Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KHOU.com: "Deputies: Dad fatally shoots teen boy daughter snuck into her bedroom"

CrypticVillain

Stories, like this one, were made to be debated on ES....

17-year-old Johran McCormick was shot inside a Spring-area home on Bridgestone Lakes subdivision off FM 2920.

Harris County Precinct 4 Deputy Constables were the first to respond after someone called 911 around 2:30 a.m. The Harris County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the shooting.

Investigators said the father accused in the shooting woke up to find McCormick in his 16-year-old daughter’s bedroom.

According to detectives, his 16-year-old daughter let McCormick in the house and snuck him into her bedroom.

Her younger brother went to say good night and saw two feet sticking out under the bed, detectives said. He then went to get his father.

The father walked in and asked questions, but his daughter claimed to not know McCormick. The father then called 911, but an argument ensued with the teenage boy.

The father told deputies that McCormick dropped his hands as if to grab something, so the man opened fire. The teen died at the scene.

Full story here: http://www.khou.com/news/local/Deputy-constables-Dad-shoots-teen-boy-found-in-daughters-bedroom-250041711.html

This is a very peculiar situation here. 

On one hand, I do agree that you gotta protect your family at all cost. On the other, did he really had to shoot the gun? 

And the daughter has to get some of the blame right? One could argue that because of her, her father is in trouble, and sadly, a boy has died.

Thoughts?

Why did the daughter say she didn't know him? "Yes dad, I'm being raped in my bedroom by someone I don't know."

I can imagine that argument being frantic, and it really depends what happened during it. If that girl is adement about not knowing him and the dude is trying to get away, I can see adrenaline getting the best of the father. That's my damn daughter. And she's an idiot.

When a guy who's daughter basically tells him you were in the act of raping her in his house in the middle of the night has you at gunpoint... Just lie face down with your hands on your head and only speak when spoken to. Don't try to argue, don't try to explain yourself, and don't move a muscle.

It's common sense.

1- The facts as reported don't past the smell test. "Dropped his hands" is the kind BS get out of jail free card cops play when they kill an unarmed man. I don't believe a reasonable person shoots a child dead that he has at gun point, in a controlled situation, and in a familiar location because his hands moved. Something is off there.... And I think I've seen this scenario on a cop drama before.

2- At least one person in that family is responsible for that boys death. If the daughter lied as the story claims then she created the situation which lead to the young mans death for her own benefit (that benefit being getting out of trouble).

3- don't sneak into a girls house when the homeowner is present and you aren't welcome. If they surprise you by getting home early, tough break (run like the wind), but damn don't go in while they are already there. That's tempting fate.

1- The facts as reported don't past the smell test. "Dropped his hands" is the kind BS get out of jail free card cops play when they kill an unarmed man. I don't believe a reasonable person shoots a child dead that he has at gun point, in a controlled situation, and in a familiar location because his hands moved. Something is off there.... And I think I've seen this scenario on a cop drama before.

2- At least one person in that family is responsible for that boys death. If the daughter lied as the story claims then she created the situation which lead to the young mans death for her own benefit (that benefit being getting out of trouble).

3- don't sneak into a girls house when the homeowner is present and you aren't welcome. If they surprise you by getting home early, tough break (run like the wind), but damn don't go in while they are already there. That's tempting fate.

Yeah I tend to agree. This seems very strange. But yeah, sneaking into a girls house to get some while her parents are there... Probably not the wisest of choices, on top of apparently copping an attitude, or doing anything remotely similar.

What's fair got to do with anything? 

You don't have many rights here on my property after dark,and certainly not in my daughters bed.

is it fair to put the father in that position?  :blink:

uninvited and in my daughters bed at 2 am is not healthy

I agree with the above

In this state if you walk in on your spouse doing the deed with another person, you can indeed shoot the other person for trespassing. You can not however shoot the spouse without facing potential jail time.

And if was my daughter and she stated she did not know him ? Who knows ???

