Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfltraderumors: Report: Redskins Discussing A Possible Extension With WR Santana Moss (M.E.T.)

AlldaySkins

As long as Moss contract is structured so that he can be cut if does not win a spot on the roster during preseason then i am fine with him being on the team. He is a long tendered player and deserves the chance to compete for a roster spot as long as his contract does not hurt the team in the long run and i dont think he should be cut to allow for another younger player unless that player can win the spot.

He is one the few WR on the team who has played in a number of different systems which could greatly help the development of our wr.

Overall I like Moss.  He makes clutch catches that no one besides Garcon can make.  Unfortunately as he has aged, he has had some bad turnovers and drops.  I think it's more from coming off the bench and not being in the flow of the game than reduced skills.

I say keep him around until someone beats him out.  I'm pretty sure that's been the FO/coaching staff's mentality for the last few years.

Moss has been a good Redskin, he has definitely lost a step and his drops have seemed to increase over the last few years. That said, if he is willing to work cheap and come of the bench I have no issue keeping him around another year. I'd like to see him retire as a Washington Redskin.

Why does this team insist on keeping guys that are past their primes? If this was NE, Pitt or any other great franchise, Moss would have been gone 3 years ago.

It's funny that you mention NE. They always go for the vets that are getting past their prime. Brandon Lloyd and Randy Moss ring the bell. I actually wouldn't be surprise to see the Patriots go after Moss if we don't resign him.

It's funny that you mention NE. They always go for the vets that are getting past their prime. Brandon Lloyd and Randy Moss ring the bell. I actually wouldn't be surprise to see the Patriots go after Moss if we don't resign him.

Highly doubt NE wants Moss. Brady would go nuts watching him repeatedly drop passes. And BB would bench him, because of the fumbles. Plus they have enough midgets at WRs.

Offering Moss a modest contract is not upsetting any apple carts.

last year we relied late picks and UDFAs as kick returners it was a disaster of historic proportion.

I'm all for finding young players. But insurance is cheap.

~Bang

This plus on a low value contract Moss isn't even guaranteed a roster spot. Some are acting like him getting a cheap contract means he's on the roster when in fact he'll have to earn his way on. No problem with veteran competition. 

I love Santana but it's time for new blood.

And if the new blood can beat him in competition in camp then the team will move on. 

I don't think Lloyd was passed his prime and Moss was STILL a very good WR.

Looked it up, you might be right about Lloyd, although he still had over 900 yds that season, but Moss was still Randy Moss when they got him in 2007.

This plus on a low value contract Moss isn't even guaranteed a roster spot. Some are acting like him getting a cheap contract means he's on the roster when in fact he'll have to earn his way on. No problem with veteran competition.

And if the new blood can beat him in competition in camp then the team will move on.

Even at 5m/yr, if there's no guaranteed money then his spot isn't guaranteed. From Moss' perspective it might actually make more sense to go for a cheap contract with some/most of it guaranteed (2 yrs/5m with 2-3m guaranteed) - better chance of him actually seeing some money.

Also, and to be fair to Moss, he did take a $2m+ pay cut to stick around last year and help the cap situation. Whether he earned that money via the incentives he converted it to, don't know, but I think he'll come cheap enough to warrant fair value to the team in 2014.

I'd like to see Moss with Gruden.  He still makes some nice catches, this was his worst year for hands, but overall has some good hands.

ALL YEAR LONG he created separation.  All year.  Keep him around, Once Griffin has a solid offseason and 3rd year coming up he could be fantastic in the slot.

I hope this happens...Santana can still play, he needs to be more involved. He's a vet who knows how to play and shouldn't cost much. He's also versatile and Robert likes him. Who out there is better for a one year deal? Veteran signings like this can go a long way in terms of leadership on the field and off......plus he's a Cowboy killa! Worst case scenario is someone beats him out.

Moss has not exactly been the most productive player for us over the last few years. I contribute that a lot to the offense and to other factors like coaching and lack of it at times. So Moss might still have something left and besides it won't be at a big price. Another thing going for him is that he has been one to do whatever it took to contribute without complaining about his role or lack there of. So why not keep him as long as it isn't breaking the bank.

Assuming he is cheap (relative term) then I can see certainly see the value - although it will be a new offense so that value is reduced a bit. It's not like we have anyone behind Garçon on the roster either. However if the deal is for more than just a very modest deal I struggle with it - he has lost his top gear and also some of his quickness in and out of breaks. I thought he was done to be honest as the end of last year.

I don't think the offense is going to be "new". Part of the reason and benefit of Sean McVay and Chris Forrester was to maintain schematic continuity. Grudes/McVay have stated that there won't be wholesale changes. Also both offense are rooted in WCO there will conceptually carry over and even verbiage carry-over.

Tana is not the player he was in 2010 when his production in this offense was on par w/ Garcon. But he was still a productive WR in an offense that under Kyle hasn't been conducive to the anyone other then the #1 WR putting up big numbers. This team is currently not in position to turn down productive, professional and versatile WRs.

