Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over 25 Million Reasons Why Shannahan Most Likely Won't Get Fired

TK

7 million to buy out Shanny. Roughly 5 million to fire his staff. That's 12 million.

You're looking roughly on average 5 million to buy out a college contract for Summlin or Briles. You're now at 22 million.

Add another 5 million for a new new head coach's contract. You're now up to roughly 27 million. And you still have to pay a new coaching staff which would run another 3-5 million.

That's 30-32 million dollars to fire Shannahan. Or 25-27 million if you don't buy a college coach's contract.

Either way, Dan Snyder's not throwing that much money away.

Well then, the free agency money that is available for a new HC to use to build the team he wants will be gone when Shanahan is fired at the end of next year when we finish with a losing record (my opinion).  ANOTHER dismal defensive showing with Haslett still on our staff because we know how loyal Shanahan is to his coaching staff.  ANOTHER poor year on special teams as Burns will more than likely be retained since it was his first year as Special Team's coach.  Wow, I just can't wait for next season.  Sorry for the negativity but IF this is the direction we will be going in than I am not to thrilled.  Oh well, it is what it is. :(

P.S.  TK, I would hope that you will not ban me for my feelings on this post.  We all should have our right to state how we feel on each individual post in a civilized manner.:)

P.S.  TK, I would hope that you will not ban me for my feelings on this post.  We all should have our right to state how we feel on each individual post in a civilized manner. :)

This statement is dumbness on your part & tells me you have never actually read the Rules here. :)

This statement is dumbness on your part & tells me you have never actually read the Rules here. :)

Maybe I shouldn't have P.S. and made the statement I made but did you really have to reply with such a statement?????  Thanks, Bro. 

The cost to switch from Shanahan to a new regime would be based on the incremental amount not the cumulative value. Doing nothing will cost Snyder the 7million HC salary + $5million for staff or $12million total.  How much extra does it cost to get a new coach?  You list $5million for HC + 3-5million for staff so a switch costs $8-10 million or $13-$15million if he buys out a college contract.  If the new HC costs $2million less per year than Shanahan then one might deduct those future savings to the cost of the switch (say years 2-4 or 3 x $2million = $6million savings).  Total net cost of switching = max $15million minus $6million saving = $9million.  Considering the ridiculous amounts that Snyder guaranteed to over-the-hill players I don't think an extra $9million is going to factor into his decision making.

Rufus T beat me to it!

Pretty much my feelings on why he'll (sadly) be back that final year. 

There's a few more reasons I keep thinking he'll be back as well. 

Such as rational football people (foreign concept here, I know) :) realize Griffin hasn't really progressed this year. Main reason being he rehabbed all off season & wasn't there to run the offense. Which means this year's offense is still last year's offense. I think the only new wrinkle I've seen this year was a triple read option. Once. That's it. Griffin is going to take time to develop into a pocket passer. It's not going to happen over night. And it may not happen until after next year. A full, complete offseaon should do wonders for him though. Remember, Peyton didn't develop into Peyton over night either.

To be consistent math, it needs to be pointed out that Shanny and staff will be paid either way.

Shanny and staff- 12 mil

New coach and staff-12 mil(?)

So, keep Shanny and staff-total cost of 12 mil

Fire him- total cost 24 mil

So the actual cost is 12 mil using those nuimbers.

That's pretty much how I was looking at it:  $12m is the cost to get rid of a disease and $10m - $20m to bring in the cure.

7 million to buy out Shanny. Roughly 5 million to fire his staff. That's 12 million.

You're looking roughly on average 5 million to buy out a college contract for Summlin or Briles. You're now at 22 million.

It may be the effects of Thanksgiving on me, but are you suggesting that both Summlin and Briles will be bought out?  Is that why you're going from $12m to $22m?

And, do we have to go that route?  We couldn't pick up a nice OC already in the NFL and not have to deal with buyouts?

To be consistent math, it needs to be pointed out that Shanny and staff will be paid either way.

Shanny and staff- 12 mil

New coach and staff-12 mil(?)

