Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

The ball should be in the air when the receiver is 12-15 yards down the field, which would be 2-2.5 seconds after the snap of the ball.  Nobody said anything about the receiver running 20 yards in 2.5 seconds.  The ball should be let go in around 2.5 seconds, and eventually hit the receiver when he's 20-30 yards down the field.  More specifically, the QB should hit the back step of his 7 step drop, take a shuffle forward, and then enter his throwing motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZq4oGE68I

http://stopwatch.onlineclock.net/

Time it. I got about 3.8 seconds average after doing it a few times. And that was a perfectly thrown ball that came out exactly when it was supposed to. And Robinson is a 4.4 guy so its not like RG3 has to wait a long time for him.

Zarraro buddy you make way too much sense for the RGIII of death fans in this site.  The bottom line is you are risking RGIII if you play him in these meaningless games and he really can't learn much since its obvious the team has quit.  But you see what if KC comes in and actually plays well from the pocket?  What if God forbid wins?  Oh boy you will see a sea of excuses in here because the RGIII fan club can't fathom that maybe just maybe RGIII has seriously regressed the past 5 weeks.

I hope Cousins does come in and play well. Won't see any excuses from me and im a huge griffin fan. It's obvious he doesn't have it this season, let him get to work on the fundamentals starting today for next year without the threat of being mauled. If he wasnt coming off a second knee surgery id want him out there, but he is and the season is over. I'd also like to see Morris, Williams, Reed and Garçon sat down as well honestly.

Force Snyder's hand? Who cares who starts?  This team has given up.  I wouldn't mind if Rex starts.

Am I the only one that agrees benching RG3 is the right decision.  He's playing poorly, making terrible decisions, and getting the hell beat out of him.  The team is going nowhere and is putting zero effort beyond a few players.  Go ahead and sit him, let RG3 sit and save some face.

I'd love nothing more than for Kirk Cousins to go 3-0, and we can recoup a 1st or 2nd for him, while RGIII gets humbled.

However, I haven't seen much from Cousins this year to indicate that will happen.

I think that after the Cassel and Flynn debacles teams are going to be much more wary of giving up a high pick for a guy who looked good for a few games. If he looks really good we MIGHT be able to get a 2nd for him but that still could be pushing it. There are plenty of guys who have looked great for short stretches and then ended up being poop down the road. Not saying Cousins will be that way, but teams have to think about the possibility before pulling the trigger.

I don't know bro.. 

1.Shanahan laid down the gauntlet with leaving open benching Robert. If Dan fires Mike today it looks like he did so to protect Robert or Robert went and complained to the owner. This validates Mike Shanahan leaking the "Owner/RG3" story to Graziano.

2. Snyder sits on his hands and waits Mike out- You invite drama & a controversy into a situation that doesn't need anymore drama. Mike has said for 4 years he wouldn't talk about things in the media until he spoke to the player first. Yesterday he said screw that and talked about a lot in the media without talking to the player. 

3. Shanny has never really went after active players in the media.. Yesterday he was eating his own in front of the microphone. He hasn't thrown Burns under the bus all season, Hell we even had a player that tried to fight K.Burns at practice about 7 weeks ago. Yesterday Mike went after Rocca,Forbath, and even his pet project in Niles Paul. I mean the double talk was on full blast..

Shanahan on PR McCluster's 8 returns, 174 yds, TD: "I'm not blaming it on our kickers...but our gameplan was never to kick it to him."

4. Shanny sits Rob & plays Cousins.. The offense will change to try and save for himself and his son as they prepare to find a job. I think Cousins will have some success but at the end of the day he is just a guy. Backup QB's come in all the time and play well for a 3 game stretch until defenses get film on the guy and adjust. How many games are left? So it's a win win for shanny on the surface, he can passs blame and point to other issues in DC when he's job hunting, but its smoke and mirrors. 

His job was to build a competent NFL OL to protect the QB while you develop him into a true franchise passer. He failed in doing this because he was more focused on winning in the short term vs developing for the long run.  

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that your #1 was off the table. Do you think Shanahan is still potentially fired prior to the Atlanta game? I suppose he's not really safe until Wednesday when preparation for Sunday begins, but I figured it had to happen yesterday for it to happen this week.

