Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How quickly do you want results from the new coach?(poll added)

RichmondRedskin88

101 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you give the new coach before you need to see real results?

• 1 year- The roster will be good and Griffin should be back to normal.
    • 2 years- The roster and coaching will need time but we need results year 2
    • 3 years- The roster needs serious work and the coaching staff needs a few years get things in place.
    • 4 years- The roster is disaster. The coaching needs to overhaul a lot and that will take years.
    • Give us a Super Bowl this year or we eat your soul.

How long do you give the new coach to start putting out winning results? Do you give him 4-5 years or are you looking for results early on? It's obvious some in the fan base want immediate results while others excercise patience. For me personally I edge around 3-4 years. Need big changes on the roster but now we have draft pick and salary to spend. I think 3rd and 4th (hopefully 2nd year)year we need to be performing at a good level definitely back to competing for the NFCE title(of course a part of this revolves around Grffin"a performance. Hopefully more.

Ideally, immediately. However, if things appear to be progressing and we simply need time to acquire the necessary talent, I'll be patient. I'll be concerned if we aren't contending for the division by 2016 though. 

The old-school rebuild that we did after the Super Bowl team seemed reasonable. We bottomed out in 1994 (3-13), improved in 1995 (6-10), and were on the cusp in 1996 (9-7). We just never had enough to push over the top. If we see a similar trend, I can handle 3 years. 

You want to see competence immediately.

I don't want to see coaches cost us a game.  I'm okay if it's a talent issue initially, but coaches shouldn't be costing us a game early in the process.  If coaches are making bad decisions or display bad clock management or challenge obvious plays (or don't) then we are in big trouble.

But that's basically it.  I don't mind being beat due to lack of talent, but I don't want to see us get outcoached or see a coach cost the team. 

We see that, I'm fine with the first year not being a playoff year.

Reid set the mark this season with KC.  If we don't start off 9-0, the dude should be fired :P

Seriously, I think Snyder has to show he's serious about being patient with a "non-rock star" coach and stick with him for at least three years.  That's not to say that we can't get results sooner, of course.  But I'm not going to freak out if we're sub-.500 this season. Now, in 2015, maybe 8-8 will be nice.

Saying that, its funny how expectations will be lower for a new guy.  If Shanny had been brought back, I think the cry would've been "playoffs or you're out!"

I honestly believe we are contending next year.

A healthy and hopefully motivated RG3 and a functional D and ST should be all we need to take this division depending on Chip's sophomore season (the Eagles will be picking later in the draft this year, they play a first place schedule as opposed to a last place schedule, and the league will have had a full year of studying Chip's offense and Nick Foles).

Also, I just don't see much out of the Giants and Cowboys next year (of course most would say that we didn't see much out of them this year either).

The way people talk around here, we need to contend next season or that coach is a failure. So yeah, next season.

Really, I don't care. I'll just watch the games expecting losses and be pleasantly surprised when we win a handful. This is what I've relegated myself to as a Redskins fan.

You want to see competence immediately.

I don't want to see coaches cost us a game.  I'm okay if it's a talent issue initially, but coaches shouldn't be costing us a game early in the process.  If coaches are making bad decisions or display bad clock management or challenge obvious plays (or don't) then we are in big trouble.

But that's basically it.  I don't mind being beat due to lack of talent, but I don't want to see us get outcoached or see a coach cost the team. 

We see that, I'm fine with the first year not being a playoff year.

This is what I was trying to say as well, but DC9 has a better vocabulary than me. :)

I remember Gibbs' return.  The first game against Tampa Bay was the most refreshing thing.  No stupid plays, run the ball, better execution, no alignment penalties, better effort, etc.

I don't think it's too much to ask for the same thing next year.  The second half of the season this year was about as bad as it could get across the board.

Well based on all the anti-Shanny arguments put forth, rebuilds do not require 4 years, let alone the 5 he asked for.

More along the lines of 2.

If it shows consistent growth in 4 years im fine with it. Shanny didn't even show that.  4-12/5-11 this year 7-9/9-7 the following year 12-4 the 3rd years

It depends what you mean by results. 

I want to see progress. Progress in terms of RGIIIs development as a rounded QB, progress in terms of defensive performance, basic competence on special teams ....That progress might not be measured in terms of won/loss in the first year (though if I am being honest I would find another 3 or 4 win year tough to swallow) but it will show up in terms of game plans, in game adjustments, players being prepared and disciplined. 

I actually think that with good coaching and a good offseason this team can be in the mix for what is a weak NFC East as soon as next year and certainly 2015 - but just progress in 2014 would be a good first step.

I don't think Bruce is looking for coach to do a full rebuilding plan because it doesn't work & we currently have enough players to look a whole lot better than 3-13. Long term rebuilding plan is ridiclous in the modern day NFL. Never worked with us.

I expect a win now or next year type of situation.

With the amount of needs and roster turnover about to occur, it isn't going to happen overnight. This isn't the 2011 49ers

We are not that far away from being a really good offense - though a lot depends on how RGIII develops with a full normal offseason. We have a potential franchise QB, pro bowl quality RB and WR, All Pro LT and a stud young pass catching TE. Add offensive line, stir in some power running as well as zone and allow to simmer.

Defense needs a lot of work - but say 3 key additions like a quality NT or DT, FS and CB along with competent defensive coaching and we can improve quickly on that side of the ball. Special teams needs gutting but thats easier to do than offense and defense.

With good front office work and coaching this team can get better quickly.

Shanahan took a 5-11 team with a rookie qb to the NFC east championship and had a massive cap penalty. A rookie head coach in Philly took the last place team in the NFC East to the division championship.

10 wins and NFC East crown is the baseline for year 1. Anything less is a failure.

Honestly.. I feel like we're not that far off. We've got too many of the key pieces in place, and too much cap space to use, to continue to struggle. I expect 8-8 next year minimum, or at the very least huge improvement in the product on the field. 

Right there with ya, a solid 8-8 is what I expect. There's too much in place, not to succeed as you pointed out.

Reid and Chip did a lot with less starting out than what we got.

Should happen quickly. This is the best roster any previous Redskins coach has been handed in a few decades and nothing is more significant than having a QB like Robert to work with. They'll also have a lot of cap space to get the guys that fit their system in here this offseason. The only negative is the missing first rounder.  

It's not all about the overall record to me... I just want us competing all the way into December for the division and/or a playoff spot. Had Mike stayed on, I would've had the same expectations. Like Bruce said, we saw what this team can do last season.    

Archived