Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm not an X and O guy! How are we doing so far in free agency?

RED_DREADS

I'd give us a C.  I probably would of given it a D, but I'll give Bruce some credit for showing restraint on throwing big $$ around for guys who weren't worth the price they got.

Hatcher - Biggest name of the bunch.  Coming off a career year in Dallas.  I like that 8 of his 11 sacks were against division opponents which shows he steps up in those games.  I question the scheme fit since he played best in a 4-3 and was ok in a 3-4.  Reminds me a little of the Cofield signing.  Maybe it means Haslett will use a more hybrid defense this year.

Lauvao - Didn't like this signing at all.  Sure he's a better pass protector then what we had, but he's a sloppy player.  Doesn't bring much in the run game either.  Don't know why they thought he was worth the $$ they gave.  He can thank a bad FA group of guards for that contract.

Robert - Shifty WR and can help the return game.  Not a bad signing.

Hayward - Special Teams ace and backup LB.  As bad as Special Teams were last year they needed something.  Not a bad signing.

Geathers - Big dude who was raw coming out of SC.  Bounced around a lot of teams in his short career.  That happens when you're 6-8 with a wide wingspan.  Everyone wants to take a look at you.  Could be a backup or just camp fodder.

Sharpton - Backup LB/Special Teams.  Did ok filling in for Cushing.  Don't know if I'd want him as a starter, but good backup.  Not a bad signing.

Porter - Brings some depth in the secondary.  Like him more then Wilson or Biggers.  Should be an upgrade.

I'd give us a C.  I probably would of given it a D, but I'll give Bruce some credit for showing restraint on throwing big $$ around for guys who weren't worth the price they got.

Hatcher - Biggest name of the bunch.  Coming off a career year in Dallas.  I like that 8 of his 11 sacks were against division opponents which shows he steps up in those games.  I question the scheme fit since he played best in a 4-3 and was ok in a 3-4.  Reminds me a little of the Cofield signing.  Maybe it means Haslett will use a more hybrid defense this year.

Lauvao - Didn't like this signing at all.  Sure he's a better pass protector then what we had, but he's a sloppy player.  Doesn't bring much in the run game either.  Don't know why they thought he was worth the $$ they gave.  He can thank a bad FA group of guards for that contract.

Robert - Shifty WR and can help the return game.  Not a bad signing.

Hayward - Special Teams ace and backup LB.  As bad as Special Teams were last year they needed something.  Not a bad signing.

Geathers - Big dude who was raw coming out of SC.  Bounced around a lot of teams in his short career.  That happens when you're 6-8 with a wide wingspan.  Everyone wants to take a look at you.  Could be a backup or just camp fodder.

Sharpton - Backup LB/Special Teams.  Did ok filling in for Cushing.  Don't know if I'd want him as a starter, but good backup.  Not a bad signing.

Porter - Brings some depth in the secondary.  Like him more then Wilson or Biggers.  Should be an upgrade.

You seem to be ok with atleast 5 of the 7 signings and but yet you would rate it close to a "D" ?

You seem to be ok with atleast 5 of the 7 signings and but yet you would rate it close to a "D" ?

In terms of how these signings make this team better.

Special Teams got better, but they really couldn't get much worse then what they were last season.

Defensive depends on how Hatcher fits.  I'm skeptical of how Haslett uses him.  The rest of them are marginal.

On offense I don't think Lauvao or Roberts make it better.  I see Roberts having more of an impact on ST.

A D grade is probably too harsh.  I'll just leave it as a C.

A little early to grade free agency so far.  I don't mind a thread just about grading in addition to one about who's coming in, who we want, etc.

Overall, I'm probably thinking B/C.  I think we've signed a number of glue guys, but not much potential for greatness.  In other words,  we have solidified the team, made it better, but I don't know how far we've sprung forward.

I like it so far.

Kinda wish the Skins got Linval Joseph (ECU Alum) but Hatcher is a great consolation prize.

I have faith in Bruce and Grudes and I think they have a blueprint. It's not the old days when Dan and Vinny popped in the newest Madden video game and signed the guys with 90+ ratings.

I remember the days before READ THE RULES! such a simpler time when this was a message board and not a jump on the new guy board..

Yeah, I've never seen a board that was as aggressive as 2014 ES about removal of crappy threads. Paloffs never would have survived in this era of ES. Then again, if I wanted to go elsewhere, I would have. The positives of the board far outweigh the aspects I personally disagree with.

Anyway, I'd give us a B-. It's been a decent few days.

Yeah, I've never seen a board that was as aggressive as 2014 ES about removal of crappy threads. Paloffs never would have survived in this era of ES. Then again, if I wanted to go elsewhere, I would have. The positives of the board far outweigh the aspects I personally disagree with.

