Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most irrelevant team in the NFL?

Okay maybe the don't completely forgot but have to really think about before they remember them. It's kinda like the states. If you forget some, that doesn't make you a not much of a citizen. But it might take you a few minutes to remember Wyoming actually exists.

If you were told to sit down and write out a list of all 32 teams and all 50 states, you could probably burn through the first 90% and then have to take a few minutes to think about the ones that were missing. For me, Wyoming=Texans.

I don't think that's a good comparison.

Some of the guys in this thread saying they forgot a team existed, were referring to hearing someone mention a team on tv, or seeing someone write the name in this thread.

If you walked by a tv in your house that was on NFLN or ESPN, and heard them mention the Jags, and thought; "I forgot that team even existed", then like I said, you weren't much of a fan to begin with.

I think his point is more that people forget that they actually stand a chance of winning anything important. Teams like the Jaguars we know exist, but we're so used to them losing that we don't really give them much thought.

I think his point is more that people forget that they actually stand a chance of winning anything important. Teams like the Jaguars we know exist, but we're so used to them losing that we don't really give them much thought.

So you must not give the Redskins much thought either.

double post

Yeah, because we totally didn't win the division the season before last lol

And followed it up by going 3-13, which was WORSE than the team you were insulting lol.

We have been a joke for two decades. Why some of our fans feel the need to put down other teams, is beyond me. Can't count the number of times I've read our fans saying "we should win our first two games". As if Jags and Texans fans aren't saying the same thing about US! lol

The Jags have no history. Teams that at least have history will always have some relevance. The Packers had been awful for awhile by the start of the Favre era, but they still had relevance. The Cowboys, for better or worse, remain very relevant. You can argue what kind of relevance teams have and whther or not they should have it, but its there.The Skins have had winning seasons, though peppered throughout 20+ years of suck. The Niners went through almost a ten year drought.

The Jags had some players in the '00s, but ultimately whiffed on QB, and had to deal with Indy, the Pats, and The Steelers in the same conference.

double post

And followed it up by going 3-13, which was WORSE than the team you were insulting lol.

We have been a joke for two decades. Why some of our fans feel the need to put down other teams, is beyond me. Can't count the number of times I've read our fans saying "we should win our first two games". As if Jags and Texans fans aren't saying the same thing about US! lol

I never said the Texans were irrelevant, so I'm not sure why you're suddenly blaming me for it lol. But anyway.....

We and other teams have already cemented our relevance, and though we may be viewed as push-overs sometimes more often than not, we still established ourselves in the NFL. Once a team develops a reputation, like we did in the 80s through the early 90s, it sticks.

Even so, we were mostly irrelevant for the past 20 years. We managed to be noticeable when Gibbs came back, and got us to the playoffs in 05 and 07, but after that, we were mediocre once more until Shanny came in. The only headlines we got were from our busts.

I never said the Texans were irrelevant, so I'm not sure why you're suddenly blaming me for it lol. But anyway.....

We and other teams have already cemented our relevance, and though we may be viewed as push-overs sometimes more often than not, we still established ourselves in the NFL. Once a team develops a reputation, like we did in the 80s through the early 90s, it sticks.

Even so, we were mostly irrelevant for the past 20 years. We managed to be noticeable when Gibbs came back, and got us to the playoffs in 05 and 07, but after that, we were mediocre once more until Shanny came in. The only headlines we got were from our busts.

If you would read, you would see I said "our fans", when making the Texans comment. It was a general comment. It wasn't directed at you. We play the Jags and Texans the first two weeks..hence why the comment was made. So "lol" at you for your sketchy reading skills.

And I disagree that we are still relevant. Like I said, like it or not, we've been a joke for two decades. So have the Cowboys. THAT'S what other fans think of these days when those two teams are mentioned, not ancient SB titles.

• 4 weeks later...

If you would read, you would see I said "our fans", when making the Texans comment. It was a general comment. It wasn't directed at you. We play the Jags and Texans the first two weeks..hence why the comment was made. So "lol" at you for your sketchy reading skills.

And I disagree that we are still relevant. Like I said, like it or not, we've been a joke for two decades. So have the Cowboys. THAT'S what other fans think of these days when those two teams are mentioned, not ancient SB titles.

Ah, but they DO think of us...

And I think a definition is needed for some stuff said on this thread:

"I forgot that team existed" = They never give me a reason to think about them...not their coach, not their QB, not their record. Nothing. As bad as the Browns have been for a looooooong time, they constantly give me reasons to think about them. There are other teams, though, where I can't even think of the name of their starting QB, and don't have any desire to look it up. I'm remembering players' names from a few years ago and I don't know--or care--if they're still on that team.

That's what I was asking in the OP...which team best fits that description to you?

And I think a definition is needed for some stuff said on this thread:

"I forgot that team existed" = They never give me a reason to think about them...not their coach, not their QB, not their record. Nothing. As bad as the Browns have been for a looooooong time, they constantly give me reasons to think about them. There are other teams, though, where I can't even think of the name of their starting QB, and don't have any desire to look it up. I'm remembering players' names from a few years ago and I don't know--or care--if they're still on that team.

Exactly, Teams like the Browns and Jags are punchline teams. The have-nots can be relevant too for entirely different reasons. Infamy is still fame. The people will always remember Detroit as the team went 0-16.

Teams like the Titans though are so forgettable it's not even worth it to make jokes.

Haven't given much thought about the most irrelevant NFL team, because at 3-13 it would be like the pot calling the kettle black. I will say that MARA Imo is the most irrelevant excuse for a person riding, crawling, sitting or standing. What an asshat.

Titans

Although, if it weren't for the start on their helmet the Cowboys would ruin away with this. They are never good, but they are never terrible either which are the two teams that get coverage whether good or bad. They are always 8-8 and the definition of mediocre. Aren't they literally .500 since '96? Name I'd the only thing keeping them relevant.

I agree with this guy.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/n30nzb/sport-report---swimming-pools-for-football-fans---governors--hockey-wager

Today it's Jax, w/ out a doubt. I dislike that franchise simply bc they lack history, have an awful stadium that's usually half empty, and they're in a small market that shouldn't have ever been granted an expansion franchise.

As a kid, it was definitely Green Bay. I remember wondering what the deal was with that one team I almost never saw on tv. I remember my dad telling me how great they used to be, etc. This was in the 80s before I had cable, NFL Films, or any perspective for league history pre Gibbs/Skins SBs. The Packers were rarely on National tv then, and the Skins didn't host the Pack between 1979 and 2004 so I never go to see them live at RFK, unlike every other NFC team, and most in the AFC.  

Archived