Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

This is exactly why Snyder is such a raging dumbass. He is a salesman, not a manager. Go out and recruit and beg and plead for the guy to come here, promise him 5 years, them wonder what to do after 4 and the performance sucks.

Like I said, performance is a cut and dry issue for a functional organization. For the Redskins, there are always twenty layers of **** between action and accountability.

Rationalize it any way you want. The on field results speak for themselves

You are getting caught in the media games and transferring them to what the organization is actually doing. 

Ohhh, that and the run that we went on last year.  And finding Morris in the 6th round.  And not wanting to suck next year as we go through yet another freaking rebuilding process.

a rebuilding process would be cheaper this year than next, with more cap money and numerous vets becoming free agents.

I think we are grossly forgetting a handful of things:

~ Changing schemes would be less than ideal for RG3. He would have to start over his pocket passer development, and would likely be learning from a  coach who doesn't already have a strong understanding of what he can do in the read option. We'd be taking away his strength to start over with his weakness.

~ Alfred Morris is NOT a corner stone RB that you build a team around in any system but our own. He is a one cut back built for our blocking scheme and our running game. He doesn't have the speed or the agility to run behind a power scheme like Peterson. I will take a lot of crap for saying it, and the home run homers will crucify me, but Morris is the definition of a system back.

~ If you change the running scheme, you need 4 new O lineman. Not a single one left of Trent would be worth a damn in a different blocking scheme. 

~ If you bring a new coach in, you are left with some uncomfortable decisions to be made by someone who does not know the players and how they may suit their needs. A new coach needs to make a decision on Orakpo, Jackson, Tapp, Barnett, Minnefield, Merriweather, Wilson, Morgan, Hankerson, Doughty, Davis, and Hall. These are ALL guys who need answers, one way or another. We KNOW how Shanny feels about the, and we can pretty much guess what his answers are. But a brand new coach? He has to find all these answers within a couple months of taking the job. 

~ Who the heck will want this job if we can Shanny? We have absolutely nothing to offer a coach for incentive. If I am a coach who can pick his job I see the following:

Possibly diva QB who has more say over the owner than me. An OLine that, while it was slightly suited for the existing system, will almost certainly be useless for mine. 2 system RBs who have niche talents that don't really fit my running scheme. A slew of middle of the pack WRs that need an infusion of talent. A DLine that has talent but lacks a true nose (which are HARD to find). A LB corp that has talent on the outside, but with a question of Orakpo's contract and Fletcher's replacement. And a defensive backfield that consists of a promising rookie, a damn good vet who likely needs to get paid, a knuckle head that hasn't learned to wrap up, two possible promising rookies (one coming off a serious injury) and Doughty, the most solid, and consistent, Danny Woodhead of safeties. 

I sure wouldn't take the job. 

a rebuilding process would be cheaper this year than next, with more cap money and numerous vets becoming free agents.

How about if we don't change everything every year and think we are winning a super bowl.  How about if we slowly draft a team and sprinkle in free agents this year and next and building it the right way.

If we fire our whole coaching staff, not hire a GM in charge of player personnel, hire some random coach, and splurge in free agency including being the first out of the gates to sign the biggest name free agents, I will have a really hard time supporting the team.

The NFL is a very small world. Micromanaging Shanny would be the worst possible move.

If Snyder gave his word on 5 years he need to honor it. Period. If anyone remembers it was Snyder who aggressively pursued Shanahan

This is organizational leadership 101.

People will be fired come January.The only question is who.

People will be fired come January.The only question is who.

I would say Shanny would control that??  

I personally don't think Shanny gets fired but ends up leaving.

Dan does one of two things or both that leads to Shanny leaving the team:

1.  Dan tells Shanny, that he will give him a one year extension but he will no longer be the GM and that Snyder will be bringing in a new GM.  Shanny refused to accept those terms and resigns.

2. Dan asks Shanny to fire his son, Hasslett and Burns.  Shanny refuses and leaves the team.

My guess Danny wants Shanny to succeed but will ask for some changes and Shanny will refuse and thus leave.

Ohhh, that and the run that we went on last year.  And finding Morris in the 6th round.  And not wanting to suck next year as we go through yet another freaking rebuilding process.

I've got news for you my friend. Whether Shanny stays or goes we are pretty much in what I call a De Facto rebuild. We have more holes than we previously thought and we have a ****load of FA's to ponder sitting in our own backyard. 

Again, people like you are still brainwashed by the name Shanahan and those shiny trophies he won a long, long time ago.

The ONLY way I would consider keeping him is if he relinquished GM duties and fired the whole staff on the defensive side of the ball. Even then I'm not confident in him doing a good job. But hey, you keep hanging onto the that seven game stretch last year and I'll look at the fact that he is 12/13 games UNDER .500 WITH that seven game run.

