Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't like that Turgeon has shortened the bench at the end of the season. Part of what makes them good is their depth.

I agree. This concerned me midseason in relation to Brantley, who is the next best ball handler on the team next to Melo, but couldn't get on the court. I also thought Bender should be getting at least 5-10 a game to get him some seasoning.

Now, you've got Cekovsky, a kid who can give you solid minutes, and has on occasion, playing the same amount of minutes as Auslander the past 6 games.

One of my big complaints about Turgeon, the coach. He doesn't seem to develop his kids...get them to a higher level. Jake is the same player he was 3 years ago, just has more talent around him. Melo seems to have regressed this year.

Edited by Long n Left

One of my big complaints about Turgeon, the coach. He doesn't seem to develop his kids...get them to a higher level. Jake is the same player he was 3 years ago, just has more talent around him. 

I simply do not understand the Jake hate here.  He is way better than 2 years ago.  50%+ from the field, 40%+ from behind the arc, 80%+ FT.

In fact, I think he might have played himself into a late 1st round pick.

• Like 1

4 days to prep for Kansas is a helluva lot better than 40 hours. It is going to take a Herculean effort to beat them, but position for position we just might be the best team in the field to have a shot. Of course, I have Kansas as my natty in my bracket, so beating them destroys my chances.

But it would be so worth it.

I simply do not understand the Jake hate here. He is way better than 2 years ago. 50%+ from the field, 40%+ from behind the arc, 80%+ FT.

In fact, I think he might have played himself into a late 1st round pick.

Absolutely disagree here, and I certainly do not hate Jake. My umbrage is with Turgeon.

Jake's stats are almost a carbon copy for his three starting years. His percentages have gone up incrementally, but that should be expected of any maturing player, especially one that had much better talent around him each successive year. Better talent means you're gonna get better looks. All his other stats are incredibly close each year.

That said, I don't think it's his developmental "fault" as much as I think Turgeon isn't getting him in positions to do what he does best. Layman, at his best IMO, is a slasher, who can knock down the 3 when he gets a good look. I see him settling for the 3 too much, when I think a more active movement offense could get him a lot more easy shots. That, and they rarely push the ball, and finishing in the open court I would count as one of Jake's primary strengths.

Personally, I think Layman may end up being a better pro than college player because of his ability in the open floor, and because his defensive and rebounding woes won't be as critical.

Edited by Long n Left

Of course the game on Thursday is at 9:40. Great!

Yeah, just saw that.  Guess that late nap after work is now on.

Nice to see that once Terps got ahead by 10+ in second half, they didn't let Hawaii back inside 10 for rest of game.

They can't possibly shoot as badly from 3 point range again.

As much as Kansas looks tough, I guarantee that they are NOT happy to see the Terps on the schedule.

Hope I wake up Friday morning, hoarse as anything at work, but happy w/Terps onto Great-8!!

Well I heard Duke starts at 10:55, so consider us lucky to start at 9:40.

That means first bad call in Duke's favor occurs around 10:56  :P

Absolutely disagree here, and I certainly do not hate Jake. My umbrage is with Turgeon.

Jake's stats are almost a carbon copy for his three starting years. His percentages have gone up incrementally, but that should be expected of any maturing player, especially one that had much better talent around him each successive year. Better talent means you're gonna get better looks. All his other stats are incredibly close each year.

That said, I don't think it's his developmental "fault" as much as I think Turgeon isn't getting him in positions to do what he does best. Layman, at his best IMO, is a slasher, who can knock down the 3 when he gets a good look. I see him settling for the 3 too much, when I think a more active movement offense could get him a lot more easy shots. That, and they rarely push the ball, and finishing in the open court I would count as one of Jake's primary strengths.

Personally, I think Layman may end up being a better pro than college player because of his ability in the open floor, and because his defensive and rebounding woes won't be as critical.

His stats are close while shooting less.  The Terps also have scorers at all 5 positions unlike years past.  This is hardly anyone's fault.

i have a feeling this is true of Melo, Carter, and Stone.

Terp girls picked a bad night to play one of their worst games of the season. Jones just couldn't get anything going tonight. Didn't get any help from from some very inconsistent referees either.

Hopefully, next year will be the start of something special.

was at the game last night

it was brutal. they could not shoot and Brionna Jones looked intimidated.

They had no answer for the zone.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Dwayne Morgan Leaves UNLV, Expected to be Interested in Maryland

As reported by IMS in February, UNLV sophomore Dwayne Morgan is transferring. A source close to Morgan, a former prized recruit at Baltimore's St. Frances Academy, told IMS he's looking to move somewhere within driving distance from Baltimore because of his mother's health issues, and he's expected to consider Maryland.

Ranked the No 5 small forward and 23rd-best player overall in the Class of 2014 per the 247Sports Composite, Morgan just completed the second of two surprisingly quiet years at UNLV. Despite his prototypical size (6-foot-8, 208 pounds) and athleticism, he averaged 5.5 points and 4.7 rebounds as a sophomore, shooting 42.5 percent from the floor in 19 minutes per game. Still, Morgan's sure to be a hot commodity on the transfer market because of the upside that earned him offers from Maryland, Arizona, Indiana, Connecticut and numerous others as a high schooler.

It remains to be seen how much interest Maryland will show in Morgan; the Terps have already grabbed a commitment from Huntington Prep (W.Va.) small forward Micah Thomas and never appeared to lead for Morgan's commitment the first time around.

“They’re just saying that I’m a hometown kid and so they’d love for me to go to Maryland ... I’m a hometown kid, so the stage is set for me, but they’re not going to promise me anything. I have to earn it,” Morgan told IMS after a visit to Maryland in 2013..

Maryland has scholarship remaining open for next season, but will likely after more after its underclassmen make their NBA decisions.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH