Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Ravens (Audio)

NoLeafClover

Here's another way of looking at RG3's stats (including the plays called back):

1-10, Short Left passes: 0/1 with the interception

1-10, Short right passes: 1/3 for 1 yard (including a play called back because defensive offsides)

1-10, Deep right passes: 0/2 with a defensive pass interference and the other pic

There was also a sack on first and 10.

2-8, short right passes: 1/1 for 3 yards

2-15, short right passes: 1/1 for 6 yards

3-3, one sack allowed.

3-4, short middle passes: 1/1 for 7 yards

3-5, 1 fumbled handoff

3-9, short left passes, 1/1 for 29 yards (called beck because of holding though)

3-10, one sack allowed

3-13, one scramble for 4 yards

3-19, short right 1/1 for 3 yards,

So by area of the field

SL: 1/2 for 29 yards with an INT

SM: 1/1 for 7 yards

SR: 4/6 for 13 yards

DR: 0/2 with an INT called back because of PI.

And by player:

Jackson 0/3, Int called back because of PI

Roberts 1/1 (6)

Reed 2/2 (36)

Helu 1/1 (3)

Garcon 2/2 (4)

Morris 0/1, Int

Totally agree....from the Rams, we should accept NOTHIN less than a 1st. I see it now, Cousins goes to the Rams and becomes Joe Montana, and takes them to the SB. Adding MORE sting to that trade. Hell no....

Or we give up on Griffin and put in Cousins, he flames out, Griffin goes somewhere else and becomes Steve Young. 

Either could happen.  When Tampa ran Young out, he had a ton of ability, made some athletic plays, but hadn't put it all together yet. 

Here's another way of looking at RG3's stats (including the plays called back):

1-10, Short Left passes: 0/1 with the interception

1-10, Short right passes: 1/3 for 1 yard (including a play called back because defensive offsides)

1-10, Deep right passes: 0/2 with a defensive pass interference and the other pic

There was also a sack on first and 10.

2-8, short right passes: 1/1 for 3 yards

2-15, short right passes: 1/1 for 6 yards

3-3, one sack allowed.

3-4, short middle passes: 1/1 for 7 yards

3-5, 1 fumbled handoff

3-9, short left passes, 1/1 for 29 yards (called beck because of holding though)

3-10, one sack allowed

3-13, one scramble for 4 yards

3-19, short right 1/1 for 3 yards,

So by area of the field

SL: 1/2 for 29 yards with an INT

SM: 1/1 for 7 yards

SR: 4/6 for 13 yards

DR: 0/2 with an INT called back because of PI.

And by player:

Jackson 0/3, Int called back because of PI

Roberts 1/1 (6)

Reed 2/2 (36)

Helu 1/1 (3)

Garcon 2/2 (4)

Morris 0/1, Int

Interesting. Glaring there is lack of production on 1st down.  

Good point(s) Thinking Skins

RG3's great performance in 2012 raised the expectation bar for many, through the roof.  And likely even my own. 2013 was a disaster in every aspect of the team. Expectations should follow, including of RG3, who was clearly still ailing much of the season.

Problem - fans expectations are rarely to never openly stated here, yet ones expectations are foundation of every post here, and dictates priorities.

We do not even know Gruden's short term expectations.

One may assume he wants to discard things Robert did well in college, and make him a clone of Andy Dalton. Gruden likely thinks his playbook and approach is perfect. And he is entitled to think that, since he may the playoffs every year, and made a decent QB out of a guy extremefans were afraid of. 

One may assume what we are seeing in preseason is just drill work for him, on the things he does least well. Gruden has basically said as such.

In just a tiny sample size of 20 attempts, one should check put their expectations in check if using preseason to grade Robert's progress over 2013, or upside.

Interesting. Glaring there is lack of production on 1st down.

True, but notice the 0/2 deep (both to Jackson), so was Gruden trying to establish chemistry with Griffin and Jackson, and/or try to get Baltimore to stop playing close to the line? One was PI&Int, the other was a bad timing. The other problem is that first and ten with short right 1/3 for one yard and short right 0/1 with an interception. This plays into the idea of Baltimore taking away the close routes and darign us to beat them deep.

