Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

PK, I don't know. Moving on from players is such a different set of circumstances.

I do agree with you about not extending him. I would either move on or let him come back for a fifth year. Giving him an unearned extension would only make things worse. There will be plenty of time next year to extend him if he earns it in-season.  

I am ok with Shanahan sticking around.  Yes we are not having immediate success but for the long run, it will pay off to have some stability at the top...  I am even down with Mike handing over the reigns to Kyle after 2 more years...

I think the key this offseason will be what Shanahan does with his staff...  It might depend on what happens with HC changes around the league...

1) Keith Burns - He needs to get replaced.

2) Haslett - If Rex Ryan hits the market... We need to SERIOUSLY think about bringing him in...  That man can coach defense.

3) Reuniting with his past staff - If Kubiak gets fired from Houston, I hope that MS will bring him in as QB coach... This will give us some stability on offense when and if Kyle takes over the HC role.. Kubiak can naturally slide into the OC role.  (this is assuming that Shanahans stick around)

the past where we always give up on players and coaches too soon.  Marty for one, and number of players who all went on to career success elsewhere.  The bull **** that has plagued him since he arrived.  You can say that Shanahan in a number of ways has not done well, but that doesn't have to end in his being let go.  I think Dan can absolve himself of any future criticism if he gives Shanahan the last year of his contract.

If you have a  winning season in 2014...great.  

If you don't, and things still haven't improved.  Well, time for a reboot, and nobody at that point would be able to fault Snyder.  He let Shanahan fulfill his contract like he initially promised.  You can say whatever you want about the merits of Shanahan's "five years" comment, but Snyder did agree to give it to him when he hired him, and the bottom line.  It's not like there has been NO success at all. The team does have something to build on for the future.   

Well, many here keep saying Shanahan has "lost the team" etc.  Did you see that last night?  A team that did not try?  Yeah, they lost, but it's not like they laid down.  They came out and built a two touchdown lead.  How does that happen if you have given up?

I like to think that the owner of my favorite teams care more about the long term health of his team than how he is perceived in the media.

Do you honestly think a billionaire like Dan cares about that? Hell no. He wants to win. Maybe he realizes that he has made yet another coaching mistake and decides to pull the plug before it's too late

the past where we always give up on players and coaches too soon.  Marty for one, and number of players who all went on to career success elsewhere.  The bull **** that has plagued him since he arrived.  You can say that Shanahan in a number of ways has not done well, but that doesn't have to end in his being let go.  I think Dan can absolve himself of any future criticism if he gives Shanahan the last year of his contract.

If you don't, and things still haven't improved.  Well, time for a reboot, and nobody at that point would be able to fault Snyder.  He let Shanahan fulfill his contract like he initially promised.  You can say whatever you want about the merits of Shanahan's "five years" comment, but Snyder did agree to give it to him when he hired him, and the bottom line.  It's not like there has been NO success at all. The team does have something to build on for the future.   

I think the biggest objection here is that some fans are worried what Mike might do with all the salary cap money.

Do you let him bring in players that fit his scheme, knowing that he may be a lame duck coach?

Or do you make the change and let the new HC spend that money?

Of course there are some that have had enough of the losing and want to make a change no matter what.

But as Jon Gruden stated, "better becarefull what you wish for".

the past where we always give up on players and coaches too soon. Marty for one, and number of players who all went on to career success elsewhere. The bull **** that has plagued him since he arrived. You can say that Shanahan in a number of ways has not done well, but that doesn't have to end in his being let go. I think Dan can absolve himself of any future criticism if he gives Shanahan the last year of his contract.

If you have a winning season in 2014...great.

If you don't, and things still haven't improved. Well, time for a reboot, and nobody at that point would be able to fault Snyder. He let Shanahan fulfill his contract like he initially promised. You can say whatever you want about the merits of Shanahan's "five years" comment, but Snyder did agree to give it to him when he hired him, and the bottom line. It's not like there has been NO success at all. The team does have something to build on for the future.

