Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season Game #1 Preview/Discussion

darrelgreenie

Tomorrow night will be the first glimpse into the new regime and the future of this franchise.

Many fans don't like pre-season and view it as meaningless for those people this thread won't be for you.

Then there are others that realize that while pre-season games don't count but they are meaningful. With a careful approach we can make evaluations from these games but we must be careful about our assessments and conclusions. 1st team vs 1st team is more meaningful then say 3rd team vs 3rd team which may be more meaningful then 2nd team vs 3rd team etc...Individual player/position 'win' vs 'loss' play by play is more meaningful then judging a unit. How a 1st team RB with a 1st team line plays against the opposing teams 2nd team DL/defense isn't as meaningful as same vs same. etc...etc..ad nausem.

With that out of the way moving on to a preview/questions on my mind heading into preseason game #1.

Who will start at Safety?

Clark is out and Phillip Thomas is out.

My guess would be Meriweather at FS and Akeem Davis at SS.

The other option would be Trenton Robinson or Rambo at FS and Meriweather at SS.

But I ain't gonna lie Rambo scares the bejesus out of me. It could get ugly quick if Rambo starts.

It will be interesting to see who goes in at FS with the 2nd and 3rd unit.

I would like to see Akeem Davis get some quality snaps/early snaps at FS though.

It would be nice to have another Safety on the roster that has some experience, decent speed and decent tackling.....hey didn't we cut a guy prior to training camp?....

Who will start at WR?

Garcon is out and my guess is that DeSean is out.

This is gonna be a great chance for the WRs to step out and shine.

I would start Roberts at the Z and Aldrick at the X.

It would be tempting/easy to put Tana in at the X but we already know about Tana.

I want to see Aldrick thrust into the limelight and show something/hopefully show out.

Either way there are gonna be tons of reps to go around with Garcon and DeSean out.

Ryan Grant is name that could add some substance to his training camp buzz.

I'm rooting for my guy Cody Hoffman because yes you guessed it, he's tall.

Rightside of the OL

Eyes will be firmly focused on Chester and Tyler vs Long and Moses/Compton.

My eyes are usually wrong when it comes to OL with this regime b/c I thought Compton looked as good as Tyler last year. The right side of the OL will be crucial I would like to see the starters distinguish themselves from the pack.

DL/DE

Who are the back-up DL and how do they look?

Do Baker and Jenkins look like starting quality players?

ILB

How does Keenan look?

How does my main men Will Compton and Adam Hayward look?

Where do they play Mike or Jack?

What are you guys looking at?

I know if I buy preseason live I can watch it on my ipad but can I also watch it on my pc so I can hook it to the big screen?

I'll definitely be watching the entire defense, rg3, and this grant dude people are crapping their pants over. The oline would really let me down if they sucked in a preseason game as well so I'll have them on my spotlight.

Also in the coaching department I'd like to see our problems last year be fixed. This includes good managing of time, the fg unit actually trying to block instead of just standing after the kick, and good play calling. I almost broke my tv controller when I watched Shanny screw those things up. I'll never forget him running a qb draw on third and long and rg3 dance on one leg in the playoffs.

It all starts with the big guys. I want to see how Lich does at center and whether Ribs has sorted himself out. I was gutted when he showed up out of shape last year and hope he does enough to make the team. Better people than me have said that the right side of the OL wasn't that bad last year, but I dunno. looked like a major weakness to me. I'm looking for someone to step up.

Like many here I really like Baker and want to see him make an impact.

How Keenan and Riley work together and who calls any adjustments is interesting.

Also eager to see how our running game evolves. I still think that Helu gets the 2nd RB job so who makes 3rd string? How are we going to use Young and the TEs.

It's time for us to put some special in our Special Teams.

It is only preseason and the results are meaningless (last year preseason 4-0, regular season 3-13) but I still want us to win the game and show some competence while doing it.

Echo everything you said DG.

I will also add I'd like to see Griffin get the ball out.  I want to see the timing there.  If the route isn't there, throw it away.  But I want to see that ball out on the back foot of the 3, 5, or 7 step route.  Third year in the league, this shouldn't be an issue and from what I've read, in camp it's been much improved.

The offensive line.  Want to see how they do.  The new and the old.  Would love to see Compton EARN a start in one of the next two games with a great performance tomorrow night.

Teams.  I want to see TACKLING on teams (and on defense).  But mainly I want to see an improved sense of urgency on teams. 

Other than that, first game?  Just no injuries and fundamentals.  I want tackling, crisp routes, clean blocking, and just good football.  We don't need to win and we don't need to score every time or hold them every time, but we need to make sure that we play sound fundamental football.  Because after that, the rest will take care of itself.

thought gruden said desean is probable, or questionable. did it get changed to out?

He doesn't need to risk injury on those 8-10 plays. 

My eyes are on our starting OL. Can they form a pocket? We know they will be able to zone run block but predict we will not see much of the Shanahan stretch going forward. I also want to see them man up and try and get a yard, old school. Up the middle, no deception.

With Garcon and Jackson ailing, I am excited to see our WR's.  I actually hope we feature the pass quite a bit, since we know what Morris and Helu can do lugging the ball.

I look for RG3 to be decisive and accurate, not easing up as he throws and lofting it. I want to see that arm strength on display throwing strikes. And that leg strength, one sprint or roll before calling it a night.

Defense I am not concerned about, but do want to see our LBs more than anyone else. Haslett will be in a vanilla defense for the most part. 