Well, I think Cousins could be Andy Dalton.  

Which is good, but probably won't win you a SB.  (At least so far, that's been the pattern. Though, he's still young and developing.)

And Griffin can be Steve Young.  Who can win a SB and be an all-time talent.

That's the ceiling difference between the two.  

I guess what I was referencing is that Griffin isn't really high on Gruden's list of things to evaluate in the pre-season.  He's more interested in other things, and therefore didn't put Griffin in a really good spot to get comfortable.

Or, the opposite could be true: He could be staring at the ceiling awake wondering what the hell he's gotten himself into.

No way to know, I was just throwing out another possible view-point.

I just look at this fan base, this site and this city in general and how they treat people. We were ready to give up on Chris Webber fr being injured when he was here and for not being a good Center. We were ready to give up on John Wall for Ricky Rubio. EB (on the Sports Junkies) called Strausberg a bust because in HIS ROOKIE YEAR he threw 14 strikeouts and EB then declared that he was upset because Strausberg would never match that high again. Harper was also rookie of the year and then he struggled coming back from injury and all of a sudden people are calling him a bust this year because he's not competing for NL MVP?

The only person we really ever really gravitated to Ovi and even he gets hated on by the fans because the caps can't seem to beat Pitt in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs).

I really wonder if this town can handle a superstar. I think if the front office and coaches were to listen to fans, then we deserve to stay in the mediocre level of players that we've been getting for years now. Maybe we could build an empire like Pitt or Baltimore where we have a stout defense and can have longevity that way, but if this fan base has its way (not just with RG3 but with every QB we draft with the intention of developing), then all we're going to be doing is cycling QBs in and out like Cleveland does. If that's what the fan base wants then go right ahead and go 6-10 with maybe hopes of making a wild card and getting thrown out of the playoffs in the first or second round.

I look at John Wall right now and how he's GROWN since he was a rookie. No he can't a three like Mark Price, but his jumpshot has developed to a point where if defenses leave him alone for that midrange free-throw line jumper he can take it and hit it enough to be a threat. That's called GROWTH. That took time. That took patience. That took a coaching staff that was willing to grow with him through his bumps and bruises.

That's what we need for RG3. We know he has elite skills, the question is can he improve those other skills to become even more of a threat. And will fans ask for his head before he gets a chance to do so?

Other than the obvious Oh Thank God Jason Hatcher Looks OK After His Surgery thought, my next observation was holy **** look at Keenan Robinson!

I know it was only a preaseason game but he was in the right place, looked really fast, made some tackels behind the line of scrimmage and just overall looked fantastic! What a revelation.

True, but notice the 0/2 deep (both to Jackson), so was Gruden trying to establish chemistry with Griffin and Jackson, and/or try to get Baltimore to stop playing close to the line? One was PI&Int, the other was a bad timing. The other problem is that first and ten with short right 1/3 for one yard and short right 0/1 with an interception. This plays into the idea of Baltimore taking away the close routes and darign us to beat them deep.

It's a good question. There were 3 deep-ish shots to Jackson (one might be considered mid-range):

1. The first was the PI&Int, which came off of play action, and the throw was a beat late.

2. There was a pass to the outside that looked like some type of an out-route, which was under-thrown and late.  Difficult to see what was going on, but it actually looked like some type of an in and out that didn't fool anybody.  

3. The last was the deep shot down the right to Jackson, ball was late/underthrown.  Though, if Griffin throws the ball at the same time, just farther, I think DJax runs under it and walks in for the TD.  

It's notable that all three of these plays were off of some sort of PA.  Clearly there was an intent to get DJax involved, but what's interesting is that none of the passes were easy/short just to get in rhythm.  Everything was deep.

For the things short, (and you can combine that with the lack of ability in the run game), it certainly looked as though Baltimore was sitting on the short routes.

I also think in a real game, with a real game-plan, they might have done a few different things, like move the pocket, run a crossing route underneath a deep route, some more interesting stuff.  It really looked to me (and I have no way of really knowing this) but everything was just 1-1 matchups and go.  And Griffin didn't do a good job anticipating, the OL had a bad night, and, FWIW, B'more is a pretty good defense.

