Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your time as a Skins fan, which Skins win stoked you the most (caveated)?

hail2skins

HogHeaven 1983 started a good thread about the most devastating loss to you as a Skins fan, so I thought I'd look at the other side of the coin and ask about what Redskins victory during your fanhood amped you the most?

But here's a caveat:  You have to choose a game other than any of the three Super Bowl victories or either of the two NFCCG wins over the Cowboys.

My personal favorite would be the January 1991 win over the Eagles in the wildcard round of the playoffs.  The previous time we had played them was the infamous Body Bag Game, the Monday nighter at the Vet where they beat us fairly decisively and knocked out two of our QBs and B-Mitch had to finish up.  Buddy Ryan of course had ran his mouth from the time he got to Philly in '86, boasting in his first year that he was going to go 8-0 in a division that included Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, and Tom Landry as fellow coaches.  Ryan of course never won a playoff game in Philly, and after the Skins laid the wood to them in the 20-6 playoff win, he was fired.

I anticipate a lot of the younger fans will mention either of the Dallas games from 2012, but was curious about what folks have to say.

I'll go against the grain... but because I was there and had to deal with the fans ALL day... it was the Ravens win where RG3 was hurt and it's not even close.

That felt so liberating.  It felt great rolling down the tunnels.

I have told the story here many times, the MN miracle game, I had just bought a new TV and got to own a Dallas fan at Costco. 

The guy had snickered his way to my truck to load the TV and I finally asked him what was so funny, he said won't it suck when the Cowboys beat the Skins again, I said, well, win or lose tomorrow when I  wake up I will still have this TV and you will still be ****ing Cowboys fan. And that really sucks for you.  The old man who help sell me the TV laughed in his face, went back the next day he was never to be seen again. 

Beating Tampa in the 05-06 playoffs. I hated the Bucs, and the way they robbed us of a win earlier that season, and wanted to beat them so bad. The way we beat them too, with a dominant defensive showing and an interception late to seal it. Take that smirk and shove it up your butt Gruden.

Close second would be the 35-7 Cowboy butt whooping that same season. All Cowboy fans said was how lucky we got to beat them earlier on MNF, but then to completely destroy them in a game that basically determined who got the Wild Card was soooo satisfying. Anyone have that pic of Parcells looking depressed with the 35-7 in the background?

Hmm...hard to decide.

The 1982 game where Mosely broke the FG record kicking the game-winner in the snow to send the Skins to the playoffs was incredible.

The Monday Night Miracle in 2005 rankes up there, too.

The last game in 2005 against the Eagles, when Sean Taylor picked up the fumble and soared into the end zone, sending the Skins to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years...that win felt so damn good.

And the season finale in 2012 beating the Cowboys for the division championship in RG3's rookie season was equally exhilerating.

35-7. That is all. We had to have that game, and so did the Cowboys. They didn't know what hit them. That, and Sean Taylor scared Terry Glenn.

We sent blitz after blitz, and GW as all giggedy on the sidelines. IIRC Cooley scored like 3 td's before the half. Complete domination. I miss those days Even though we didn't make the playoffs every year, every team that beat us left a couple years of their lives out on the field when the game was over. We mashed people.

MNF earlier that year is probably # 2, but I went with 35-7 because we hit a mid season snag and were in danger of missing the playoffs... And then everybody woke the hell up and started whooping ass.

My favorite Skins moment was I believe in 1984.....it was the Divisional Championship at home against the Doughboys.

Even though I wasn't at that game I was born in DC and was raised in a little town called Wheaton MD.

Sundays and Redskins football was our extended families Sunday tradition, playoffs were like "Going to see the Wizard, the Wizard of OZ"!!!

So I had gone to see the Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers there and knew just how much the upper level bounced up and down when people were jumping around up there.

Well, when the Doughboys came out of the tunnel it was full on pandomania with all the fans chanting and drowning out anything that would pass for audible sensation for anyone, " WE WANT DALLAS, WE WANT DALLAS.!!!!!

The Doughboys were so intimidated that there is a famous clip of Dorsett, Randy White and Danny White looking like they were entering the Colosieum to meet there doom.