Funny how many people with to from "Death to Synder" to "Death to Shannahan" in 5 minute stretch... I don't buy that this is Mike Shanahan running a game to get fired.. Not for a single second.  I very well believe that this could be Synder doing the "leaking" to make Shanahan look like an idiot and to take the focus off him for firing Mike Shanahan and company to protect RGIII. Or it could be completely true material that Mike Shanahan isn't disputing because its true, at which case why would you be mad at Shanahan, he would be the victim in that situation.

I love RGIII as much as the next guy, hell I have 3 RGIII authentic jersey's and rock the hell out of them but lets be honest, he doesn't look good. He just doesn't, you can say its for this or that but he doesn't look good, period. 

In terms of Shanahan breaking tradition and talking about players and plans with the media? People can only take so much.

I'm not some blind Shanahan loyalist, but the guy had to deal with two years of 18 million dollar penalties that he didn't cause, a Fat Albert that he didn't sign, and a host of other issues. Not ideal conditions, then he had to deal with RGIII and his whole media campaign on recovery etc etc. I'm sure he was getting pressured to start him and I'm sure he's feels a little slighted by how everything is falling on him.

Like I said, I don't believe for a second that there isn't some truth to the notion that Danny is budding up with RGIII.. It's easy to see why, a franchise QB in Washington would mean $$$$$$$

I don't think any of RG3s supporters believe he has played lights out. If so, they are silly. I support him and I certainly don't think he has played great. But, I think he has played well enough for us to win. I think he needs more experience on the field not less. He definitely needs more experience in the pocket. I don't think any QB could survive this organization right now.

But, I also think the play calling has been horrible at best. You can point to our stats all you want, but they don't win games. We are predictable. Where are quick passes like the slants? Not the quick screens mind you. Where are the screen passes out of the backfield.

Why do our receivers run 100 yard routes 90% of the time? Where are the roll outs that Shannahan is famous for? Don't bring up RG3s knee, because we still run him in the RO.

If RG3 is so bad, why has Alfred only had 3 games with 20 plus carries. He has only had 3 100 yard games. He is averaging 4.71 YPC. Maybe he is not the best pass catcher out of the backfield, but why has he only caught 6 balls? The threat needs to be there and it is not. He is averaging 8.71 YPC.

I think the Shannahans could have hid a lot of RG3s faults this year. Good coaches would. But, good coaches would also use players to their strengths. We have quite a few players not being used.

Also for these last 3 games, if Cousins starts, he will look good. Avg QB rating against the next 3 opponents: Falcons 104.3 Giants 84.5 Cowboys: 95.1 Shannahan knows this.

Being 23rd in points kind of says it all to me. I don't think Kyle is that great of a play caller. You can point to his days with the Texans, but Kubiak ran that team. Kyle was just lucky to be on it.

Funny how many people with to from "Death to Synder" to "Death to Shannahan" in 5 minute stretch... I don't buy that this is Mike Shanahan running a game to get fired.. Not for a single second.  I very well believe that this could be Synder doing the "leaking" to make Shanahan look like an idiot and to take the focus off him for firing Mike Shanahan and company to protect RGIII.

So...you're saying that Dan Snyder leaked to the media that Dan Snyder has been giving preferential treatment to RG3 and this is causing a lot of problems with the team?     :blink:

I sort of hope this turns into a Drew Brees situation. I hope the entire fanbase turns on RGIII the way the chargers fanbase did Brees and he gives the haters a big middle finger as he hoists the Lombardi with another team. This fanbase doesn't deserve an exciting young QB because they don't understand what development entails. As much as the fans bash Snyder for trying quick fixes there are so many fans of this team that are exactly like him. Zero patience whatsoever.

Amen to that! I honestly think the fan base has been as big a disappointment as the team this season.

I don't think any of RG3s supporters believe he has played lights out. If so, they are silly. I support him and I certainly don't think he has played great. But, I think he has played well enough for us to win. I think he needs more experience on the field not less. He definitely needs more experience in the pocket. I don't think any QB could survive this organization right now.

But, I also think the play calling has been horrible at best. You can point to our stats all you want, but they don't win games. We are predictable. Where are quick passes like the slants? Not the quick screens mind you. Where are the screen passes out of the backfield.

Agreed 100%.  RG3 has a great deal of work to do to improve as a pocket passer. Granted, he has had some horrible plays. He doesn't seem to always feel comfortable in the pocket, especially when things break down. However, he has the tools. He just needs someone to coach him how to get better. 