Other than the obvious Oh Thank God Jason Hatcher Looks OK After His Surgery thought, my next observation was holy **** look at Keenan Robinson!I know it was only a preaseason game but he was in the right place, looked really fast, made some tackels behind the line of scrimmage and just overall looked fantastic! What a revelation.

He really has, I've been impressed my his open field tackling, his stop to prevent that first down was amazing. Something we've been lacking in recent years.

He really has, I've been impressed my his open field tackling, his stop to prevent that first down was amazing. Something we've been lacking in recent years.

Robinson has been a really good surprise. If he can stay healthy and tackle well, that will be huge for the interior of the defense. 

Other than the obvious Oh Thank God Jason Hatcher Looks OK After His Surgery thought, my next observation was holy **** look at Keenan Robinson!

I know it was only a preaseason game but he was in the right place, looked really fast, made some tackels behind the line of scrimmage and just overall looked fantastic! What a revelation.

I loved seeing Hatch out there.  The DL might actually stand a chance this year, and provide some good push.  That will help Rak and Kerrigan as well.  Kerrigan said it very well after the game, unless the middle is clogged up, the QB is just going to step up and out of harms way from an outside rush.  Which is why the interior push is so important.  

When Baltimore had that epic defense in the early 2000's, Tony Seregusa was that guy.  He never got a ton of push, but he just moved his guy 3 feet forward and never provided a place for the QB to step up into.  Just by occupying (a LOT) of space.  that allowed the rest of the players on the defense to cause mayhem. 

Well, I think Cousins could be Andy Dalton.  

Which is good, but probably won't win you a SB.  (At least so far, that's been the pattern. Though, he's still young and developing.)

And Griffin can be Steve Young.  Who can win a SB and be an all-time talent.

That's the ceiling difference between the two.  

I guess what I was referencing is that Griffin isn't really high on Gruden's list of things to evaluate in the pre-season.  He's more interested in other things, and therefore didn't put Griffin in a really good spot to get comfortable.

Or, the opposite could be true: He could be staring at the ceiling awake wondering what the hell he's gotten himself into.

No way to know, I was just throwing out another possible view-point. 

Griffin has no shot at being Steve Young.  What planet are you on?  If anything, I would say more Michael Vick than anything.  Its pretty simple… Griffin is getting all this bad rap because HE’S NOT PLAYING WELL.  Play well and even show a GLIMPSE of getting better and then we all might say, he’s our guy.  But he’s been saying that since the beginning of last year over and over again and I think its getting old.  He has a new coach, new receivers, new line…  He has gotten everything he’s wanted and now he has to perform.  Its pretty simple. 

I watched an interview of him and he was asked “how do you think YOU played today?”.  He immediately led with WE need to play better and never once answered the reporters questions about his own play.  I firmly believe he’s in denial on how bad he really is right now and maybe a benching will wake him up a bit.  

Griffin has no shot at being Steve Young. What planet are you on? If anything, I would say more Michael Vick than anything. Its pretty simple… Griffin is getting all this bad rap because HE’S NOT PLAYING WELL. Play well and even show a GLIMPSE of getting better and then we all might say, he’s our guy. But he’s been saying that since the beginning of last year over and over again and I think its getting old. He has a new coach, new receivers, new line… He has gotten everything he’s wanted and now he has to perform. Its pretty simple.

I watched an interview of him and he was asked “how do you think YOU played today?”. He immediately led with WE need to play better and never once answered the reporters questions about his own play. I firmly believe he’s in denial on how bad he really is right now and maybe a benching will wake him up a bit.

He's got all the tools to be as good as young.

When young was shown the door in Tampa, nobody thought he would do what he did. But he had all the tools, and just needed time. Eventually he figured it out, and landed himself in the HOF.

You doubt Griffin based on a bad season coming off of a knee injury, and one bad half of preseason football.

I'm not saying Griffin will be as good as young.

But after seeing him his rookie year, the tools he has, there is no reason why he can't.

