Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

Well Sumlin (A&M) just signed a new 6 year contract.

Now I dont know about Sumlin, but I strongly feel Briles would not sign an extension then bolt to the pro's.

Its just not his style.

As for the other money.

How much would another 3-13 season cost Snyder?

I think there's a real possibility that Shanny is here next year.  I hope ES can behave in a sane manner. :)

I still think the best thing that could happen for us in the long term is...

We keep Shanny and sign him to a one/two year extension.  He uses the cap money well, and Griff gets better in the offseason.  We fire Haslett and grab a good DC.  We make the paloffs the next two years.

Then, we turn the keys over to Kyle and he leads us into the next decade.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think it could work out.  I think the odds of us going this route and suceceding are better than the odds of us bringing in a new regime and succeeding.  

My thinking is that Mike S. relinquishes the HC to Kyle next year, and he keeps the VP of operations.

That's a point, too. The cap penalty in effect saved Snyder 36 mil.

Not really. The cap doesn't reflect the real, actual money being paid out to players. It's a numbers game. Even if we had been able to use all of that cap space, who knows what the actual dollars spent would have been, over time.

Not really. The cap doesn't reflect the real, actual money being paid out to players. It's a numbers game. Even if we had been able to use all of that cap space, who knows what the actual dollars spent would have been, over time.

It does, it just takes time. You can finagle the cap, but that just changes when you can spend, not if you can spend.

I think the only thing Shanny did wrong was give into the pressure to play RG3 the first game of the year.  I love RG but he was no where near ready the first 4 games and I’m still questioning him today.  I have no doubts he’ll be back next year but Shanny should have stuck to his guns and held him off till the bye week.  I think if he did that we are in second place or even first today and the season can be saved.  

He’s guilty for playing RG3 too early.  Thats my opinion.  

He’ll be back… Thats a given.

Dan's been holding the purse strings pretty tight these last few years. He won't throw money away for the hell of it. Bruce & Shanny had to get creative to pitch a raise for Danny Smith in order to re-sign him his last year here. Remember, they also wouldn't cut Fat Al for an entire season unless he paid money back.

It's not for the hell of it, though.  If extending him or firing him are equal choices, that's a crossroads.  This wouldn't be like firing Marty.  He actually would have a legit and reasonable argument to let Shanahan go if that's something he's thinking about. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's reasonable. 

There was a lot of principle involved with Haynesworth though.  I think there was a personal element to that too. 

If Dan is holding the purse strings tight, why wouldn't he go after an established OC or DC in the league? Not too much of a buyout needed, and, for that matter, maybe $5 mill per year in salary isn't needed either for that.

Perhaps the real heart of the matter is that nobody is whispering that "big name" in Snyder'a ear that excites him. That is the biggest reason why Mike Shanahan will be here next season.

Aren't the assistants on 1 year deals usually?

Also, there will be at minmum changes to the staff. Special teams, Haz and a change on the offensive staff somewhere (Forester perhaps?) will have to occur.

IF Shanny stays I want to see him bring in Kubiak (people need to look at his record with and WITHOUT Kubiak) Dennison and Wade Phillips. Of course this assumes they all get fired in Houston 

Besides, lets be honest-if Dan has no problem shelling out 41M for fat Al right after the big crash in 2009 and pre-CBA/lockout, with the amount of revenue the owners now pull in, he'll have no trouble spending an additional 15-20M on firing Shanny and bringing in a new staff IF the team fails to win 5 games

Perhaps the real heart of the matter is that nobody is whispering that "big name" in Snyder'a ear that excites him. That is the biggest reason why Mike Shanahan will be here next season.

I agree.  I think Mike comes back because Dan doesn't know where to go next.  

I think it's 50/50 right now.  But I think it's 100% Haslett is gone.  It will be an interesting offseason and it's sad burying this season and having to look at next season.  I'm also excited for having FA money.  For the time being lets hope RG3 doesn't take the hits week after week he's been taking, he won't make it.

I don't doubt the MS will be back, and I don't think it's necessarily a tragedy if he does, but the OP seems like a bit of a worst case scenario.  Mostly because it assumes that there will be a large external payout to a college to snag a HC.  I think its just as likely that a coordinator will be hired, probably at a salary level much lower than Shanahan's.  So there will be some dead money, but that's' almost always the case when coaches get dumped.