Some of us aren't brainwashed, we are tired of continually bringing in another shiny new coach thinking that is the problem.

So let's keep continuity for the sake of continuity even though it is a massive fail? Like I said. If his name wasn't Shanahan I'm certain some of his supporters wouldn't be so supportive.

And what makes you think that if Shanahan sticks around that the team will be better than it would be "rebuilding" with a new coach? 

This gets tiring to keep pointing out, but so many fans still cling to the fallacy that "rebuilding" equals being horrible for several years.  Look at the teams with new head coaches this year - they're ALL at least as good as, if not better (based on record), than the team Shanahan has built for the last 4 years.  Do you think Philly fans would rather be rooting for their "rebuilding" 7-5 team still contending for a division title, or this "stable" 3-9 team already focused on next year? 

Supporting Shanahan for the sake of continuity is essentially supporting losing for the sake of continuity.  Is that what you really want as a fan? 

Some of us aren't brainwashed, we are tired of continually bringing in another shiny new coach thinking that is the problem.

Coaching isn't the only problem, but it's probably the only problem that's going to get fixed anytime soon.  Plenty of fans argue that ownership is most of the problem, but the team probably isn't going to have a new owner in quite a while. 

More importantly, it's a logical fallacy to let past failures in the coaching hiring process by this team color your evaluation of the current situation.  Shanahan has clearly failed.  In four years, he's delivered one division title, one playoff game, no playoff wins, and an overall losing record.  Most damning of all, the team as currently constructed by him is currently vying for the title of worst team in the league, and arguably is barely much better than the team he took over 4 years ago.  That's just pure objective failure.  Most coaches not named "Shanahan" would've been fired by now. 

Here's your situation:  You're a passenger on the Titanic, and the ship is clearly sinking.  You could jump into the freezing cold water, and face some pretty harsh odds of survival - will you make it to a lifeboat or get picked up by a rescue ship before you freeze to death and drown?  The odds aren't looking good, but if you stay with the ship, you definitely drown.  What's the call? 

>keep shanahan who's done nothng but make bad decisions and lose for the last 4 years except for the 7 game run

>doesn't seem interested in developing his young franchise QB or his young OL

>doesn't seem to have a real plan

>A MIRACLE OCCURS

>shanahan starts winning

insanity, thy name is "homer"

We're worse than the Jaguars, guys. The JAGUARS.

So let's keep continuity for the sake of continuity even though it is a massive fail? Like I said. If his name wasn't Shanahan I'm certain some of his supporters wouldn't be so supportive.

Or lets change coaches every 3 years because the problem is always the coach right????

I've got news for you my friend. Whether Shanny stays or goes we are pretty much in what I call a De Facto rebuild. We have more holes than we previously thought and we have a ****load of FA's to ponder sitting in our own backyard. 

Again, people like you are still brainwashed by the name Shanahan and those shiny trophies he won a long, long time ago.

The ONLY way I would consider keeping him is if he relinquished GM duties and fired the whole staff on the defensive side of the ball. Even then I'm not confident in him doing a good job. But hey, you keep hanging onto the that seven game stretch last year and I'll look at the fact that he is 12/13 games UNDER .500 WITH that seven game run.

What difference does it make? Shanahan would simply handcuff any new defensive coordinator by forcing them into the 3-4 and bringing in defensive players ill-suited to such a format. Shanahan doesn't know jack about having a great defense, and he's not about to enter the final year of his contract by putting tremendous focus on the improvement our sorry defense at the price of marginalizing resources and energy on the improvement of the offense.

I am to but if RG III our Franchise QB can't get along with Kyle and Mike something has to change.

Yeah, every coach we have had here, our star players have run to Danny because they had a problem with the coach.

The inmates run our franchise.

Same **** different day.

Here's your situation:  You're a passenger on the Titanic, and the ship is clearly sinking.  You could jump into the freezing cold water, and face some pretty harsh odds of survival - will you make it to a lifeboat or get picked up by a rescue ship before you freeze to death and drown?  The odds aren't looking good, but if you stay with the ship, you definitely drown.  What's the call? 

Well I hire a GM.  I know I won't die because it's groundhog day.  I was on the Norv Titanic, Schotty Titanic, Spurrier Titanic, Gibbs Titanic, Zorn Titanic.

Guess what I always survive a miserable life.

Or lets change coaches every 3 years because the problem is always the coach right????

We're still in the infancy of our rebuilding phase, so dropping Shanahan isn't going to cause any negative ripple effect. Our team is still fundamentally unsound. Everything starts at the trenches and we have a marginal offensive line and a lousy defensive line.

It'd be one thing if we were letting go of a builder in the middle of a home project, but Shanahan hasn't even laid most of the foundation yet.

Archived