Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfltraderumors: Report: Redskins Discussing A Possible Extension With WR Santana Moss (M.E.T.)

AlldaySkins

He has suspect hands. I don't think that has to do with age. He could hit all the routes, and was open for the most part. I don't doubt that he has still has some speed left in the tank. It is those crucial drops that I am worried about.

I'm fine with a 1 year deal for him. We're already going to have enough turnover at WR. It would be nice to draft a smaller "offensive weapon" type guy to learn the ropes for a year, return punts, and hopefully take over for Tana in 2 years.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to part with guys when the time is right. Is there a better time to move on from older players than with the arrival of a new coaching staff? 

Moss will be learning everything for the first time just like a newcomer would. Except he'll be doing it at the age of 34 with the ability to add value for maybe 1-2 more years. Why not invest that time into a player who could potentially be here for a longer time? I'd prefer to see Aldrick Robinson given the opportunity to play in the slot instead. 

What value will Moss add for a final season on a team with a new coaching staff that is unlikely to contend for anything right away? I understood why they brought him back last year believing that they might build on the success of 2012, but his time as a Redskin should be over. 

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to part with guys when the time is right. Is there a better time to move on from older players than with the arrival of a new coaching staff? 

Moss will be learning everything for the first time just like a newcomer would. Except he'll be doing it at the age of 34 with the ability to add value for maybe 1-2 more years. Why not invest that time into a player who could potentially be here for a longer time? I'd prefer to see Aldrick Robinson given the opportunity to play in the slot instead. 

What value will Moss add for a final season on a team with a new coaching staff that is unlikely to contend for anything right away? I understood why they brought him back last year believing that they might build on the success of 2012, but his time as a Redskin should be over. 

I'm not reluctant to part with him.. he's old and declining. At the same time, it's tough to add 3+ new WRs in one offseason. It stands to reason that one of them would be an older vet at a small salary. So if we're looking at someone in that category, why not the guy that is already here? 

I'm not reluctant to part with him.. he's old and declining. At the same time, it's tough to add 3+ new WRs in one offseason. It stands to reason that one of them would be an older vet at a small salary. So if we're looking at someone in that category, why not the guy that is already here? 

I guess if we are resigned to adding a mid-30s WR in FA, I'd choose Moss. I just hope that really isn't part of the plan. Garcon, Robinson, Hankerson, and two other guys who aren't old would be my preference. 

Hankerson has a very serious knee injury that will take him at least a year just to get back to where he was - which was only a #3/borderline #2 WR. Shanny didn't draft the next Brandon Marshall, or even the next Eddie Royal while he was here, and any 2104 draft WRs typically won't blossom until year #3. All in all getting him back on the cheap is not a bad move; it's a decent stopgap measure.

I'm not sure about all the adoration for Aldrick Robinson.  He hasn't shown much at all aside from speed. 

Jordan Reed forced coaches to give him playing time.  Aldrick Robinson hasn't.  If he can't beat out 34 year old Santana Moss, that's on him. His skills seemed ill-suited for the slot anyway. 

I guess if we are resigned to adding a mid-30s WR in FA, I'd choose Moss. I just hope that really isn't part of the plan. Garcon, Robinson, Hankerson, and two other guys who aren't old would be my preference. 

Garcon, Hankerson, Robinson, Moss + 2 draft picks ... a 3rd round WR and a 5th round slot ... but no pressure for them to step in and start immediately. That's what I'd do. 

I've always appreciated Santana but I hate to say it that this feels like another Fletcher situation. Yeah he deserves to go out on his own terms, and maybe it wouldn't be a strain on the cap, but the cold harsh reality is this is a business and if him staying is at the expense of developing a younger player then maybe it's time to let him go.

Last year it just seemed like it was a 50/50 proposition that a.) he caught the ball or b.) held on to it if he did catch it.

I'd honestly rather see what Williams could do in that spot.

We have nothing at WR outside of Garcon. Hankerson has been seriously banged up 2 out of his 3 seasons here, Morgan is a question mark at best...and the trio of Robinson, Briscoe and Nick Williams isn't gonna help RG3 or the offense to any noticeable degree.

As long as the extension is cap-friendly I have zero reservations about extending Moss.

I like Tana and what he's done for us. I used to be in the camp that you gave good guys that have given their all to the team the benefit of the doubt.  But after seeing us hang on to Portis and then Cooley too long, I'm ready for some new blood.  I want to win and if it means Santana doesn't come back, I'd be OK with that.  But, if he comes back, I hope his roster spot is not guaranteed.  I want to see him win his spot. But my gut feeling is, let him go and let the younger guys get the reps.

Only way I can see this being worth it is if it ends up reducing his cap hit. Considering how few good receiving options we have after Garcon, he could be a nice stopgap for this coming season. But you certainly don't want to make a bigger commitment to him than we already have.

Inexpensive, reliable, durable and most of all he brings leadership.

Exactly this. Moss is one of those guys you want on the bench, in the locker room, and on the field during a championship run. Cat has seen just about everything BUT a chamionship. That makes him smart, reliable (ok, most times), a leader and most of all HUNGRY.

For cheap, we would be silly not to have this guy.

....for cheap lol

God no.

I love and appreciate 'Tanna to bits. Hell, I had some fierce debate the last game of last season

with some when I proclaimed him a Redskin legend in the farewell thread.

But that Giants game should of been just that. Farewell to a legend. It's time to move on with the new regime and an ageing vet on the downside of a great career is not one to play a part in that. We don't need guys like that, who'd only be here for a limited duration, standing in the way of younger guys who will be growing with our young QB.

You CAN'T have sentiment in football. When you do that, you're on a slippery slope. See L. Fletcher Esq.

It's time to cut ties.

Hail.

Archived