Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Is Shanny vindicated if Cousins comes in leading us to a three game win streak while posting great numbers?

If that's the case Shanny should stay, because it will be clear rg3 was holding us back.

No - because if that's the case the move should have been made much earlier and could have won us the division - especially if we beat Dallas while they are in the playoff hunt and we are just playing for pride.

If Shanahan were a true leader, he would have stood up against Snyder much earlier rather than releasing press leaks.

While the main problem is Snyder - still think Shanahan is lame-duck at this point in terms of leadership.

Is Shanny vindicated if Cousins comes in leading us to a three game win streak while posting great numbers?

Nope. ROTY his 1st year and was inconsistent his 2nd year. Cousins is going against 2 teams that are already out of playoff contention and all 3 teams have mediocre to poor pass defenses. Cousins will do pretty well, we'll still lose, and regardless none of it matters.

Rememeber this:

ASHBURN, Va. -- Donovan McNabb to second-string. Then to third-string. Then no guarantee that he'll be back next season.

Maybe he's no John Elway after all.

The ever-dramatic Washington Redskins upset the NFL apple cart once again Friday when coach Mike Shanahan announced Rex Grossman as his starter for the rest of the season, beginning with Sunday's game at Dallas.

McNabb will be the No. 2 quarterback against the Cowboys, then drop to No. 3 behind Grossman and John Beck for the final two games of the season.

So I wonder if this is the same speach he gave Robert ???

"I've got to find where Rex Grossman is, where John Beck is. I want a chance to evaluate these guys," Shanahan said. "I told Donovan that there's nothing he could do in the three games that would influence me over what he's done over the last 13 games. I said, 'I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the college draft, if we're able to get the top quarterback in the draft, if there was a young Donovan McNabb or maybe a Sam Bradford, someone like that.' There's a lot of possibilities."

Funny that it almost exactly three years later.............

I think Shanny is weasel. A rat. A fraud. A disaster.

I also think he truly thinks Kirk gives the team a better chance to win and he couldn't come up with any way of saying that without looking like a failure as a coach and GM.

He is now hoping Kirk wins three in a row and gives him an excuse for losing -- that RG3 was holding the team back.

What a circus. I feel bad for every player involved, especially both our QBs, who are far from veterans.

Unless Cousins also plays defense and special teams this team is not winning 3 straight. Getting lost in all this mess with RGIII is it's the defense and special teams that have really hurt us this year and for the whole of Shanahans time as HC.

I remember reading a story about how Mike Shanahan got his backup quarterback to try and peg Al Davis in the face with a football during warmups one time because of Mike's sheer hatred for Al and what happened between him and the Raiders.

I remember thinking "there's no ****ing way in hell Joe Gibbs would have ever done anything remotely like that."

Oh well.

If that's the case Shanny should stay, because it will be clear rg3 was holding us back.

Great numbers against three upcoming 3 are meaningless. Completely meaningless. All it will do is mess up our draft order at this point and create a QB controversy. An apples to apples comparison is the only way to compare them fairly.

He looked very accurate against the Giants and was going through long progressions.  So I disagree with that.  He looked like crap in a blizzard in which the entire team struggled.  But c'mon.

Accurate on mainly short throws.  I think balls in the air was mostly of the 5-10 yard variety.   In totality of all 13 games he's played this year, I think it's not even close.  

Daniel Snyder should release a statement stating that he backs this decision.

By keeping quiet, he comes off as a brooding owner counting the days until the end of the regular season. The media knows Snyder is quietly displeased, and they've pretty much figured out that he won't intervene, so why doesn't Snyder up the ante and publically back the head coach's decision on this? This will confuse the media, make Shanahan look like a doofus, and shine a more impressionable light on the owner.

I bet we win our last 3 games. The three remaining Defenses are prolifically bad. Why shammy chooses to bench Robert now as opposed to last week or even week 11 or 12? You think things are bad now , just wait.

I don't care how bad the opposing defenses are - unless their offense and special teams don't get off the bus we are still screwed.

The plan was to trade all his draft picks for RG3, play RG3 for one year and go to the playoffs, get RG3's knee torn up, and then with three games to go in 2014, bench him? That makes no sense.No, this wasn't the plan.  This is a coach trying to be a dick to the owner, trying desperately to get fired so he can collect his 7 million next year, and not giving a **** about his players or their reputations.

I still don't believe for a second he was 100% commited to RGIII. If he was he would not have drafted Cousins. And I don't believe for a second he was all that disappointed when RGIII got hurt last year.

I may be the only one mildly excited to watch Cousins play. We've seen enough RG3 and there really is no point in risking anything freakish over the next several games. The good thing is that RG3 now doesn't look bad and players won't think he's getting special treatment.

Rg3 is far and away the only hope this team has at being competitive. I would rather he not waste time playing for a coaching staff who has lost interest in being here.

Ride out the clown show for the next three games and start new. I'm really not bothered by this.

I agree. By sitting RGIII, Shanny has basically taken all the blame off of him and made it a two man show, him and Snyder. He cant say (or imply) Griff is the problem anymore.

I bet we win our last 3 games. The three remaining Defenses are prolifically bad. Why shammy chooses to bench Robert now as opposed to last week or even week 11 or 12? You think things are bad now , just wait.

I swear to god, if we see a new offense with 3 WR sets, bootlegs, and a stretch offense I'm gonna snap.

I have a feeling the team, particularly the offensive line, will fight harder for Cousins than RGIII these last few games.  Mostly to stick it to Shanahan, who quit on them once again and who they obviously have to see as a lame duck coach at best.

Why would the O-line, whose job is most predicated on Shanahan's offensive scheme, fight harder for Cousins than RG3 to stick it to Shanahan?  Again, where is the logic here?

The team stinks.  The coaching stinks.  Everyone is part of the problem.  But let's at least try to make sense discussing things.

Daniel Snyder should release a statement stating that he backs this decision. By keeping quiet, he comes off as a brooding owner counting the days until the end of the regular season. The media knows Snyder is quietly displeased, and they've pretty much figured out that he won't intervene, so why doesn't Snyder up the ante and publically back the head coach's decision on this? This will confuse the media, make Shanahan look like a doofus, and shine a more impressionable light on the owner.

Snyder shouldn't say a thing. He's doing it exactly the right way.

Unless Cousins also plays defense and special teams this team is not winning 3 straight. Getting lost in all this mess with RGIII is it's the defense and special teams that have really hurt us this year and for the whole of Shanahans time as HC.

The defense (without Orakpo and Merriweather and less healthy than this year) raised its level of play to be at least an average unit during the 7 game win streak last year.

Motivation and playing with a chip on one's shoulder can go a long way.

How can one not at least accept health concerns as part of the reason. How many hits has be taken this season? How good is the right side of the line?  If RGIII played and got injured on a sack, y'all would be yelling louder than you are now-if that's possible. Damned if you do.....

So he basically he just shouldn't ever play if the team has a pass rush.  Except the Falcons really don't have a pass rush at all.  

Shanny is doing this as a big F you to Snyder and the rest of the organization. It's obvious he's trying to save face for not only himself, but his son.

Even if he's regressing, who's fault is that? Are you telling me this kid, who is as smart as they come, can't learn this offense? Even without the off-season, he needs the reps now...especially since we're playing horrible defenses these last 3 games.

If I'm RG3 I use this as a huge boulder on my shoulder next year to say "F you" back to Shanny and Son.

Archived