Again, I say that Kyle stunted RG3's growth by continuing to run this "gimmicky" offense.  Playcalling has stunk.  We are a very predictable team.   I watch with friends and call the play correctly more often than not.  Players on the other team even call out the play before it happens.

What he needs these next 3 weeks is to play with a gameplan that focuses on running the ball, play action passing, with only a smattering of the gimmicky plays Kyle seems to love.  He needs the same gameplan we had against the Browns last year. 

Again....You don't know what you're talking about. It is clear you do not understand the offense or the progressions of the QB. 

1.Fred Davis was open and was the 1st read for the QB..That is where the ball is suppose to go. It's not like he screwed up and passed to Davis as a check down after missing Paulsen. Davis wasn't a check down, he was the 1st read.

2.Aldrick Robinson was coming from the backside of a half field read progression.Robert was reading the front side of the play as dictated by the pre-snap defense. Robinson coming open doesn't matter because he wasn't part of the post-snap progression unless the front side broke down. 

You're welcome.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I think nc2rh either watches the film with an agenda in mind or hasn't quite got all the aspects of breaking down pass plays yet.

Several weeks ago I would've said that Griff needs to play as long as he's healthy.  He needs the live reps.

However, the last three games have really soured me on the idea.  If we were competing at all, I'd say he needs to be out there.  But we aren't.  We've mailed it in, and I see no reason to think it will get better.  He's been getting drilled too.

The live reps that I thought would help him have turned into "empty" reps.  I just don't see the upside of continuing to let him get crushed for the last three games.  If we roll with KC, I won't be disappointed or surprised.

I tweeted that about 5 weeks ago..Then had a few media people co-sign it afterward. I heard it from a player. 

LL, I know you said a while back that some things never got ironed out on the offensive side of the building.  It seems clear after all this that there has been a disconnect between Shanny and Griff, but is there a similar disconnect between Griff and Kyle?

And do you see any scenario where Kyle stays and Mike goes?  Or are they a package deal?  Do you think Shanny and Kyle like working together and will do so for another team?

LL, I know you said a while back that some things never got ironed out on the offensive side of the building.  It seems clear after all this that there has been a disconnect between Shanny and Griff, but is there a similar disconnect between Griff and Kyle?

And do you see any scenario where Kyle stays and Mike goes?  Or are they a package deal?  Do you think Shanny and Kyle like working together and will do so for another team?

I know you didn't ask me and I have NO inside information but here is my 2 cents...

IF I was Mike/Kyle; lets say I'm Mike I would tell Kyle.... look I'm done here, might be done in the league but you can save yourself by sticking it out after I get fired.

If I'm Kyle I coach my freakin tail off, I start ROBERT not Cousins. I try to wash the stench of Mike's failure off my resume.

I limit the read-option. I try my best to field the best offense I can with Robert.

After all the second guessing from the Griffin camp might this be Shanahan's response? Coach didn't protect him last year so this year coach is going to over protect him. After all can you imagine the complaining if RG3 were to get injured in meaningless games? This situation certainly looks like Shanahan is angry about with his QB and aiming to make a point.

I know you didn't ask me and I have NO inside information but here is my 2 cents...

IF I was Mike/Kyle; lets say I'm Mike I would tell Kyle.... look I'm done here, might be done in the league but you can save yourself by sticking it out after I get fired.

If I'm Kyle I coach my freakin tail off, I start ROBERT not Cousins. I try to wash the stench of Mike's failure off my resume.

I limit the read-option. I try my best to field the best offense I can with Robert.

Thats one angle I hadn't really thought of. I mean Mikes pretty much gone narc, and Kyle has been tied to it as well. Unless he is a complete moron, I doubt that he would want Mikes **** stain to affect his coaching opportunities down the road.

Basing your opinion on leaked media reports is not an objective way to gain information. The very reports you cite are leaked by people hoping to gain an advantage in perception from the leak.

And its working pretty damn well.

The leaks have worked to shift the blame from the on the field and personnel failure to literally everything else under the sun.

I'm not basing my opinion solely on the leak. I'm basing it on all the weird things that have been coming out of Robert's camp all offseason, things to which I wished weren't said at the time but just didn't want to believe were of any significance. I'm basing it on Snyder's history. I'm basing it on how a team that had so much promise, so much going for it could all of a sudden have so much go wrong.

