Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I had no expectations of MD winning this game. Kansas is so good. That was the best defense I've seen a team play against MD all year. They were all over MD all game. Then on offense, whenever they needed a basket, they got it. It reminded me of the really good MD teams under Gary Williams. When they needed a basket, they went inside. This MD team has no such plan. They just jack up more jump shots, then occassionally hope that they can post up on a clear out. It will be interesting to see what the team looks like next year.

Question now is does Trimble and Stone leave? My gut says they both do. Gonna be the Carter show next year along with Nickens, Wiley, Brantley, Cekovsky, and Dodd. Hopefully the freshmen come ready to play. Can't wait to see Kevin Huerter shoot the ball.

Only possibility is Trimble wants to return and up his draft stock to get that top 10 draft pick money. He's a late round first rounder at this point, maybe even early second. Stone needs to improve his defense and moving without the ball, but he's a top 10 pick right now. He's gone imo.

Edited by abdcskins

Missed too many shots, plain and simple. Sounds silly, but Carter missed that dunk in the first half - after that I sort of felt the tide swing.

Kansas is damn good, credit to them. I see them winning it all.

Frankly, I think it was the elbow to the jaw. Shortly after the shot, Trimble got to the free throw and missed. He doesn't do that. The team took a punch and folded. I think more fairly, they came out in the second half with no answer to what Kansas was doing while Kansas' coach adjusted for what Maryland did well in the half.

First half was even with Maryland leading much of the time. Second half was all Kansas. 

I think Melo shouldn't hire an agent before draft camp if he's not 100% told he'll be taken before 25. I'd think hard about it. This isn't a Terrance Morris situation where he's falling from a lotto spot. There has been a toughness missing all season. Even when they were bigger than the other team or faster than the other team. When they get to playing somebody who is about the same or better. They couldn't put it together for an entire game.

I think more fairly, they came out in the second half with no answer to what Kansas was doing while Kansas' coach adjusted for what Maryland did well in the half.

First half was even with Maryland leading much of the time. Second half was all Kansas.

Yeah, for me this is when I knew they were going to lose. Kansas was a much better team in the 2nd half. They came out firing on all cylinders. Even thought Maryland fought back to tie it at 43, Kansas was still rolling and Maryland went into the usual funk. Kansas really kept MD from getting the shots they wanted in the 2nd half. And as has been the case, they missed even some of the few good shots they got.

Question now is does Trimble and Stone leave? My gut says they both do. Gonna be the Carter show next year along with Nickens, Wiley, Brantley, Cekovsky, and Dodd. Hopefully the freshmen come ready to play. Can't wait to see Kevin Huerter shoot the ball.

Only possibility is Trimble wants to return and up his draft stock to get that top 10 draft pick money. He's a late round first rounder at this point, maybe even early second. Stone needs to improve his defense and moving without the ball, but he's a top 10 pick right now. He's gone imo.

this is a weak draft for guards. Melo is leaving.

And I see no way he gets into the lottery over next two seasons. He not that type of talent.

Dont care what anyone says, this was a disappointing season. Expectations were not met.

After thinking it over, I've determined that this team simply wasn't as good as it looked on paper.  Our two big guys, Carter and Stone, lack toughness.  Stone has periods where he looks like he is loafing under the basket.  He doesn't box out and he doesn't go hard for rebounds.  Not every time, but sometimes.  If Stone truly wants to get better and be a force at the next level, he'll return for one more year. 

We didn't have a consistent outside shooter.  Look at the tournament, we must have shot like 15% from beyond the arc.  And depth, we had zero depth.  That hurt big time.

The issue with toughness is that you can't just become tough in March. It's something Turg needs to work on in the summer and fall with his guys. Nobody is saying to go all Bobby Knight on these kids. But we all have examples of players getting out-toughed by smaller or slower or less talented players this year. We saw it on the boards all the time.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 1