Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

Whatever happened between Williams and Snyder/Gibbs at end of the Gibbs 2 era must have been pretty bad as it had been rumored forever that Williams was the next HC in waiting of the Redskins.  He was interviewed a multitude of times.....and ultimately we ended up with Zorn. 

Whatever happened then, do not think that it will lead to a reunion of Williams and the Redskins.  I would be happier with Phillips as DC anyway.....if we stay with a 3-4 D.

Additionally....these decisions should be left to the HC....so really depends on who is hired as HC as to who our coordinators will be. 

First off Whisenhunt is not coming here to be OC.  It is a lateral move and blah blah blah as has been discussed ad nauseum around here.  Also:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10246337/ken-whisenhunt-san-diego-chargers-offensive-coordinator-top-candidate-detroit-lions-head-coaching-position

Sources: Lions eye Ken Whisenhunt

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

The Detroit Lions' head coaching job is Ken Whisenhunt's to lose, sources close to the situation told ESPN.

Whisenhunt, the San Diego Chargers' offensive coordinator, and Lions general manager Martin Mayhew spent two seasons as teammates with the Washington Redskins in 1989 and 1990.

It makes a lot of sense that Ken Whisenhunt is considered the Lions' top choice, considering his history of helping quarterbacks improve, Michael Rothstein writes. Analysis

Those who worked with Whisenhunt in Arizona are convinced that the former Cardinals head coach is going to impress Lions ownership with his presentation.

Detroit already knows what Whisenhunt did to revive the careers of quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers.

The Lions would want Whisenhunt to have equally successful results with Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford, who threw 11 interceptions over his last six games this season.

Detroit's coaching wish list also includes Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, sources told ESPN. The Chargers posted a 27-10 victory over the Bengals in the AFC wild-card round Sunday in Cincinnati.

The Lions cannot hire Whisenhunt until after the Chargers' season is over. San Diego will play the Denver Broncos next weekend in the divisional round.

Whisenhunt, 51, went 45-51 in six seasons with Arizona, coaching the Cardinals to the only Super Bowl appearance in franchise history following the 2008 season.

After being fired by the Cardinals after last season, Whisenhunt spent this season with the Chargers, who reached the playoffs thanks largely to Rivers' comeback season.

The 32-year-old Rivers struggled over the last two years but was outstanding this season, finishing among the top five in the NFL in passing yards, touchdowns and quarterback rating.

The Lions are seeking a replacement for Jim Schwartz, who was fired Monday following a late-season collapse during which Detroit lost six of its last seven games.

Schwartz went 7-9 this season and 29-51 overall in five years with the Lions.

I would like to see Whisenhunt get an interview with us for our HC position, but there is another thread for that :D

How can Whiz be their guy if they haven't interviewed him yet? Doesn't that just make a mockery of the Rooney Rule if they publicly state who they already want?

Well the Rooney Rule is always made a mockery of.  Doesn't matter since we adhered to the Rooney rule.

How can Whiz be their guy if they haven't interviewed him yet? Doesn't that just make a mockery of the Rooney Rule if they publicly state who they already want?

First off, it's a rumor. There are no rules that pertain to what rumors or leaks can be out in the media. Secondly, they already interviewed Caldwell.

I could totally get behind McVay as OC.  I would love to see Reed and Davis(or another te) out there together running routes.  Maybe if we upgrade the oline...

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Norv back to be OC.  Say what you want about the guy as a head coach but he can coach an offense.

As far as DC goes I'd like to see the Norv of defense Wade Phillips bring that attacking 34 to DC.  He wold have some added motivation sticking it to Jerry a couple times a season as well lol.  If Horton gets out of Cleveland we definitely should try to get him as well.  If we can't get those guys I would like to see Spanos get a shot.  He did good things with our lbs and deserves a shot.  Either of those three would make me happy.

I think Horton coached here once before if I'm not mistaken.  As did Spanos and he won't want to replace Haslett.  Wade Phillips doesn't strike me as the type to hold a grudge against anyone.  Norv would make a great OC for us but he certainly has a grudge against Snyder.  So count him out.  

Our coordinators will be significantly more important than our HC when it comes to our success. I hope that whoever is brought in is not the product of nepotism. Bruce Allen needs to make sure that a short list of 'approved' coordinator and position coach candidates is provided to the new HC.

I mentioned in the Caldwell thread that Tom Moore would be a great choice for OC. If I was a skins fan he'd be at the top of my list. I believe he's currently an advisor to Bruce Arians in Arizona. I know many skins fans favor more of a "new age" OC, but Moore is an extremely well respected veteran coach that is so old he wouldnt be leaving to be a HC after one good season. He's ran and designed successful offensive systems (so he's proven) and they are QB centric. He's a "teacher / mentor" type that would be perfect for RGIIl and he doesn't have a set system - he tailors the offense to the players he has (like most good coaches). IMO the skins can't afford to miss at this point. They need a proven commodity and, IMO, you can't hardly be more proven or successful than Moore. And he's not a coordinator now only because he retired due to health reasons he says are resolved.

I don't really see how a candidate can be mentioned without having a head coach in place. Reminds me of Zorn.

OC or DC has to mesh with the HC, so an answer would be contingent upon who we hired.

If it's Gruden, I'll take Wade or Horton as DC.

If it's Zim, I'll take Hue Jackson as OC.

Also, reading this thread, GW has put it out there that he would want to come back here, so has Danny Smith. Snyder wasn't the reason either of those guys left. Vinny and Shanny were. Reports I've seen have said Norv and Dan don't have issues anymore. Would be kind of odd to turn down a job based on something from over a decade ago when both parties have changed a lot since then.

Please tell me the fascination with Wade Phillips for DC? Fans in Houston pray to God he leaves town. He took a good defense in 2012 and don't know wtf he did in 2013.

He turned around a bad Houston defense into a top defense in the league. This year was a down year, but the poor offensive performance did help that.

He also managed pretty decent defenses while in Dallas

He plays an aggressive one gap 3-4 that some think would play to the strengths of our players.

If we end up with freaking haslet as DC then I'm massively negative on this hire

The offense was the only mild positive out of last year....so you get rid of the offense and keep the crappy defense. Makes perfect sense

Archived