And as to the interview question, if it's the post game interview, he started by saying he needed to play better.

And if he came out and said he was playing like poop, that would be the national headline.

I think you are looking for things and finding them.

When young was shown the door in Tampa, nobody thought he would do what he did. But he had all the tools, and just needed time. Eventually he figured it out, and landed himself in the HOF.

Yes, he has all the tools to be as good as Young, but with that said, back then there was no FA and he was given time to sit behind the greatest QB of all time (Montana) and learn.  He carried a clip board for 4 years.  Not only that, but that team was stacked.  By the time he got his chance, it made things a lot easier for him...  Today's NFL, outside of someone like Aaron Rogers, since he sat behind Favre for a couple years, doesn't provide time for development.  QB's, more often than not, get thrown out there immediately and hope for the best...  What stunts QB's growth is when the team doesn't do well and fires their coach after a few seasons and the QB needs to start learning something new all over again...  (e.g. Jason Campbell and now Griff).   With all that said, Griff is extremely smart and comes from a great background..  I have no doubt he'll get over this hump..  I'm just hoping the franchise will give him enough time to learn/develop with the current staff before we have to rinse and repeat all over again in a few seasons [due to our losing ways]..

Griffin has no shot at being Steve Young.  What planet are you on?  If anything, I would say more Michael Vick than anything.  Its pretty simple… Griffin is getting all this bad rap because HE’S NOT PLAYING WELL.  Play well and even show a GLIMPSE of getting better and then we all might say, he’s our guy.  But he’s been saying that since the beginning of last year over and over again and I think its getting old.  He has a new coach, new receivers, new line…  He has gotten everything he’s wanted and now he has to perform.  Its pretty simple. 

I watched an interview of him and he was asked “how do you think YOU played today?”.  He immediately led with WE need to play better and never once answered the reporters questions about his own play.  I firmly believe he’s in denial on how bad he really is right now and maybe a benching will wake him up a bit.

He always says we. When they compliment him he says the same thing, we did good not I, but no one ever mentions that. Why is that?

He always says we. When they compliment him he says the same thing, we did good not I, but no one ever mentions that. Why is that?

Not to be Johnny Rule Reminder but you're not allowed to say things like this on this message board.  Just reminding you that anything suggesting that Robert is actually a team player first and not a self-involved ego maniac is prohibited.  I enjoy your posts here and I don't want to see you get yourself in trouble.   ;)

In addition, it is only acceptable to speak positively about Robert Griffin as long as you mention Kirk Cousins in the same post and remain equally positive (at a minimum but try to inflate Kirk's performance where possible).  

Example:  

Robert played well against the first team for the most part, but he struggled in the pocket on a couple of snaps or reads and will work to improve upon his last performance.  

Kirk Cousins shredded the opponent with pinpoint accuracy, stayed in the pocket, went through all of his progressions, and looks the part of a starting quarterback.  Cousin's near INT's were due to poor route running by his receivers and you must factor in the sudden shift in wind direction which caused Cousin's would-have-been perfectly thrown balls to float toward the defender.   

You're welcome in advance  :wub:

Not to be Johnny Rule Reminder but you're not allowed to say things like this on this message board.  Just reminding you that anything suggesting that Robert is actually a team player first and not a self-involved ego maniac is prohibited.  I enjoy your posts here and I don't want to see you get yourself in trouble.   ;)

Slow Clap.  

Stands.

Slow Clap.

Bravo. Bravo good sir.  

Because the reporter asked how he thought HE did today,  not the team.  You watch Peyton, Brady and all the other QB interviews and they have no issue answering that question.  They don’t have an issue with stating their missed opportunities or things they need to improve or even things they did right.  If you can’t even talk about your performance to someone its not a good sign and adds fuel to the fire for his critics. Good leaders use the word WE when they do something right, and I when something was done wrong.  I don’t think RG has a very good Relations Manager. 

You doubt Griffin based on a bad season coming off of a knee injury, and one bad half of preseason football.

I'm not saying Griffin will be as good as young.

But after seeing him his rookie year, the tools he has, there is no reason why he can't.

