Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most irrelevant team in the NFL?

I'd like to know how they go about setting up the schedule. ..but that's ok because I'd be really disappointed if we always lose to them kinda like with the Rams

That was what I was kind of surprised by, looking through all the teams the Skins have played.  It looks like, unless you're playing a specific AFC division, NFC teams don't play AFC teams.  

I wouldn't have thought that, until I saw that we'd played every AFC team 3 times since 2002.  Just kind of weird.  I would have thought that the conferences mixed it up more than that, but I guess not.

Jags.

Cleveland at least plays the Ravens and Steelers twice a year so I pay attention to rivalry games.

Raiders at least play Denver and the Chiefs twice a year, again, rivalry games.

Jags play Houston (who also is low on my list), Titans (another team low on my list), and Indy who I really do not care either way about.  

They have no fantasy value players so I do not follow them in that sense either.

I remember in 2010 when we played the Jags in their home stadium. They had to beat us to get a chance in the playoffs, but you wouldn't have known that because their stadium was barely half full. Could you imagine many other teams having an empty stadium when they're within reach of the playoffs?

I'd like to know how they go about setting up the schedule. ..but that's ok because I'd be really disappointed if we always lose to them kinda like with the Rams

That was what I was kind of surprised by, looking through all the teams the Skins have played.  It looks like, unless you're playing a specific AFC division, NFC teams don't play AFC teams.  

I wouldn't have thought that, until I saw that we'd played every AFC team 3 times since 2002.  Just kind of weird.  I would have thought that the conferences mixed it up more than that, but I guess not.

Here is how they have set it up through 2019: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_nfce.htm

Here is how they have set it up through 2019: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_nfce.htm

That's crazy, so we know who all of our opponents will be, except 2 of them, 5 years out.  There goes that whole BS about your schedule being based on your record.  If you've got a terrible record that only changes 2 teams each year, and they have to be from the 2 divisions in the NFC you're not playing.  Crazy.

So, if we're playing the NFC West and the AFC South next year, plus our own 6 divisional games, then our other 2 opponents come from either the NFC North or South, which are Bucs (South), and the Vikings (North).  

Shocker with those two.  That will make it 10 times since 2002 that the Skins have played the Bucs and 8 times vs the Vikings.

Seems like we should really have a deeper rivalry with those two teams, considering we play them almost once a year.

To me it's the Raiders.  I don't see anything there that would lead me to believe they're going to make a jump anytime soon.  McKenize inherited a bad cap situation and not a lot of draft picks due to bad moves Al Davis made, but he hasn't really done anything now that those situations have been cleared up.  What good homegrown talent they've had he's let walk out the door.  And their HC seems over his head.   

I can see the Jags being relevant again soon.  I think Gus Bradley's the real deal and will have them competing for the AFC South divison by his 3rd year.

The Browns and Bills have some good young talent in place.  To me those teams are a stable QB away from competing for the playoffs. 

Maybe it is because I'm old but the I really can't think of any NFL team that's irrelevant to me.  I do sometimes look at the NFC-west and wonder who the hell Arizona is or the St. Louis Cardinals are still cellar dwellers, even in years they do pretty good.  Even still catch myself thinking about the Baltimore Colts and their great QB, Andrew Luck.  Still wonder sometimes who the hell are these Ravens anyway.

Since the NFL went to the two conferences with 4 divisions.  The six division games, 4 against a division in the NFC rotates annually, 4 against a division in the AFC rotates annually, 2 loser games one each against the other NFC divisions.

I'd have to say the jags too. Buccs, raiders, and browns all tie for a close second. The reason the jags are first was because it seems like they are really bad but don't do much of anything to fix it. Buccs, raiders, and browns at least try.

Though Alex Mack says he's impressed with the jags. I read someone said "how are you ever impressed with the jags?" They respond "come from the browns"

Titans are the team I always forget about

Tells you a bit about how irrelevant to me they are.  It still takes me a second to remember that the Colts are no longer in Baltimore, the Cardinals are no longer in St Louis and the Rams are no longer in LA.  Hell, when I think about the Ravens, I still think of the real Cleveland Browns.  Takes me a second to remember that the Titans are really the Houston Oilers.

That's crazy, so we know who all of our opponents will be, except 2 of them, 5 years out.  There goes that whole BS about your schedule being based on your record.  If you've got a terrible record that only changes 2 teams each year, and they have to be from the 2 divisions in the NFC you're not playing.  Crazy.

So, if we're playing the NFC West and the AFC South next year, plus our own 6 divisional games, then our other 2 opponents come from either the NFC North or South, which are Bucs (South), and the Vikings (North).  

Shocker with those two.  That will make it 10 times since 2002 that the Skins have played the Bucs and 8 times vs the Vikings.

Seems like we should really have a deeper rivalry with those two teams, considering we play them almost once a year.

You didn't know that?  In the 90s, the schedule (except for your Division opponents) tried to match your record to your opponents.  That is a big reason that even though 1998 Redskins sucked, the 1999 Redskins were good and the 2000 Redskins were mediocre. 

I'm going to consider the teams that I can't name more than four or five players on as irrelevant to me:

1- Jags. Guys I know: MJD, Gabbert and Rashad Jennings. I don't think any of them are still on the team, lol.   

2- Titans. Guys I know: Britt, Kendall Wright, Nate Washington, Locker. Britt is gone. 

3- Dolphins. Guys I know: Tannehil, Cameron Wake, Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Charles Clay.   

4- Raiders. Guys I know: Mcfadden, Heyward-Bey, Pryor, Janikowski, Denarius Moore.

I think I can name more than 5 guys off every other NFL team. I seriously can't even name the head coach of each of those teams off the top of my head, lol.  

Archived