Well, many here keep saying Shanahan has "lost the team" etc. Did you see that last night? A team that did not try? Yeah, they lost, but it's not like they laid down. They came out and built a two touchdown lead. How does that happen if you have given up?

Your joking right?

The coaches decided to run a gimpy QB MORE than their pro bowl RB (coaching)

The team disappeared in the second half. So I ask again what are you watching? It's the same story every week. When your team doesn't play a complete game for 60mins and the staff (continues) failing at making adjustments

It's time to think about the coach

Greg Roman will not come to the Skins unless he is offered the head coaching job.

I agree with another fan who said if you keep Shanny then bring in a new General Manager

in the offseason and let Shanny have to deal with him.   All these old coaches want to be

General Manager and Head Coach and it never works out- Mike Holmgren tried and failed at it too.

I would not extend Shanny's contract at all- just let him finish his last year.

I think the biggest objection here is that some fans are worried what Mike might do with all the salary cap money.

Do you let him bring in players that fit his scheme, knowing that he may be a lame duck coach?

Or do you make the change and let the new HC spend that money?

Of course there are some that have had enough of the losing and want to make a change no matter what.

But as Jon Gruden stated, "better becarefull what you wish for".

And my reply to that is can it get much worse than this season if someone new is brought in? What are missing out on? The potential of a turnaround?

Doesn't a new coach have that potential as well?

Well, many here keep saying Shanahan has "lost the team" etc.  Did you see that last night?  A team that did not try?  Yeah, they lost, but it's not like they laid down.  They came out and built a two touchdown lead.  How does that happen if you have given up?

Bolded 1 - Marty staying for his second year here made sense to everyone. He should have gotten a second year. His team started out 0-5, then it won it's next 5 in a row 5-0, and ended the season on a 3-3 record and finished 8-8. That man deserved another chance, What is missing is that this is not 2001 and this coach has been here for 4 seasons. We know what he will bring to the game and team besides we do not need to see Shanahan kept here another year because of what happened with Marty. Marty is in the distant past and long forgotten and nothing that happens to Shanahan will affect how we feel about Marty. 

Bolded 2 - I did see the game last night and I liked what I saw for one quarter, then the team looked lost and confused and stopped playing with a purpose and just started going with the motions. They lost momentum and eventually lost the game. A good coach knows how to coach for an entire 60 minutes and knows how to keep the team focused on scoring in all 4 quarters. A good coach does not start out good then watch and do nothing as everything else falls apart around them. Last years team would not have been content to sit on a 14-0 lead in the 2nd quarter to the Giants and would have kept pressure on them and scored more points. This years team has a motivational problem and needs to refocus. If this years team had played entire 60 minute games we would have won last night. I did see quit on that field and no spark after the second quarter and those players are not stupid. They all knew they were playing for the coaches jobs last night. They didn't care

Was it just me or did it look like dad scripted the first series of the game last night while the younger paced the sidelines and listened in? We would be winning more if the elder was calling the plays because we would run more. I think the Shenanigans will continue through next year. I just hope we can turn this around in one year.

Not just you - I saw Shanny Sr. barking like a hound dog into the headset. I wonder if a reporter inquired to this...

Greg Roman will not come to the Skins unless he is offered the head coaching job.

I agree with another fan who said if you keep Shanny then bring in a new General Manager

in the offseason and let Shanny have to deal with him. All these old coaches want to be

General Manager and Head Coach and it never works out- Mike Holmgren tried and failed at it too.

I would not extend Shanny's contract at all- just let him finish his last year.

Exactly

Hire the GM and let the two clash until Shan hangs himself in year 5. It's inevitable, there are way to many holes to fill in one offseason

Do you honestly think a billionaire like Dan cares about that? Hell no. He wants to win. Maybe he realizes that he has made yet another coaching mistake and decides to pull the plug before it's too late

If he does not he needs to.  I assume Dan Snyder plans on owning this team for the rest of his life, and he is still very young.  Perception is everything.  If the impression is that Snyder pulls the plug too early on Shanahan, just add that to the list of mistakes people already think he has made.

