Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Can't wait to watch Cousins stink it up too. Everyone blames RG3 but take a look at how bad the o-line is, how bad the defense is, how bad special teams is, the lack of depth at WR.

Exactly. Sure, RG3 has not played well this season, no disputing that. But he is FAR from the reason we're 3-10. Our defense is giving up 30+ points a game and according to PFF, we have the 4th worst Special Teams of ALL-TIME! But somehow Cousins is going to come in and make the defense and special teams play better.

Can't wait to watch Cousins stink it up too. Everyone blames RG3 but take a look at how bad the o-line is, how bad the defense is, how bad special teams is, the lack of depth at WR.

I want Cousins to do well. He should,  he will be going against subpar defenses. Nothing good is going to come from this either way though.

In my over 40 years as a fan of the Redskins fan this is the most disgust an hatred I have had for any person affiliated with this organization ever. Never dreamed I would think that Vinny is really not even a blip on the radar compared to this SOB who in the past I have defended. I don't hate much in life......just snakes, mosquitos and Shanahan's!!!

I am right there with you. Im starting to wonder how far the apple falls from the tree.

Pisses me off more that Mcnabb was right too. Geez Shanny you suck

Lots of posts here, try reading a few, but wanted to ask ... 

Is there sentiment that starting Cousins is a good thing? RG3 should just suck it up, he had his chance, etc.?

Just my .02, I feel rotten about the fact that Cousins might start ... I think it might do irreparable damage to Robert, one by him missing out on the actual snaps, but two, he is going to feel undermined. 

Honeslty, Cousins starting might the worst thing ever to happen to the Skins. 

First time I've heard of benching your QB out of spite.  What a clown.

And what is this talk that somehow Griffin has been playing so poorly that a benching is warranted for performance reasons?  He actually played a good game and graded out very well against the Giants.  So, he gets benched because of one bad game, in which the whole team laid an egg.

Let's not get the narrative twisted.

Exactly. Sure, RG3 has not played well this season, no disputing that. But he is FAR from the reason we're 3-10. Our defense is giving up 30+ points a game and according to PFF, we have the 4th worst Special Teams of ALL-TIME! But somehow Cousins is going to come in and make the defense and special teams play better.

Cousins is going in so RG3 doesn't get hurt so he's healthy going into the offseason remember that's what Shanahan said.

As Redskins coach Mike Shanahan continues to agitate his way out of D.C. while inviting further scrutiny of a track record that includes only one playoff victory in 15 years since winning a pair of Elway-and-cap-violations-fueled Super Bowls, reports that Kirk Cousins will get the start at quarterback on Sunday is merely the first step…

link:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/the-griffin-cousins-fun-is-only-beginning/

Is there sentiment that starting Cousins is a good thing? RG3 should just suck it up, he had his chance, etc.?

Just my .02, I feel rotten about the fact that Cousins might start ... I think it might do irreparable damage to Robert, one by him missing out on the actual snaps, but two, he is going to feel undermined. 

I don't really see how it does anything for RG3. IF, big if, Shany is back next year, would this effect their relationship? Sounds rocky already and this certainly doesn't help. Wouldn't this also knock down RG3's confidence? I just don't see where any good for RG3 comes from this.

Also, what happens if Kirk bombs? Then he loses what trade value he had. What if Kirk goes nuts? Then we have this crazy QB controversy all offseason and into the beginning of next year. There is ZERO upside to any of this for the franchise and players.

I'm not going to root against Cousins.  Don't be that guy.  Cousins is a good dude and I want to see him do well.  It's not Cousins fault that Mike Shanahan is an asshole.

So you'll look forward to and gain satisfaction from Cousins performing poorly?  

Well, would you want to see what Shanahan is doing be vindicated in some way, even if it was practically meaningless?

I like Kirk and I think he is in an impossible situation.  I can't say at this point I wan't anything that Mike is doing at this point to work.  It seems devised with only the intention of poisoning the organization before he gets out.

Well, would you want to see what Shanahan is doing be vindicated in some way, even if it was practically meaningless?

I like Kirk and I think he is in an impossible situation.  I can't say at this point I wan't anything that Mike is doing at this point to work.  It seems devised with only the intention of poisoning the organization before he gets out.

I kind of agree.

I like Cousins and I'm not rooting against him, but I am definitely rooting against Shannahan at this point.

I don't really see how it does anything for RG3. IF, big if, Shany is back next year, would this effect their relationship? Sounds rocky already and this certainly doesn't help. Wouldn't this also knock down RG3's confidence? I just don't see where any good for RG3 comes from this.

Also, what happens if Kirk bombs? Then he loses what trade value he had. What if Kirk goes nuts? Then we have this crazy QB controversy all offseason and into the beginning of next year. There is ZERO upside to any of this for the franchise and players.

I agree 100% ... did you think I was pro-starting Kirk? 

I was just wondering out of all these posts what most were saying, I have not been able to go through all of them, I'm just now getting on this thread. 

I actaully feel worse then the Zorn/Vinny days, and I did not think there was a lower point in my fandom to this team, but Shanny has found it.

I feel really bad for RGIII and Kirk, being stuck in the middle of this game. Please Synder just pay the man 7million and get this over with.

At this point I rather have no coach at all.

So you'll look forward to and gain satisfaction from Cousins performing poorly?  

No. Of course not, it's just that a lot of people make it seem like it's all RG3's fault. When that o-line puts pressure on Cousins, when the WR's don't get open, when the defense and special teams give up massive amounts of yards, will people blame Cousins as well? I think Cousins will play poorly because of the team around him. He already has the few times when he as come in. QB is not the main issue. Yes, RG3 has made mistakes but what QB hasn't?

For me, it's only a bad thing for the ramifications and added drama it causes that goes beyond football.  For on-the-field football reasons, I have no problem with seeing him play.  

I don't blame Kirk at all. It's not his fault.

Somebody used the term earlier, he's just an innocent pawn in Shanahan's game, I hope people don't turn on Cousins who's really just minding his own business.  There's surely gonna be some people rooting for Cousins to fail.

First of all I want to say I believe that RIII has more raw talent that most players at the QB position and his age gives even more hope that he will learn to be a pocket passer, he has never worked in an NFL system in his college career.

That said I think this move is overdue frankly and it will help analyse this teams needs and strengths while resting RGIII and allowing him to continue to gain confidence about the stability of his legs ( the reason in my opinion why his accuracy has been so erratic ).

It will allow us to see what Kirk can do with a full week of snaps with the 1st team, better evaluate the weaknesses on the OL, WR not to mention the quality and potential of KC's play.

I would suspect with the recent roster moves that we will see more of the backups and younger players on the roster to better evaluate what we have going forward into the offseason.

It will tell more about whether or not Shanhan has lost the team and more will reveal itself as the truth about recent rumors and controversy about special treatment or whether these are all just rumors designed to let Shanhan off the hook, so he can "get paid" while leaving this franchise in taters.

The truth will out and according to Cofield whom I find a very credible person, hard worker with a serious atitude with nothing to gain by his testimony when he says he has never witnessed any preferencial treatment of RGIII which makes a dubious claim by Shanahan even more suspect in my opinion. I followed RGIII before the draft and hoped we could get him on this team. I never expected it would come at such a cost but I still believe he is the answer.

That is not to say that I don't also think that this team should have an equally valuable back up quarterback and to be able to better see if KC is that guy will help alot in shaping this team for the future.

This is a good thing for so many rational reasons.

Archived