Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfltraderumors: Report: Redskins Discussing A Possible Extension With WR Santana Moss (M.E.T.)

AlldaySkins

I see no problem with a cheap contract and a position coming off the bench. Hell, for some reason around here people seem to think WRs need 3 years to develop so we have exactly jack squat at the WR position anyways outside of Garcon. I hope we sign a WR free agent that can contribute and Moss is the #4 or #5 while returning punts.

God no.

I love and appreciate 'Tanna to bits. Hell, I had some fierce debate the last game of last season

with some when I proclaimed him a Redskin legend in the farewell thread.

But that Giants game should of been just that. Farewell to a legend. It's time to move on with the new regime and an ageing vet on the downside of a great career is not one to play a part in that. We don't need guys like that, who'd only be here for a limited duration, standing in the way of younger guys who will be growing with our young QB.

Holy hell...Is this argument STILL being trotted out? lol

I'm pretty surprised by this I have to say. I don't see what we gain from doing this even if it's cheap. I'd even prefer to see Aldrick thrown into the deep end and played in the slot instead of Moss. His route running is improving imo and at least he's a player who can only improve.

Moss is easily one of my favourite Redskins ever but we need to know when to let him go and I believe now is definitely the time.

A 35 year old one year deal, even at WR 4/5 isn't going to hinder a younger guys playing/ practice time and subsequent development?

Hail.

No, the younger guy can learn from a highly respected redskin and excellent receiver. 

When we need a crafty veteran, the young guy simply can't match up to it.

using one spot on a solid vet like Moss is not hindering the team.

In fact, i'd put forth that to that young player, the fact that the team shows Moss loyalty and respect can ingrain a sense of loyalty and pride in the young player, and that is also important.

Even if Moss spends most of his time on the sideline, he can be nothing but an asset as far as I'm concerned.

~Bang

No, the younger guy can learn from a highly respected rfedskin and excellent receiver. 

When we need a crafty veteran, the young guy simply can't match up to it.

using one spot on a solid vet like Moss is not hindering the team.

In fact, i'd put forth that to that young player, the fact that the team shows Moss loyalty and respect can ingrain a sense of loyalty and pride in the young player, and that is also important.

Even if Moss spends most of his time on the sideline, he can be nothing but an asset as far as I'm concerned.

~Bang

I'm sure that young player will appreciate that.

I mean, we won't have room for him on our roster. But, while that young player hones his craft in Tennessee or Minnesota or wherever, I'm sure he'll look here and say "Wow, they're really loyal in Washington. They should be proud"

I'm sure that young player will appreciate that.

I mean, we won't have room for him on our roster. But, while that young player hones his craft in Tennessee or Minnesota or wherever, I'm sure he'll look here and say "Wow, they're really loyal in Washington. They should be proud"

this assumes we have six young receivers worth keeping.

This is rarely the case. 

A backup kick returner might lose his spot.

~Bang

Rufus just stole my reply.

But in a far more laconic yet to the point way than I. ('YAY for that' sigh the relieved readers.).

You CAN'T have sentiment in football. Part of being a good Coach is knowing when to move on. Often from guys who've served you well.

This Coach doesn't have those ties. So cutting the cord should be easy.

Hail.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to part with guys when the time is right. Is there a better time to move on from older players than with the arrival of a new coaching staff? 

Moss will be learning everything for the first time just like a newcomer would. Except he'll be doing it at the age of 34 with the ability to add value for maybe 1-2 more years. Why not invest that time into a player who could potentially be here for a longer time? I'd prefer to see Aldrick Robinson given the opportunity to play in the slot instead. 

What value will Moss add for a final season on a team with a new coaching staff that is unlikely to contend for anything right away? I understood why they brought him back last year believing that they might build on the success of 2012, but his time as a Redskin should be over. 

Yes.  The best time to cut ties with a guy who is still performing at a relatively high level is after the coach has been there a year or two.  In his first stint with the Redskins, the core of the 1981-1984 team was made up of guys brought in by George Allen.  I might agree if Moss was definitely under performing Robinson or we had other more important needs than #3 wr locked down.

this assumes we have six young receivers worth keeping.

This is rarely the case. 

A backup kick returner might lose his spot.

~Bang

Yeah, uh, not really. Assuming Garcon, Hankerson and Robinson are on the roster, in addition to Moss. And we only had 5 WRs on the roster for portions of 2013 (which makes sense with Niles Paul available), and the potential for a 6th WR to be more of a KR type, or a RB/WR hybrid. 