Love the pregame thread, so that every single piece of pregame news doesn't become it own thread.  For people that want to discuss any facet of the game, and not a single news event.

H/T DG

Desean and Garcon are out.  That sucks. The main ones I didn't want to see get hurt.

Bear in mind that it doesn't take much, for a starter to sit out a preseason game. 

Although I wouldn't have minded a bit, getting to see them, and RG3, get a series against the Pats. 

I know if I buy preseason live I can watch it on my ipad but can I also watch it on my pc so I can hook it to the big screen?

I think it says that you can. but I tried it last year, and the quality stank. Frequent lockups. Like a minute and a half of delay. And terrible picture quality. Like, reading jersey numbers was tough.

I'm not paying $20 for that, again, this year.

----------

On that topic, though: Anybody know if the radio can be streamed? I'm not seeing an option to buy it, on nfl.com.

Edit: Just realized it's tomorrow night. :)

I think it says that you can. but I tried it last year, and the quality stank. Frequent lockups. Like a minute and a half of delay. And terrible picture quality. Like, reading jersey numbers was tough.

----------

Edit: Just realized it's tomorrow night. :)

I used a Mac to hdmi cable and watched the games on my big screen for the past few years. There were times when the quality was bad but I have to see the games live.

----------

I just put the siriusxm app on my ipad and I might just listen to it. My friend and I might split the sunday ticket after preseason.

I will also add I'd like to see Griffin get the ball out.  I want to see the timing there.  If the route isn't there, throw it away.  But I want to see that ball out on the back foot of the 3, 5, or 7 step route.  Third year in the league, this shouldn't be an issue and from what I've read, in camp it's been much improved.

The offensive line.  Want to see how they do.  The new and the old.  Would love to see Compton EARN a start in one of the next two games with a great performance tomorrow night.

Teams.  I want to see TACKLING on teams (and on defense).  But mainly I want to see an improved sense of urgency on teams. 

He doesn't need to risk injury on those 8-10 plays. 

Yeah, I completely forgot to mention the QB.

I  don't want to see Griffin scrambling at all. I'm with I want to see Griff get to the top of the drop and get the ball out with rhythm and timing. I don't really even care if the receiver 'wins' cleanly. I just want Griffin to get in the habit of being in rhythm. Make a pre-snap read, hit the top of the drop and either make the throw or hitch/reset to the next progression.

I might keep a personal grade log for the RG and RT

I can't wait to get the first look at the 2014 Skins

I might keep a personal grade log for the RG and RT

I can't wait to get the first look at the 2014 Skins

I'll do the same thing.  I took Friday off, so my grades may get more "liberal" as the night goes on. 

That's a good idea.  Haven't had the notebook out in a couple of years.

I am psyched.

While I wish Thomas was  loading up the box and DJax was stretching Ds, we get to see RG3 and the guys going to battle.

I do hope that Haslett blitzes Brady on that first drive. Toss a bone to the guys that have been having to pull up for 3 days. And of course payback for that 51-7 shelling where they had to go for it late on 4th down.

Honorable mentions of who I want to see, Seastrunk Breeland and Thompson (not run up the gut)

I do predict Redd impresses like a seasoned preseason back.

My prediction is that with increased PT tomorrow, Akeem Davis will cause two turnovers and be a stand out tomorrow night (in a good way).

Akeem Davis really intrigues me.  I'm actually GLAD Thomas is out tomorrow-I want to see this kid play.  4.37 pro day forty AND winner of the Redskins "Strongman" contest this year are great things.  I like what Raheem Morris said even better:  "Akeem is a coach,” Morris said. “We go into the meeting room and he’s going to rattle that thing off faster than me. There are times when I ask Akeem what the playbook says on certain calls. I’ll say, ‘What’s the term we use in the playbook?’ He’ll say, ‘Backer, coach. Backer.’ ‘Oh,  that’s right.’ He knows that playbook like no other.”  I hope he shows out , and don't care if it's just Special Teams.  He has the physical & apparently the mental parts going for him.  Going to watch all, but really interested in this kid for whatever reason.  Can't wait!!!  HTTR 

I want to see the starters play there 2 or 3 series without anybody getting hurt. When the back ups come in I hope that Cousins looks great and plays great in all the pre-season games to hopefully up his trade value after the season.

I'm rooting for Niles Paul to look better this year and keep his hands on the ball when it is thown to him because I'm worried up back up TE and hope he steps up this year and is more than a special teamer. 

I'm hoping all these OL they have drafted over the past few years start to show something.

I hope Murphy gets a lot of pressure on the quarterback against the Patriots reserve linemen

I hope to see improved tackling by the entire defense 

1st off.. no injuries.. don't really care the result..  with that said, hopefully our starting O won't have to go the whole 1st qtr...  but with our top 2 wideouts not playing, who knows what we'll see...  a few nice runs from Alfred, some good looks from Thompson/Seastrunk, Reed doing his thing and RG14 doing his...  OL, OL, OL..   LeRib, and our Rooks hopefully show up...   that will be good from the O if things go well.  As for D... again, with Clark out, I'm thinking we'll see Rambo start at FS...  doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have Merriweather fill in in a role he sucked at last year...   and without Hatcher, let's see if there's any push from the line when needing it...  OLB improvements.... ILB speed..... Good run D will be good to see as well and TACKLE!...  Then finally, MUCH improved ST....  punting should be interesting to see as will the competition between Hocker and Forbath...  Not asking too much I don't think... haha

Archived