Here's another way of looking at this.  If Shanahan was fired, how long do you think he'd be without a job?

What are missing out on? The potential of a turnaround?

Yes, see the 2013 Carolina Panthers.  Most people thought that Rivera should be fired last year.  Look at them this season.

If he does not he needs to.  I assume Dan Snyder plans on owning this team for the rest of his life, and he is still very young.  Perception is everything.  If the impression is that Snyder pulls the plug too early on Shanahan, just add that to the list of mistakes people already think he has made.

Here's another way of looking at this.  If Shanahan was fired, how long do you think he'd be without a job?

I honestly think he'd probably retire but if not, he'd be picked up again.

But then again, Norv got what...two jobs afterwards? What about Wade? Dick Jauron as well

Mediocre coaches get second, third chances. I am thinking your point is that he is a two-time SB Champ but I am a believer in the game passing guys by. 

Well then, the free agency money that is available for a new HC to use to build the team he wants will be gone when Shanahan is fired at the end of next year when we finish with a losing record (my opinion).  ANOTHER dismal defensive showing with Haslett still on our staff because we know how loyal Shanahan is to his coaching staff.  ANOTHER poor year on special teams as Burns will more than likely be retained since it was his first year as Special Team's coach.  Wow, I just can't wait for next season.  Sorry for the negativity but IF this is the direction we will be going in than I am not to thrilled.  Oh well, it is what it is. :(

P.S.  TK, I would hope that you will not ban me for my feelings on this post.  We all should have our right to state how we feel on each individual post in a civilized manner. :)

Why not? He'll just raise ticket prices to cover expenses, and sell it as the NEWEST CIRCUS ACT in the NFL!

Could you imagine the daily sideshow if he is indeed retained for the final year but without an extension?

It would be carnage. 

Hail. 

THere WON'T BE an extension. Shanny and his people want 3 years...Snyder and Bruce want 1 year.. 3 years of 10 or more losses...Norv got fired over that too! Shanny will be a LAME_SS DUCK next year. Book it!

Yes, see the 2013 Carolina Panthers.  Most people that Rivera should be fired last year.  Look at them this season.

The last time he was fired he was out of work for an entire year and I do not think Shanahan has helped his own cause with the multitude of mistakes he has made here any.

The 2012 Panthers an undisciplined team with a very disappointing defense. They had a selfish immature QB who wasn't trusting anyone around him and the coach was under pressure because the QB had not matured into the guy he needed to become and the coach who was known for being a great Defensive mind was failing to motivate the Defense. A year later that coach has seen his QB mature and has seen him rely on the guys around him more then trying to do it all himself, and his Defense live up the expectations.

What exactly is Mike Shanahan known for? Good running offenses? What has Mike done here? Of course you would say good running offenses but what else is his coaching legacy? Is he known for winning playoff games or Superbowls? He did win those well over a decade ago so not really current. What else?

What are we losing holding this man to the standard that we expect a winning competitive team put on the field?  We had 5 games in prime time this season and he led us to a 0-5 record. I don't expect to win every game but I sure don't think that is the result any of us want. We need to be competitive and moving in the right direction. I don't think we are moving in the right direction being that we now own the second worst record in the entire 32 team league. If the fans have no expectations outside of "The coach finishes out his contract" then the owner won't have any expectations either.

Yes, see the 2013 Carolina Panthers.  Most people thought that Rivera should be fired last year.  Look at them this season.

And I can use the Chiefs as a counter-argument. As well as the Harbaughs. And Arians/Pagano. etc. 

After four seasons that were mostly terrible, I'd say getting new blood in has as much of a chance at a turnaround (if not more) than staying put

And my reply to that is can it get much worse than this season if someone new is brought in? What are missing out on? The potential of a turnaround?

Doesn't a new coach have that potential as well?

