Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

OC is tough because most of the good candidates would be lateral moves. No way would Briles or Shaw (though not a huge fan of Shaw) come to DC to be OC only so that eeliminates those types.

I guess my best option for OC at this moment would be Chud or Kubiak...although I'd really rather hire Norv before Kubiak. Honestly lost at OC.

That said. ..DC I have a definitive recommendation in Spanos or Gregg Williams.

As for ST's. ...I was wondering if Ed Orgeron was an option for most people's minds? Beyond that I couldn't tell you who might qualify beyond a bunch of failed coordinators with no bites on their bait-hook.

Coordinaters will solely depend on the new H.C., an experienced former NFL head coach will go one direction. A first time HC will lean a different direction. Let's defer this coversation until we have a new HC. A good mix of experience and energy that can teach and motivate, not asking for too much.

Kevin Greene should get a interview for the Vikings HC job. :P

Why would you take Kevin Greene over Winston Moss? I think Moss has way more experience in coaching.

Nah, I would take Moss in a heartbeat. Both guys did wonders for the Packers LBs

Coordinaters will solely depend on the new H.C., an experienced former NFL head coach will go one direction. A first time HC will lean a different direction. Let's defer this coversation until we have a new HC. A good mix of experience and energy that can teach and motivate, not asking for too much.

No, you're right. Don't want to take the Zorn route again. As for the 2nd part of your statement, this is just for fun.

I would LOVE to see Norv here calling plays for the offense.  He is such an offensive talent, an asset to any team he's on in terms of play calling.  Any of the defensive coordinators you mentioned are ok with me as well.  I'm actually getting a little excited about this even though I know not to be.  Typical cynical redskins fan.

Chud is interesting as an OC but there was a lot of talk that he was coaching for a HC position in 2012 and not to put his team in the best position for success.  That is something I would want Bruce and co. to really do their homework on.  The fact that a respected player like Steve Smith would go out and say that already speaks volumes to the way he was perceived by players.  In our current situation that may not be a good fit.

At DC I like Ray Horton and Wade Phillips.  Todd Bowles would make me very happy as well but I'm not sure he is going anywhere.

At OC Chris Ault is an interesting thought considering our heavy use of the Pistol.  Mike Shula is another guy that intrigues me though I don't see why Carolina would allow a lateral move without some sort of Assistant Head Coach tag.

It's kind of amusing seeing how many former Redskins coaches are being tossed around in the discussion, (Horton, Jackson, Lazor, Musgrave, etc.) considering the coaching turnover we've had over the 10+ years.  Seems like a lot of them have developed nicely throughout their careers after leaving Washington.

Sean McVay for Offensive coordinator.  Loved what he did with the TE unit.  Knows the passing principles of Kyle and could possibly relate better to RG3.  Wouldn't hesitate to use a 2 TE set on offense.  

I could totally get behind McVay as OC.  I would love to see Reed and Davis(or another te) out there together running routes.  Maybe if we upgrade the oline...

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Norv back to be OC.  Say what you want about the guy as a head coach but he can coach an offense.

As far as DC goes I'd like to see the Norv of defense Wade Phillips bring that attacking 34 to DC.  He wold have some added motivation sticking it to Jerry a couple times a season as well lol.  If Horton gets out of Cleveland we definitely should try to get him as well.  If we can't get those guys I would like to see Spanos get a shot.  He did good things with our lbs and deserves a shot.  Either of those three would make me happy.

If I chose guys who had experience with being a coordinator before it would be Chudzinski on offense and Horton on defense.

I'd rather have fresh faces that are positional coaches though, so my choices are Frank Reich on offense and Mark Carrier on defense.

Reich is currently the QB coach in San Diego. Previously worked as QB and WR coach in Indy (during the Manning years) and as a WR coach in Arizona.

Carrier was the Ravens DB coach from 2006-2009, the Jets D-Line coach from 2010-2011, and the Bengals DB coach from 2012- Present. Every defense he has been a positional coach on has finished 6th or better.

If your are talking  D.C Gregg Williams gets my vote. man has paid his debt, let"em coach. May not have had the #1 defense, but they had heart 

O.C  Greg Roman

I was on the Roman train for awhile, at least till I did some thorough searches, I did find this interesting:

Fans in San Francisco have been fairly critical of Roman throughout the season, even dating back to the final drive of last year's Super Bowl. However, the 49ers' recent success, paired with a willingness to utilize different schemes, has propelled Roman onto the coaching carousel. 

According to Feldman, Roman's reputation has continued to grow in coaching circles, even though he has no experience as a head coach. While a lead job has eluded him in the past, it only takes one patient team or university to finally give Roman the promotion he seeks. 

Although Roman has had his fair share of struggles in play-calling and clock management, it's difficult to assess just how much of that blame should fall on him. Teams will see Roman's work with former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith and the complete reversal to last year's read-option schemes with current starter ColinKaepernick. 

Roman isn't perfect, and he has been rightfully criticized for coaching the league's 30th-ranked passing attack. On the other end of the spectrum, however, his stability in the position has undoubtedly helped in the 49ers' rapid turnaround from bottom feeders to NFC champions. 

We do not have patient fans here in DC.

-Texas

I gotta disagree with the article.

I am neither here nor there on Roman.

And I think we should take fan opinion of their teams with a HUGE grain of salt.

Fans everywhere complain about their OCs and complain about clock management.

Literally every team even teams that have very good ones.

I am not sure why its 'right' to criticize Roman for having a 30th ranked passing attack.

Net passing yards isn't a very meaningful stat. It will tell how a team plays more then it about the quality of their passing game.

The offense is 11th in scoring, 3rd in rushing and have the 8th Yards Per Passing Attempt (which is a much more meaningful measure of the passing offense then yards).

Football Outsiders: ranks them as the 7th in offense: 4th ranking passing offense in the NFL and 14th rushing offense.

Compare that to a Lions team that is 3rd in passing yards

Yet 13th in scoring (below the 49ers)

11th in YPA (below the 49ers)

Football Outsiders: ranks the Lions 21st in offense: 16th in passing

I gotta admit, even though its highly doubtful, Gregg Williams for DC. The guy knows how to get the most out of his players.  With the current defensive line-up we have, there are a few pieces left to fill to make it a top 5 defense; laugh if you want, but its true, along with a new scheme. No more of this soft zone BS that always gets exploited, Williams would do wonders if the opportunity came.

I'm not familiar with Whisenhunt; isn't he more of a defensive guy? Not sure how that would work out if true, having Williams and Whisenhunt; oh crap, there I go again, dreaming.

Archived