Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

I am starting to wonder about Cooley's schizophrenic takes on Ashburn.

I question his relationships with Rex/Kyle.

Cooley gets paid by Snyder and is a part of the pregame show with Larry Michael on NBC each Saturday where Mike Shanahan gets scripted softball questions and only the good plays from the previous week are shown.  I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

The defense (without Orakpo and Merriweather and less healthy than this year) raised its level of play to be at least an average unit during the 7 game win streak last year.

Motivation and playing with a chip on one's shoulder can go a long way.

There were playoffs still on the table though, even at 3-6.  

I actaully feel worse then the Zorn/Vinny days, and I did not think there was a lower point in my fandom to this team, but Shanny has found it.

I feel really bad for RGIII and Kirk, being stuck in the middle of this game. Please Synder just pay the man 7million and get this over with.

At this point I rather have no coach at all.

This is much worse.  Zorn was just in way over his head and Vinny was an idiot.  What we are currently witnessing is a madman destroying our franchise on purpose so he can get fired and collect millions of dollars. 

Why would the O-line, whose job is most predicated on Shanahan's offensive scheme, fight harder for Cousins than RG3 to stick it to Shanahan?  Again, where is the logic here?

The team stinks.  The coaching stinks.  Everyone is part of the problem.  But let's at least try to make sense discussing things.

I just remember how the offensive line majestically improved for Todd Collins in 2007, with the same players and scheme, then it did for Jason Campbell.

They may just be motivated to give Cousins a fighting chance as they see him as not getting preferential treatment.

Reality is this, had RGIII been playing good we would not be having this discussion.  As stated above, he is having a hard time running this offense.  If you watched the 49ers game, you would have heard Chris Collinsworth (as Cooley) say the same thing, he is missing wide open receivers, he is not looking at throwing the ball, he does not look up to extend plays, he runs without looking down field.

He has missed an offseason, but that continues to be an excuse and it gets old.  The first 4 games, everyone said, this is really his preseason, then game 5,6,7,8,9, etc and there were other excuses as to why wasn't playing well.   Everyone is blaming Kyle for this, but, honestly, how many times have you watched plays and seen how many open receivers he didn't see or how many times has he made bad throws to wide open receivers.  He has regressed and it may take the offseason for his mind to get right and focus on playing QB instead of buddying up with the owner or getting his face out there on new commercials!

I am hoping he comes back like Cam did, Cam's rookie season came so easliy to him, he forgot he needed to improve, now, in his third year, he looks much better.  Maybe, this is a blessing in disquise as Robert can now focus his time on getting better.

How can one not at least accept health concerns as part of the reason. How many hits has be taken this season? How good is the right side of the line?  If RGIII played and got injured on a sack, y'all would be yelling louder than you are now-if that's possible. Damned if you do.....

I've been questioning the right side since last season. This is the source of RG3's problems.

ESPN mentioned that RG3 has been sacked 24 times in the last 5 games. Imagine the stat on the hits in general that RG3 has been taking. I can't see how this can be all RG3's fault. It's not uncommon for a young QB to loose confidence and regress. 

Reality is this, had RGIII been playing good we would not be having this discussion.  As stated above, he is having a hard time running this offense.  If you watched the 49ers game, you would have heard Chris Collinsworth (as Cooley) say the same thing, he is missing wide open receivers, he is not looking at throwing the ball, he does not look up to extend plays, he runs without looking down field.

He has missed an offseason, but that continues to be an excuse and it gets old.  The first 4 games, everyone said, this is really his preseason, then game 5,6,7,8,9, etc and there were other excuses as to why wasn't playing well.   Everyone is blaming Kyle for this, but, honestly, how many times have you watched plays and seen how many open receivers he didn't see or how many times has he made bad throws to wide open receivers.  He has regressed and it may take the offseason for his mind to get right and focus on playing QB instead of buddying up with the owner or getting his face out there on new commercials!

I am hoping he comes back like Cam did, Cam's rookie season came so easliy to him, he forgot he needed to improve, now, in his third year, he looks much better.  Maybe, this is a blessing in disquise as Robert can now focus his time on getting better.

They didn't bench Cam last year.

Prepare to snap.

Yep, I'm assuming with a different type of QB we're going to see a different type of offense. 

I like the move btw. How ****ty would we all feel if RGIII blew out a knee in one of these last three worthless games of the season? No need to risk any injury to him behind this LW offensive line. Start Cousins, maybe we can up his trade value (or my god, the unthinkable...) maybe he'll perform exceptionally well and create a nice DC QB controversy to keep us busy in the offseason, along with who the new coach will be, who/what we can do in the draft, how we approach FA, etc. 

All I know is next season's team is going to look a LOT different than this season's team. And that's not a bad thing.

You know what's even more brilliant? Waiting until 3 games are left.

Why?

Typically it takes about 4 weeks of film for a defense to catch-up to new tendencies.

The defense over the next 3 games are weak, Atlanta, Dallas and the Giants (against who Griffin was 16/17 w/1 TD in the first half, terrible right?)  lol this is CRAZY

Britt McHenry ‏@BrittMcHenry 2m

Shanahan told team this due to health of #rg3, but I've also heard the line "best chance to win" in convos today regarding QB move.

The line came from Shanahan.  It was a slip, honest or not.  In Shanahan's press conference on Monday, he focused 100% on the possibility of sitting Griffin to avoid injury.  Until, at the very end of the event, he said with a sneer on his face that he is going to make the decision to give us the best chance to win.  And, he walked off the stage.

In other words, Shanahan held the line as long as he could and then the truth slipped.  This is reason enough to get rid of Shanahan.  You can't believe anything he says.  He has an anger control problem, and is vindictive.  Just look at the ways he has managed other players during his time here.  Griffin will take a lot of hits on this, but Shanahan has proven himself unworthy.  The focus should be on Shanahan. 

Don't forget.  In the playoffs last year, it was obvious when Griffin was injured.  We were up 14 - 0.  We in the stands were yelling at Shanahan to put in Cousins for at least a series or two.  We were up 14, so Cousins couldn't lose the game in a couple of series.  Instead, Shanahan showed no leadership nor guts, led the team to a pathetic loss, left Griffin out to hang, and then threw Griffin under the bus.  And, too many people let him get away with it.  Shanahan was irresponsible. 

And, then, evidently Shanahan changed his mind and did not resign.  Why?  Because he maybe thought he was done with Griffin?  And now, Shanhan will try to resurrect his reputation on the back of Griffin again.  Good luck, Shanahan.     

Cosell just on Cowherd. Just passing this along and will use exact words so as not to exaggerate.

Colin asked about our situation and the benching-// he did not get real deep into it. He said the redskins don't run a pro offense, they run a college offense. He then said, "RG3 needs a lot of work as a pocket passer."

Just trying to add to the discussion someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight unlike Cooley perhaps. He did not weigh in on whether he thought it was the right move to make a switch.

Archived