Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfltraderumors: Report: Redskins Discussing A Possible Extension With WR Santana Moss (M.E.T.)

AlldaySkins

He had 1 bad year and you all want him gone ! WOW people! Moss still can play. I guess the Panthers should get rid of Steve smith as well since hes getting old too.

You act like Moss is 27 years old.  You seem to forget 1 bad year and another year added on to his age.  He can no longer contribute at the level we need him to contribute at.  He cannot improve our special teams either.  It's time to the cut the cord.  Speaking of Steve Smith, funny you say, the Panthers fans are also wondering if Steve Smith is starting to slow down and can be the #1 anymore.  Panthers are one of the very few teams in worse shape at WR then we might be.  At least Garcon is a stud.

He had 1 bad year and you all want him gone ! WOW people! Moss still can play. I guess the Panthers should get rid of Steve smith as well since hes getting old too.

The Panthers will likely draft a WR with their first pick. He is close to the end. He could possibly play a few more years if he moved to the slot, but he's too proud to do that.

At any rate, there is no comparison to those two players. Then or now. Pretty bad example.

Why keep around old guys on a below average roster? What about Nick Williams in the slot? We'll never know if guys like him can play if we keep around an old aging vet. I love Moss and everything he's done but it's time to cut ties.

Im all for letting Moss walk, but Nick is terrible. C'mon.

The Panthers will likely draft a WR with their first pick. He is close to the end. He could possibly play a few more years if he moved to the slot, but he's too proud to do that.

At any rate, there is no comparison to those two players. Then or now. Pretty bad example.

Im all for letting Moss walk, but Nick is terrible. C'mon.

And you're ready to judge him by his limited sample size?  Not saying he's the starter or anything but too early to write him off.

Yeah I'm sorry I don't think we will see Nick Williams on our opening day roster. He's simply not going to turn into a Wes Welker type of receiver. I would love for him to prove me and other skepticals wrong though. Dude will have a shot, but Santana will beat him out if he's brought back.

love Santana in Burgundy and Gold ... but his hands are suspect ... don't know if that's always been the case or something that's been getting worse.  I'd keep him for heart, drive, preparedness, hustle, etc. etc.  but he'd need to sign a short term contract with $ relatable to someone with one of the highest drop percentages in the league ... recently at least.

I liked Moss when he was with the Jets and was glad when we picked him up. I thought he could be another Gary Clark for us. He definitely showed us the similarities on Miracle Monday... and he's been good on 3rd down conversions when we needed them. But it has been maybe only 2 or 3 games the whole year that he shows up. His production level is just not worth keeping. No doubt he's been a warrior for these years and I thank him for his efforts. But as Ricky Ricardo said to Fred and Ethel....

"THE TIME HAS COME"

One of the main reasons I'm for re-signing moss is that we don't have anybody to replace him with. If we can get him on a reasonable deal and have some young guys beat him out all the better, but I don't see the purpose of making this team worse in the name of youth. That's creating a hole where we don't need one. And even with Moss's drops and such last year, he was still our second most productive WR.

I dont get all the talk about letting santana go. Hes been the only consistent receiver on this team for years (with occasional drops here and there, nobodys perfect). great 3rd down asset and go to target last year. hes earned his spot on the redskins. deserves to retire here and have his name enshrined on the ring of fame. he also provides  great leadership in the locker room as well as off the field. so why not keep santana, even if he remains on the sideline; he can still build value and guidance for our younger receivers! 

Nobody is more experienced at fumbling at the most inopportune times and bobbling balls into interceptions than Santana.

Yeah because RGIII (11 fumbles/4 lost - 13 games), Cousins (3 fumbles/2 lost - 3 games) and Morris (5 fumbles/4 lost - 16 games) were so much better at securing the ball and not making bad throws (RGIII and Cousins) than Moss (2 fumbles/2 Lost - 16 games).  

I'd use 1 pick to replace Moss, or sign an UDFA to take that spot. You want a prospectus on potential UDFA punt returners? Hit up on the comprehensive data base thread. I stand by what I said. Signing Moss by the standard of, we'll he wasn't that bad and there's no one on the 2013 roster who can do better is a poor standard. It's not my job to find the new players, it's the teams job, so I'm not going to give you an answer other than the one I gave in the first place. We have roster spots open and needs? Fine, go get players who are young and hungry and stop paying old guys who are another year older. Moss didn't crap the bed returning punts last year? That's our standard for that spot? And please stop with the we only have x number of picks. Other organizations in this league routinely turn over half their rosters and field competitive teams, but we can't? It's amazing how low our standards have become as a fan base.

