Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your time as a Skins fan, which Skins win stoked you the most (caveated)?

hail2skins

When DG returned that punt, I pretty much knew we were going to the SB.

Pat and John were talking about how the Vikings beat SF on the road, then they would show a pic of Anthony Carter on the screen, and I can remember seeing it and thinking to myself that he was stoned outta his gourd. Green's PR TD definitely took the air out of the stadium, but I was still nervous as a pregnant nun until the 4th dn play where Payton got ran out of bounds a few yds short of a first down.

Speaking of, someone was selling games a few years ago; it would be nice to buy a few more games, just gotta find who it was.

Well I've been a fan since I was a little boy (started right around 1991), but I don't think I REALLY started to care until 2003-2004....

So not a ton of wins to chose from:

That I saw on TV: 

2005- wins vs Cowboys (MNF) and over Eagles to make the playoffs that season. 

2006- I know it meant nothing in the long run, but I still get chills from that Cowboys blocked field goal game.

2007- Win over Dallas to make the playoffs. Was a tough year for the Skins' and my personal life; really felt good.

2008- Win over Dallas in Dallas. They were gods gift to football, I was in Vegas with about 200 Cowboy fans at the ESPN zone and it was me and one other couple as Skins' fans.... it felt damn good that upset.

2009-2011 - Nothing to see here

2012: Win over the Saints. All I wanted that day was RG3 to look OK... and he did so much more. and the win over the Ravens was one of the best feelings I can remember. I thought for sure I'd seen the franchise turn a corner that day.

Games I attended: 

2004: Skins over Bucs. Portis 64 yard TD is my first memory of attending a game at FedEx. I still think thats the best feeling I've had at that stadium.

2012: I was attended the Vikings (Rg3 big run), Giants (17-16 win)... and then I was at the Dallas game. Had no plans to go, a ticket randomly came up that day, I was supposed to be watching the game by myself (just moved to DC area from home where my whole family was watching together), my girlfriend pulled some magic (she had to work that night) and got me a ticket. I feel like all the garbage leading up to that point as a Skins' fan was atoned for that night. It was amazing. When Rob Jackson picked off that pass I felt like the past 20 years of heart ache were 100% worth it.....

Then the next week and year happened and thats for another thread

Besides some already mentioned by others, 2006 Jags OT game was for me.  It may have been because I was in attendance, but I just felt I've never seen so many Skins fans into a game before.  It was exciting from start to finish and was probably a top 3 best game I've attended at FedEx.  It was deafening that day.

Besides some already mentioned by others, 2006 Jags OT game was for me.  It may have been because I was in attendance, but I just felt I've never seen so many Skins fans into a game before.  It was exciting from start to finish and was probably a top 3 best game I've attended at FedEx.  It was deafening that day.

I still  remember Larry Michael's call from that game. That was the one where Moss caught that horrible throw from Brunell and housed it, with all the players running towards the endzone to celebrate.

That was also when I realized "Oh ****, our defense is horrible." The Jags were a ground and pound team then, and Byron Leftwich looked like Brett Favre out there.

MNF Mark Brunell To Santana Moss twice.  I scared everyone in  my dorm hallway with that second TD throw.

I was also in college at the time, and I remember running around the entire apartment complex because of how hyped I was.  This will probably be my #1 win of all time, even more so than beating Dallas in 2012.  We just looked so out of it, and I was literally minutes away from calling it a night, when WHAM everything changed.  My roommate was a diehard Giants fan, but we both shared a mutual hatred for Dallas, so that was definitely a fun night.

I also enjoyed the Dallas win in 2008.....the only positive thing for me personally, to have come out of the Jim Zorn era.  Unfortunately I was in the hospital at the time, but I think I fell asleep watching that episode of Sportscenter over and over again, and woke up to it, and watched it multiple times until they started other programming.  Bright spot, in an otherwise sad situation.

That was a really good game from what I remember.  It wasn't a gimme by any means as the Jags were actually a pretty decent team.  I actually had worked down in Jacksonville on a project the previous summer and kept in touch with one of my colleagues who was a Jags STH (yes... they exist).  After that game, I sent a nice trash-talking email, with this picture at the end of it:

2006-10-01-redskins-in.jpg

My number 1 is the win against the Bears in 87. Darrell Green became my favorite player that day. It's also right around the time in my life I really started paying attention to football.

The next few would be the ones skinsfan080 listed.

2005- wins vs Cowboys (MNF) and over Eagles to make the playoffs that season. 

2006- I know it meant nothing in the long run, but I still get chills from that Cowboys blocked field goal game.

2007- Win over Dallas to make the playoffs. Was a tough year for the Skins' and my personal life; really felt good.

I remember in 2005, all the crap I heard from cowboys fans. Including a guarantee from a cowboys fan that they would not lose to the Redskins. I also remember Cooley scoring those 3 TDs and sticking it to fat Parcells who told him he'd be nothing more than a special teams player.

2006 was just funny because my cowboys friend is also an NC State fan. So when Nick Novak kicked another last second game winning field goal, it was the 3rd time he's seen Novak do that. Twice for MD against NC State, and this game.

In 2007, I also remember how Dallas was playing it's starters to try and get them some milestones. Marion Barber, the overhyped cowboy RB flavor of the month, needed only 19 yards to get 1000 and ended up with -6. Romo sits to pee was also going for a milestone, and I remember him getting crunched right before half. The cowboys showed me that day they were more about individual records than winning games. So the beat down to get into the playoffs was even sweeter.

