amount of attention and focus you give to those services, including the time you put into reading others' messages or the amount of time you put into thinking what you want to say. For a social media addict, their minds are preoccupied with what they're going to tweet next or pondering the sort of replies they've gotten since last time they checked their status. Ochocinco is a prime example of a social media zombie who literally had to FORCE himself to surrender the habit when he went to New England.

Subway Bob needs to do exactly that. Just fork up that BS and focus primarily on family and football, not the fans or their responses. Make the fans love and appreciate you for your work on the field, that sends a clearer and louder message than anything he could possibly tweet.

Some of the excuses im seeing for Robert remind me of the Jason Campbell years.... I really hope that in 2 years people aren't making JC excuses "if he just had a good line", " the receivers sucks", "the playcalling was awful"

Agreed.. Always the same old excuses.  I swear there is a computer making these posts.  

And for once I would love Robert to come out and say before anything " I played badly I need to get better this loss in on me" but imo it always seems like he has to throw in a "we" first. "we" didn't do well on offense "we" couldnt get it together. not saying its all his fault but sometimes I wonder if Robert is capable of saying a loss is on him. does anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

And for once I would love Robert to come out and say before anything " I played badly I need to get better this loss in on me" but imo it always seems like he has to throw in a "we" first. "we" didn't do well on offense "we" couldnt get it together. not saying its all his fault but sometimes I wonder if Robert is capable of saying a loss is on him. does anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

Everything is "we". As it should be unless he throws a game killing INT or something. He's not pointing fingers and he takes plenty of blame if you actually watch the pressers.

Someone mentioned earlier that Shanahan molded the offense to hide RG3's deficiencies.  I agree with that.   People look at that rookie year and believe that is something he could build off on and get better at and look at last year as an aberration.  I believe in the opposite.  That rookie year no one wants to closely analyze but going back and rewatching old games I was shocked at how few times he actually threw the ball downfield.  Most of his passing plays were wr screens or crossing routes right in front of him.  Most of his successful deep balls were 1 on 1's where he put it where just his guy could get it but that opportunity does not present itself often.  

For those complaining about the oline but advocating rg3 to run more read option and less 3 and 5 step drops you make me laugh.  No oline can completely dominate the dline that is why you have 3 and 5 step drops so you can get rid of the ball quickly.  You can't have it both ways.  If that oline is going to have success they are going to need rg3 to learn how to develop some sort of timing with his wr's that means being able to read the plays and relying less on his mobility.

The truly great QBs put the blame on themselves first. If Tom Brady has a crappy game he'll put the blame on himself first before anyone. Robert seems to very reluctantly throw an "I" in there at the end

You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear, and that's very clear by now.

That's the last I'll say on that particular topic.

He is a communications major. He knows exactly what he's doing when he uses the language of responsibility.

Someone mentioned earlier that Shanahan molded the offense to hide RG3's deficiencies.  I agree with that.   People look at that rookie year and believe that is something he could build off on and get better at and look at last year as an aberration.  I believe in the opposite.  That rookie year no one wants to closely analyze but going back and rewatching old games I was shocked at how few times he actually threw the ball downfield.  Most of his passing plays were wr screens or crossing routes right in front of him.  Most of his successful deep balls were 1 on 1's where he put it where just his guy could get it but that opportunity does not present itself often.  

For those complaining about the oline but advocating rg3 to run more read option and less 3 and 5 step drops you make me laugh.  No oline can completely dominate the dline that is why you have 3 and 5 step drops so you can get rid of the ball quickly.  You can't have it both ways.  If that oline is going to have success they are going to need rg3 to learn how to develop some sort of timing with his wr's that means being able to read the plays and relying less on his mobility.

thank you the 2012 Read Option Offense was a gimmick

that "vanilla" playcalling is going to make it's way into the regular season guaranteed

If it makes anybody feel any better, colin kaepernick is looking absolutely TERRIBLE vs the Chargers and their message board is having a panic attack and bashing him. lol

Plus Sam Bradford just tore his ACL and he's out for the season.  So yea RGIII was terrible yesterday but it could always be worse. lol

Lets just be patient and hope RGIII & Jay Gruden were just trolling us yesterday.  :P

Archived