Tana is a insurance policy against many circumstances: he can play all the WR positions, he can return punts/kicks if you need him, he's a professional (sets a good example for younger WRs) and he's cheap.

I would love to sign Santana again to retire a Skin. He's been a true professional and still has the skills to be a really good WR. I think we should definitely keep him at a reasonable price as we try to find guys to replace him. Right now we've got Garcon, Hankerson (injured), Robinson and Williams. Morgan's gone and likely not coming back. Williams is an UDFA and I don't know what to expect from him. We've Robinson needs to develop his route tree a bit more, and we need to see where Gruden places him (if its behind Garcon again which could limit his snaps, or if they'll be on the field together?). And Hankerson's coming off a major injury and after having injuries in 2 of the last 3 years, I'm not too confident in his health. But even if he's healthy is he much more than a 45 catch 600 yard WR. I'm not disappointed in that but thats not a WR group that's too exciting.

I think we keep Moss, probably don't add any FA WRs unless its on a prove-it type of a contract and then try to draft one or two guys to develop. I took a look at the Bengals WRs and it seems like Gruden (the Bengals FO which I suspect had input from Gruden) had some "success" in drafting WRs. The guys on their roster in 2013 were Green (obvious pick), Sanu (6-2 guy, hasn't had a breakout season yet but did start 14 games last season...Hankerson woulda had better numbers than him had he played a full season), and Marvin Jones who is a 6-1 guy who put up a 700 yard season last year (and killed me in fantasy with his 10 TDs). Thing is Jones was a 5th rounder for the Bengals.

If we can get somebody like Jones in this year's draft we could have a nice WR set, but it'll probably take him time to develop (Jones didn't come on til the end of his second season), so I'm for keeping Moss while we develop somebody else.

We were 3-13 with him in our lineup. He has had a fine run, but I would be fine with risking it without him going forward.

Moss just seems to be in survival mode to me, for a few years now. Not that I blame him, mind you. He is forging an ending to his career in the slot and its just not him. The waterbug is a very tough spot to play. I prefer youth in that spot, someone more fearless, someone hungry.  I have a theory, players that detest contact dominate in camps and make the team from that, but on game day, you don't get that same performance.

In Gruden we trust? Then I would prefer him as a 4 vs a 3, to stretch the field. You say he is too slow? Robinson our burner couldn't get open deep but rarely. I am ok with him as a 5 if he is our only punt returner on the roster, if we have to keep a 3rd vet QB for instance. Our 5 WR has to contribute on teams IMHO.

I don't think signing Moss has anything to do with there plans to bring in an outside WR.

With or without Tana this team still needs a #2 WR.

Moss is a #3 WR in my book.

I disagree. We may want Moss to be a number 3, which I would agree with, but I think his history and the talent on this team says he's a number two. I mean he was pretty much the second WR this year. Hankerson/Morgan started the games and Hankerson was on pace to have a better season, but he got hurt. If you're asking me for guys I trust, I'm throwing Moss's name right up there in terms of guys on this team. Lets not forget that he was the number 1 here before Garcon came. Not saying he did great in that role, but he did put up 1000 yards in a season on multiple occasions. The main reason for his decrease in yards per game is because of Shanny trying to get younger and trying to move him to slot where he's probably best, not because he doesn't have the talent.

If we can have Moss as our number three though with a consistent threat at number 2 and Hankerson at number 4, then that turns a mediocre WR set into a really good one with only one addition.

But otherwise, I'd rather have Garcon/Moss than Garcon/Hankerson, unless Hankerson shows improvement.

I disagree. We may want Moss to be a number 3, which I would agree with, but I think his history and the talent on this team says he's a number two. I mean he was pretty much the second WR this year. Hankerson/Morgan started the games and Hankerson was on pace to have a better season, but he got hurt. If you're asking me for guys I trust, I'm throwing Moss's name right up there in terms of guys on this team. Lets not forget that he was the number 1 here before Garcon came. Not saying he did great in that role, but he did put up 1000 yards in a season on multiple occasions. The main reason for his decrease in yards per game is because of Shanny trying to get younger and trying to move him to slot where he's probably best, not because he doesn't have the talent.

If we can have Moss as our number three though with a consistent threat at number 2 and Hankerson at number 4, then that turns a mediocre WR set into a really good one with only one addition.

But otherwise, I'd rather have Garcon/Moss than Garcon/Hankerson, unless Hankerson shows improvement.

Scratching my head as to how this disagrees with my post?

^^ He didn't breathe life in the punt return game lol. Our punt and kick return games were AWFUL.

You clearly don't remember how bad it was before he took over....not saying he was amazing, but he did perform better.  And Moss didn't return kickoffs fyi so commenting on kick returns in regards to my post is kind of irrelevant and superfluous.

Archived