A young, talented developmental WR could very, very easily lose a roster spot to Moss.

Posted this in the FA thread ... but re-signing Tana would eliminate any chance of going FA WR and my bet would be that we use a 2nd or 3rd on a field-stretching WR to potentially groom as the #2 or a future #1 option ... then maybe going WR in the 5th or 6th in a slot mold (Dri Archer or Tevin Reese) who could go PS or be the 6th WR on the roster. No pressure on either to start day 1 and Tana has chemistry with Griff, so there would be a nice transition period, vs. throwing in a bunch of new WRs into the mix.

Yeah, uh, not really. Assuming Garcon, Hankerson and Robinson are on the roster, in addition to Moss. And we only had 5 WRs on the roster for portions of 2013 (which makes sense with Niles Paul available), and the potential for a 6th WR to be more of a KR type, or a RB/WR hybrid.

A young, talented developmental WR could very, very easily lose a roster spot to Moss.

I'd expect that if a young player displayed some talent (but needed development) the team would find a way to keep them - PS, taking Hankerson's spot after an injury settlement if he ain't ready, as a 6th wr or as a replacement for Robinson or Moss. It's not purely Moss vs talented (developmental) youth. I do get your point though, just don't think it's a big deal until we actually see said youngster on another team.

Let's go through this real quick if we sign Santana. Pierre #1, #2 open, #3 Hankerson, #4 Robinson, #5 Moss, #6 open. If we sign Moss, then we will most likely draft a Receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round. Unless we try to spend all of our cap money on Decker or Boldin, which won't happen. No other FA out there looks good in that #2 spot. Kelvin Benjamin needs some grooming, but he could definitely take over the #2 spot. He fits the type of Wide Receiver we need opposite of Garcon.

I'd expect that if a young player displayed some talent (but needed development) the team would find a way to keep them - PS, taking Hankerson's spot after an injury settlement if he ain't ready, as a 6th wr or as a replacement for Robinson or Moss. It's not purely Moss vs talented (developmental) youth. I do get your point though, just don't think it's a big deal until we actually see said youngster on another team.

To be clear, I think there could be a rationale behind signing Moss that makes sense (i.e.. Hankerson's injury or the team deciding the FA WR crop isn't where they want to spend their money), though it depends on the price- anything over $1mil is questionable, imo.

My point here is more of a general one. This is what we've seen for years here- bad teams that use roster spots on old and declining players rather than trying to develop young players with a potential for some long-term value. And fans justifying it by claiming all these vets will help young players will develop, in spite of the basic lack of said young talent in the first place.

Show me what Robinson has done to make his spot guaranteed?

He has not progressed as a route runner, his hands are not particularly good, he doesn't make plays on the ball. he's a one trick pony at this point, and it's a trick everyone knows.

Hankerson too, for that matter. I like his potential, but he's hurt too much. You can't say in February you can count on him.

Is Nick williams someone we're hoping develops? 

At this point, show me what Josh Morgan has done to be named #2 on our depth chart?

I get you can't have sentiment in sports,  but i don't see anything but hope that makes those guys any more valuable than Moss.

Hope that has yet to be realized.

Assuming we keep 6 receivers and Garcon is one, to have 5 young receivers to keep over the vet, we need  to find all 5. Nobody we currently have should be guaranteed anything.

~Bang

He has suspect hands. I don't think that has to do with age. He could hit all the routes, and was open for the most part. I don't doubt that he has still has some speed left in the tank. It is those crucial drops that I am worried about.

You're right his hands have nothing to do with his age. He still isn't as reliable as he used to be, and although he is still fast, his speed isn't what it used to be. I think resigning him for 1 year at the vet min. and using him as our #5 receiver wouldn't be a bad idea. All I was saying is don't do anything beyond one season, because he will be 35 years old.

My problem with Moss is he goes along with the flow of the team, if the team is playing well then Moss is playing well but when the team is bad then Moss is bad.  A veteran should be consistent like Garcon but Santana dropped so many passes last year he absolutely killed us and he doesn't deserve a spot on this team.  Its time to get rid of the weak and move on.

I'm fine with a 1 year deal for him. We're already going to have enough turnover at WR. It would be nice to draft a smaller "offensive weapon" type guy to learn the ropes for a year, return punts, and hopefully take over for Tana in 2 years.

cough, cough, Nick Williams fits the mold. 

Archived