And as to the interview question, if it's the post game interview, he started by saying he needed to play better.

And if he came out and said he was playing like poop, that would be the national headline.

I think you are looking for things and finding them.

I highly doubt it.  He doesn’t have the ability to quickly read D’s.  Campbell had the same problem and I knew the first 6 games he started that he wasn’t going to make it as a starter for long and he’s been in the league for over 8 years now(guessing) and he still can’t read D’s.  If it was easy don’t you think Campbell would have learned it by now???  He looked great in practice but deer in headlights in games.  RG’s ability to read D’s is his weakness.  I love his ability to scramble to extend the play, love his arm strength, but those mean zero if you can’t get rid of the ball and do it making the correct decision.  People are fooling themselves if you think that is easy to learn, that takes years (if ever) and it helps if you start before you get to the pro’s.  I don’t blame Griffin, I blame college athletic depts and coaches.  

Goes to show that if you want your kid to go beyond college and he’s a QB, make sure he goes to a good school that preps him to be a pocket passer or at least acquire someone to teach them how while in college.  

I hope Griffin succeeds and I hope I’m eating crow this year and will be the first one to admit I’m wrong.  I’m not talking one game neither to anyone keeping count.

I highly doubt it. He doesn’t have the ability to quickly read D’s. Campbell had the same problem and I knew the first 6 games he started that he wasn’t going to make it as a starter for long and he’s been in the league for over 8 years now(guessing) and he still can’t read D’s. If it was easy don’t you think Campbell would have learned it by now??? He looked great in practice but deer in headlights in games. RG’s ability to read D’s is his weakness. I love his ability to scramble to extend the play, love his arm strength, but those mean zero if you can’t get rid of the ball and do it making the correct decision. People are fooling themselves if you think that is easy to learn, that takes years (if ever) and it helps if you start before you get to the pro’s. I don’t blame Griffin, I blame college athletic depts and coaches.

Goes to show that if you want your kid to go beyond college and he’s a QB, make sure he goes to a good school that preps him to be a pocket passer or at least acquire someone to teach them how while in college.

I hope Griffin succeeds and I hope I’m eating crow this year and will be the first one to admit I’m wrong. I’m not talking one game neither to anyone keeping count.

I would point out that was the exact knock on Young in TB.

Sometimes it takes guys longer to get it than others. Manning consistently stared down receivers and held the ball his rookie year. Threw 22 INTs. Brees was so inconsistent that the chargers drafted his replacement. Rodgers held the ball so long his first year starting he was one of the most sacked QBs.

I'm just saying it takes time. I am writing off his coaching under Shanahan. The mire I hear, the more it was "first read then run" coaching.

So I'm going to give the guy a lot of leeway to figure it put. KC can be Chad Pennington. Smart guy, average arm. Can have some success, and even lead then to the playoffs.

Griffin has the skills to be better. If he flames out, fine. But I want to give him every opportunity to succeed.

Just wanted to come in here and modify my position on that RG3 pic in this game. I'm willing to say it was a bad decision. I still don't know if Gruden had said more about checking down or something, and we do know that Reed was bumped on his route. But after looking at the analysis at

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/8/26/6069645/hazards-huddle-controlling-the-middle-of-the-field

and particularly this image:

photo__4__medium.PNG

This is the first shot I've seen of the Ravens defense behind Reed. My assumption was that there was another guy deep who picked up Reed. But seeing this, even if RG3 had gone to his checkdown, he should have seen the hole in the defense initially not being in position to cover both Morris and Reed and with the MLB going to Morris should have gone back to Reed.

Just wanted to come in here and modify my position on that RG3 pic in this game. I'm willing to say it was a bad decision. I still don't know if Gruden had said more about checking down or something, and we do know that Reed was bumped on his route. But after looking at the analysis at

Here's what I don't know: If Reed was the initial read, and Griffin left him, did he leave him too soon? And if not, was he supposed to come back to him.

I remember Bill Walsh and Joe Montana (this is going back a while) saying that in the WCO, once your feet take you to your next read, you basically have to forget anything that happened before that point, unless you have to come back to it as part of the progression.

