Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Melo might not even go in the first round.  How far is star has fallen.

I know the NBA drafts on potential but Diamond Stone is soft as butter.  I know he will be a first rounder but I wouldn't expect much out of his career.  He has a lot to learn and needs a little tough love.

• Like 2

I think Stone will be fine. He's still just a kid. Couple years of nutrition and weight training, and I think he'll have a decent career. He's got a polished offensive game already.

Other than that, I think Layman has the best chance to have a good career. His size/length, and his athleticism could excel at the next level...especially if he becomes a decent 3-point threat.

I think Carter is a classic tweener. He may hang around a few years, but he will be bench fodder, imo.

Melo just doesn't have any "stand out" traits. He's not tall, doesn't shoot from range particularly well, isn't super quick, and isn't strong enough going to the basket. Does not bode well for his NBA future, imo.

If I'm an NBA GM, I would take Jackson, Ulis, Barber, Paige, or Payton Jr. before Melo. Don't see any way he goes in the first round. He may come back for one more year if he doesn't get drafted first round, so there is a bit of hope. He and Cowan in the backcourt would be fun to watch.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

Don't need to go any deeper than that. Layman does not have an nba game.

not that I disagree. But folks said the same thing about Steve Blake and he's been in the league for like 12-13 years.

We'll see what happens. He'll be a bench guy here to go play in Europe.

Melo would luck out and go to a team like the Spurs late in the 1st. If he's not confident he'll go in the 1st, then no harm coming back. Same deal, there is always Europe now or after another year.

not that I disagree. But folks said the same thing about Steve Blake and he's been in the league for like 12-13 years.

Blake is a better shooter, better worker, better leader, better athlete actually. 

Blake was never going to be a superstar in the NBA, we all knew that...but he always had the chance to have a Derrick Fisher type of career. 

The Spurs are a perfect landing spot for Layman.

Duncan can't play forever. I feel like this might be his last year. When he goes, Pop probably is not far after. 

Good point on Blake. I was a naysayer lol

I do think Blake plays a position that's a bit easier to transition into, at a time when there aren't a lot of his type in the league.

The Spurs aren't rebuilding. They are rebuilt. Aldridge and Leonard are in place. They have other role players. Pop could retire. He could stick around. 

My point is that he could fall to the bottom of the first and get lucky by going to a team that is already stable. Then again. I think Philly has a bunch of picks in the 1st this year. So,.....yeah.

Blake make it so long because he passes 1st and guys like Kobe loved that. Let them be ball hogs. He was happy to win. I think he would end up an assistant coach under Gary within 3 years of leaving Maryland. 

I think Layman has been kind of soft. He had all last offseason to put on some muscle and then use it....and didn't. could he still develop? Sure. I wouldn't bet on it. But like I said above. I didn't bet on Blake.

I think Layman will be the least successful at the NBA level (Compared to Melo and Stone).

I think Layman will be the most successful. His size and skillset makes him flexible for 2 positions, perhaps 3.  Good ballhandler.  

I worry about Stone.  He could be Kwame Brown.  Perennial 6-10 points a game.

I cannot begin to guess where Melo will be in 5 years.  His shooting simply isn't good enough right now for NBA sustainability.  I assume it will get better, but it might not.  Next year, Anthony Cowan will make everyone realize how poor a shooter Melo is/was.

I think Layman will be the most successful. His size and skillset makes him flexible for 2 positions, perhaps 3.  Good ballhandler.  

I worry about Stone.  He could be Kwame Brown.  Perennial 6-10 points a game.

I cannot begin to guess where Melo will be in 5 years.  His shooting simply isn't good enough right now for NBA sustainability.  I assume it will get better, but it might not.  Next year, Anthony Cowan will make everyone realize how poor a shooter Melo is/was.

Other than this season, Melo has been a much better shooter than Cowan.

Now where Cowan has the edge is in the ability to run a team.

Cowan's a pure PG.

Other than this season, Melo has been a much better shooter than Cowan.

Now where Cowan has the edge is in the ability to run a team.

Cowan's a pure PG.

Cowan dropped 40 twice and averaged 20 a game so he can be a scorer.  He can drive and shoot the 3 if it is given. He is what we thought Melo was last year.  

Jesse Aniebonam calls Walt Bell’s offense “electrifying” and says it has been an adjustment for defense to face.

Cowan dropped 40 twice and averaged 20 a game so he can be a scorer.  He can drive and shoot the 3 if it is given. He is what we thought Melo was last year.  

Up until this year you wouldn't have said that about Cowan. That's what I'm saying.

Personally, I think a healthy Melo is still a better shooter/scorer.

Melo is not a poor shooter.  He isn't great either. 

I think Layman will do well in the NBA.  Not superstar status, but he will contribute on a nightly basis.  His shot is solid and he has the body to go down low.  He'll be in between a Boris Diaw and Jeremy Lamb. 

• Like 1

Everyone wants to get paid.  One more year might allow him to get paid for a longer period.  These guys get bad advice.

Sironara.  I expected next year to be a wash.

how is getting a salary bad advice?

He can also have a great career in Europe too.

and I do not think another year in college was gonna help an undersized power forward with shaky perimeter skills, and not a lot of bounce get drafted higher.

• Like 1