This is what I keep coming back to...what are we scared of losing or hoping to preserve by staying the course?

Shanahan is 24-36 which is exactly a .400 winning percentage. I'm guessing the BEST he will do is 26-38 over his first 4 seasons here in Washington. That works out to an average record of a little better than 6-10. Three times we will finish with double-digit losses. All of that with one of the highest paid head coaches in the league who is more than a decade removed from leading any sort of perennial contender.

It's just as likely that some man none of us has heard of can right the ship. It's time to move on. This is coming from someone who LOVED the hire and has only recently felt the need for a change.

Exactly

Hire the GM and let the two clash until Shan hangs himself in year 5. It's inevitable, there are way to many holes to fill in one offseason

Sorry,  but I disagree.

I dont see how anything good can come out of bringing in a GM next year, and keeping Mike S.

All it will do is create a power struggle which will ripple down thru the whole team.

If Shanahan and or Bruce Allen are not fit do their jobs, then they need to go.

Now bringing in a GM in 2014 and letting Shanahan walk, is prudent, otherwise just wait till 2015.

Are the Redskins an attractive landing spot for a new head coach? I think that's another fair question to ask.

IMO, yes. The only downside is not having a 1st round pick. However, it's starting to look like the Skins will hold the 33rd overall pick in 2014 which is almost a first rounder.

I know I am bucking the common opinion but if you look at the team Shannahan inherited vs. is the current team (not records but the players on the teams),  I'll take the current team everyday of the week (and twice on Sunday). The cap penalty was imposed on the eve of free agency, well after the trade for RG3 was in the books. I am of the opinion that had Shannahan known about the cap penalty prior to the trade for RG3, I doubt he would have made that trade and left the skins without prime draft picks or free agent money for the next 2 or 3 years. He was railroaded by the cap penalty after he made the RG3 trade. Rather than mortgage the future to compensate for the cap penalties, for the most part he dealt with them in those years. We are just now coming out of the hole Dan Snyder and the previous regime dug. I have no issues with about a 3 year extension to see what he can do now that the failings of the previous regime are completely behind him.

He's living off of two Super Bowls he won in the 90s with a hall of fame QB & RB. John Elway has done a better job as an ambassador for Denver bringing in talent and recreating a winning culture.

I don't think the game has passed mike by, it's clear being a head coach and GM is asking to much. He would be a great offensive of coordinator.

I know I am bucking the common opinion but if you look at the team Shannahan inherited vs. is the current team (not records but the players on the teams),  I'll take the current team everyday of the week (and twice on Sunday). The cap penalty was imposed on the eve of free agency, well after the trade for RG3 was in the books. I am of the opinion that had Shannahan known about the cap penalty prior to the trade for RG3, I doubt he would have made that trade and left the skins without prime draft picks or free agent money for the next 2 or 3 years. He was railroaded by the cap penalty after he made the RG3 trade. Rather than mortgage the future to compensate for the cap penalties, for the most part he dealt with them in those years. We are just now coming out of the hole Dan Snyder and the previous regime dug. I have no issues with about a 3 year extension to see what he can do now that the failings of the previous regime are completely behind him.

Why three man??

Why three man??

I was thinking 3 or 4 more years total when I wrote that. The foundation he built is there. That would give him a few years to build the team his way. Also, a little coaching stability in RG3s early years could pay big dividends in his development within the system he was drafted to play. If we are not headed in the right direction in the next couple, 3 years, dump him before his last year of the extension.

Yes, I don't think too many in here would attempt to argue that the 2009 team was better than this one. But, in four years, I think we should be much further along than we are. The cap penalty is definitely a contributing factor, but it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card.

I said it would be stupid to fire him this year. It say something about message boards when the most rational, majority (of people off this site) opinion on an issue is expressed, it is treated as crazy talk. The groupthink is a definite condition on this site and others. You guys are kind of in a bubble, imo.

It has nothing to do with group-think; I've been pretty critical of Shanahan since he got here. 

Archived