We do not have the luxury of taking a WR in the draft with all of the other holes we have.  Unless you are talking beast/incredible WR talent (first round) like a Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, etc. it takes most WRs (even some of the best/all-time greats) 2-3 years to break out, rarely do you see this happen in a WR's rookie season.

We do not have a 1st round pick and even if we did, we best not blow it on a ****ing WR when we need o-line, d-line, MLB, etc.  I think Bang made a great point in his post.  Who on the current roster can replace Moss in the slot and do just as good a job in a multi-facet role (i.e. slot WR and PR/KR)?  None of them on the roster.  

This isn't Madden 25 dawg, I can't just sub in (WR name here as #3/slot and PR/KR) and win ball games or have success.  If that were the case Logan Paulson would be one of our most valuable players as I played and won a game of Madden online only throwing the ball to him and playing him at FB (he ran a 75 yard TD). 

Please list off all the teams that turnover half of their roster and become competitive in one year.  I also want to know who was cut and who replaced them, cap situation, FA pickups and draft picks.  What was their overall record?  Did they make the playoffs?  How far in the playoffs did they go?

I'm looking at the playoff teams now and I can't think of one that turned over half of their roster in the off-season prior to last season.

• Panthers - Nope, stacked on defense, set fully on offense except at #2 WR spot.  Won games mainly with defense.
  • Eagles - Nope.  Oline was healthy this year unlike 2012, defense wasn't horrible, new coordinator helped, set at WR, QB and RB.  
  • 49ers - Hell Nope - have been set for the past 3 years.
  • Seahawks - Hell Nope - have been building for the past four, won a ****ty division and beat the Saints in 2010 playoffs with a 7-9 record, but that is a once and a lifetime event.  This team has been stout the past two and won a Super Bowl this year.
  • Packers - Hell Nope - if Rodgers didn't get hurt they would have had a better record last year, only slipped in defense, hardly half their roster.
  • Saints - Nope. Have been consistently really great except the year the head coach got suspended, ended up 8-8 I think, same roster the past 4 years for the most part.

I'm not even gonna go through the AFC.  The Pats have had a lot of turnover, but it never happened all at the same time.  This year it was WR and injuries to Gronk and losing Hernandez.  Other year it was young players on defense.  I cannot think of one team that has turned over half the roster and made an impact like you claim.  Not on a regular basis like you suggest.

When it comes to recievers people on this board are absolutely BONKERS.  From all the way back to McCants to now Nick Williams, there's always people swearing we already have top talent here.  No. We. Don't.  In terms of solid starting talent, Garcon is IT.  Moss may not be the Moss of old, but with the WR corps the way it is, you can't afford to let him go.  People, he lead the team in TD receptions when he had a healthy RG3.

When it comes to recievers people on this board are absolutely BONKERS.  From all the way back to McCants to now Nick Williams, there's always people swearing we already have top talent here.  No. We. Don't.  In terms of solid starting talent, Garcon is IT.  Moss may not be the Moss of old, but with the WR corps the way it is, you can't afford to let him go.  People, he lead the team in TD receptions when he had a healthy RG3.

This. Well said Mr. Mason. I don't know why all the hype over Nick Williams. Moss is still much better.

Any chance we can sign Sonny to be backup QB. He could throw to Moss while they reminisce about days gone by. (only partially kidding because at least Sonny can hold FG on special teams) Both were great, both have had their better days behind them. I'd like to see Moss retire and go out on top. I've already seen this movie with #59 this past season.

I don't see how signing him is a mistake, it's not guaranteeing a roster spot. Very few players have a guaranteed roster spot in the NFL, and mid-thirty year old receiver isn't one of them.

But I know one thing, if he's our slot receiver in 2014....that means we didn't succeed in improving the WR position and our passing game will suck.

I think you sort of answered your own question there  :)

My view on this has developed a little. I can see the sense in resigning Moss IF the deal has very little up front or guaranteed money - in other words if it allows for him to be released during preseason if he is not going to crack the top 3 of the receiver depth chart. If he is not going to be in the top 3 receivers I don't see the logic in keeping him.