The other game from the 87 playoffs that had me stoked was the Vikings win. That play at the end to win it. I would watch that over and over. The folk lore is Green knocking the ball out, but the WR just dropped it and Green wrapped him up to make sure there was no miracle tip catch. But I can still hear Frank Herzog's call of "One down to the Super Bowl".

I think it was 1990, and the Redskins played a game in Foxboro against the doormat Patriots [ kinda difficult to use doormat and Patriots in the same sentence ].

It was an absolute miserable day to play; it was pouring down, everyone was soaked in rain, windy, and there were a few hundred die-hards in the stands, it was so dark it looked like they were playing at night.

The Pats won the toss, hit the field, and, well, by the time the Redskins offense hit the field, it was 14-0 Washington; the Redskins defense scored 2 TDs on the Pats first 2 possessions. Can't remember if they were pic-6 or fumble/TDs, but the offense didn't see the field until we were up by 14.

Not really my 'top games' list, but it was a game i'll always remember.

I think it was 1990, and the Redskins played a game in Foxboro against the doormat Patriots [ kinda difficult to use doormat and Patriots in the same sentence ].

It was an absolute miserable day to play; it was pouring down, everyone was soaked in rain, windy, and there were a few hundred die-hards in the stands, it was so dark it looked like they were playing at night.

The Pats won the toss, hit the field, and, well, by the time the Redskins offense hit the field, it was 14-0 Washington; the Redskins defense scored 2 TDs on the Pats first 2 possessions. Can't remember if they were pic-6 or fumble/TDs, but the offense didn't see the field until we were up by 14.

Not really my 'top games' list, but it was a game i'll always remember.

I love finding boxscores to old games, and I'm guessing you're referencing this one:  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199012150nwe.htm

I very vaguely remember sitting in the back of my parents car listening to this game.  It had to be a late game because it was dark outside.

Incidentally this game was the week before the game against the Colts that I cited as the Redskins loss that hurt the most in the other thread.

(Incidentally-- we played 2 Saturday games that year?!?)

I have been a Redskin fan for a long time, 40 plus years so I have seen a lot of great wins for this franchise. Anytime you beat Dallas it is a win that will get you stoked. I think the one game that brought me the most satisfaction and got me stoked the most was the Dallas game, don't remember the year, but Joe Gibbs was the coach, Mark Brunell was the starter. They were playing in Dallas and the Cowboys were inducting Aikman, Smith, and Irvin in the ring of fame. Dallas was ahead of us something like 13-0 going into the fourth quarter when Brunell connected with Moss not just once but twice deep for TD's that won the game. You can't get anything better than that. Beat the Cowboys in their own stadium while they are inducting their top trio during their Jimmy Johnson led Super Bowl era.  

I love finding boxscores to old games, and I'm guessing you're referencing this one:  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199012150nwe.htm

I very vaguely remember sitting in the back of my parents car listening to this game.  It had to be a late game because it was dark outside.

Incidentally this game was the week before the game against the Colts that I cited as the Redskins loss that hurt the most in the other thread.

(Incidentally-- we played 2 Saturday games that year?!?)

You can see how comsumption of alcohol over the years has gotten me! :)

I thought they had scored 2 TDs, but it was a TD and a safety.

Thanks!

I've been watching since Billy Kilmer was the QB, so I have a lot of games to choose from.  I think my pick could change from month to month, but it was one of two opening week games.  The first being the thrashing of detroit 45-0 to beginning our Super Bowl winning season.  It was clear from that win that the team was VERY SPECIAL. 

The other was Robert's first game.  We played and beat the Saints in New Orleans.  That is a tough place to win, especially for a rookie QB.  It was clear from that win that the team had a VERY SPECIAL quarterback. 

The future is bright!!!

You can see how comsumption of alcohol over the years has gotten me! :)

I thought they had scored 2 TDs, but it was a TD and a safety.

Thanks!

Looking at that boxscore again, check out these lines:

Earnest Byner: 39 carries, 149 yards rushing, 1 TD

Mark Rypien: 5-11, 100 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT

39 of 56 offensive plays featured Rypien handing off to Byner.  WOW.

The MNF game in 91' against the Eagles, if i'm not mistaken, I believe the Skins defense held Philly under 100 yds of total offense.

Also, the Eagles were called for a false start, the play was blown dead, and the QB just lobbed the ball, which Green jumped up high and snagged it one-handed. Didn't count, but it was an incredible effort by Green, even impressed Dierdorf, the Redskin-hater.

I became a fan on the day the Redskins lost to the Dolphins in SB VII, so I wasn't yet a fan for the '72 NFC Championship game. With that said, nothing compares to winning the NFC Championship game on your home field. So, the '82 NFC Championship win over Dallas, the '83 win over SF, the '87 one over the Vikings and the '91 win over the Lions are my favorite Skins wins. To have that game at home is what teams play the regular season for and once you're there, it's bigger than the SB, because like Monte Coleman once said "if you lose, you don't go. I live in N.Y. and wasn't at any of those games and never made to RFK period. I have been to FED EX four times and while it is obviously no RFK, if the Skins are ever to host an NFC Championship game there, the place would be bananas and will be a game I must attend...There is NOTHING like playing home for the Conference Championship game.

For me it was the opener against Detroit in 1991.  It was Labor Day weekend.  I had driven home to Annandale, Va, from Signal Officer Basic Course at Fort Gordon, GA for the weekend -- not exactly a short trip and it was in a '78 Ford Granada.  The Skins were 0-4 that preseason and I attended the game played in So. Car.  Rypien was most definitely on the hot seat.  That demolition was so satisfying the drive back to base was a breeze.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199109010was.htm

Archived