Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Walt-Bell-Wants-to-Take-Big-Ten-by-Storm-with-Up-tempo-Offense-44589941

Walt Bell Wants to Take Big Ten by Storm with Up-tempo Offense

When Maryland football coach D.J. Durkin began to look for an offensive coordinator last December, he didn’t have any specific names in mind, but he knew he wanted a fresh scheme from someone who ran an offense that would’ve given him headaches a season ago as Michigan’s defensive coordinator.

He didn’t want to run a similar offense to the watered down read-option attack the Terps had run under Mike Locksley, which the Wolverines shut down in a 28-0 Maryland defeat last October a week before Randy Edsall was fired. That offense was too predictable, too easy to gameplan against. It wasn’t unlike other teams in the Big Ten. And when you’re in the same division as Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State, it makes sense to stray from the norm.

So even though athletic director Kevin Anderson hired Durkin instead of a young, offensive-minded head coach as he'd originally planned, the coach and A.D. shared the same innovative vision for Maryland's offense.

After a rigorous vetting process, Maryland ended up getting what it hopes will prove to be the best of both worlds by hiring 31-year old offensive coordinator Walt Bell, an up-and-coming playcaller from Arkansas State. There’s a lot of flexibility within Bell’s approach, but one thing’s certain: his offenses play fast.

Really fast. -- perhaps faster than any Big Ten team ever. An offense that, if he were still at Michigan, would have worried Durkin. An unknown. A pace so brisk, he would have had to prepare his players for the speed of the game in addition to the actual Xs and Os.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
Stone's Dad Denies Report He's Decided to Declare for NBA Draft

Despite a Cleveland.com report stating Maryland freshman Diamond Stone has decided to declare for the NBA Draft, Stone's father told IMS no decision has been made.

"I don't know anybody in Cleveland," Bob Stone said. "I don't know what they're talking about."

Projected to be a first-round pick, the 6-foot-11 Stone has been projected by most as a one-and-done college player after averaging 12.5 points and 5.4 rebounds -- both second on the team -- during Maryland's Sweet 16 season. But his father has remained adamant that no final decision has been made on whether he'll make the jump.

"There's a lot of people out there who like to talk, but we haven't told anybody anything. We're still evaluating," the elder Stone said.

https://n.rivals.com/news/quarterback-dominoes-what-s-next-for-uncommitted-in-2017

Quarterback dominoes: What's next for uncommitted in 2017

Kasim Hill
Pro-style quarterback
4 STARS
St. John's College High 
Washington, District of Columbia
RR: 5.8
Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 220 lbs
Class: 2017

Commitment status:
UNDECIDED

Recruiting wrap: Hill’s recruitment is starting to take shape and Maryland has emerged as the team to beat for sure. The four-star has been to College Park a bunch of times including a recent trip where he and his father watched a scrimmage and sat in on quarterback meetings. Hill has visited a bunch of other Big Ten teams but the Terrapins are making him a major priority in this recruiting class and look to be the frontrunner.

Prediction: Maryland

Inside the Shell Retweeted Cam Spence

One of MD's most pivotal recruits. Impact player from day 1. A commitment from him would be HUGE for #TheMovement 1f422.png

Cam Spence's announcement could be huge for MD, from both a on the field production standpoint & recruiting. Very well respected player 1f422.png

I anticipate Spence to select MD tomorrow. 4 visits in the past few weeks, the desire to come back home, & comments from other IMG recruits.

Kasim Hill announcing at 2 on Saturday and now Ayinde Eley as well, same time. I'm thinking both announcing they're staying home at UMD.

Looking like it could be a big few days for the #Terps. 4-star Cam Spence on Fri. #Rivals250 QB Kasim Hil & big time LB Ayinde Eley on Sat.

•  

ESPNJr300 DT Cam Spence commits Friday QB Kasim Hill and LB Alinde Eley commit Saturday

All from the DC/Maryland area

Tomorrow & Saturday could be huge for establishing MD football under the Durkin era. This will be his 1st true class & could start on fire 1f422.png

Losing Carter is a hit because Stone is most probably gone also. Not sure why Carter is going, as I don't think he gets drafted until the second half of the 2nd round, if at all. Another season may have helped him move up.

Only bigs for next year are Dodd and Cekovsky. Yikes, not a lot of offense there. Turgeon needs to find a big with one of those open scholarships.

• Like 1

A little puzzled by Carter's departure.  He has the skill to be an NBA talent for sure, but one more season at MD as the focal point of the offense could've made him top 20 pick material. 

Not surprised by Stone.  Praying Trimble comes back or else this may not even be a tournament team.

Yeah, Carter leaving seems to be a mistake. He may not even get drafted. I guess that could change once he declares officially. But right now, he doesn't seem to be highly thought of on most draft sites.

Edited by Redskin4ever

Yeah, Carter leaving seems to be a mistake. He may not even get drafted. I guess that could change once he declares officially. But right now, he doesn't seem to be highly thought of on most draft sites.

According to Carter's mentor he's aware he probably won't get drafted.

Robert will be graduating and after 4 years, is ready to start getting paid for his services....even if that means Europe.

As long as he's thought things through you can't be mad.

• Like 1

Well, if he and his family need the money I guess that's fine.  It's just that if he were patient he could make so much more money in the long run.  I'm not an expert on contract stipulations, but I'm guessing first round picks get more than second round picks, that's always been the case.

Shame, he has so much talent.  This year's team was tough because it was hard to get shots with all 5 starters demanding the ball.  I really think that Trimble and Carter should return.  Stone I can understand since he has the body already, just needs to refine his foot work and learn to fight more for rebounds.  With him it's an effort thing. 

According to Carter's mentor he's aware he probably won't get drafted.

Robert will be graduating and after 4 years, is ready to start getting paid for his services....even if that means Europe.

As long as he's thought things through you can't be mad.

Everyone wants to get paid.  One more year might allow him to get paid for a longer period.  These guys get bad advice.

Sironara.  I expected next year to be a wash.

• Like 1