I also remember that Walsh said that after you get to a certain point in the progression, you bail out of the pocket in a certain way, which is practiced, before you get back to the primary read. 

Now, clearly things have changed since Walsh said this, but he is the father of the WCO, so it's probably somewhat meaningful.

So, with that said, there are a number of possibilities:

1. Griffin got off of Reed too soon, the second receiver was covered, so he threw to Morris.  If he came off Reed too soon, then that's a negative.

2. Griffin correctly got off of Reed at the right point, went through the progressions, and ended up at Morris.  He didn't look back to Reed, because once you've left your primary receiver, he's dead to you unless you evade and get back to him.  That didn't happen.  In this case, Griffin gets a pass on the decision, and a negative on the throw, which needed to be further outside, given the closing LB to Morris' left. 

3.  Griffin was ok moving off of Reed, but should have also read Morris as covered, and evaded and tried to hit Reed.  ** I think this is what should have happened.  I don't think Morris was "open." Sure, there is some space between him and the LB, but you can see the LB closing, and I think he maybe should have read him as covered.  In that case, the correct thing to do would have been to bail out and then maybe he could have found Reed.

Regardless, it was either a bad decision, or a bad throw.  (Though, props to the defense, because it was a good defensive play as well).  But I think Griffin gets graded down for that play for something, but it's really tough to know WHAT.

Damn I missed where this play was discussed....

My 2 cents on the tipped interception to Morris.

I think the timing on this play is all messed up.

I think Griffin primary is Garcon split wide left on a hitch route.

Garcon is open and Griffin never looks that way.

Imho this is mistake 1 (-)

For whatever reason he begins his progession looking at Reed.

But the ILB is playing zone and like any good zone veteran ILB moves to cover Reed because Griffin is looking at him

Griffin sees Smith's movement and comes off Reed IMHO comes off Reed too soon

Griffin's eyes then go to Morris and like any good zone defender (**the sequence here is important and hard to know but it ultimately determines how this play is viewed; to my eye it seems D.Smith is reacting to Griffin eyes as opposed to Griffin reacting to D.Smith**)Smith follows Griffin's eyes to Morris.

Of course at this point Reed is open because ILB Smith has dropped coverage on Reed to cover Morris. But Griffin has already come off Reed and moved to Morris

IF Griffin was keying "reading" Smith then he should throw back to Reed

The result is Griffin tries to beat a zone defender who can see him and the receiver with the throw.

This imho cannot be stated strongly enough...beating a zone defender with a throw is gonna be high risk when that defender can see both the receiver and the QB eyes. (see Joe Haden Browns game)

For me this play is a negative -1.

Again I don't know where he was told to begin his progression but I believe Griffin was supposed to begin  with Garcon.

If Garcon on the hitch is covered (he was open on this play) but if Garcon was covered then Griffin moves to Reed then to Morris. 

Some redskins fans sicken me people are calling the post game show blasting Griffin. Give the guy a chance to play in a game that counts before you jump off of a damn bridge.

Sometimes I wish they'd just go ahead and jump.

I rewatched the Cleveland game and the Ravens games last night.  Honestly, he was fine during the Browns game. Some mistakes, but the rest of the offense made them also.

At the time, it seemed as if the Ravens game was the worst.  While he had a bad game, I'm not sure it was as bad as some think.  When I watched it live, it looked horrible.  Watching it again last night, it wasn't as bad.

That's why coaches watch the film the next day and we don't.

Sometimes I wish they'd just go ahead and jump.

I rewatched the Cleveland game and the Ravens games last night.  Honestly, he was fine during the Browns game. Some mistakes, but the rest of the offense made them also.

At the time, it seemed as if the Ravens game was the worst.  While he had a bad game, I'm not sure it was as bad as some think.  When I watched it live, it looked horrible.  Watching it again last night, it wasn't as bad.

That's why coaches watch the film the next day and we don't.

The time to make mistakes is in the pre-season.  

If Griffin comes out and plays well early in the season, the thumping that he took in the Ravens game, coupled with what the coaches were able to coach off of that, might be the reason why.

There are times you have to stink in practice before you can good.

Archived