Well, he's in a guy's house, in the middle of the night, all up on his daughter... So there's that.

it is very disrespectful to say the least

I have had my son sneak in a girlfriend.....we had a chat about respect for both me and her parents

I've no objection to having them there(even my daughter had guys spend the night),but deceit will create problems for everyone

From what I understand, the son walked in on them, got the dad, and when the dad came in the room, the daughter claimed she didn't know who the guy was.

The way the article was written it seemed like the father also had time to have an argument and phone the police before shooting the kid.  Point is it didn't seem like they were "caught in the act" and the father just reacted.  Also the reason given was the the kid might have been reaching for something, not "was on my daughter".  That's the reason this reads like something is odd to me.  

From what I understand, the son walked in on them, got the dad, and when the dad came in the room, the daughter claimed she didn't know who the guy was.

From what I read...under the bed, does not mean under the sheets. Certainly there is more to it. But throwing around "raped" is an assumption.

EDIT: If the brother is the reason this kid is dead and it was her boyfriend...that will lose all trust from the family forever. IMO.

My Dad caught me home with a girl once...he never told my Mom. However, by chance that day, my Mom came home after a bad day at work and I always was uncertain. Then later I did something else silly and I snitched on myself. He never told her at all...then they started arguing. Double edged swords do exist.

The way the article was written it seemed like the father also had time to have an argument and phone the police before shooting the kid.  Point is it didn't seem like they were "caught in the act" and the father just reacted.  Also the reason given was the the kid might have been reaching for something, not "was on my daughter".  That's the reason this reads like something is odd to me.  

The argument must have led to the girl continuing to deny knowing the kid, or perhaps the kid even doing the same. The childrens testimony will be the key to this case.

I still can't grasp the concept of killing the kid if he was unarmed. But why would the kid argue ? Ehh.

Should be interesting.

I agree that this doesn't pass the smell test. But also, a couple of things come to mind.

Isn't part of owning a firearm for home defense, knowing how to (hopefully) avoid needing to ever shoot it?

"Dropped his hands" sounds like a father with a lot of pent up rage and an itchy trigger finger. This was a seventeen year old kid. 

I firmly believe that I have the right to kill someone trespassing in my home. And I don't need a firearm to do it. However, I think it gets iffy when we start talking about someone else letting them in.

~ I think we can all agree that if my wife lets someone into my home while I'm taking a nap, I can't wake up and call that person a trespasser. 

~ I think we can all agree that if, while I'm changing the babies's diaper, my three year old opens the door and lets someone into my home, I can probably call them a trespasser. 

~ Where does that line come about? This boy was let in by a minor, but by a 16 year old girl who obviously knew what she was doing and was sentient and conscious of that decision. I don't believe that, if my teenager brings home a friend, I can consider them trespassing.

All of this trumps the fact that this kid needs to know that no girl is worth entering a man's home at 2 in the morning. Poor young man.

Its hard for me to fault the dad.  I mean...whether she lied to him or not, as far as he was aware there was someone who had broken in to his home in the middle of the night and was assaulting his daughter.  If that isn't justifiable I don't know what is.

But the daughter..hell if the daughter did lie...she's completely culpable.

I definitely got busted by a girls dad when I was younger. But she was over my house with my dad upstairs asleep. She was supposed to be over her friends house and the friend folded under pressure and told the dad where I lived.

It was a pretty terrifying situation. If that was my daughter, damn right I'd be pissed.

I was a bad boy as a kid with regards to the ladies. Surprised I didn't get killed.

Its hard for me to fault the dad.  I mean...whether she lied to him or not, as far as he was aware there was someone who had broken in to his home in the middle of the night and was assaulting his daughter.  If that isn't justifiable I don't know what is.

But the daughter..hell if the daughter did lie...she's completely culpable.

It's hard for me to fault the dad for being pissed; I would be as well. It is not hard for me to fault him in shooting an unarmed kid. It doesn't sound like there is much to suggest that he was assaulting her or had raped her, etc. He apparently had time to call the police and argue with the kid. I'm assuming that during this argument the kid refuted the daughter's claim that she didn't know him. As others have said the whole "dropped his hands as if to grab something" deal doesn't pass the smell test. It is the kind of thing a shooter who knew the law (aka a deputy) would say when he knew he needed a cover for why he pulled the trigger.

Archived