Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most irrelevant team in the NFL?

So like I thought about the name 5 players on a team and came up with this lise

Jacksonville...Cecil Shorts, Ricky Stanzi, Luke Jokel,

Browns....Josh Gordon, Joe Thomas, TJ Ward, Alex Mack, Brian Hoyer, Greg Little, Jordan Cameron

Raiders....DMC, Rod Streeter, Denarius Moore, Matt Mcgloyn,

The answer is clearer to me now, the Jags win

if you're talking about me, I never called you a loser, nor would I. I don't like to insult people. I said playing FF does not make you any more of a fan. If that makes you feel like a loser, that's on you.

As far as the tattoo thing, if that's what bugged me, I'd have said that. And Fwiw, I don't understand getting sports team logos.

I also know and don't care about your opinion about tattoos in general. You do however, need to get over yourself.

Again, Dallasux stated that anyone that could name 5 starters off every team needed a woman. I then told him that FF 'aids' in me being able to know that kind of info. I never said people that play FF are any bigger of a fan.

After he made his snarky comment, that's when I dropped the tat insult on him. And he doesn't have a logo of the Redskins on his arm, he has a drawing of Sean Taylor's MUG on it!! Strange, right?

So like I thought about the name 5 players on a team and came up with this lise

Jacksonville...Cecil Shorts, Ricky Stanzi, Luke Jokel,

Browns....Josh Gordon, Joe Thomas, TJ Ward, Alex Mack, Brian Hoyer, Greg Little, Jordan Cameron

Raiders....DMC, Rod Streeter, Denarius Moore, Matt Mcgloyn,

The answer is clearer to me now, the Jags win

TJ Ward plays for Denver now.

Again, Dallasux stated that anyone that could name 5 starters off every team needed a woman. I then told him that FF 'aids' in me being able to know that kind of info. I never said people that play FF are any bigger of a fan.

After he made his snarky comment, that's when I dropped the tat insult on him. And he doesn't have a logo of the Redskins on his arm, he has a drawing of Sean Taylor's MUG on it!! Strange, right?

you had stated playing FF makes you more of a hardcore fan.

I love one style of tattoos and try not to judge others. I actually had a loud drunk in the bar, looking at people's and sharing his opinions just yesterday.

you had stated playing FF makes you more of a hardcore fan.

I love one style of tattoos and try not to judge others. I actually had a loud drunk in the bar, looking at people's and sharing his opinions just yesterday.

I said anyone who only keeps up with his favorite team and a few others is a casual fan. And they are.

You didn't know that?  In the 90s, the schedule (except for your Division opponents) tried to match your record to your opponents.  That is a big reason that even though 1998 Redskins sucked, the 1999 Redskins were good and the 2000 Redskins were mediocre. 

I think in the 90s you usually knew 11 to 12 of your opponents for the next year.  You had your 8 games against division rivals then your division all played the same AFC division 4 times, with the only difference being whether you played the division winner or the worst team in the division. 

Currently, sure the Jaguars are the most irrelevant. If we're talking about in the long history of the league then it is the Cardinals hands down.

Now I know this thread is about how a team appears to you, and not provable things like facts or statistics, but I can't help but rant about how ****ing bad the Cardinals have been because it is baffling to me.

The Cardinals as a franchise have existed since 1898, and were original members of the NFL in 1920, prior to our Washington Redskins and a whole lot of teams. In fact, the only other active team which joined at the same time as the Cardinals is the Bears. The Packers weren't founded until 1919 and didn't join the NFL until one year later- the Giants four years later. The other teams from 1920 are all defunct franchises who didn't survive such as the Dayton Triangles, Akron Indians, Muncie Flyers, Rochester Jeffersons, etc.

One would think that in such a long span of time (I.E. the entire history of the NFL) the Cardinals would have lucked their way into doing something of note. They have not really.

In 93 NFL seasons, the Cardinals have won 511 games which sounds like a lot but in comparison to a lot of other average franchises this is not a very good number- even when taking into account the shorter seasons experienced by older franchises this is still a bad number.