We normally only dress 4 receivers for gameday and that 4th receiver has to be a core special teams player. Thats not Tana. If we are keeping him as the primary punt returner then that means we have failed to upgrade that position as Tana is no more than functional at his stage of his career and if he cracks the top 3 of the receiver depth chart as per the comment above we have failed to develop the receiver position.

I'm not sure why Tana would want to sign the kind of deal I hope we are putting out and the fact he has not yet signed and the rumour mill has gone quiet on this subject perhaps suggests he wouldn't. Moss has been a very good player for us - I think he is running on fumes now though and I'd rather he walked away now than play one season too many like London did.

One of the main reasons I'm for re-signing moss is that we don't have anybody to replace him with. If we can get him on a reasonable deal and have some young guys beat him out all the better, but I don't see the purpose of making this team worse in the name of youth. That's creating a hole where we don't need one. And even with Moss's drops and such last year, he was still our second most productive WR.

I think his production was due more to circumstances than anything special that he did. I think he's a replacement-level WR at this point in his career. That doesn't detract from what he's done here since 2005, but his past should not be considered when the FO makes a decision on his future.

I would rather see his reps handed to Robinson at this point and use the draft and free agency to fill out the rest of the WRs. If someone supplants Robinson, that's fine too. We have a guy who has more speed and open-field abilities on the roster right now. Give him a shot to take the position and run with it. Robinson has flaws, of course, but he's not a finished product unlike Moss.

One thing about retaining Moss... he is going to dominate the young kids in camp. A Nick Williams. At worst, he will work AS hard as his competition. Moss's work ethic and dedication are just hard for a kid to beat out.

Where the water gets muddy is under live fire. Moss in camp is going to be fearless and look great - again. But in game 1 running that slant towards Mike trying to catch that high pass with his hands... not so much.

I think Moss does much better catching the ball with his body > hands. Many of the throws he gets do not cater to his strengths. We call them drops.  I call it the high heat, and catching them is not his game.  I think RG3 has to get the throws down some for him, tough without throwing lanes. Campbell would rocket them through his outstretched hands over and over.

Gruden has to figure out how to best use Moss if he retains him, I am not sold it as a slot guy going forward.... maybe let him go deep some - stretch the field - get him into space. Be a 4/PR. He may have lost a step but he had a step to lose. He was always great on adjusting to the deep ball. In the short slot game, a strength of his is not utilized.  

What may help his case is as a punt returner; sure handed - and sure enough, its when catching against his body. 

Is there any chance Robinson could be our waterbug?

Garcon | Nicks / FA / Hank | Robinson/Williams | Moss / FA | Williams/Robinson

I stand by my contention that we don't need to get rid of him solely for the purpose of getting rid of him. Nick Williams is just Nick Williams until I have reason to call him something otherwise. If he shows the potential in camp that makes you fall in love, then thats one thing, but the guy barely made the roster last year and now we're talking about him being a threat? I want to build my team through the draft as much as everybody else, but I've also learned from watching us and other rebuilding teams over the years that you don't just throw a rookie/young player into a starting lineup for the sake of getting younger. Thats how you lose games.

RandyHolt, if what you're saying is correct, then it should be taken into account. I'd love for a young player to have Moss's work ethic and be able to produce on game day. But I'd hate to give Moss's position to a young guy who doesn't produce in practice HOPING that he'll bring it on game day. Sure the guy may turn into a Derrick Thomas (non-practice type player), but its highly doubtful. If from practice we think we've got a guy that is giving the same level of practice as Moss then we can consider letting Moss go.

But right now, we don't have any options at the WR position, so I'm all for bringing back the 34 year old at a reasonable price and hoping that a younger guy (who plays teams) can beat him out. but lets remember that the guys we fall in love with in training camp aren't always guys that can do anything in this league (I'm talking about you Lance Lewis, Nick Williams, Dez Briscoe, Terrance Austin, Anthony Armstrong, Samuel Kirkland, etc. The list goes on and on and thats just recent memory.

I stand by my contention that we don't need to get rid of him solely for the purpose of getting rid of him.... but lets remember that the guys we fall in love with in training camp aren't always guys that can do anything in this league

But, but we need young players out there! Anthony Mix! How about the dude that was hot during Zorn's training camp? He was tall too.

Moss was productive, we don't even have WRs on the roster that are good enough to push him down the depth chart but now people are ready to let him go?

I don't get it.

Archived