Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

Yeah, if he is afraid to fire an unsuccessful coach with 1 year left on his contract because he thinks he'll be punished for it, then there is no way he can run this team anymore.

I don't think he has given enough evidence he ever could run the team.

My theory is really based on the fact that the owners are awash with money right now because of the post lockout CBA and where TV rights are right now.

A cost of 12M should not be a deterrent to firing Mike Shanhan for Dan Snyder. So why on earth would TK drop this thread? 

In reality money should not matter to Snyder in a situation like this. Why on earth would the purse be closed? 

I don't think he has given enough evidence he ever could run the team.

My theory is really based on the fact that the owners are awash with money right now because of the post lockout CBA and where TV rights are right now.

A cost of 12M should not be a deterrent to firing Mike Shanhan for Dan Snyder. So why on earth would TK drop this thread? 

I didn't say he ever ran it well, but he did run it.

I don't know why TK posted it, maybe he wants to make me cry. But unless there's something more that I don't see, I really can't fathom Shanahan back because of money. And I just don't think there's any reason to think the owners would punish him from doing basically what all owners do. He can't do business at all at that point.

I didn't say he ever ran it well, but he did run it.

I don't know why TK posted it, maybe he wants to make me cry. But unless there's something more that I don't see, I really can't fathom Shanahan back because of money. And I just don't think there's any reason to think the owners would punish him from doing basically what all owners do. He can't do business at all at that point.

Agree with you on the first part; if Shanny is staying because of a potential 12M dollars extra that would need to be spent, that is absurd.

The only rational reason I can think that Snyder wouldn't spend an extra 12M, lets say 15M, to get rid of Shanny and hire a new staff is because somehow it will irritate the other owners. That is really the only thing I can think of to be honest.

The NFL has tons of money, and they were able to take back a good chunk of money from the players during the lockout. How on earth could 12-15M deter Snyder? 

If he's back, I want him back without an extension. You can't convince me that Snyder is frugal and also claim tacking years onto a Coach's contract is a wise way to spend money. Let him come back with full authority with a chance to earn the extension. We have drama very year anyway, so what are we worried about?

I honestly think that without an extension, it would make the 2009 Washington Redskins look like a well run organization.

Agree with you on the first part; if Shanny is staying because of a potential 12M dollars extra that would need to be spent, that is absurd.

The only rational reason I can think that Snyder wouldn't spend an extra 12M, lets say 15M, to get rid of Shanny and hire a new staff is because somehow it will irritate the other owners. That is really the only thing I can think of to be honest.

The NFL has tons of money, and they were able to take back a good chunk of money from the players during the lockout. How on earth could 12-15M deter Snyder? 

Yeah, I get that you're trying to come up with a way that this might make sense. But I still don't think we've found it.

Question: If the entire point of a 1 year extension is to avoid making Shanahan appear like a lame duck coach, and everybody knows it, then what is the point?

"Yeah, he's gone after 2014, but we're signing him thru 2015 to let him save face and maintain some kind of authority."

How does that do anything besides make him a really expensive lame duck? If the whole reason we're going to have to keep him, per the OP, is that it would be expensive to do otherwise, then why would you give him more money you know you're going to have to eat? I know Dan's whole MO as owner has been "**** tomorrow, I'm only thinking about today!" but guaranteeing Mike money that you know he won't be coaching when he gets it 2 years from now is worse than biting the bullet now and giving a fresh start a really good start.

I hope if Shanahan stays his stubbornness and ego allows him to realize he needs a better staff. I honestly have my doubts that will happen though. I am all for Wade Phillips being the DC and having total control over the defense including hiring of the position coaches. He should be able to work with coaches he knows and respects instead of having guys like Slowick forced on him. As far as the offensive coaches go, I guess there is no chance Kyle goes either but I would love to see a new QB coach work with RGIII. It would be nice if it could be somebody he knows and respects and be able to deal with Griffin's insecurities and ego. Bobby Jackson is definitely a keeper at RB coach. New ST, OL and WR coaches need to be hired. Burns was not ready for the job, Forester hasn't developed or improved the OL in 4 plus years. Shanahan has had a different WR coach pretty much every year he has been here and they imply that Kyle works with the  WR's a lot also, that has to change because they haven't developed a WR in 4 years. Somebody in the Terry Robiskie mold would be great.

Why do you think that? If things go well he can be extended at any time.

If you don't like your boss, and his future is uncertain, what is your motivation to play hard and be totally prepared?

Pissed about your playing time? Skip a meeting. It can go on and on.

One thing these guys need is certainty. No certainty is a recipe for a complete disaster. 

Question: If the entire point of a 1 year extension is to avoid making Shanahan appear like a lame duck coach, and everybody knows it, then what is the point?

True. And if the concern is really money, then no extension is the budget plan.

Either way, if he's back, there better be some serious reins on his FA spending.

Imagine our team is now gonna be owned by not just Dan Snyder, but a cheap Dan Snyder. Ugh.

To be honest, I think he has always been a cheap Dan Snyder in the areas where he should have maximized his monetary advantage.

That being scouting, analytics, facilities and player development. For 1/4 of Haynesworth's bonus, he could have built the best scouting staff/FO in the NFL.

If he has suddenly become cheap on player and coach contracts, well who knows, it may  have positive unintended consequences. 

If you don't like your boss, and his future is uncertain, what is your motivation to play hard and be totally prepared?

Pissed about your playing time? Skip a meeting. It can go on and on.

One thing these guys need is certainty. No certainty is a recipe for a complete disaster.

If your coach doesn't demand respect, you shouldn't keep him around.

To be honest, I think he has always been a cheap Dan Snyder in the areas where he should have maximized his monetary advantage.

That being scouting, analytics, facilities and player development. For 1/4 of Haynesworth's bonus, he could have built the best scouting staff/FO in the NFL.

If he has suddenly become cheap on player and coach contracts, well who knows, it may  have positive unintended consequences. 

Yeah, I agree with all that. Except the unintended consequences thing. That's a bit too much optimism for my tastes.

I think it might actually be the opposite reaction by Dan Snyder to the other owners. I can see him trying to get the best free agents he can get from other teams. for instance try to steal Nicks from the Giants etc. He can use the cap guys to be creative. This time the owners can't use the spirit of the cap against the team. 

Archived