The Cardinals have the third worst winning percentage of any active team in the NFL. The only teams which have been worse? The young Houston Texans franchise and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

-------------------------------------

So what teams would other consider to be more irrelevant than the Cardinals? The Bucs? The Lions perhaps? The Browns?

Well- in the past the Browns were an absolute powerhouse. Founded in 1946 in the AAFC, the Browns won four straight championships before joining the NFL. In their first season joining the NFL they went 10-2 and won the championship. They lost the next three championships and won the next two. Let me summarize: the Cleveland Browns began their existence in the NFL by participating in the NFL championship game six straight seasons, winning 3 and losing 3.

Only recently have the Browns truly fallen on hard times actually. For their history they have won 8 NFL Championships, gone to the playoffs 24 times in the NFL, and if you aren't counting their recent history since their team was stolen and shipped out to Baltimore (during which they have been thrown into chaos and gone 77-163), their franchise prior to destruction and rebirth was 421-270. This is good for a winning percentage of .641 which would place them in first place as the franchise in the NFL with the best all time winning percentage.

The Lions are another team most would say have been historically irrelevant. They last won a championship in 1957 and have only made the playoffs 15 times in their 83 year NFL history. They did however have a few glory years. In those 15 playoff appearances the Lions managed to win 4 NFL championships. They managed to at least make the playoffs 6 times in 9 years with the amazing Barry Sanders carrying their team, and in recent history have looked extremely promising if not horribly underachieving.

The Bucs were historically awful when they began. An 0-14 season with Spurrier at QB is how they began their history as a football team. In his 5 years with the Bucs, Doug Williams managed to will them to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years, but Tampa Bay decided they were tired of winning football games and got rid of him, leading to 14 consecutive losing seasons. Dungy managed to make them perennial playoff contenders, Gruden managed to win a superbowl for them. That one action made them less irrelevant than the Cardinals, but not by much. 24 out of the Bucs 37 years as a franchise have seen them finish with a losing record. They spent one season ever at .500, and 12/37 as winners. Still, they've made the playoffs 10 times in that span.

The Cardinals on the other hand have had 93 years to get this **** right. In that time span they have won 2 NFL championships, sure, but they have made the playoffs 8 times. Ever. The Buccaneers- one of the worst franchises during the past 37 years have made the playoffs 10 times and won a superbowl, while the Cardinals could not manage that in 93 seasons. The Lions made the playoffs 15 times in 83 seasons. Hell, even the popular pick for being this era's most irrelevant team, the Jacksonville Jaguars have made the playoffs 6 times in 18 years. Give them another 75 years and I guarantee they'll make the playoffs more than two times even if they are completely boring and horrible.

Sure, a few years ago the Cardinals at 9-7 managed to luck their way into the superbowl and damn nearly won the thing. That would have been the one piece of the puzzle which MAYBE could elevate them above teams like the Lions, but it was clearly a fluke which was not to be repeated.

The Cardinals- whether in Chicago, St.Louis, or Phoenix, have had some good players come and go, some good coaches, and looked promising from time to time, but nothing has managed to totally bring them to life and put them on a perennial run of success, or even a 3-4 year run of success. 2008 and 2009 were the first years the Cardinals had back to back playoff appearances since 1974 and 1975. Prior to that it was 1947 and 1948. Prior to that they never HAD back to back appearances in the playoffs. They won their first championship in 1925. Then they lost for the next 21 years. Then they won another championship, lost in the playoffs the next year, and lost again for the next 25 years. Then they lost in the divisional playoffs twice in a row, didn't make the playoffs the 3rd year in spite of a 10-4 record, lost for 5 years, lost a wildcard game after a 5-4 season in 82, lost the next 15 years... their franchise just goes on and on like this.

The most irrelevant team in the entire history of the National Football League is by far the Cardinals. No other team has existed for so long and yet accomplished so little. Even the Saints, who endured 20 years of futility from their formation until finally making the playoffs (and losing) were a better team historically prior to winning their superbowl. In 46 years at least they made the playoffs 10 times and while the Cardinals have 2 championships to the Saints 1 superbowl, I'd say that its obvious which team has had a better history. 93 ****ing seasons of this **** for Cardinals fans everywhere. No wonder they've been in 3 cities in their history.