But, I agree with you. We shouldn't overlook the failures on the field this year, especially with the Special Teams. Everything else, I'm not so willing to bash the coaches for. I think a lot of what's going on right now with the trashing of Shanahan is outrageously ingenious hindsight. 

Going into the year, most of us were totally understanding that we couldn't do much to improve the team personnel-wise due to the salary cap penalty, especially on defense. We also weren't so hard on Haslett, because we saw the defense improve right before our eyes the last month or so of the 2012 season. We were creative and played our depth guys well. NO ONE blamed Shanahan for holding on to Haslett.  

We were all hoping to get some major production out of the rookies we drafted in the secondary, which unfortunately didn't happen. And that's normal. Some guys need time, especially later round draft picks. We lost Phillip Thomas early on as well, so who knows.

The heaviest criticism about the personnel revolved around Tyler Polumbus and finding a better RT. We brought in Trueblood and Pashos, moves that were obviously made because of the handicap from the salary cap penalty. I just don't see us signing those guys otherwise. Now, I know you disagree with this, but going into the season it's hard to fault Mike for believing the Oline can handle one more year as it is after last year's performance. They played well, read option or not. Interestingly, Polumbus, the consensus weak link going into the season, wasn't playing poorly this year at all, up until the last few games in which it seems like our entire Oline has disintegrated. It was our interior Oline that regressed, where guys like Will Montgomery and Chris Chester all of a sudden became awful. I don't know what happened there, especially with Montgomery, who was great last year.

It could definitely be argued that all of this should've been foreseen by Mike. That's his job. And I agree, but part of me also wonders how much the guys are all looking in the film room and seeing Robert making mistakes over and over again that's making them look bad. We don't know that. We don't know when Robert was responsible to change a protection and messed up on it and how many times he did that. We only see the end result where the Oline looks bad. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's hard for me to forget what happened last year. It's hard for me to throw that away. We had great coaching on the offensive side of the ball that was as innovative as can be and the coaches on the defensive side improved towards the end of the year. Bringing in Keith Burns didn't seem like a crazy idea since he was an assistant on one of the better special team's units in the NFL last year. We all knew we weren't going to be able to do much personnel-wise, and we were all happy we brought back the vast majority of the team. Fletcher regressed, Moss wasn't playing as well to start the year, and of course, the most significant factor was the difference in Robert's play. I think all of those things matter more than anything else.

It's just my opinion. I know you disagree and want to focus more on schemes/playcalling, but I just disagree with that. That's all. :)   

Again, I say that Kyle stunted RG3's growth by continuing to run this "gimmicky" offense.  Playcalling has stunk.  We are a very predictable team.   I watch with friends and call the play correctly more often than not.  Players on the other team even call out the play before it happens.

Agreed about stunting RG3s growth. Also, my wife and I call the plays correctly a lot as well. We mainly look at personnel and sometimes it is so blatantly obvious. Also, we can call plays based on tendencies.

I do worry about Kyle being connected to all of this crap. I would feel bad if he doesn't agree with what his dad is doing and he is stuck in the middle. It could possibly make it harder for him to move on in the NFL. I think he will, but we will see

I think Kyle would be a fantastic college coach.

So lets say that we do as you say, and ignore the fact that even in your assumptions the fact remains that the offensive line is incapable of holding blocks for a longer period of time (hence why you're saying Cousins is doing better than RGIII because he gets the ball out quicker), how can you say that we don't already have some analysis on how the oline is doing when the oline is clearly unable to let a QB stay in the pocket long enough for deep routes? Unless you have data that suggests the oline is indeed good at sustaining blocks for a long time, it tells me that having an offense based solely on quick throws to avoid the weakness in the oline still doesn't address the fact that you have to cater your offensive gameplan to a position that isn't playing optimally. 

No offense, but throwing data that Cousins gets rid of the ball quicker and thus the oline plays better with him does not at all show anything other than we know the oline isn't bad if the QB doesn't have to throw it deep.

Well when a QB starts completing a lot of shorter passes and quick hits... Blitzing becomes futile as LB's are needed to take up space in passing lanes.  That in turn gives a QB an extra second to hold the ball.  Say 3.5-3.7 Which based on average 40 yd dash times gives the QB the time to throw a pass downfield in the 40 plus yd range.

Archived