Best part of the board is that we police it. Mods don't have to. Peter probably could have phrased it a little less aggressive, but I think he was alright. And he's probably right.

Having said that, no harm no foul!

As far as our grade goes, I'm not sure yet. I'm not ready to comment on the individual pieces. I am ready to say that I enjoy the fact we're adding players in positions of need. Excellent strategy that allows a best player available strategy in the draft versus reaching for a need.

We need a few more pieces as far as filling needs still, but it's been an excellent start as far as the positions addressed. Gonna wait a little while to grade the class. Want to get some film study in before commenting too much :)

Welcome to the board!

I remember the days before READ THE RULES! such a simpler time when this was a message board and not a jump on the new guy board..

Well in those days there weren't 75,000 members with an opinion. The mods have asked the community to help out as it's even too much for them to regulate all of us. It's fine not to like that, but they're not doing anything wrong.

Thanks to everyone. Working twelve hour shifts and peeking in to check on my 'skinse, I needed to cut to the chase and get down to the nitty gritty! Who the hell are all of these people we signed and is this good or what? Thanks for the breakdoen!

Sorry for this mis spelled words, good night!

I was trying to make this a "break it down for the non X and O people" thread. All these names floating around, I have no idea if these are good signings or bad.

How do you break it down without x and o's? \\

None of us know if they are good are bad signings right now, that will be determined by time. 

Did you expect to agree completely with any community that had a heartbeat? 

Its not over yet but I'm going with a C. Lauvao, Geathers not so sure about and there are still holes at Safety. More depth at the worst but the Defense and Oline " should " be better, one more receiving weapon, and teams should improve talent wise. If nothing else the draft picks will have to work a bit harder to push someone out of their spot. Time will tell though.

Did you expect to agree completely with any community that had a heartbeat?

Oh hell no. I think ES has a pretty welcoming vibe about it and isn't as burdened by cliques as other boards I've been to, inside jokes aside. If you can't live with disagreement, living is going to be awfully stressful for you.

I don't agree with grading a free agent class after 4 days. How about after a year or two. With our track record in free agency shouldn't we relax & stop acting as if we're gonna go crazy as if we truly know if these are good or bad signings. I actually like the fact it seems we're going with guys to fit a system & not just overspending like crazy on name guys.. Under the radar signings can & have paid huge dividends for many teams..

I grade it a B, because they've gone after needs and spent modestly for decent talent.  Also, they kept our own talent instead of letting it walk out the door.  That's exactly how free agency should be done.  The big signing from another team almost never works out.

C+ so far, the only thing I like is that we beefed up our pass rush. Hatcher has signed and Spencer is on his way. Thanks Jerruh, keep it up. On the other hand I think we overspent for Lauvao, the other signings are just adressing depth with below average talent. Overall not bad considering our "toxicity".

I fear the rumor that this place might not be desirable is true and that probably cost us landing some bigger DBs in free agency. I'm glad we didn't compensate by doubling other offers.

I can't imagine our gameplan was to sign ST guy, backup LB, 3rd WR in Arizona and P/K.

I think Hatcher is a real signing....but, hate to say I think the rep here is not good and Allen wont compensate that for $. That is good and right.

But as far as free agency, not overwhelming. We did get slightly better on DL.

For me, this free agent period has been a lot of "Who's he?".

For a quick snapshot of the players and how they may fit, I suggest http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/2014-nfl-free-agents

I'm not saying they are the definitive expert, but it will give you some idea about the player.

After reading some of their synopsis, I have a lot of "Why him?" and "Ugh".

I do like Hatcher signing.

The Rook :)

Red, we've given you more than one polite warning (even though you've only been given 1 warning point) about this starting a new thread fetish as a new member and you keep ignoring us and getting it wrong. We've been patient because you seem like a good guy and that's how we roll in such cases. But at this point,  I'm going to give you 30 days off. If you want to return, you'll have to do so understanding you are not  to start a new thread for 3 months after your return. I hope you'll "get it" by reading the rules, studying them, and reading the forum more carefully to see how it works. If you choose not to return, we understand and we can deal with it.

Per Bacon's critique, it's absolutely fine. And we have tightened up as we have a flood since the last board change that landed us many new members, some of whom were all over the board with problematic threads (hardly a new phenomenon on ES when we experience such an influx).

And the opinions on this stuff are as broad and diverse among members as it is with any other topics. We have to go by our vantage point, experience, and our rules/guidelines.

On the other hand, Bacon, you're def talking out your ass  :huh:  :lol:  that we would ever close a thread like the paloffs thread. Most of us were mods then and we don't miss gems.  ;)

Even now we let some go if we think you guys are going to have a lot o fun with them. And I'm glad you're around these parts, Bacon.  :)

Archived