Jax is the easy answer. I think its funny because Seattle can slip in there also.

"What? They are Superbowl Champs!"

I can't think of a single Seattle Fan I knew growing up....or I've met as an adult. Actually, I have one Fraternity Bro who grew up a Skins fan and moved to Seattle and in the past few years he and his wife are all about Seattle teams. That's the only Seattle fan I personally know.

I see them on TV and am sure there are many who have been fans of theirs for their entire existence. But usually I read about a complaint online of east coast bias as to why they don't get more of a run. Then I think how that's not a problem with San Fran.

I've met AZ Cards fans.....San Diego Fans....and know a bunch of Buffalo ones.

But it's easily Jax.

• 2 weeks later...

Along with everyone else, I was going to say Jax at first.  But someone made a good point that I agree with.  The fact that everyone says Jax almost makes it untrue.  What teams do you literally forgot are even a franchise?  For me, and I actually had to think about it, it's the Titans and Texans.

I seriously forgot that the Titans were a team in the NFL for the past two years. I heard "Tennessee Titans" on sports center late last year, and realized that I forgot they existed. After that, I forgot about them again until I saw this thread and someone else said the Titans. Yeah.

The Jags are the most irrelevant, they also have the stupidest helmets. JAG = just another guy, 'nuff said.

Glad I'm not the only one..

I seriously forgot that the Titans were a team in the NFL for the past two years. I heard "Tennessee Titans" on sports center late last year, and realized that I forgot they existed. After that, I forgot about them again until I saw this thread and someone else said the Titans. Yeah.

If you forgot an NFL team existed, chances are you just aren't that big of an NFL fan to begin with haha.

Along with everyone else, I was going to say Jax at first.  But someone made a good point that I agree with.  The fact that everyone says Jax almost makes it untrue.  What teams do you literally forgot are even a franchise?  For me, and I actually had to think about it, it's the Titans and Texans.

So then if everyone else thought the same as you and said the Texans or Titans, would your response cease to be true to you? lol...

Have you noticed there are two proposals for LA football stadiums to be built to attract teams

They think there will be two teams going to LA, and they have SB dreams/plans for each stadium.  So apparently there are at least two irrelevant teams...

Ok, that makes zero sense lol...

Sure it makes sense.  The fact that "everyone" thinks of a team as irrelevant makes them at least noticed.  A team or teams that people literally FORGET ABOUT are the ones that are truly irrelevant.  So if everyone mentioned those other teams, than it would no longer be true.

Pretty much every team in the AFC south. Lame teams all around imo. Even the Colts are lame. Ya they had Peyton and have Luck, but the city, stadium, uniforms etc is all boring to me

The Colts are hardly boring. And their uniforms are nice and they play in a nice stadium. Stop being silly.

Sure it makes sense. The fact that "everyone" thinks of a team as irrelevant makes them at least noticed. A team or teams that people literally FORGET ABOUT are the ones that are truly irrelevant. So if everyone mentioned those other teams, than it would no longer be true.

As I said earlier in the thread, if someone "forgot a team existed", then chances are they weren't much of an NFL fan to begin with.

I'd say the Titans at this point, again everyone at least knows the Jags. Also even with my reservations about Bortles I love what Bradley is doing down there and I think they had a great draft. Titans feel doomed to tread water in mediocrity for a good while.

As I said earlier in the thread, if someone "forgot a team existed", then chances are they weren't much of an NFL fan to begin with.

Okay maybe the don't completely forgot but have to really think about before they remember them.  It's kinda like the states.  If you forget some, that doesn't make you a not much of a citizen.  But it might take you a few minutes to remember Wyoming actually exists. 

If you were told to sit down and write out a list of all 32 teams and all 50 states, you could probably burn through the first 90% and then have to take a few minutes to think about the ones that were missing.  For me, Wyoming=Texans.

Archived