So, keep Shanny and staff-total cost of 12 mil

Fire him- total cost 24 mil

So the actual cost is 12 mil using those nuimbers.

Either way, you're on the hook for 12 mil. Dan won't throw away 12 mil just to spend another 12 mil plus.

Sometimes you have to ignore sunk costs, take the hit and move on. Or you can keep paying Shanahan and his staff. If you honestly believe you need a new coaching staff it is better to move on instead of throwing more money into a lost cause.

There's a few more reasons I keep thinking he'll be back as well. 

Such as rational football people (foreign concept here, I know) :) realize Griffin hasn't really progressed this year. Main reason being he rehabbed all off season & wasn't there to run the offense......

This isn't the thread as similar discussions are on going all over the boards; save to say IMHO our ongoing problems are FAR more reaching than just the QB, and the big problems he does have are not helped out in any way, shape or form by those that should be guiding and helping him.

Hail. 

Could you imagine the daily sideshow if he is indeed retained for the final year but without an extension?

It would be carnage. 

Hail. 

And there's the 60 million dollar two part question. Extention? And if so, for how long?

Could you imagine the daily sideshow if he is indeed retained for the final year but without an extension?

It would be carnage. 

Hail. 

Which is why I don't think the money is much of a factor. So, you bring him back for next year, you have to give him an extension. Then, if he flops next year, do we not fire him because of the money again?

I just think that's part of the cost of doing business.

Though I have no idea how the assistants' contracts look.

And there's the 60 million dollar two part question. Extention? And if so, for how long?

I honestly don't know but it would media suicide, particularly in Washington with all the scrutiny that goes on with this team; to not extend him if you let him go into 2014. 

A lame duck HC coming off another double digit loss season would be the distraction to end all distractions. 

Hail. 

Snyder's thrown away millions on this team before, Shanahan would just be another write-off.  Norv, Marty, Zorn, all had years remaining that Snyder had to pay for them and their staffs.  And that's not even talking about wasted money on players not on the team.  Unless money's tight nowadays, I can't see the money being a deciding factor for Snyder.  Wasn't that one of Snyder's attributes, that he's willing to spend the money?  That includes paying to get rid of people.  If he thinks the team needs a new coach, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Snyder's thrown away millions on this team before, Shanahan would just be another write-off.  Norv, Marty, Zorn, all had years remaining that Snyder had to pay for them and their staffs.  And that's not even talking about wasted money on players not on the team.  Unless money's tight nowadays, I can't see the money being a deciding factor for Snyder.  Wasn't that one of Snyder's attributes, that he's willing to spend the money?  That includes paying to get rid of people.  If he thinks the team needs a new coach, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dan's been holding the purse strings pretty tight these last few years. He won't throw money away for the hell of it. Bruce & Shanny had to get creative to pitch a raise for Danny Smith in order to re-sign him his last year here. Remember, they also wouldn't cut Fat Al for an entire season unless he paid money back.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18388_6-logical-fallacies-that-cost-you-money-every-day.html

For instance, let's say you're in the market for a replacement computer, and the best thing for what you want is a $500 PC. However, you've always been a Mac user and recently dropped $600 on a wireless Apple keyboard (yeah, you went with the cheap one). Now, even though you like everything better about the Dell (it comes with its own wireless keyboard that wasn't built for someone with tiny, elf-hands), and it's twice as cheap as the nearest Mac equivalent, your brain will tell you not to waste the money you spent on the keyboard.

So, in the name of not letting the keyboard go to waste, you buy the Mac.

This is what's known as the sunk cost fallacy: a mechanism in your brain that tells you to spend money on something, simply because you've already spent money on it. In the above scenario, if you were a perfectly rational being, you'd realize that the ship has sailed on that $600, and it had every cent of every purchase you've ever made on board. The only thing that should figure into any economic decision is the money and possessions you have in the present tense, and how they can be best used to make your life better in the future.

But thanks to the way your brain is wired, you're likely to go about this exactly backwards: screwing over your future self in order to stay loyal to decisions you made in the past.

