Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

Hey look the Post finally caught up. :P

http://m.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyder-did-not-raise-objection-to-benching-of-robert-griffin-iii-because-he-felt-it-was-coachs-decision-to-make-sources-say/2013/12/13/8602220e-6449-11e3-aa81-e1dab1360323_story.html

It also appeared Friday that financial considerations have become the most significant issue determining Shanahan’s future with the organization. Multiple people close to the matter said Snyder has been unwilling so far to pay the full amount he would owe Shanahan and his coaching staff if he fired them.

I say you give Shanny a one year extension to turn things around. Bringing in a new coach new coordinators will be just us playing the same old game we've done for the last 13 years (New Coach+ new coordinators + same media hoards= Same result). There's no guarantee a new coach will turn things around plus the media will play its game of divide and conquer and the new coach will be run out of town in the same fashion. I do agree Hasslett, Burns, Slowik, Morris all need to be gone. Some of the players that don't believe in the program Shannahan is running need to be gone. You keep Kyle and bring in Kubiak, Dennison. I don't think Briles is leaving Baylor and Gruden would be a fool to come into this mess. We'll have a lot of money to spend in FA and top pick in the 2nd in third rounds. Say what you want about Shannahan he's done OK in my book. He has one NFC East Championship despite limited talent and the cap penalty (last year was an amazing season), drafted a arrogant diva franchise QB and a solid young and up and coming 2nd QB. Drafted a top 5 LT in Trent Williams, drafted a top tier RB in the 5th rd in Alfred Morris, Jordan Reed looks like a steal in the 3rd round. Could our record be better? Yes. But I realize teams have losing and winning records every season. Saints, Chiefs, Panthers, Falcons perfect examples. Dan could follow what jerry jones did with Jason Garrett. The Dallas media thought Jerry was going to fire Garrett since he missed the playoffs but what did he do? Gave him a contract extension brought him back. I'd like to see what Shanny could do next year. I think well really be good.

There are 25 million reasons to keep Shanahan, but not really because if you dump Haslett and crew that means Danny still has to pay a chunk of that money. 

But what's more interesting to me on this level is how much revenue do you lose by keeping Shanahan.  Let's be honest, many of us despite our protests will be back watching next season even if Mike and crew are back.  You'll be back even if Haslett and Burns are both back.  However, will you be buying tickets?  New jerseys?  Will you stay to the end of games or bail out early and will you spend as much on concessions?

Snyder stands to lose a lot more than 25 million dollars by keeping Shanahan unless the results reverse drastically.  Who in the offseason will want to buy Redskins stuff this year or buy a season package or do other stuff.  The fans may not leave, but their energy and support will be suppressed.  Minimal.

I turned down free tickets this year.  Others are selling gameday tickets for ten bucks.  What Snyder needs to ask himself is what is the cost of keeping Shanahan?  If he believes that Mike can turn it around and generate wins then all will be forgiven and the fans will return with excitement and green.  If not, then 25 million is cheap compared to the loss of revenue.  In 2012, RGIII was the top selling jersey.  In 2013, I bet it won't be and I would be surprised if any Redskin player's jersey ranks in the top twenty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived