Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Cousins is going in so RG3 doesn't get hurt so he's healthy going into the offseason remember that's what Shanahan said.

So I wonder what will happen if Kirk sustains a major injury?

I don't think that is in the teams best interest either.

If we are shutting down RG3 for sake of injury we should just Release The Dragon and have Kirk still the backup.

I agree 100% ... did you think I was pro-starting Kirk? 

I was just wondering out of all these posts what most were saying, I have not been able to go through all of them, I'm just now getting on this thread. 

Sorry it came out that way. I was just speaking in general. I just don't see any upside to this at all. For the team, RG3, or Kirk. Nothing good can come of this.

First of all I want to say I believe that RIII has more raw talent that most players at the QB position and his age gives even more hope that he will learn to be a pocket passer, he has never worked in an NFL system in his college career.

That said I think this move is overdue frankly and it will help analyse this teams needs and strengths while resting RGIII and allowing him to continue to gain confidence about the stability of his legs ( the reason in my opinion why his accuracy has been so erratic ).

It will allow us to see what Kirk can do with a full week of snaps with the 1st team, better evaluate the weaknesses on the OL, WR not to mention the quality and potential of KC's play.

I would suspect with the recent roster moves that we will see more of the backups and younger players on the roster to better evaluate what we have going forward into the offseason.

It will tell more about whether or not Shanhan has lost the team and more will reveal itself as the truth about recent rumors and controversy about special treatment or whether these are all just rumors designed to let Shanhan off the hook, so he can "get paid" while leaving this franchise in taters.

The truth will out and according to Cofield whom I find a very credible person, hard worker with a serious atitude with nothing to gain by his testimony when he says he has never witnessed any preferencial treatment of RGIII which makes a dubious claim by Shanahan even more suspect in my opinion. I followed RGIII before the draft and hoped we could get him on this team. I never expected it would come at such a cost but I still believe he is the answer.

That is not to say that I don't also think that this team should have an equally valuable back up quarterback and to be able to better see if KC is that guy will help alot in shaping this team for the future.

This is a good thing for so many rational reasons.

Yes but the reason for it being done is not to evaluate Cousins. It's Mike trying to force Dans hand. Mike could careless about Cousins.

Exactly. Sure, RG3 has not played well this season, no disputing that. But he is FAR from the reason we're 3-10. Our defense is giving up 30+ points a game and according to PFF, we have the 4th worst Special Teams of ALL-TIME! But somehow Cousins is going to come in and make the defense and special teams play better.

I want to find footage of the 3 teams who apparently had even worse special teams.  My God.

More leaks:

Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington 1m

Redskins players have been told Rex Grossman will backup Kirk Cousins on Sunday -- and Robert Griffin III will be inactive.

this at least makes it appear they're not benching him for bad performance but just shutting it down for the year. Does anyone know if they benched/inactivated Cam at any point last year?

That's different, that's an opinion of what someone is seeing, rather than rooting for him ahead of time to continue to go out and be bad.  

Do you really think some of the posters in the gamethread don't take some satisfaction anytime he makes a bad throw? If you don't see it then fine, but good lord its like they're salivating for it

What gets me is when he says "I didn't have the team prepared, that's on me."  It seemed more defiance than remorse.  If you can't/won't prepare the team, and you aren't even sorry about it, why the hell are you still our coach?

Mike Shanahan's attitude is a cancer that needs to be removed as fast as possible.

@therichturpin so, he's the only person of importance on this team, and why aren't others being benched?

Retweeted by HTTR24-7.com

This is what I have been saying. You can't rationally sit there and act like this is for his health next offseason when other strong building blocks are going to be playing that we will need next year as well. Bench them all if that is the logic. 

By not benching them, he is giving RG3 the "special treatment" he was so upset about in the first place. 

Obviously, this has nothing to do with the health of anyone..well except the mental health level of MS. 

Scorched earth tactics from Shanahan.

He's doing this to destroy any trade value Cousins may have.

At some point maybe the league needs to step in and do something. Purposely destroying a team, be it Snyder or Shanahan..  this is bad for the entire league.

~Bang

At least have the guts to say he's being benched for poor for performance, Shanahan is such a ****ing coward.

Our only hope in this situation is if the team rises its level of play for Kirk the way it did for Todd Collins back in 07 once we benched Campbell.  

I'm convinced the 7 game win streak last year wasn't due to Shanahan's positive influence, but rather to prove him wrong after he publicly quit on the season.

Check this out from Mike Freeman's piece. #RedskinsHTTR24_7

@"Second: Griffin's
passing skill, scouts believe, has improved as dramatically as his ability to run has declined. Don't look at the stats, scouts say, look at the form. "It's incredible how much he's improved," said one scout. "If this continues, and I think it will, he could be one of the game's best passers."

So, the next coach may be getting a player who is totally different than the one who bedazzled the NFL last season. That coach may get a player with reduced speed and cutting ability but who is a far better pocket passer than people know.

The coach will get more Andrew Luck than Russell Wilson.

Scouts believe Griffin will have to play in a different offense than the one he's in now. Far less read-option and far more pro style, where Griffin does a helluva lot more drop-back passing."

link:http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rtchhd

http://tl.gd/n_1rtchhd

Archived