I can think of at least two much worse scenarios:

1)  Shanahan gets an extension, then has another horrible year or two.  Then DS has to pay for multiple seasons when he fires DS.

2)  Shanahan breaks the bank to pull in free agents to win now, and fails.  Skins are left with a bunch of long term contracts with big bonuses and associated big cap hits.

In either of those cases, I wonder what the cost to the Skins is if the season starts out badly.  What's the loss if people stop buying Skins merchandise, endorsements and licensing if there is no excitement?

TK dropping some inconvenient truths

Shanahan will be back

Shanny might, but there is no way that this entire staff can be back.

If Shanny is back, I want to see remnants of the Houston staff here (contingent on them getting fired)

Kubiak as QB coach/offensive assistant (again see Shanny's record with/without Kubs, it is night and day), Dennison o-line coach, Wade Phillips and whoever the hell he wants to hire as DC.

And Keith Burns is clearly gone, but if he is the only change, Shanny should be fired.

I think the real truth is that Snyder, post lockout, is rolling around in money, seeing that the owners railroaded the players. However, after the cap penalty, I think he realizes he can't go out spending willy nilly and screwing up pay scales without eventually getting punished.

He'll fall in line with the collusion

All that wordy nonsense I just typed leads to this

1) Post lockout Dan Snyder has plenty of cash, however there is no way he'll piss off the owners again by tossing out 25M to fire this staff and hire another staff; especially after the cap penalty

2) Shanny, even at 3-13, is coming back.

3) There will have to be an extension or else this will be a complete mess next year

4) All that really matters is who stays and goes on the coaching staff? Burns for sure is gone, as he is probably on a 1 year contract. Haz? Didn't he sign a 2 year deal a couple years back? Kyle will certainly stay. Slowick? Forester? LeFluer? 

7 million to buy out Shanny. Roughly 5 million to fire his staff. That's 12 million.

You're looking roughly on average 5 million to buy out a college contract for Summlin or Briles. You're now at 22 million.

Add another 5 million for a new new head coach's contract. You're now up to roughly 27 million. And you still have to pay a new coaching staff which would run another 3-5 million.

That's 30-32 million dollars to fire Shannahan. Or 25-27 million if you don't buy a college coach's contract.

Either way, Dan Snyder's not throwing that much money away.

Great breakdown and logical analysis that really can't be questioned.  

In another thread last week before the SF game TK opined that "there were still a lot of games to be played" in regard to Shanny's fate. I can't imagine the results of the MNF game helped Mike's cause.

Again, isn't there always going to be this same issue unless the coach is in the last year of his contract? Bottom line is thar nobody presently out there who may be interested excites Snyder.

I can't believe Dan and this franchise, which flushed tens of millions if not hundreds of millions down the toilet for over a decade would basically let $12mil stop him from making a coaching move.

And what happens next year? He can't be a lame duck so if he is extended then what? We can't part ways then either or he is owed more money again?

I'm sure as loyal as Shanahan is that Haslett will be back too. Everybody ready for year 5 of Mike?

I can't believe Dan and this franchise, which flushed tens of millions if not hundreds of millions down the toilet for over a decade would basically let $12mil stop him from making a coaching move.

And what happens next year? He can't be a lame duck so if he is extended then what? We can't part ways then either or he is owed more money again?

I'm sure as loyal as Shanahan is that Haslett will be back too. Everybody ready for year 5 of Mike?

Dan flushed 100s of millions on bums, including Haynesworth, Archuletta, Lloyd, the 2000 FA class, the 2003 FA class and bums like Lavar.

HOWEVER this was all before the owners railroaded the franchise with the cap penalty.

What does that have to do with spending money on coaches?

Well, Dan under Gibbs 2, and a bit under Shanahan, had no issue raising the bar on coaches salaries. You think the other owners didn't take note of that?

I can't imagine 12M mattering much to Dan either, considering that is how much Josh Morgan has been paid the last 2 years.

But if he is raising the coaching ante again amongst the owners? They aren't going to like it 

I can't imagine 12M mattering much to Dan either, considering that is how much Josh Morgan has been paid the last 2 years.

But if he is raising the coaching ante again amongst the owners? They aren't going to like it

But he isn't raising any coaching ante. It's not like he is setting the market for other players in FA. Coaches get fired and are paid their final year all the time. There is no guarantee is going to blow the doors off his next coaches contrast and piss off other owners. That argument doesn't make sense to me.

Also, 10 in a row baby. Let's go...

Archived