WE KICKED THEIR ASS IN A COLD BLOODED FASHION. THOROUGHLY SATISFIYING!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure my top 4 favorite games are all Cowboys games (the two in '05, the 21 point victory in '07 when we clinched a playoff berth, and the Thanksgiving Day game in '12).

#5 has to Opening Day '12, in the Superdome. I think my jaw is still on the floor in disbelief. There was no way we were going to win that game. And then we did (and dominated... For awhile at least).

Has to be the Monday Night Miracle for me. We had only beat them once, in the last 10 meetings.

Stayed calm, after the first touchdown. Felt like I was being set up. Did not stay calm after the second touchdown.

I've never screamed so loud. I was in the basement and I easily could have woke the neighbors who probably thought someone was getting chopped into pieces. I talked mad **** the next day at school (was a senior in hs)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261105028

havent seen this one mentioned yet- the home game where vanderjagt got his potential game winning kick blocked, sean taylor picks it up, gets facemasked for an extra 15 yard penalty, and terp nick novak kicks the 47 yard game winner FTW with no time on the clock.

i screamed in my living room and jumped up and down like a girl. 

epic.

For me, hands down, the paloff game against da' Bears in 87'.

That was a game of will, and the Skins could have said the hell with this cold ass weather and gave up, but no, they played a good Bears team, on the road, in absolute frigid conditions, and also gave us the greatest punt return in Redskin history, while also making it Walter Payton's last meaningful game.

This game will always be atop my lists, I can hear Madden and Summerall talking in the booth, Madden said ' yea its so cold out there, your spit freezes, your sweat freezes, hec ANYTHING hangin' on ya will freeze', and Summerall laughed, as I did.

I should give an honorable mention to the Redskins/Chargers game in 80' [ I believe ] when the Redskins throttled Dan Fouts and the San Diego Super Chargers 40-17, in San Diego, against some offensive guy named Joe Gibbs. The rest is literately history...

SIC

For me it was that crazy blocked FG fumble return by Sean Taylor in 2006 I think

Where the Cowboys were lining up for a game winning FG with a few seconds left

The kick was blocked

Sean Taylor picked it up and rumbled 40 yards

Then a face mask added 15 yards

Then the skins kicked the game winning FG with no time left

An improbable snatch of a victory from the jaws of defeat from a hated rival.

In my adulthood -- I'd have to go with the Monday Night Miracle.  

Prior to that game the Redskins had beaten the Cowboys once in the past 8 years.  Not only that, the Redskins consistently found ways to lose games in that fashion (i.e. dominating all game, but never quite pulling away and then giving up two semi-freakish scores to lose).  So it was a nice turn of events.

From my childhood (pre-1998 or so), I'd go with one of the following:

1990-91 Wild Card round over Philly (revenge for the body bag game)

1991-92 Divisional round over Atlanta (only because of all the smack-talk going in, and the Falcons sending the whole team as captains for the coin toss, and brining MC Hammer to the sidelines as an assistant coach, and who can forget the seat cushions)

1992 - Denver on MNF (Art Monk breaks Steve Largent's record for career receptions, and it was the first Redskins game I ever went to)

January 5th, 1991 - playoff victory over the Fecals, sweet revenge.

The Skins were just two months removed from the infamous "body bag" game at the Vet. The Eagles fans and their asshole players were laughing and bragging about injuring all three Skins' QBs on prime time television.

For me, hands down, the paloff game against da' Bears in 87'.

That was a game of will, and the Skins could have said the hell with this cold ass weather and gave up, but no, they played a good Bears team, on the road, in absolute frigid conditions, and also gave us the greatest punt return in Redskin history, while also making it Walter Payton's last meaningful game.

This game will always be atop my lists, I can hear Madden and Summerall talking in the booth, Madden said ' yea its so cold out there, your spit freezes, your sweat freezes, hec ANYTHING hangin' on ya will freeze', and Summerall laughed, as I did.

I should give an honorable mention to the Redskins/Chargers game in 80' [ I believe ] when the Redskins throttled Dan Fouts and the San Diego Super Chargers 40-17, in San Diego, against some offensive guy named Joe Gibbs. The rest is literately history...

SIC

When DG returned that punt, I pretty much knew we were going to the SB.

Archived