Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season Game #1 Preview/Discussion

darrelgreenie

I'll be keeping an eye on Griffin's mechanics, pocket awareness, and accuracy, and how quickly he gets the ball out. Next will probably be the d-line and how much pressure they get on Brady in a game situation where they are allowed to hit him.

I read somewhere that Brady will not be playing tonight.

EDIT - Here's an article from Sporting News:

Tom Brady won’t start for the New England Patriots tonight against the Redskins, but don’t be alarmed.

He’s healthy and prepared, but the Patriots are more interested in seeing Ryan Mallett get real work in the Week 1 preseason game. The Boston Herald first reported that Brady would not start.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-08-07/tom-brady-patriots-not-starting-redskins-preseason-game-ryan-mallett

Quick question: ho exactly is the league going to react to Griffin's new shoe design? (the bright white vs all black from previous two years)

Can't they fine him for that since we don't wear white cleats anymore?

I read somewhere that Brady will not be playing tonight.

yeah I posted that before the news hit the wire

yeah I posted that before the news hit the wire

I wasn't surprised that NE made that decision. I'm sure they're confident that he will be prepared come week one of the regular season whether or not he plays down 1 in preseason. =P

Many fans don't like pre-season and view it as meaningless for those people this thread won't be for you.

Then there are others that realize that while pre-season games don't count but they are meaningful.

Preseason games are OK because it's better than waiting another month for Redskin football, even though the games don't count. It's the wins or losses that are meaningless. Last year we went 4-0 and had probably the worst record in Redskins history. In '91 we went 0-4 and had probably the best ever season. Look good, keep injuries to a minimum (and hopefully none at all), but don't knock yourself out or take any unnecessary risks for a meaningless win.

I wasn't surprised that NE made that decision. I'm sure they're confident that he will be prepared come week one of the regular season whether or not he plays down 1 in preseason. =P

Yeah, when you're Tom Brady, you really don't have to play in anything but the dress rehearsal, just to get timing down with his receivers.

And Mallet is good enough to play on a handful of teams in this league, so the D will still be tested

Bear in mind that it doesn't take much, for a starter to sit out a preseason game. 

Although I wouldn't have minded a bit, getting to see them, and RG3, get a series against the Pats. 

I think it says that you can. but I tried it last year, and the quality stank. Frequent lockups. Like a minute and a half of delay. And terrible picture quality. Like, reading jersey numbers was tough.

I'm not paying $20 for that, again, this year.

----------

On that topic, though: Anybody know if the radio can be streamed? I'm not seeing an option to buy it, on nfl.com.

Edit: Just realized it's tomorrow night. :)

You can stream it from the tune in radio app on ios or droid device.

I'll be keeping a fixed eye on the secondary to see how they mesh. I wanna see how the line looks. I'm hoping to get a chance to see Seastrunk with the ball in the open. And also, honestly I'm hoping to see our boys get out there and just have some fun and play some ball. I know it sounds goofy and kinda lame but I can't help it. After a year like last year where it was obvious that changes were imminent and everything was just flat out bad, I'm excited to see these guys turning over a new leaf. Chemistry is important. That's what so many of the reports we see on a daily basis keep saying. The interviews are full of optimism about this year and the changes that were made and that these guys just seem happy to be playing together. It'll definitely show in their performance tonight.

I guess Mallett will get a fair share of snaps. Entire first half, maybe? I think everyone who follows the NFL has been intrigued by this guy because of his arm talent. Should be cool to watch.

You know how teams normally don't gameplan for the 1st preseason game?

Yeah..I wouldn't put it past Bellichick to gameplan our defense to make Mallett look good and get the trade fires burning.

You know how teams normally don't gameplan for the 1st preseason game?

Yeah..I wouldn't put it past Bellichick to gameplan our defense to make Mallett look good and get the trade fires burning.

Out of likes but would like to add that this coincides nicely with some comments Tom Curran just made to PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/07/curran-patriots-would-like-to-trade-ryan-mallett/

And, in any event, I don't think too much game-planning really needs to take place for Mallett to look like a world-beater against our twos in the secondary.

I'm giddy.

I can't wait for this game to see some Burgundy and Gold football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Rob is gonna be sharp, real sharp. If he isn't its not a big deal but I think the kid is gonna be sharp.

Garcon and DeSean won't be playing but the WRs gotta step up and get open quickly and give Griff some targets.

I just found out that directv is having a free trial for the universal sports network. I live in Pennsylvania and will get the game on channel 642. That's if anyone is interested.

Damn, it says the game is blacked out because it's out of area.  I'm in NC.

Looks like the nfl.com streaming audio is working. 

(It says that the audio starts about a half hour before kickoff, so I can't listen to the Skins, yet.  Buy I'm getting the Jets radio, right now.) 

Don't know if it's just free for everybody, (I don't see a place to pay for it, on their site, even if I wanted to), or if it's just working for me because I paid for their GamePass, last season. 

And I observe that zskins chat room is still set up.  (But nobody in it, yet.) 

Archived