I know that, since it's not my money, it's really easy for me to suggest Snyder just eat ~$30 million to move on, but the problem is that this season is unique. Management has to decide, and soon, where this franchise will be in 2 years. They can no longer try to think 1 year into the future, and it's because of the bizarre situation the team is in right now:

-There are some key young FAs on the team (Davis, Orakpo, etc.) that either need to be let go, or signed to a contract of a decent length for a decent chunk of cash

-There is no 1st round pick next year, the last year the RGIII trade is in effect

-This team is going to have a significant chunk of cash coming off the cap penalty. It could shrink or grow depending on signing/cutting some of our own players, but it's going to be a lot more than the pocket change they've been playing with the last couple of years.

-RGIII, barring something catastrophic, will have a full and healthy offseason with the team.

Now, if the plan is to keep Mike around with the idea that Kyle will take over the reins in 2 years, then none of this matters. Mike and Kyle can get on the same page and plan for the future during the offseason. GM Shanahan can plan for his next year, while getting OC Shanahan's input for how the future will shape out. Mike stays on, maybe a cheap 1 year extension, probably not. No harm, no foul.

But, if the plan isn't to keep Mike after next year, and Kyle's not going to take over, this offseason is key. Letting Mike get in a FA splurge and another draft, only to bring in a coach that might have completely different philosophies for 2015 will be a huge blow to everything we hope to do next year. Bringing in the future coach this year, instead of a year later, means that whoever it is gets an incredible situation to set his team up right away. FA money, input on key team FAs this year, a draft weakened with no 1st but with some great money to make up for that...it's a great scenario for any potential coach.

If you know Mike's not the future, and you sign him to a 1 year extension knowing he'll be cut anyway, how much of a waste is that? It's not like Shanhan is likely to take a $500k extension to avoid being a "lame duck" HC. It'll take a significant amount of money to get him to sign it. Cutting Mike and his crew and then replacing them will be expensive, no doubt. But it might not be as expensive as dead cap money for prorated bonuses in a couple of year to get rid of all the players that don't fit the scheme anymore.

Besides, what's the cost to replace this entire coaching staff, vs. the cost of Fat Albert's "services" for the 2010 season? That's the kind of thinking that need to be applied to this situation.

Add another 5 million for a new new head coach's contract. You're now up to roughly 27 million. And you still have to pay a new coaching staff which would run another 3-5 million.

That's 30-32 million dollars to fire Shannahan. Or 25-27 million if you don't buy a college coach's contract.

Either way, Dan Snyder's not throwing that much money away.

I don't agree with the math on this.  If Shannahan and his staff are fired then you're only throwing away $12 mil for no service in their final year.  All the money spent on a new coaching staff is for coaches working for you and being "productive.".  Whether it's in 2014 or 2015, Snyder's going to have to pay a new staff or extend the current one.  That's money that's going to be spent either way.  

If Danny was willing to hand a $20 mil check to Fat Boy, then I think he'd eat the $12mil for letting Shanny and staff walk with a year left.  

I think there's a real possibility that Shanny is here next year.  I hope ES can behave in a sane manner. :)

I still think the best thing that could happen for us in the long term is...

We keep Shanny and sign him to a one/two year extension.  He uses the cap money well, and Griff gets better in the offseason.  We fire Haslett and grab a good DC.  We make the paloffs the next two years.

Then, we turn the keys over to Kyle and he leads us into the next decade.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think it could work out.  I think the odds of us going this route and suceceding are better than the odds of us bringing in a new regime and succeeding.  

Let me get this straight, just hypothetical but the team finishes 3-13, RG3 continues to take a beating with this broken down offensive line, no hope for that defense, and the over all team is dismal and makes absolutely no improvements over these five games, Shanahan will be retained? I cannot see that. TK your thread only have one sided hypotheticals also. Say Shanahan and staff gets a new job when fired would that salary not be offset? Say Shanahan retires, how would that affect the staff being paid? Who is to say Snyder hires a college coach or GM hires a college coach because this may be the direction Snyder takes with a competent GM for once?

Archived